It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Si se puede, si votamos! Yes, we can, if we vote!'

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: bhliberal

Isn't that the best? The diversity, the exchange of ideas, the promise of the cultural melting pot that is the United States fulfills itself with all the varied languages spoken with freedoms granted under the First Amendment of the United States Constitution.

The best? Hell, I suck at learning one language never mind two hundred! Good grief, I learned about other cultures with my many foreign co-workers because they spoke English and I could understand what the hell they were saying. I learned some words and greetings in their languages, but could never carry on a conversation. I admit I'm not the brightest light bulb in the pack and there are tons of people like me.

At one time, people came here legally and it was required that they spoke and understood English. People from all over the world could understand each other because they all learned English. I admire those that can pick up different languages. I suck at it!

Actually it's quite fair, and it's on'y wrong that people don't embrace the economic opportunities that present themselves. How valuable to a company is a bilingual employee? How much more valuable is an employee that is multilingual? Free market economics dictates that if the workforce is multilingual, than the people that are the best fit to run those enterprises themselves must be multilingual to meet the demand of the workforce.

How valuable are they in a damned factory just working with each other? There are obviously jobs where another language is needed, but I'm talking about the ones where they aren't. I am disabled and don't have to worry about it, but I see others losing job opportunities and it isn't right. It is a slap in the face and disrespectful. I would never ever move to another Country and expect them to cater to me and expect them to speak MY language to get a job in their own Country. Good grief! We never had to deal with such things in the past because immigrants were respectful and learned the language of the land.

edit on 10-10-2014 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

Most of this kind of "this is America, speak English" boils down to the same issue. Most Americans are too selfish and lazy to accommodate to reality. They want reality and non Americans to conform to them.

No, we enjoy being able to understand our foreign immigrants so we can get to know them and learn about their cultures and share our lives instead of being segregated. Ever think of that? I would have missed weddings and showers and family gatherings if my foreign speaking friends didn't speak English. It is not easy for everyone to pick up a new language. And with so many languages spoken, it's not like we are going to learn over 200 languages so we can understand each other that is just ridiculous!

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Tavi,

My posts are not being posted in their entirety. Site must be going wonky today.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

We place as little importance on foreign languages as on history. I'm not suggesting you all learn every language on earth but you all suggest everyone else must learn the one you know.

We all learn Spanish or French in school. Guess it's too hard to use it? But it's right to force people to learn English because pressing a button on your phone makes you super angry?

My whole point as always is, stop expecting all of human civilization to accommodate America. They do it too much already and we don't deserve it half as much as we think we do. Let's be citizens of earth not just citizens of America. Being human should be a bigger point of pride than being American.
edit on 10-10-2014 by tavi45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
tavi, bh..

it's nothing to do with americans being too lazy to learn another language...we don't NEED to....

it's nice that other countries are multilingual...good for them...that's OTHER countries, not this one.

why should we be made to change how we live, to accommodate foreign invaders?

i'm sure the germans wouldn't appreciate it if a bunch of americans decided to illegally squat in their country, and demand everyone speak english....i'm pretty sure that would be true of ANY country.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45
a reply to: MarlinGrace

Eh I lack the power to un brainwash you. I guess there are no tax cuts for the rich. Economic forces are created only by the sitting president and have no lasting effect afterwards. Perhaps I gave you too much credit.

All I did was ask where the tax cuts were because I could use them. BTW the wife is a CPA and CFO our combined household income could use some of those tax breaks you spread like a truism. Is it BS or not Travi this is what you claim I am asking for the proof I can stand to save some money.

I'm not jealous at all. I grew up in a top 10 richest place in America thanks to the hard uncomplaining work of my father and his great ability to handle money frugally and intelligently. I was educated well (mostly by myself, since school was a joke and I got into a top 40 college with literally no effort whatsoever). If I had been motivated by money I'd be rolling in it now (obviously you won't believe me but you don't believe anyone so I'm not worried).

Thats priceless born to a rich family, top 40 college, and everything is the fault of rich people, because you are not motivated by money? LOL Then why complain about your perceived income inequality? Since you have run out of excuses now you don't care. You remind me of those rich celebrities making millions while they bitch about the system that gave them the wealth.

I'm literally happier now then I've ever been in my life because I have a job that I got ENTIRELY through my own merits. I didn't use a favor from a friend, or any qualifications or past experience, or game playing to get where I am now. I am working where I am now thanks 100% to my own merits as a human being. I do owe my great quality if character and empathy to my amazing parents and their politically centrist but Catholic born values.

Wow you are so proud of getting a job "ENTIRELY on your own.? OMG thats what the rest of the country has be doing since it's inception. You are special.

So call me a poor, jealous fool but I'm not. I live among the super wealthy. They are my neighbors. They are my friends. They are my family. They are my employers as well as my workers and my clients. Trust me, I'm not jealous. Money is meaningless past that which you need to survive. I see this everyday dealing with the broken children of broken families who think money success every problem. Hell I make my money off this very notion.

I have empathy. I can understand your position. If I wanted to I could argue against illegal immigration. It's not hard. It's so obviously wrong and a problem. It's devastating our southwest and causing cultural, economic, and political turmoil everywhere.. But you're missing the point. It's a symptom not a disease. You've been fed with mainstream ideas too long and lack critical thinking skills (like every rich kid I went to school with). If you could look past your own bubble you'd realize what Jefferson knew all along.

Now we have switched to banking? Then you site a rich founder? You are digging that hole with a snow shovel now. You don't have to link to his home I have been there, as well as Jamestown, Yorktown, Williamsburg (Down the street), Gettysburg, Mt. Vernon, etc. One of the best things to do is go to Williamsburg and listen to Bill Barker in character as Thomas Jefferson. I have read creature of Jekyll Island, Babylon's Banksters, more excuses for someone that doesn't care.

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs". -Thomas Jefferson

www.monticello.org...

I love you. I love the homophobes who wish I was dead. I love the destitute Latin Americans fleeing to the nation that caused almost all their problems.

"Homophobes? Latin Americans destitute? Been to Argentina? Blame America it is the latest trend of the left. In fact blame everyone else for everything you have done a thorough job of brainwashing yourself.

Best of luck escaping the bubble. It's a touch scary to see through it all but it's very very freeing.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

My whole point as always is, stop expecting all of human civilization to accommodate America.

Stop expecting us to continually cater to one culture because they refuse to learn or speak English. All other cultures have done so with respect to their new Country. If you move to a Country where they don't speak your language and want them to change just for you and people like you, that's fine. It is disrespectful and I would never do that.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus

why should we be made to change how we live, to accommodate foreign invaders?

My point exactly. No American citizen should be forced to speak a foreign language in his own Country in order to get a job that has nothing to do with international business or being a translator. I would move to a Country that spoke my language because I am not good with languages. I would not move to a Country that did not speak my language and expect that Country to cater to me in any way. It is rude and disrespectful.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Exactly. America is accommodating everybody but they don't accommodate us. America's the laughing stock of the planet except when somebody needs to flee their own mess. This country's always expected to understand and go out of their way to make others feel at home. But the people who were born here well we're just revenue supporting the "refugees".

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

I think a lot of resentment comes in because we have so many citizens falling through the cracks who are homeless and hungry and struggling and yet foreigners come here and have their needs met. People don't seem to see that we have poor people living in neighborhoods so dangerous that children aren't even allowed to play in their own yards for fear of being shot or whatever. They can't afford to move to a safe place. Where is their help?

Some people don't see or refuse to see that. Instead they feel a foreigner should come first. How can we continue to ignore the plight of our own poor and struggling and frightened people? We can have compassion for all people no matter who they are or where they are from, but we can't save the entire world. We can't even care for our own!

How can people think that we see ourselves as above others when it is the others that are being placed before our own citizens??? When did foreigners become more important, matter more? Many of our people feel abandoned. It is like a slap in the face to them and they are losing hope.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Exactly. America is accommodating everybody but they don't accommodate us. America's the laughing stock of the planet except when somebody needs to flee their own mess. This country's always expected to understand and go out of their way to make others feel at home. But the people who were born here well we're just revenue supporting the "refugees".

Give that man ceeegar...

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
We're all foreigners. When should we have started closing the borders and looking after our own? I guess 1776 cause we had problems then too. Should we kick out the new arrivals? I think Guohau should go. Why are we wasting resources on her when so many Americans of British ancestry are hurting? Let's kick out everyone who immigrated since WWII. They must have brought us down.

America isn't accommodating #. We've never gone to war to help anyone. It's selfish every time. You guys really think we're in the middle East or west Africa out of compassion?

Also who the # is forcing you to speak Spanish? I've never heard of any place in America where you MUST speak Spanish. God the short sighted self centered completely disconnected viewpoints just don't stop........ Can't any of you see the big picture? Do you know anything about history? The exact same bs you guys spew happened with every immigrant group. After a generation the kids are as american as apple pie. I have clients who are immigrants and trust me, our corrupt culture sucks in everyone.

Keep blaming immigrants for problems. They did it in the 1800s and 1900s too. It's not immigrants that our causing our decline. It's our corrupt business and politics plus a culture of hedonism with no morality (real morality not Christian pseudo morality). Every failing culture in all of history tried to go back to its roots at the end. Muslims are doing the same thing right now, going back to outdated traditions to escape feelings of powerlessness.

The way forward is not in going backward. It's never worked. We are Rome. Research the fall of Rome. We gotta try something new.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace
Give that man ceeegar...

we can't....the little dude in your avatar is smoking it...

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45
We're all foreigners.

I'm not, i was born here....to parents who were born here, who were born to parents who were born here, to parents who were born here.....getting the idea yet?

I think Guohau should go.

Why? she's a citizen. I think YOU should go, how about that?

America isn't accommodating #.

it's not? so all the signs i see all over the place in english and spanish, don't exist? i DON'T hafta choose a language option when i call the police, or city hall, or the state house?

Also who the # is forcing you to speak Spanish?

well, nobody's FORCING anyone yet...but it's getting close...

last time i tried to pick up a construction job, i couldn't get it, because the ENTIRE crew spoke spanish, and i didn't.

When i was a contractor for the cable company, my company had to hire a translator for the field, and one for the office, and a number of techs who spoke spanish, because of the volume of customers who only spoke spanish.

I've never heard of any place in America where you MUST speak Spanish.

just because you ain't heard of it, don't mean it don't exist.

God the short sighted self centered completely disconnected viewpoints just don't stop

sorry to break it to you, but you're contributing..

It's not immigrants that our causing our decline.

100% true statement....the first, in your whole rant.

it's not immigrants dragging us down, it's ILLEGAL immigrants....i have no problem with people becoming citizens of this country, paying taxes, contributing to the system, and being constructive members of society...what i have a problem with is foreign invaders squatting here, taking jobs that we could be doing, getting paid under the table, not paying taxes, not contributing to the system, not being constructive members of society, and leaching aid benefits they have no legal right to, that could be used to help people who actually belong here.

yes, there are parallels between the U.S. and the Roman Empire....but i don't know that we're doomed to suffer the same fate....evil men, through evil means could keep the ball rolling, OR the people could turn things around...but that would probably be a bit messier...

edit on 10-11-2014 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

You need to remember that ATS is really about entertainment. MarlinGrace made a good point, this is a waste of time.

Night Star has been coming onto the boards for years posting the same thing over and over. If she doesn't have a text file to just copy/paste she should consider it.

Some people just seem to need a bogeyman.

After a while you stop participating or keep things short.

edit on 11-10-2014 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

My opinions matter as much as yours. There are new people either reading or contributing to these threads who may not have seen my past replies in other threads. You repeat things as well and I never say anything to you about it.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

You need to remember that we are sticking up for the American citizens and for those coming in through the proper channels and there is nothing wrong with that. We don't just blame illegals for things, we blame the government and greedy corporations.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

After a while you stop participating or keep things short.

There are people on both sides of the fence who get frustrated and stop posting or don't bother to post at all. There are even threads I don't get involved with on this topic. It is extremely rare, but it has happened.

We never see eye to eye on these types of issues, but hey, who knows, we may have some things in common that we agree upon.

edit on 11-10-2014 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
My opinions matter as much as yours. There are new people either reading or contributing to these threads who may not have seen my past replies in other threads. You repeat things as well and I never say anything to you about it.

I was pointing out the futility of all of this to tavi45 because that last post seemed like they were taking this a bit too seriously. I used you as an example because we have our history and because whenever I see your avatar I know the "spanish required to get a job and press 1 for english is a slap in the face" is coming and you always deliver.

You need to remember that we are sticking up for the American citizens and for those coming in through the proper channels and there is nothing wrong with that. We don't just blame illegals for things, we blame the government and greedy corporations.

I understand that you think you are fighting the good fight but at times you are just flat out in denial.

Immigrants have always had groups who, like you, had a hard time learning another language. It isn't unusual to see older immigrants who need their children or grandchildren to translate for them, even though they have lived in the US for decades.

They often came together and formed their own ethnic neighborhoods where they could live and interact according to their own culture and in their own language but you seem to want to romanticize past waves of immigrants to cast a negative light on the present ones.

We never see eye to eye on these types of issues, but hey, who knows, we may have some things in common that we agree upon.

It's nothing personal.

edit on 11-10-2014 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

that's kind of an awful thing to say.

dude, it's not that we need, or even WANT a boogieman....and i wouldn't even call it a boogieman, because the implication is that it's something to be feared....governments are really good at cooking up boogiemen to keep the people of their countries afraid, compliant, and willing to voluntarily not exercise their rights(also knows as "giving up" one's rights), all in the interest of combating the latest "enemy" (see: boogieman).....but i digress...

illegals are not a boogieman, they are just one of many problems we currently face...

coming down on someone for repeatedly pointing out what anyone with a modicum of intelligence should be able to see for themselves, is not only horribly ignorant, but pretty damned cheap, as well..

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join