It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need a little help with packing a Ladies, Bug out bag.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: iclimbtowers

I've read the whole thread but want to mention an item you've not listed and I believe no-one else has either.

Needle and thread. Things can get ripped or just fray or tear. Or straps on a backpack can start to let go. It's always worth having a needle and thread kit handy. And if needed, you can stitch wounds closed as well. (Sterilize the thread in alcohol first if it's not from a sterile pack.) Needles are also good for digging out splinters and thorns before they can cause serious infection.

Someone mentioned earplugs. Good idea if you're where you don't need your ears open and you want to rest. Just BTW, tampons make great ear plugs. (I learned that from a lady friend. Not kidding. I went to visit her one day after calling the day before to arrange the time. After I'd rung the doorbell about 20 times she finally opened it and was standing there with a tampon stuck in each ear... We had a good laugh about that. She explained she was being distracted by some noise from next door, so...
)

In you're in a place with lots of bugs/mozzies, they'll keep them out your ears as well.

Another item: a few clothes pegs. Besides being useful for hanging up clothes to dry, you can also use them to close any plastic/cellophane bags of food that you've opened but not completely used. Keeps out bugs, keeps the food fresher. Just fold top of the bag over a couple times and clamp shut with a peg or two. I use them all the time at home.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
"Need a little help with packing a Ladies, Bug out bag., "

Well... of course you want to include all the things mentioned here so far, but since it is for a lady, you better be sure to pack an extra bug out bag containing several pairs of shoes for her. Can you imagine the bad mood a lady would be in while bugging out and not having all of her shoes?? The ladies love their shoes ya know.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I am in no attempt "mocking" anyone or the forum.

Perhaps I have not explained myself in enough detail.

Obviously we want to drive, If that's a viable option, 600 Miles is about a 10 hour drive. I completely understand that would be a very long walk. However I tend to lean towards optimism everything would work out either way.

Yes, as I previously mentioned the reason I am short on food, isn't that we don't have dry goods in our house, the reason is I am trying to make these packs a bit lighter. I do understand even 3 days of food would not get us to the first bug out location, scenario depending this bug out location is no where near Nuclear power plants, the other location is a 24 hour drive, where we live is mainly jam packed with people and cities.

Obviously it isn't optimal to have to travel so far to bug out. The 600 mile place is where we like to take our vacations so if its a driving bug out, and things haven't gotten too bad yet, we could just call it a vacation if things calm back down.

So with that said, I do have skills, I tend to be a great problem solver, I can fish, hunt, and find berries that won't kill me. The first 3 days of food would be great to get us out of the city area, and to an area where we can get food, of course if we're driving i'll just throw the whole pantry in the vehicle.

Hopefully this explains it a bit more.

I am open to ideas on how to store food that won't be so heavy, I had thought of making some home made beef jerky and sealing it with a vacuum seal, however I don't have a dehydrator on hand or a vacuum sealer.

I don't have any interest in mocking this forum, if I'm naive and it comes to light, I appreciate that, it will help slap me with a bit more reality and may save my life.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

I have a location in the wood's far from anyone, with a wood burning stove and a full stock of wood, and a full propane tank just in case, and a great amount of food, however its about a 600 mile journey from me, and that's where the bug out come's in.

We could stay there forever if we needed to, we have the ability to hunt and fish, plenty of wild herb's and berries wander the forest's.

I was wondering if there was a viable alternative to TP, All of these item's become a space issue, unless we have the option of driving of course.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: JustMike

Yeah, that's a great idea, and I won't even need to purchase it, I carry one with me on the road for work, I never know when I'm going to lose a button off a pair of pants!

Ear plugs I will need to invest in, I was thinking about getting the ear plugs that allow you to hear ambient noise and blocks out anything louder than talking ie gunshots.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: SoldierCarryingHashbrowns
Don't forget Tampons. Or she may prefer pads. but i think tampons would be easier to carry around.

Yeah, throw the tinder in the bin, Tampons will do the same job.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: iclimbtowers
a reply to: SoldierCarryingHashbrowns

That's an excellent point, eventually we may have to find a safe alternative to such things as we would run out.

She's currently on a shot form of birth control so she doesn't get her period however I don't think we could just find that sort of stuff laying around, nor would I have the expertise to inject her properly with it.

I'm also on the shot, dunno how true it is because I've been on it for almost three years now, but I've heard that if you randomly stop the shot, you're likely to not start your period again for a few months. Not that it helps after the few months if it's true, but hey, any information helps. Also, giving someone the shot isn't that hard, though I understand where you're coming from. As long as it goes in the ass muscle or the top arm muscle, you're good to go. I'd say that until you got used to giving her the shot, it might be a little painful for her. Though finding the shots might be hard. Maybe if it's within your means to do so, see about getting a IUD, because those can last years at a time.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
As far as things to add to the bag..
-Rubber Bands/hairties.
-Rain Ponchos.
-A small can of Dry Shampoo. (I know this sounds shallow, but women are very specific about their cleanliness, and they will have problems adjusting the most, I think. A can of dry shampoo will at the least make her hair feel a little cleaner while you're traveling. Which might put her in a good mood. Happy wife = happy life)
-Hand sanitizer. If something happens to your rubbing alcohol or peroxide, you could use this to disinfect wounds.
-Those paper masks from doctors offices. If you run into people who COULD be infected, you'll want these.
-Toilet paper.
-Deodorant.
-A couple of comfortable sports bras. If possible, she should leave wearing one. If you have to run for whatever reason, and she was 'gifted' with large breasts, she'll be thankful for this.
-A couple of candy bars.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

tampons make great tinder too i have em in my bob and im a dude!

I used one for an air cleaner on my bike once. Worked perfect so
stick that in your knowledge bag and are you serious OP?

I'm just not sure you should bug out if you're already running
into problems like this. Some folks will be better off to just
designate a team, lock it down and defend that perimeter
if one is established. Because bug'n out puts you at the
mercy of untold, unknown perils.

Fortify and defend first! ALWAYS!
edit on Rpm100414v192014u04 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Yes, I am serious, the most preferred option is to bug in, the last resort is to bug out.

That's why the bag's are a work in progress, obviously if something happened today and we had to get out, I would pack food from the pantry which is ample in supply, and clothes from the closet's.

So the vitals which aren't yet packed easily could be.

I just know where I would plan to go if we made it there would be entirely safe as the house only has 2 entries and one could be easily sealed off. The land is in the middle of no where, and there is fresh game galore for miles in any direction.

The obvious hope is we don't have to go anywhere. I enjoy my house, although its in a smaller town, its still located in a town. Which makes things more complicated.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

That sounds better then.

I just like to make sure people are aware of what
they may face upon going out. As long as you know
how up in the air it all is, once you put yourself there.
Remember the things that multi task because the
lighter you can travel the better. e.g. would be a
mag lite great lighting but even better defense
in close quarters.

Just Mikes point on a needle and thread is one
that always gets missed. To add to it a large enough
needle for fishing line. I fix things one time only
sewing with fishing line.

Yes I sow and very well I might add. Learned watch'n
mom.
edit on Rpm100414v08201400000013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

This thread so far has thankfully added a few more items to the list, and I am grateful for that.

I used to spend my younger day's camping for days at a time, at one point I lived in a tent down by the river, I know it would be rough especially with other people about attempting to survive as well. Things could get very dangerous.

- I also have just packed a small plastic container for each bag, with an assortment of small hook's in variable size's, and some small sinker's, with a few pieces of a plastic worm, which I could use with fishing line and a stick, or a small games snare made for water.

Will have to throw in some fishing line at a later date as I don't have any spare in the garage.

Just some food for thought, someone may one to add to their kit. (it probably weighs less than an ounce and is 1.5 inches x 1 x 1.5

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Hope you don't have to go anywhere. But if so, be alert
and be safe, you hard core bug out, prepper maniac.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Thank you randyvs,

And the same to you stay frosty.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Don't forget the tampons!!! Ive got a nail file and nail clippers in my "earthquake bag" because I know that dirty nails would bother me. Also hand sanitizer and feminine hygiene wipes are in there too, the essentials.

If you're worried about getting prego, I'd keep a couple months of birth control along with a few boxes of condoms in case the bc runs out.

Oh, and welcome to ATS! Great first thread and contribution to the site!! Star and Flag!!

That was my first thought too, lol!!!
edit on 4-10-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: eta

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: JustMike

Good call on the needle and thread!!

I just added them to my bag

ATS is grand!!!

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

Thank you, this site has great people who all have something to share!

I will be adding some sanitary wipes to the bag's now as well!

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
For our alternative to toilet paper, you might try cloth, and remember people used cloth diapers for centuries. Assuming you are by a river (and if you're not, youll be dead so...) it will be easy to clean.

There are also leaves you can use in a pinch (ive had to do it, bundle 2 or 3 together so the wont break) and make sure they are not dry... I dont know what is in your area, but you can figure out what is not poisonous.

On the note of keeping her happy, well women and their chocolate... you can keep dry hot chocolate powder forever, and all you need is to boil some water, which you will be doing anyway!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join