It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A solar cell that stores its own power: World's first 'solar battery' runs on light and air !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   
This article IMO is really a big deal if I am reading it correctly. There is a question with regards longevity but they have already extended the life of the cell/battery by using rust to a great extent... Interesting

Is it a solar cell? Or a rechargeable battery? Actually, the patent-pending device invented at The Ohio State University is both: the world's first solar battery.

phys.org...

The invention also solves a longstanding problem in solar energy efficiency, by eliminating the loss of electricity that normally occurs when electrons have to travel between a solar cell and an external battery. Typically, only 80 percent of electrons emerging from a solar cell make it into a battery.

With this new design, light is converted to electrons inside the battery, so nearly 100 percent of the electrons are saved.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Isn't that just a Freeloader with an air intake?

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

The problem with so many of the amazing discoveries I read about, they never see the light of day for the public.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Really neat, I hope it is as efficient and useful as they say.

My real concern is from the OP:

The U.S. Department of Energy funds this project, which will continue as the researchers explore ways to enhance the solar battery's performance with new materials.

The university will license the solar battery to industry, where Yiying Wu, professor of chemistry and biochemistry at Ohio State, says it will help tame the costs of renewable energy.

So it's funded by a government agency (so tax dollars) and it's obviously being patented by the school (else there would be no licensing to the industry).

So we pay the school a license fee to use a technology that we paid them to create. :/

edit on 4-10-2014 by Elton because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7
it's said; "you can kill a man but you can't kill an idea"
..all these potential solar/battery cell things
might never see the light of day (rimshot)
but when every person on the planet
gets the same idea in their head
"freely we have received, freely we shall give"
(this free dispersal of "sunlight", energy & sustenance)
we could finally have a peaceful world
and they'd make the final part 3 of 'the tripods' series

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

That's because they don't pan out for various reasons, yet the hype and sloppy reporting from the media would make you think that the tech has no problems and is right around the corner.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I was ready to buy when I read the title.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
If the US Dept. Of Energy has a hand in it, then I have to assume that we will get no real benefits from it. They will make the version that nickels and dimes our wallets to death. If someone could make one of these for their home, then they could become independent of the energy company. That's when I'd get excited. Until then, it doesn't even matter because nothing will ever come of it. It will be suppressed.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
That's when I'd get excited. Until then, it doesn't even matter because nothing will ever come of it. It will be suppressed.

So they started the suppression by alerting the media to the story.....

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Excellent!

Now to ditch the gas-burners they say we need to generate elec. for elec. cars, homes.

"portable rooftop energy generation optimization/passive fuel-cell technology?"

Ain't creating or destroying energy reserves; just utilizing what is in our midst!

www.youtube.com...
edit on (10/4/1414 by loveguy because: no embed?

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Wonder how long before the big oil industry tycoons swoop in and buy this one out so that they can lock it up in their hidden archives along with MANY other wonderful ideas and plans that would make this planet a much better, safer, and cleaner place to exist.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune
Well if they alerted the news media then you can be sure that the technology is "many decades from being beneficial". Sorry, but I have no trust in these people. None.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

Blame crappy science reporting, not the scientists.

new topics

top topics

join