It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Native Americans knew something that is blind to society.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Lets not forget human sacrifice to appease their idols. While I'm sure you're talking about the northern " Native Americans " Those southern ones sure were vivious to their own and others....There is no such thing as a perfect society on this planet...Never was, never will be in our current duality driven world.... a reply to: solemind4

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: boncho

In the end, mother nature can still destroy us, but if you ask most people what would they choose, even if they say otherwise they tend to go in the direction of modern convenience/invention.

I choose the modern conveniences/inventions and use them in a way that works with nature. That way, if the modern conveniences go away, I won't be at too much of a loss. I could adapt quickly. I haven't forgotten who the boss is.

I've read all of your replies to this topic and what you say does make sense to me. But you and everyone else are overlooking one simple fact: Modernization and technical advancements are detrimental to our survival if they are not in sync with nature. Meaning, if they don't work WITH nature. You're right, mother nature rules the roost. What we try to do though is make advancements in the hopes of making nature not be able to kill us en masse. Like a 9.0 in California or an 8.0 somewhere underwater in the ring of fire that brings a tsunami to where there is a large concentration of people.

Working with nature via the technology we have means, among other things, not allowing mass populations to live in places where nature is known to wreak havoc. The problem I see with the people who are capable of inventing, perfecting upon and using the technology that advances societies, is that they are egotistical beyond belief. They truly believe that nature plays second fiddle to their inventions because their inventions allow them to understand how nature does what it does. Like what causes an earthquake for example. They seem to not understand the difference between understanding something and controlling something. You can understand all you want, you will never control it. But since they are some of the brightest minds around from a technical standpoint and can make things the average layman cannot, the average layman tends to look up to them and listen to them. The blind leading the blind if you will because neither side is taking into consideration the importance that nature plays in it all.

Have you ever heard the saying "Water finding it's own level"? No matter what type of container you put water in, or what type of basin that rain falls into, water will conform to the boundaries imposed by that basin and level itself off. It will conform to it's surroundings, it will not try to impose the nature of itself to something else that restricts it. Water may be the most important thing on this planet and to us as one species on this planet, but even water knows the importance of knowing it's place in accordance to everything else.

Too bad we don't.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: solemind4

S&F - This is a response for all of the ones who are bashing.

The US constitution is a great document, but our government doesn't follow it. Does that diminish the value of the constitution or does that only diminish the freedoms of the ones living under it?

The law is beautiful, the Native American Religion is beautiful, how do bad Indians diminish the value that came from those who were obviously of character, virtue and love?

Everyone is guilty. The world has always been infected with evil machines who keep trying to call themselves human and convince everyone else that materialism is better than spirituality, peace and love.

These non-humans do not believe in the light that shines within all men. But they cannot diminish the faith of those who know the light.

We are all connected to Eywa and the tree of souls(life) Avatar. Only some don't yet have the eyes to see, but sight is a gift that is coming soon.

edit on 4-10-2014 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-10-2014 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: boncho

In the end, mother nature can still destroy us, but if you ask most people what would they choose, even if they say otherwise they tend to go in the direction of modern convenience/invention.

The reasons why most choose to go with the modern is because for one they are lazy living off the land is too much work and for others it's because it's all they have ever known. Look at how many people never leave the city they were born in the closest they ever get to nature is a trip to the city park. People fear the unknown.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I hate how people think that natives are special and mystical. Let me tell you this. Here in New Mexico, they laugh at people like you.

I know a native that would use his Nativeness to bang white women on the east coast.

Don't fall for this crap.
edit on 4-10-2014 by BerenstEiner because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Saying "Native American" is like saying "African" in terms of generalization. Look at ancient Congo and ancient Ethiopia. Both were in Africa but nothing alike. The native tribes in the Americas differed greatly and, while what you say may be true for some of the tribes, it's impossible to apply that to all of them.

The tribes and regions had different customs, laws, religions, and societies. While all of them shared some similarities, they weren't all the same.

If you want to get into the meat of true indigenous customs that were here before the Europeans, focus on some particular tribes. There are some that operated very much like you describe. Likewise, I have tribal ancestry in my very own family tree that had very different views on life and our responsibility to maintain harmony.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I don't think it's "blind to society". It just depends on where you go, I guess. In a inner city, yes, I'm sure it is, but if you go into the country, like Appalachia, I think you'll find many people who live by these commandments, knowingly or not. When cultures clash, nothing good will come of it on any side.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Why do so many seem to think that Native Americans were living in a peace loving non-violent nature utopia?

Evidence of previous warfare[edit]
The skeletal remains of the villagers also showed evidence of earlier wounds. According to the 1982 dissertation entitled Osteology of the Crow Creek Massacre by P. Willey, evidence of previous warfare is present in the skeletal remains of victims found in the mass burial. Two individuals had survived previous scalping incidents, and were in the process of healing, which was indicated by the bony re-growth of their skulls; a third individual had survived a head injury as indicated by "a healed depressed fracture in the frontal".[16] Others showed evidence of being wounded by arrows, the points of which remained in the legs and were overgrown by bone.[7]

The massacre[edit]
Many of the bodies are missing limbs; the attackers may have taken them as trophies, scavenger animals or birds may have carried them away, or some limbs may have been left unburied in the Crow Creek village.[17] Authors Willey and Emerson state that "they had been killed, mutilated, and scavenged before being buried".[18] "Tongue removal, decapitation, and dismemberment of the Crow Creek victims may have been based on standard aboriginal butchering practices developed on large game animals".[19] These are among the mutilations discovered at the Crow Creek site. In addition, scalping was performed, bodies were burned, and there is evidence of limbs being removed by various means. As stated in the Willey’s dissertation, many of the mutilations suffered by the victims of the Crow Creek massacre could have been traumatic enough to result in death.[20]

A conservative estimate of villagers who suffered scalping is 90%, but it could have been as high as 100%. This is based on skeletal remains that exhibit cuts on their skulls indicative of scalping.[21] Men, women, and children were scalped; the only difference was that younger children were cut higher on the skull than other groups.[22]

Crow Creek Massacre

The Omaha war parties varied from eight to a hundred warriors. All members of the party were volunteers. The leader was usually a well-known warrior who had demonstrated his skill in battle. The warriors are reported to have worn a white covering of soft, dressed skin for their heads. No shirt was worn, but a robe was belted about the waist and tied over the breast. No feathers or ornaments could be worn at this time. In actual battle, the warriors wore only moccasins and breechcloth.

Conflict among the tribes

Among the reasons various Native American tribes fought against one another were security, revenge, honor, pride, and the capture of booty. Making war for security's sake could be either defensive or preemptive. Revenge entailed the counterattack of the aggrieved tribe and could spawn a whole cycle of violence as in the case of the Mourning War among the Iroquois. In this type of warfare, attacks and reprisals were made to fill the gap made by losses in the community. Likewise, captives taken in raids could be adopted into the tribe as a means to fill the gap as well. Numerous Native American groups made war on one another as a means for their younger warriors to gain honor and to prove their abilities as leaders. The acquisition of honor worked to complement the gain of pride. Warriors might take the scalps of those they had killed in battle, both for spiritual purposes and as a token of their martial abilities. Likewise, booty, captured on a raid, both provided material support for the tribe and demonstrated the prowess of the warrior who had taken it. Wars could also be fought over territory and resources, as was the case in the Beaver Wars. Tokens of martial ability stand as one of the commonalities of intertribal warfare.

Intertribal warfare

While many tribes may have lived closer to nature the simple fact is it is only because they were still primitive in their life style. Some tribes had great philosophers but most were like the rest of us and suffered the same fates of man we still suffer from today. Many many Natives adapted 'assimilated' fine while others cling to the old ways, much like we have today; one sector of society is clinging to the ways of the 20th century and whiles others want to run headlong into the 21st. It is out dated technology that is to blame for how we live in my opinion.....well and our choice to participate in this system.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: solemind4
I have been studying lately how the Native Americans used to live, until the white man came and destroyed them.

While everyone knows the Christian Ten Commandments, The Native Americans had ten commandments of their own:

1. Treat the Earth and all that dwell thereon with respect.
2. Remain close to the Great Spirit, in all that you do.
3. Show great respect for your fellow beings. (Especially Respect yourself)
4. Work Together for the benefit of all Mankind
5. Give assistance and kindness wherever needed.
6. Do what you know to be right. (But be careful not to fall in self-righteousness)
7. Look after the well being of mind and body.
8. Dedicate a share of your efforts to the greater good.
9 Be truthful and honest at all times.
(Especially be truthful and honest with your self.)
10. Take full responsibility for your actions

Those Native American ten comandments sound a great deal more righteous and worthy (and much less ridiculous as well) than the biblical ten commandments. Looks to me that the Native Americans were more wise and more righteous than the biblical god indeed.

edit on 4-10-2014 by DenyTraitors because: typo

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

6. Do what you know to be right. (But be careful not to fall in self-righteousness)

All thrown out for firewater.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I'm not in any way defending the animals that murdered and raped Native Americans and their lands.
But it wasn't all fine and dandy before the white man came...but we all know the saying :

Do as I say, don't do as I do.
edit on 4-10-2014 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I have been studying lately how the Native Americans used to live, until the white man came and destroyed them.

That's a pretty great list... but...

Btw, energy can't be destroyed. Life is energy. 'Native Americans' (Indians? I HATE euphemisms and political correctness, it's not honest) are lifeforms. Therefore, 'Native Americans' weren't destroyed, and could never be destroyed.

(We could of course talk about whether a continent, country or 'nativeness' is the true identity of an eternal energy entity, often called "soul" - but that's beyond the scope of this reply)

Sounds good on the surface, but I can't ever respect cockroaches, flies, especially banana flies, or anything that mercilessly slaughters, murders and / or devours animal or human flesh. Ok, there's a slight error of thought in that sentiment, but I hope the reader can still understand what I meant.

I can't respect stupid people.
I can't respect feminists.
I can't respect politicians.
I can't respect liars.
I can't respect murderers.
I can't respect thieves.
I can't respect deniers.
.. and so on. This rule is both unrealistic and not very well-thought. Perhaps in their small tribes, living amidst the nature, before all that tragedy happened, it might have been possible for them. Maybe there weren't cockroaches or banana/fruit/drain/ordinary flies there back then.

But then again, even indians murdered animals to eat their flesh and exploit their skin. What gave them that right? Honestly, I want to know the answer to 'what gives anyone the right to murder an animal of any kind, let alone a human being'. Some people seem to think something just hands them a right to do that, but I'd like to know where that right supposedly comes from, and why a sentient lifeform would ever have such a right.

This is common sense and wisdom - at least on the surface. Do you really need to be very spiritual when you are taking a dump, for example? I think "in your daily life" would be sufficient. What does 'remain close' mean in practical reality anyway? That you can't have thoughts that don't include the Great Spirit? You have to pause between sentences when you speak to think of Him? Or you in some way intertwine the 'feel of His presence' even when you are sleeping? They must have had a great control over their dreams and all, if they can truly dictate something like that in ALL they do.

I get the point though - you shouldn't do 'godless' things, forget the Great Spirit when you are doing something, because the result of that action will then be soulless and awful, even if it seems impeccable on the surface. I wonder if the ones who thought of this list remained close to the Great Spirit..

I agree to the extent, though, that 'holiness' should be present in our everyday life. But I think in _ALL_ you do goes a bit far. You can't keep a solemn presence every single second of your life, especially because you can't really control your dreams or sleep usually. And what if you fall in a coma or you hit your head and become unconscious? How do you follow this rule, then? It's too strict, in my opinion.

Besides, wouldn't it diminish the meaning of the Great Spirit, if you had to include him in the most mundane tasks, like chanting for a minute before flicking the light switch.. "Aumm.. I am going to .. auumm.. hit the light switch.. auumm.. may the holy electricity fill this room .. auumm.. with its blissful magnificence.. auumm..", with eyes closed and in a prayer position..

Soon all your time goes to simply sitting in prayer and you starve to death, because you think of flicking light switches too much during the day or something. That's obviously not PRACTICAL.

Didn't we already go through this? Why is the same thing said twice, just worded a bit differently? Or are "fellow beings" different guys from "all that dwell"?

These 'commandments' are both UNCLEAR and TOO STRICT at the same time, as well as being IMPRACTICAL. The Bible's Ten Commandments are at least clear, to the point, practical and are not too strict at all.

In fact, LAW is based on those commandments (and precedent cases of course).

Is it me, or are these commands very vague?

This is something I would definitely agree with, though - but aren't working for smaller groups allowed? I mean, my DREAM is to work for the 'whole' or the 'good of all', but why does it have to be all mankind (and why are 'Together' and 'Mankind' capitalized? They are not names)? Isn't that a bit much for just a small human being, trying to survive in the wilderness? Indians certainly fought some of the mankind, so I guess this bit wasn't so important to them.

If things are arranged properly, everyone could work for the 'common good of all', and a planet could be a paradise for everyone, all would have to work only a few hours a week, and yet everyone could live better than Bill Gates.

So this part does have a bit of a point, but again, it goes to the extreme, and becomes too strict - and at the same time, is extremely vague. How is one supposed to work for all mankind? Is picking berries for your tribe working for ALL MANKIND? If not, what should one do, and can't one pick berries? And if it is, then what wouldn't be?

It's a nice sentiment, but it's not very clear, or practical, again. It sounds to me more like philosophy than a commandment. Like, 'I am thinking of all mankind when I pick these berries', or 'I will make sure that I won't litter, because someone else might want to enjoy this scenery later', or something like that. Well, maybe it made more sense from their point of reference.

By the way, what scale is used? 'All mankind' of the immediate area? 'All mankind' of the country? 'All mankind' of the planet? 'All mankind' of the solar system? 'All mankind' of the galaxy? 'All mankind' of the Universe? The physical plane? The astral plane? The mental plane? The causal plane? You see my point? The scale is not specified, so which is it, and why is it exactly that? And who gets to decide what it shall be? And can it ever be modified?

Kindness that comes from a commandment, is not true kindness.. "I don't want to give you kindness, but the commanndment said that I have to, so here you are". Does that sound honest?

These sound more and more like philosophical guidelines than practical commandments for everyday life.

Btw, who determines, 'where' the assistance and kindness is needed? Needed by WHOM? What if an evil entity needs assistance - will you give it to her, and then sweeten the deal by also giving kindness? Isn't it important to differentiate who we give kindness and assistance to, and what the end result will be?

What if Custer came to the Indians and needed assistance in slaughtering the neighbourg tribe - would he be given kindness and assistance?

We usually think of situations where someone is starving in the forest and being attacked by a bear, and then a kind assistance is offered and the bear is avoided, the starving individual is nursed back to health and then he falls in love with the lead female actor and..

In any case, these sound mostly good on the surface, but when you start to think about them, they do not seem completely clear, wise or practical. And they do look like philosophical guidelines for attitude direction, rather than clear commandments of how to live and what to do (and not to do).

Besides, what if assistance and kindness is needed somewhere very far away? Should I abandon my life just to go fulfill this commandment? Before planes, a trip to another continent and back could take years in all practicality (you wouldn't want to come back right away after such a long and tedious trip). What if assistance and kindness is needed on another planet? Then this commandment becomes ludicrous or impossible to follow, unless you are very lucky. Is its purpose to create guilt?

Why are all the commandments like this - they are like strict blanket statements. WHEREVER needed. No exceptions. Not 'wherever practical' or 'if needed near you' or anything. No. It's WHEREVER needed. How long would it take to travel, say, 7000 kilometers during those times? 14000, if I plan to come back, of course..

Furthermore, what about the QUALITY of assistance needed? What if you are unable to do it, you should still try and fail and make things worse? I mean, you are not qualified, and you have to do it anyway? What if it's a trivial need that someone else can perfectly well do by themselves? Like picking up the remote control from the floor, and not being able to, because they got too comfy? Should you travel 7000 kilometers for that? I think there should be some LIMITS.

So.. anyone's "right" is justified. Feminists KNOW that all men are rapists and should be brutally murdered and have their evil penises cut off so they wouldn't breed and form more patriarchies. The indians are actually encouraging this? Just because someone feels something is right, doesn't mean that it IS right. This bit is a bit too trusting in the wisdom of human beings - masses generally are not wise at all.

Besides, would anyone deliberately do what they know is not right? Isn't everyone rationalizing even their bad behaviour, so that it becomes 'right' in their mind anyway? Whatever people do, they think it's the right thing to do, whether it's commuting by polluting contraptions to planet-destroying, mass-indoctrinating, soul-sucking corporations and back. 'You gotta earn your living!', they rationalize, so it becomes something they 'know to be right'.

Does that mean they should keep doing it as long as possible? Does it mean this planet can sustain that kind of mass-madness?

No, it doesn't. I think they were wrong with this. Don't do what LAW says is wrong. That would be a much wiser sentiment, that doesn't let the individuals decide their actions completely freely, without morals or protection of others' rights.

Rights have to be protected, or they can't be used, in which case they lose their meaning, and humanity is just a bunch of meaningless slaves.

And soul?

Why only mind and body? Those are the least important parts of the human experience of the soul.

This is a pretty obvious thing, though - who wouldn't want to take care of their tools? But it IS a bit unclear, vague, and becomes pretty meaningless. So, HOW shall we do this, o'master? How do you 'look after' your mind? Do you mean you let the mind go, and then watch it from behind, letting it lead you?

As we all know, mind is part of the ego. It's often called "ego-mind" for that reason. So, only ego and body should be 'looked after'. What about the astral body, etheric body, energy flows, chakras, meridians, the soul, the spirit? If the Great Spirit should be there with us in all we do, why not here as well?

Body is easy to take care of - exercize, food, drink, rest, hygiene, clothes, shelter, defacation, urination, sexual urges.

But how do you 'look after' (I always find this idiom weird, because I can't help thinking of it literally) the mind? By reading books? Meditating? Debating? Praying? How? And why should you pay so much attention to the ego anyway?

Wouldn't this happen automatically, if I worked for 'all mankind'? Why is this again a repetition of an earlier clause, just worded differently? And now it's just a 'share' of efforts, now it's not just 'work' or 'in all I do'..

It's a bit confusing and unclear - and who gets to determine the 'greater good'? Politicians?

Obviously gathering sticks for firewood so food can be prepared for the tribe is for the greater good. But in modern times, it's a little bit trickier.

I wasn't aware that indians were 'american typoists' - I guess they should be called 'native american typoists'. That's "yourself", not "your self". You don't have any "others", you only have "a self", so it's one word, not two.

As I aim to be as honest as possible in everything I say and do, I would definitely save someone from torture by lying. I mean, if it meant physical pain or losing a digit or something, and it was up to me to save someone, where telling the truth would condemn them to that awful experience, and lying would set them free and guarantee safety from that torture, I would definitely lie.

I am all for honesty, but .. AT ALL TIMES? That goes a bit far, although many probably wouldn't have thought to hear this from me.

Honesty is the basis of humanity - without honesty, anything you build, will be built on quicksand.

But I would definitely lie in certain situations, because I'd rather sacrifice myself and do something that, btw, I KNOW IS WRONG (!), than sacrifice someone else so I can keep a shiny and glittering conscious. It's more right to save someone from physical pain or permanent injury than to be honest in such a situation.

I would agree if it was 'be honest in most situations and most times', or something like that.

Better yet, why not let people decide for themselves, whether to be honest, or not? That way, they carry full responsibility, and their honesty comes from their core, instead of a commandment. Honesty that comes from a book/text/commandment, is not true honesty.

Only when people have a choice between good and evil, and they then still choose good, is the choice to be good worth anything.

I think anyone who is willing to take responsibility, would take the full version, instead of the preview version.

I don't have a problem with this one - unless you were drugged, hypnotized or something. I mean, can you really take full responsibility, if you are in a state of mind where you are not 'fully there'?

There can also be situations in which someone accuses you of doing something that they think is a crime, but you don't see it the same way - so do you 'take full responsibility and admit to being a criminal', or 'take partial responsibility, and admit to the deed but not the notion that it's a crime'?

All in all, this is still a wise thing to say, but it's such an obvious, common sense-statement, that I can't imagine why it needed to be written. Were indians somehow notorious for not taking full responsibility of their actions?

So what if one of them helped Custer, when he was a kid - does he have to take full responsibility for what happened as a consequence?

That's the samee problem anyone faces when helping any stranger - what if the stranger is evil, and uses your assistance for evil purposes? Then you have helped evil, and now you have to take full responsibility for it..

Their way of life is far, far different from the way we live today

Who is this 'we'? Speak for yourself anyway.. I pretty much live like that anyway, as far as possible - but those things are very vague, so it's easy to interpret them to mean almost anything.

I think indians did have a lot of wisdom about their lifestyle, and their respect of the Creator, as the Great Spirit (an accurate description of the Universe, actually), is undeniable.

But there were many kinds of indians, and those commandments are not as wise and good as it looks from the first glance, as you hopefully can see. They are not always practical, they are repetitive (same thing differently worded a couple of times), they don't even mention the crimes that people could do, like murder, theft, fraud, etc. - and those commandments really wouldn't prepare any tribe for everyday practical life with modern people all that much (especially the exciting immigrants from exotic parts of the world, living upstairs).

I think there is way too much automatic respect given to the indians, just because of what 'the white man' did to them. Yes, always the 'white man is evil'-mantra still dictates how much of guilt every pale-skinned human should feel, although THEY as individuals never did anything bad to anyone.

Perhaps it's this guilt that makes non-indians look at indians and think they possess some unearthly, heavenly, divine wisdom and breathe the Great Spirit itself. When the truth is, they are just another bunch of humans, whose ancestors had a good experience on the planet, and probably felt a real, deep connection with the nature, the planet, the Universe and all. And who still murdered animals and used the skins of the innocent for their own, selfish needs, without mercy. Yeah, they might have 'apologized' for them later on, or 'asked for their skin' or whatever - but does a dog really feel glad to give its skin to you just because you ask? They don't understand words. Just watch some 'Dog Whisperer' to see how dog psychology works.

So if I apologized to your dog and asked for its skin, it'd be ok for me to come to your house, blow out your dog's brains and make a meal and a hat out of its bodily remains, and carve some utensils from its bones?

Just because an animal isn't a pet, doesn't mean it doesn't feel exactly the same kind of feelings as a pet would. Just because it's not a human possession, doesn't mean that humans have any more right to slaughter it.

I hate cockroaches, but I have never killed even one. (I am not going to say 'not one', because that can be misinterpreted) I refuse to kill even cockroaches - I just don't want them near me, that's enough for me. Why isn't it enough for others?

In any case, yes, there is some wisdom to those common sense-sounding commandments, but basically they only look good on the surface, but haven't been very well thought-out. Yes, Indians have been wise in the past, but it doesn't mean that every word a modern indian types, is made of pure, divine gold that blesses you when you read it.

They are humans, too, and they have egos, they make mistakes, they have misconceptions, they have errors in judgment, they are misinformed, they are just like any other humans. It'd be racistic to claim otherwise. But somehow the romance and charm of the 'olden times', 'before the white man', makes the modern city-dwellers starry-eyed and nostalgic, and type these 'respect the 'native americans'-messages and posts.

I have talked with these 'native americans', and they seemed like pompous know-it-alls, probably because their egoes were stroked so much by the city-dwellers. So anything they say was met with admiration. It's like being surrounded by admiring yes-men all the time - it's hard to keep your sense of reality and sense of perspective with you. Even Bruce Lee struggled with this.

These 'native americans' are not magical, levitating gods from another galaxy - they are just human beings, who have gone through their own, individualistic karmic experiences. Their ancestors may have had some wisdom with them, but that's bound to happen when you live and are forced to survive in nature with only primitive tools and the tribe to aid you. You kind of want to get along.

Relieve them of that tribe and nature surroundings, and put them to live in a city, and see how they turn into just regular 'dudes', with the regular problems, like anyone else.

'NA'-worshipping is not healthy. Just stop it, already, and realize that wisdom is not localized or tribalized - no one group of human beings or other entities has ownership of wisdom, common sense or truth. Recognize the wisdom in multiple other groups as well for balance, and then see the 'NA's as they truly and really are, instead of this romanticized Disney-fueled image of the 'noble warrior' (like such could ever exist - a war doesn't make anyone noble) and the 'wise shaman' (though undoubtedly, some ancient Shamans were wise in ways that the only the Zen-masters, visitors and Deities can match).

Wisdom is not the exclusive right to the 'NA's. Look at ancient Japanese, Chinese, Egyptians, Atlantians (especially the trained priest-class). Look at Extra-Terrestrial visitors, and even the 'Great Earth-Thinkers' throughout the history. You can find history from the ancient Greeks just as well as the Indians.

Oh, talking about Indians - how about Peru Indians - should they also be called 'Peru NAs'? Or Mexican Indians?

I think the word 'Indian', as silly as its origin is, is more useful and descriptive than 'NAs', because, let's face it, if we go down that road, shouldn't the VIKINGS be the true NAs? So whenever someone says "NA", I would just assume they talk about Norwegians...

Btw, 'living' doesn't require a 'way'. Like Bruce Lee said, 'We don't live for, we simply live.'

edit on 4-10-2014 by Shoujikina because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: solemind4
"When the white man discovered this country, Indians were running it. No taxes, no debt, women did all the work. White man thought he could improve on a system like this" - Cherokee

Awesome...clearly I have underestimated the Native American wisdom...how do I join such a society, where I don't have to do any work?
edit on 4-10-2014 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Should ALL Native Americans be lumped together as One Mind?

I hardly think so.

If they had bonded together as One Mind, this would probably still be their country.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Now those are 10 commandments can understand and tend to follow in my daily life. The Native Americans had/have a deep respect for our planet and Mother Nature. These commandments focus on positive aspects of life rather than the negative and what you are doing wrong.

Above I see positive personality traits and the importance of treating all living creatures with respect and honesty. Below I see the words no ad not over and over. Don't do this and don't do that! Positive reinforcement has always impacted and influenced me much more than negative reinforcement.

You shall have no other gods before Me.
You shall not make idols.
You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Honor your father and your mother.
You shall not murder.
You shall not commit adultery.
You shall not steal.
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
You shall not covet.

edit on 4-10-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: eta

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It is sad that everything the op touched on manifested through replies. If you guys are so upset and feel like your offended its because its true. The whole cannibal, enslaved each other, and tribe vs tribe thing is the oldest reply the oldest damn thing ever. Anytime someone mentions africa or the original north american peoples, that is what follows but it is completely inaccurate.

All thrown out for firewater.

How intelligent.

While many tribes may have lived closer to nature the simple fact is it is only because they were still primitive in their life style.

I think the second we stop worshipping the material aspect of reality. The worlds cultures will look like the ancients ones. Using whats around you instead of cancerous plastic. Remember the root of primitive is prime.

Lets not forget human sacrifice to appease their idols.

You must be studying from the new curriculum. The one that excludes the part about native americans committing genocide on other tribes.. owning slaves.. cannibalism.

On the other hand though, if we had stayed in the times of tribes, we would be missing out on every technical advantage including medical, not to mention all the other sciences. The human race needs to evolve and it needs to mature and its not going to do that living in longhouses shooting venison for food.

The sooner humanity develops and becomes a type I and more importantly a type II species, it will most likely be able to remedy all the problems its caused with nature and begin to look outward at expanding the human race.

You are ignorant of the tribal world that is why you make such bold claims. The civilized world has learned more from the tribal world than the other way around. The concept of medicine comes from these people. They will not tell you about c sections in Africa and surgeries in Asia with no anesthesia and no pain. The tribal c-section in the tribal community had 0 deaths while civilized europe could not even perform the task with modern instrumentation. The european/ westen way of life will prohibit us from ever reaching that point. Take, Take Take, Take Take Take, Destroy and pillage in the name of the civilized and remove all of the earths resources for comfort. We can not have the baby of the human family as the head. The idea of technology comes from the tribal way of life where things were created in order to simplify the days work. You will exclaim that technological advances are purporting us through evolution. Yeah with the invention of the tv remote, the self driving car, and the nuclear bomb. Right.

The quotes above reflect the darkest and sickest mindset that has ever existed on this planet and we exclaim its from the most evolved or 'civilized'.
The tribe is a natural result of the human family. So I disagree with 99% of the people here that would trade harmony for modern convenience. Every single thing that is "convenient" to you has a backlash. Plastic =cancer for example. Harmony is a very HUGE concept that western people have no clue of. You think your technological advances are helping humanity. Like the iphone with idiots lining up around the block just to check facebook. The arrogant attitude hasn't changed since european peoples settled on this land. They stole a bible and some science from someone and went haywire from that point Chaos can never understand harmony so I can't expect anyone to understand the original indigenous way.

Even with all of the wars on ancient North American soil, no one ever deliberately destroyed peoples libraries, offspring, history with the intent on making sure their story never can see the light of day. You can't convince me that anything the westerner does is 'civilized'.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

I agree however you make the mistake to assume that competition between tribes is a bad thing. Or hunting or anything that present a risk of death. Sorry but you have lived in this society for so long that you forgot that Nature doesnt include only pretty things. Death is a necessary part which keeps balance among species. Humans arent an exception. As much as the western society try to increase lifespan and reduce risks of injuries by using "science" they fail to notice that while they focus on upgrading their comfort, they regressed in every other aspects which can be seen everyday as society plunge deeper into madness and depravation and stupidity. To put it simply, only technology is the strong part of current civilization, the rest is behind even the middle age time. And dont worry it will soon reach the turning point.

So yeah they fight and they kill but its nowhere near the viciousness of the white men back in the 1800 or at any point of the history in fact. There is a kind of tacit respect in these tribes you will probably never understand because it doesnt exist here in the Illusion States.

Metaphysically speaking the natives are way way ahead of any other culture. In the occult it is agreed that Shamanism is the most ancient form of magic, the Mother of all magic practises of today. It is not to be underestimated believe me. The only reason the natives were destroyed is because they didnt expect others civilizations to be so primitive in their minds so focused on materialism and full of hypocrisy and deception. Their downfall was to not have expected such vile barbarians to exist.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
the old teachings of the native americans aren't a bad thing to start living by....especially with what's going on
around the planet now.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

References to acts of cannibalism are sprinkled throughout many religious and historical documents, such as reports of cooked human flesh being sold in 11th-century English markets during times of famine. Here, an engraving by Theodor de Bry depicts hungry Spaniards cutting down the bodies of thieves hanged by Pedro de Mendoza in order to eat them. (© Stapleton Collection/Corbis)'

Source

What is that saying about those who live in glass houses?

Any thought?

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace

You must be studying from the new curriculum. The one that excludes the part about native americans committing genocide on other tribes.. owning slaves.. cannibalism.
You bring up a lot of good points, but the majority of that is overly romanticized malarky.

Also they polluted the land/water just as much as their European counterparts for their era.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join