It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally a place I can actually post a topic on ATS!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Obviously, I am a new member. Greetings to all.

I just found out today that I can't post a new thread topic -- anywhere -- except here. Moreover, and I may be wrong on this because I managed to find the info through a Google search given it was impossible for me, as a new member, to navigate the forum to find the info, I apparently can't create a new thread topic anywhere on ATS unless I make at least 20 replies?

I have seen forums that mandate (yes, the correct word is mandate) replying to 5 posts at the most. What's the rationale for having to reply to 20 existing posts -- other than a form of behavioral modification?

And please correct me (and I hope you do) if a new member does not actually need to reply to 20 posts before creating a new topic.
edit on 3-10-2014 by Petros312 because: omission

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Yeah would have been nice to know before I stumbled onto something BIG and worth posting...Maybe someone else can post it for me until I find 20 things to respond to.

www.stripes.com...

Giant Masonic Symbol...

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Petros312

If you find something that interests you, comment on it. Heck, many members have completed their 20 post requirement just by replying to the posts made in their intro thread.

Chat.

Converse.

What are your likes/dislikes?

We were all new at one time or another.

What do you feel you can contribute to the tribe?

edit on 3-10-2014 by beezzer because: spelling

edit on 3-10-2014 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Petros312
What's the rationale for having to reply to 20 existing posts -- other than a form of behavioral modification?

I think the rationale is the same as having to post to 5 topics before posting a new thread... Only more... I wouldn't call it behavior modification, more like testing the water.

It's EASY to get 20 posts! Go to "new" for new threads and browse through them to find a few that interest you and post away!

Welcome to ATS!

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jaxsmash
Yeah would have been nice to know before I stumbled onto something BIG and worth posting

So then am I correct? --20 replies to existing threads before you can post a new thread?

originally posted by: Jaxsmash
...Maybe someone else can post it for me until I find 20 things to respond to.

www.stripes.com...

Giant Masonic Symbol...

Now that you hijacked my thread to post a new thread topic (even though you're apparently not allowed)...

From the link:
“ 'E Pluribus Unum,' or 'Out of Many, One,' is the name of the landscape artwork, designed to last only a month, by Cuban-American artist Jorge Rodriguez-Gerada. The title, which is the nation’s motto and is found on the Great Seal of the United States, is a tribute to the diverse face of American youth. The artist photographed 30 men of all races, ages 18-25, and created a composite face that is seen partially, at an angle, with only one eye peering out, always watching, no matter the perspective."

--there's nothing in the actual work, which is just a face that suggests Latin or African heritage, associated with any masonic symbol. Furthermore, it's landscape art, designed with gravel and other landscaping materials, that will only last for a month. Then it's gone!

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

What's the rationale for having to reply to 20 existing posts -- other than a form of behavioral modification?

Higher standards.

As you spend time on ATS you will find that it is very well moderated, low on pulp posting and high on quality posting compared to most websites. This is due in part to a well thought out T&C.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
I think the rationale is the same as having to post to 5 topics before posting a new thread... Only more... I wouldn't call it behavior modification, more like testing the water.

5 replies to existing posts might be considered "testing the water." 20 mandatory replies to existing topics (i.e., required behavior to perform by a new member) before (i.e., a contingency) you are ALLOWED (i.e., a reward) the privilege of creating a thread topic of your own, qualifies in every way as a form of behavior modification. The more obvious example would have been creating a system specifically called "points." In the existing case, the points are your replies.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I rode the bus I paid the fare I made it to my destination...

and now that I got nothing to say

I'll say something...

dang ironic face in a place that inside it feels unsettling?

I mean hello, welcome and stay off facebook, ahem.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

It's only behavior modification if we make you wear a hat while posting.

And ATS doesn't do that.

Unless you have a hat, then please wear it while posting.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder

Higher standards.

So, you say a person is required to reply to 20 existing threads before posting a new thread topic because of "higher standards." Higher standards than WHAT exactly? -- than a forum that only allows 5 replies to existing posts (not 20) before you can create your own thread topic? --Because I said 5 replies is understandable, but 20 replies is excessive to the point of behavioral modification. "Higher standards" can only be subjective, as is the case with a forum that is "well-moderated."

originally posted by: CraftBuilderThis is due in part to a well thought out T&C.

Again I can only say, WHAT? I do not even need to look at the terms of service to see that the owners and moderators here can pull any content they want for any reason they want. That does not make for a forum of "higher standards," nor does it justify why someone decided to use a form of behavioral modification on individuals who want enough member privilege to post a new thread topic.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

And ATS doesn't do that.

hey beez, tell it like it is....20 posts before starting your own thread, keeps the one-hit-a**holes out, or at least slows them down a little...the old "shock-and-awe" of one-post, self-promoting, idiots can go somewhere else.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

You have 15 posts as of right now. 5 more, and you can blow the lid off of whatever if is you want to. You will find that this is the best site by far for lots of things. It's extremely well moderated and there are some very intelligent folks here who will share their knowledge freely.

Find a few threads that you like, post in them, and enjoy yourself. This is entertainment after all.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

If you simply respond to everyone who has posted so far, you'll have your 20.

Are you wearing a hat yet?

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Dont forget there are other requirements to posting in certain forums

Wats of ten for the 911 forum

And I think 200 post (might be 50) for the posse forum

I made it..

so can u!

reply to: Petros312

edit on am1020143110America/ChicagoFri, 03 Oct 2014 10:58:54 -0500_10u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

And ATS doesn't do that.

The typical alluding to a form of "paranoia" when someone who suspects that an authority is using principles of psychology to elicit behavior? Sorry but some of us have a degree in psychology, and we're not "paranoid" because of it, nor do we feel the need to wear tin foil hats.

In fact, I'm still suspect about the authenticity of this forum in regard to these terms of service:

21b) Cooperation: You will, if asked by TAN, cease to Post any content, and/or links to content, deemed offensive, objectionable, or in poor taste by TAN, in its sole discretion.

In poor taste?

22b) Editorial Neutrality: TAN provides a forum for the open discussion of a wide variety of subjects, but does not influence editorial control over any particular theory, opinion, ideology, political doctrine, viewpoint or position on any topic in so far as those topics adhere to the rules set forth in these Terms and Conditions of Use and the Terms and Conditions of Membership.

NEUTRAL? You mean like in this way:

24) Right of Community Management. This is a privately owned discussion board community. TAN reserves the right to ... eliminate or edit any content deemed inappropriate for the discussion boards, news network or any affiliated sites. TAN reserves the right to establish limits on topics that may be discussed if, in their opinion, the discussion of those topics attract an audience that is counterproductive to maintaining the ideals set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use and the Terms and Conditions of Membership. "

Don't get the wrong idea, my dear members and moderators. I'm not trying to be "disruptive." One of the things this forum is supposed to support is critical thinking, but I have yet to find a forum on the web that once someone engages in critical thinking that goes against the vested interests and biases of the owners of the website (or more likely the moderators) the person gets the boot.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

You can do it!!!

Only 4 more posts.....

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Higher standards.

So, you say a person is required to reply to 20 existing threads before posting a new thread topic because of "higher standards." Higher standards than WHAT exactly? -- than a forum that only allows 5 replies to existing posts (not 20) before you can create your own thread topic? --Because I said 5 replies is understandable, but 20 replies is excessive to the point of behavioral modification. "Higher standards" can only be subjective, as is the case with a forum that is "well-moderated."

originally posted by: CraftBuilderThis is due in part to a well thought out T&C.

Again I can only say, WHAT? I do not even need to look at the terms of service to see that the owners and moderators here can pull any content they want for any reason they want. That does not make for a forum of "higher standards," nor does it justify why someone decided to use a form of behavioral modification on individuals who want enough member privilege to post a new thread topic.

It sounds like you really don't like the T&C here. Fortunatly for you, there is nothing forcing you to stay.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut
Dont forget there are other requirements to posting in certain forums

Wats of ten for the 911 forum

And I think 200 post (might be 50) for the posse forum

I made it..

so can u!

reply to: Petros312

Note it's a simple pattern: the more you use the website the more privilege (rewards) you get. Basic behavioral modification. I'm already beginning to feel like one of Skinner's pigeons.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

It sounds like you really don't like the T&C here. Fortunatly for you, there is nothing forcing you to stay.

Or just maybe, and I know I'm going out on a thin ledge here, I might just be engaging in critical thinking and detecting a few contradictions in terms of what "freedoms" anyone thinks they can find here, yes?

Really, from what I posted, to say "sounds like you really don't like the T&C here" is overgeneralized. I have some hope that I will be treated fairly, but it's only enough to keep me posting at the moment.
edit on 3-10-2014 by Petros312 because: Clarification; spelling

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join