It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Blue Dies

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Hardware means f$$k all. I could make a 100000GHz processor but without code, what's it worth?

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by UofCinLA
The car thing - just about every manufacturer you mentioned has production facilities IN the US!!

Yup! And the lead Honda line mechanic I talked to said to make sure
the Honda you buy has a "J" in the VIN or you're asking for trouble.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I drive Italian cars - fun to work on and fun to drive!

Japan has great food, clothes, knifes/swords and electronics but I will not touch the cars - the culture is more attuned to finer things in life, not the mechanical - makes note to self - time for some cold udon, gyoza, hiyayako and genmai-cha tea - yummy lunch coming up....

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I'll put up a 1972 Datsun 510 Solex model up against your Fiat any day
for Speed, handling and reliability.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I want to thank you guys for filling ATS in on the IBM sale to a Japanese computer company. From what I heard on the news, a financial cable station, I thought the entire IBM was being sold off
---a very scary propostion.
Once again the mainstream news is lacking

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
FallenFromTheTree

I'll put up a 1972 Datsun 510 Solex model up against your Fiat any day
for Speed, handling and reliability.

Funny - it's not a Fiat and I drive race cars too, Formula Fords....

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
While we're on the tangent of cars, I'd like to point out that we haven't seen much innovation from any of the major manufacturers in YEARS. Anything that one is doing the others are too. All of them got in the business at some point on an innovation, and now they're all slacking off, not just the American companies.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Anyhoo, back on topic

This is pure speculation, but makes for an interesting theory.

www.theregister.co.uk...

As far as a "marriage" between Apple & IBM

I think nowadays the term "civil union" might be more appropriate!

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
shbaz

While we're on the tangent of cars, I'd like to point out that we haven't seen much innovation from any of the major manufacturers in YEARS. Anything that one is doing the others are too. All of them got in the business at some point on an innovation, and now they're all slacking off, not just the American companies.

Sort of - I'd say ABS, AL chassis (Audi, Ferrari, Lotus), GPS & onboard computers, Active suspensions, electrodynamic shocks, side air bags, CVT, Hybrids, emissions decreasing - have done their fair share recently but not at cheaper end. Not much you can do with an IC engine and 4 rubber tires although the BHP/liter figures are climbing with decent fuel economy these days....

Luxuries 20 years ago are now standard on the cheapest models too (A/C, radio, etc.)

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Great catch, FFTT. Maybe IBM will rename the PC line HAL (one step ahead of IBM). I wonder if there is a non-competition clause in the contract?!

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
All I can say is that good things will come to those who wait.

The links I have provided should give you some valuable insight
into the remarkable advancements you will see over the next 2 years.

<< 1   >>

join