It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Traffic Stop Video Epitomizes Everything that is Wrong With Police Today

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

I'd have taken it to traffic court because there was NO Probable Cause for the stop.

he didn't film the initial stop when they must have asked the driver for ID and told her why she was pulled over right.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Visitor2012
Cops are relentless tyrants, ignorant idiots in costumes, insane jack boots, a waste of tax payer money and a drain on the moral fabric of every nation.

I think the same of anyone who lumps all of anyting into one big pile. Lives are still saved by good cops and personally living by a prison where escapes happen, if they thought a person in a car looked like the guy I hope they would find a reason to pull the person over.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: schadenfreude
I dunno, if that policeman gets away with a deliberate lie/s there's something wrong. A senior officer in England made up a story about a fracking protester by saying that he had drink on him, and drove to the protest drunk as an excuse to have him arrested. The protester, a doctor video'd the whole conversation but his camera was taken off him after arrest, however the police didn't get the video retrieved, because the Dr had it encoded. Anyway the camera was returned and the Dr published the video and it resulted in an internal enquiry. One NY fireman on Andre Stockett's Facebook timeline who is studying aspects of the law, says the police broke several constitutional rights dealing with Stockett, and he's putting the video up at his firehouse for colleagues and visiting police.

edit on 4-10-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

totally not trolling, but there's been something wrong with law enforcement since 9/11 & the odds are its being done on purpose. Its been proven that cops lie habitually.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: halfpint0701
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

I love his reply when the officer says he looks like someone with a warrant.
"That's every black man"

Sandusky is 15 miles from me (it's where Cedar Point is) and the cops will pull over anyone for the most bs reasons just to run id on everyone in the vehicle looking for warrants.

FYI: Stockett did have a warrant out for "Failure to Appear" in court, but I think that was just a lucky guess on the officer's part lol. When they booked him for obstruction and ran his id, they arrested him for the Contempt and Failure to Appear

Stockett Mugshot

So it appears he DID fit the description of someone the police were actively looking for. Mug shot is pretty particular looking. I think he knew he was busted, didn't like it, and decided his rights were being violated. There are a lot of videos of unscrupulous cops doing sketchy stuff, but this ain't one of those.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: schadenfreude
a reply to: smurfy

totally not trolling, but there's been something wrong with law enforcement since 9/11 & the odds are its being done on purpose. Its been proven that cops lie habitually.

The idea is to make people think they have no hope, just give in and bend over. Thats why we're seeing so many threads showing this stuff, they are conditioning people to be compliant.
However, all people gotta do is get a lawyer and push it through the courts. If everyone did that this crap would stop.
There's an app that can upload video direct to the internet for safe keeping. I'd suggest we all start using it.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

How many cases have been settled nationwide, costing TAXPAYERS hundreds of millions of dollars b/c of qualified immunity.

lawsuits AINT the answer.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

How many cases have been settled nationwide, costing TAXPAYERS hundreds of millions of dollars b/c of qualified immunity.

Agreed. The answer, in this particular case, is for the guy to have shown up for his court appearance. Failing that, to have realized he would eventually be spotted and arrested, which is what appears to have happened. I don't understand his complaint.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Of course he's a black man who fits a description of someone they're looking for. This is probably not the first time that month he was searched by the police, because he's black.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Of course he's a black man who fits a description of someone they're looking for. This is probably not the first time that month he was searched by the police, because he's black.

Must we cry "racist" EVERY TIME a black guy gets arrested? The guy DID have a warrant out for his arrest. The cops, upon recognizing him, arrested him. Not because he's black, because he failed to appear. Happens to everyone of any race who doesn't show up in court when they're supposed to.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

The cops, upon recognizing him, arrested him.

If they recognized him then why did they call him by the wrong name?

Fact is they didn't recognize him and they had no business pulling them over in the first place. The cop said they were pulled over for not having headlights on that is on the recording. It was daylight and no rain. BTW here is something about headlight laws in Ohio. Even if it was raining.

The Ohio headlight law has been in effect since January of 2010. The law states that if your windshield wipers are on, you must turn on your headlights.

"I didn't know you could break the law if your lights weren't on and your wipers were," said Lindsey Fiehrer.

The law is a secondary offense, meaning officers can't stop a car for this violation, but can cite the driver if they were stopped for another violation. Many local police departments admit the law is rarely enforced.

"As a secondary law, it's probably no enforced a lot by law enforcement, because when it is raining we are trying to keep an eye on the roadway ourselves," said Lt. Brian Curlis, Monroe Police Dept. "But it is a law and you need to be aware of it because it is to protect citizens."

Lieutenant Curlis says his department hasn't given a citation to someone violating the headlight law.

But violators can face up to a $150 fine if issued a citation.www.fox19.com...

The entire stop was simply profiling.
edit on 4-10-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Profiling of??? Because he is black? I'm not so sure. If they're pulling every car with black occupants I think there would be some news of that.

If you're correct that the stop was illegal to begin with, the video should be plenty of proof, as the cops mentions several times what the alleged initial infraction was supposed to have been. I'm wondering if it even matters though, seeing as how he was an occupant of the car, not the driver.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

Agreed. The answer, in this particular case, is for the guy to have shown up for his court appearance. Failing that, to have realized he would eventually be spotted and arrested, which is what appears to have happened. I don't understand his complaint.

His complaint is ppl getting sick of going to jail over "contempt of cop" which is a bs excuse & everyone KNOWS it.

The fact that the cops actually fell upstairs on a warrant doesn't change the facts & everything else that happened prior. Or do you not get that?

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Cops in this are so full of bs.

Cop : you're headlights are off
Profiled black guy : what's that matter? Its daytime.
Cop : its after sunset. (He says this as the sun glares into the camera lens)

Also since when is not providing ID grounds for taking a couple's newborn baby away. The total lack of any empathy or human emotion from the main cop is sickening though the guy in orange seemed at least the tiniest smidgen human. He did say buddy.........

I still think Ebola is a bioweapon but lately I've brown far more frightened of the growing fascism. It's not long before they give up all pretensions.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   
The police are acting like pigs and are above the law and things will only get better when people stand up to the police and take the law into their own hands.

Talk all you like but it will do no good, meet force with force

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   
This video seemed a bit suspicious to me so I typed the authors name in a search engine...

Dudes got a rap sheet a mile long.

Ninety-three prior convictions...

No wonder he has such a good understanding of his rights.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Dudes got a rap sheet a mile long.

Ninety-three prior convictions...

No wonder he has such a good understanding of his rights.

See? A prison education is good for something after all. LOL I love the irony of this guy actually having an outstanding warrant. I bet his 'girl' is probably glad to be shed of him. After thinking about this, I think it speaks highly of the perp's actual concern for the kid in the backseat. What an absolute loser of a human being. Me, me, me.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

What an absolute loser of a human being. Me, me, me.

The police officer, I agree.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

I;m not sure about most states but in some states the passenger does not have to give his information...he's considered the same as a field interview....

Actually a Supreme Court ruling that came out of Arkansas restricts the ability of an officer to "demand" identification from a passenger. The officer can still ask and if the passengers comply its on them. That ruling applied that standard to all Us states / territories etc.

The problem is if they really believe he fits the description of someone with a warrant then it is reasonable suspicion and he does have to id himself.

Correct

But fact is they are lying and full of # and just want to id him.

The officer stated he looked like someone with a warrant. Not really sure how that is lying, although I can see how it can be perceived that way.

As for the search -
Plain view - Did the officer observe anything illegal in the car.
K-9 - SCOTUS has ruled a K-9 on the outside of a vehicle is not a search that falls under the 4th amendment since it takes place outside the vehicle. While the 4th amendment applies to a motor vehicle, it does not have the same level of 4th amendment protections as a residence would have.

The standard to make a traffic stop is reasonable suspicion, not probable cause, so he is wrong on that point.

The behavior of individuals in a car can be taken into account. Your 5th amendment rights do not apply unless you are in custody and being asked guilt seeking questions. In this case his attempt to claim the 5th is invalid. When you do invoke the 5th, you cannot pick and choose what questions you will answer. You cannot make a statement on the issue and then invoke your 5th, it does not work that way.

The passenger has no lawful grounds to protest a search of the vehicle.

traffic law requires headlights dusk to dawn.

A traffic stop does in fact fall under the 4th amendment, but does not rise to the need for a warrant. Its a temporary seizure under the 4th that has limited time constraints set by SCOTUS. On average a routine stops should last 15-20 minutes. Anything over that time frame requires the officer to justify. With that said the time frame is not absolute, so if you are stopped you cant demand to leave at the 15-20 minute mark. A traffic stop is a lawful detention and as such, the movements and actions of the individuals present in the vehicle can be restricted.

The second possibility is what's called an investigative traffic stop. Those usually are more in-depth and detailed and will require the officer to justify the actions with provable facts / information that led to the contact.

The passenger is required to provide identification based on the officers observations about a possible warrant. If the system shows an active warrant, it creates reasonable suspicion to detain the individual. Once the warrant is confirmed, the probable cause exists to make the arrest.

The presence of an officer out of uniform, the comment about an investigation, etc tells me there might be more to the story than what we know. If the vehicle has been used in the past for illegal actions / drivers criminal history, passengers criminal history / tips received / etc are all factors.

As for the children being taken - IF they were threatened to have the children taken if they did not consent to a search then you have a valid argument as is it becomes coercion at that point. However, if the driver and passenger were going to be arrested then CPS could be involved to care for the children until family / relative could take custody.

With all of this said I am merely explaining the law enforcement side. You don't argue with the officers. That is what the courtroom is for
edit on 5-10-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I have another post above that touches on some of the abuses....another abuse is k9s....ive seen officers pull every car that is older than 1990 for anything they can find and do a k9 search cause he felt he had some precursor. Dog would get a hit and then they would find nothing...or maybe find some shake on the floor board. The problem is how much officers are bending the law to try to make an arrest. There are some places who arrest for dui if you admit you smoked weed within the last week....They then take you for a drug test and of course they piss positive. Dui then sticks because well...they pissed positive even though they weren't impaired while driving...just their statements alone. DUI's are big money for departments because of all the grants coming in. I'm all for stopping dui's but that is bull# right there. There is this pressure on cops now to produce results and generate revenue. It has become a for profit group and it is wrong.

Another thing I saw was any officer even being slightly bumped charging people with aggravated battery. In the state I was in they changed the law to state that the officer had to be "hurt" before you could charge agg battery. Which is sad cause its basically a free shot on an officer now, but officers were abusing the law. So now I see cops stating they are hurt when they clearly aren't..and the best part is....some are getting disability when they have nothing wrong with them and can back it up with the agg batt they were just a victim of.

Everyone is fed up...cops and civilians. The system is awful.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join