It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cyberattack Against JPMorgan Chase Affects 76 Million Households

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

A cyberattack this summer on JPMorgan Chase compromised the accounts of 76 million households and seven million small businesses, a tally that dwarfs previous estimates by the bank and puts the intrusion among the largest ever.

The details of the breach — disclosed in a securities filing on Thursday — emerge at a time when consumer confidence in the digital operations of corporate America has already been shaken. Target, Home Depot and a number of other retailers have sustained major data breaches. Last year, the information of 40 million cardholders and 70 million others were compromised at Target, while an attack at Home Depot in September affected 56 million cards.

Cyberattack Against JPMorgan Chase Affects 76 Million Households

Operating overseas, the hackers gained access to the names, addresses, phone numbers and emails of JPMorgan account holders. In its regulatory filing on Thursday, JPMorgan said that there was no evidence that account information, including passwords or Social Security numbers, had been taken. The bank also noted that there was no evidence of fraud involving the use of customer information.

Just saw this article pop up while lookin through google news for the latest on the Ebola crisis. Although they claim passwords and SSNs have not been compromised, I don't feel comfortable believing that.
Names, addresses, phone numbers, and emails have been stolen, which will probably lead to more email spam and telemarketing calls.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
honestly...i give up! i can't keep up with how many times ive had to change passwords, usernames, blah..blah..blah. in the last few months my bank has sent me 3 different debit/credit cards because of breaches. i just read home depot also had a breach of acct numbers/check/bank numbers..if they are are going to take it..they are going to take it..im sick of keeping up.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Neopan100

I know exactly how you feel. I just received my third new debit card this year, and I'm getting really tired of constantly having to update my autopay bill accounts. I still have to go to the ATM before Monday and activate my new card from the Home Depot breach. Then I have to go update my autopay info for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Xbox, credit card bills, insurance, phone bill, cable bill, etc, etc, etc.
edit on 10/3/2014 by halfpint0701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up. I checked my account, and of course, what I value more than money, my personal data, the things I cannot change as easily as a damn password or user name, was compromised. But hey! My (their) money is safe. Right.

The banks in the U.S. actually don't care about security.

ETA: I'm closing my account there t oday, which I really only had as a convenience for paying a car note.
edit on 10/3/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

I feel as if the more advanced we become, the easier it is for identies, cash, etc.. To be stolen. Its actually quite ridicoulus.
This past week my girlfriend had to get a whole new account with her bank do to fraud and all that. The weird thing that happened though is she kept seeing charges on the card to local buisnesses on a future date (11/21/2014) for example. She does shop at some but there were one or two she's never been to.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I've been posting about this cyber war since before spring.

"You’re the Next Victim of the Cyber Wars"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

"Identity Theft, Who is the Real Victim?"

"Russian Gang Amasses Over a Billion Internet Passwords"

"Hospital network hacked, 4.5 million records stolen"

"Data breach at UPS Stores in 24 states"

"Home Depot Investigates a Possible Data Breach"

Russian criminals have all your personal information and are selling it. They know more personal stuff about you than you do. This is what will destroy our economy, mark my words.
edit on 3-10-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: added additional information

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
This is only a sign of the end of our way of life. Our currency is vulnerable and failing.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: NewRNA
We have the capability to develop a system and have the technology and know how to create a system in which we don't have to owe money to people anymore to have a quality of life.

The issue is that they keep charging us. Eventually when the financial system overturns, financial security won't be an issue.

What will it look like on the other side? Hopefully not implanted chips.

We all know the financial empire could not be sustained, I hope that there are people ready to massively release sustainable technology to soften the fall.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I just found out that my bank considered the reimbursement of funds that were stolen from my compromised debit card account a "courtesy". I guess I can see that, my card - my problem essentially, so when they put up the money before they, or who ever, investigated the crime and got restitution, that must have been a courtesy to me.

Like I talked about before in my "Identity Theft, Who is the Real Victim?" thread, the real victims, in a legal sense, were the stores (who sold stuff to the criminals) and the bank, they had the real losses, not me. I guess because the cyber criminal isn't walking into my local bank branch and robbing it at gun point, it was somehow my responsibility because I was a victim without legal recourse.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Hello I am new to this website. I hope I can be of some service in terms on conspiracy new world order etc

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
I just found out that my bank considered the reimbursement of funds that were stolen from my compromised debit card account a "courtesy". I guess I can see that, my card - my problem essentially, so when they put up the money before they, or who ever, investigated the crime and got restitution, that must have been a courtesy to me.

Like I talked about before in my "Identity Theft, Who is the Real Victim?" thread, the real victims, in a legal sense, were the stores (who sold stuff to the criminals) and the bank, they had the real losses, not me. I guess because the cyber criminal isn't walking into my local bank branch and robbing it at gun point, it was somehow my responsibility because I was a victim without legal recourse.

Money in accounts is nothing but numbers on a digital balance sheet, it costs nothing to have some placed on some other balance sheet in a hack and the bank thanks to its ability to create money also spends nothing to just recredit your account.

I think I would have lost it with the bank at courtesy. It's their job to securely hold your money, if they can't do that they need to replace it.

In the end you just witnessed an act of money creation (inflation) for however much the theft was for.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Wish someone would do this and wipe out a bit of the debit. Though I may just be thinking to...."evil?" not sure of the right word at this point; but hey I can dream right!

More to the point I understand how it was with PNC not too long ago. I didn't have to get a new Debit or credit card thankfully as they just monitored things more closely as it was not as serious as it seemed.

new topics

top topics

join