It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Addiction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Addiction

David Holcomb sat on his couch, looking at the coffee table in front of him. A tiny bag rested on the wooden surface, its contents taunting David. He knew he should leave the bag alone, and forget what was inside. But tantalizing desire burned within him, urging him to imbibe the one thing that he knew was forbidden.

The moment he had left home in the morning, the desire had begun to grow. He knew as he sat down in the car that his thoughts would dwell on the contents of the bag all day, and that he wouldn’t be satisfied until he had received his fix.

Within seconds after he had returned back to his home he had ingested several of the tiny pill sized objects, which now swam in a pool of his stomach acid – breaking down molecule, by molecule. Chemicals coursed through his body, and he could feel his energy levels beginning to rise and surge with every passing second.

“That’s enough,” said Martha, as she had taken the bag from David. She had sat the clear plastic sack on the table, and glared at him. “Now you don’t touch it. Too much of that stuff is really bad for you. Its ok to have a little, but you need to slow down.”

Anger coursed through David. He hated being told what to do, and had always rebelled against it in some form. His emotions were raw – he had had a long day, and didn’t understand why he couldn’t have the one thing that made him happy. “Please let me have more!” he shouted at Martha. “Just one!” He kicked his feet against the table in a fit of rage, knocking it back half an inch.

Martha spun to face David. He looked up at her with a challenging expression, daring her to say no. “David,” said Martha. “Your mom and dad pay me a lot of money to babysit you when you get home from pre-school. They do that because I know what’s best for you. If you continue to throw a fit, I’ll throw the jelly beans away, and you won’t get anymore….”

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MentorsRiddle

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

That's a pretty cool gif there

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I liked it. I'm toying with the idea that our beliefs determine our reality. This actually seems like a very fitting scenario, although morally it angers me because it suggests that deception is the cornerstone of everything we know. Is this how we create converts? We assert something and trick them into internalizing it? Interesting. I don't know if that is how I'd like to play this game.

When children play together innocently, they share each other's fantasies in order to create pleasure for one another. Sure, there is some basic struggle to assert dominance and to create a sense of where each of them belongs in a grander social schema, but they don't know any better. They are unripened tyrants and they are getting their first taste of power. I think that by restoring that childlike sense of wonder and by collaborating with each other less nefariously, we could spin a narrative that amazed us all. Why keep rehashing these stale old patterns when all of the powers of creation are alive within our being?

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I think that our beliefs determine a fragment of our reality, but not our total reality. Perhaps reality is defined by the many fragments of everyone’s realities, combining together into one.

Your perceptions of deception could be taken as cynical… But perhaps that is the small piece of reality that you bring to the table.

Instead, could we not say that imagination is the cornerstone of everything we know, instead of deception? While the words both have similar meanings, one implies negative implications and the other positive.

Perhaps imagination becomes deception when your creative ideas are forced upon another against their will.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I could accept that set of axioms. ;p I am a lover of optimism. It is probably a serious character flaw.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Na' - Optimism is a wonderful and beautiful thing.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Do you think this desire to help others is a goodness, or is it just another form of attempted tyranny? Am I helping others to unlock the possibilities for their life, or am I diminishing them because I getting them to seek me out as an authority instead of relying on themselves? How are we supposed to relate to the world now?

top topics

join