It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola: Do You Have A Plan?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I'm not worried much at all about it. Plenty of clean drinking water around, plenty of food growing in the gardens and in the wild that is safe and edible. If the cities flee to the mountain regions, then the locals would cause landslides on the roads to make people walk. If that happens, then the villages will close and deny any outsiders from entering. It's the traditional tribal way that the people still know here, and it still works.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Philippines

that's not very nice to not let anyone in at all.

What if just one guy showed up who needed help and didn't have the virus? would you turn him away?

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Its just about winter time so a large percentage of our populations will not have the luxury of simply being able to pluck food from trees or gardens. That being said Ebola does seem to thrive in warmer climates, personally im happy where I am here in the UK, lets see Ebola take on a Scottish winter, my bets on the snow and ice.
edit on 5-10-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
My home is equiped with UV lights inside the AC duct system that kills germs, viruses etc.

I have gallons of Clorox, bottles of alcohol, gas masks, protective suits, plastic sheets to create a quarantine room, food, drinking water........ And enought bullets to stop anyone trying to enter my house.

I will stay home and wait for any pandemic to pass

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: gatorboi117

I have initiated somewhat of a plan.

!. I carry hand sanitizer, and use it whenever I go to a public place. IE gas pumps, mall, etc.
2. I am somewhat avoiding crowds, ie malls during busy hours, restaraunts etc. I go shopping during times of day when you find stores less crowded.
3. I am slowly stocking a food supply. Not frantic but putting it away (we should all have a food reserve regardless of Ebola).
4. Keeping car full of gas.
5. Taking stock of personal defense.
6. I am not eating out at all at this point. (how clean is the average restaurant, and who is working in the kitchen?)
7. I am stocking up on disinfectant. Lysol and bleach are two low cost good ones.
8. Am using my debit card to avoid handling money. (currency is one of the filthiest items on gods green earth, studies have found anything from tape worm eggs to all kinds of nasty bacteria on coins and bills).

I think there are two very simple things everyone can do right now.

1. WASH YOUR HANDS every time you go somewhere. As soon as you get in your house, wash hands with soap and hot water while reciting the alphabet, thats the duration you should wash for. If possible pick up some hospital soap and your local drug store.
2. avoid public restrooms. That is the dirtiest environment you are likely to encounter in a public place.

Those are really the two most likely routes of infection at this point, you touch something contaminated, or come into contact with body fluids in a restroom. Its important not to panic, but to calmly take stock of how to protect yourself and family from the virus. Also tell your kids what they need to be doing, and that hand washing is important. Good luck to us all.
edit on 5-10-2014 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011

I think there are two very simple things everyone can do right now.

1. WASH YOUR HANDS every time you go somewhere. As soon as you get in your house, wash hands with hot water while reciting the alphabet, thats the duration you should wash for.
2. avoid public restrooms.

Those are really the two most likely routes of infection at this point, you touch something contaminated, or come into contact with body fluids in a rest room. Its important not to panic, but to calmly take stock of how to protect yourself and family from the virus.

Agreed.

I think its very important at the moment that we don't panic but take initial steps to protect ourselves by being conscious of cleanliness and hygiene. Also being aware of our surroundings and the people in it.

In the event of an outbreak I believe the areas affected will be in lock down and bugging out won't be an option. So keeping that in mind I've inventoried my pantry and have earmarked a couple of items I would like to increase on. I also grow my own veg and brew so I've looked out all my big brewing barrels and am in the process of cleaning them out in preparation should I need to fill them urgently with water. I am not expecting to use them anytime soon apart from brewing but it would be a real issue if push comes to shove and I need them and they are not ready.

I've also told my eldest, who works in hospitality, to increase her awareness and keep abreast of the news as well as keeping hand sanitizer on her. I'm lucky as I run my leather working business from home so I don't necessarily come into contact with the general public but she does and is therefore a potential open door.

To be honest I've not made any plans further than bringing forward jobs I would have done anyway. All I've really done is highlight to family members the need to be aware and the need for cleanliness.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

1. Ebola survives about a week outside on nonbiologic surfaces. Sunlight kills ebola if the virus is exposed long enough. Light destroys its genetic code and its ability to replicate, also viral proteins are denatured. So in warm weather, outside, the sun decontaminates surfaces if exposed long enough. A caveat to this, Ebola can survive indefinitely in a cold overcast climate on nonbiologic surfaces. Ebola is a RNA virus, similar to the flu virus that effects world populations each year.

2. Ebola can infect pretty much any cell in the body, contrary to flu which is cell specific.

3. Quarantine period is 21 days, meaning if possible exposure occurred, you need to watch that individual for 21 days.

4. By Jan 2015, 1.4 million people worldwide will have Ebola. The numbers will double every 3 weeks. Workout the numbers, our modern day healthcare system is good at dealing with a few people infected. But large numbers it can't handle. People will be turned away or put in infection camps.

The CDC is doing a major disservice, or it realizes not much can be done why create a panic? So in 6 months how many people will be infected worldwide?

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biotech2024

So in 6 months how many people will be infected worldwide?

If projections are correct 500 million people in 6 months will be infected. How do we as a individual/family handle something like this?

1. Financial markets will crash, those with the most knowledge will sell derivatives to capitalize on it. So watch what the smart money is doing. The markets may tip you off about the impending future.

2. Get a friend in the medical field to get access to a medical supplier. Order resuscitate supplies:

- IV starter kits
- IV fluids
- Broad spectrum antibiotics (handle bacterial infections superimposed on top of Ebola).
- get paperback CMDT - Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment, this will provide basic information regarding dosing for common infections and current standard of treatment.

3. Top-Off Fuel Stores, get extra propane tanks. (If supply chain breakdown occurs).

4. Top-Off Frozen Meat in freezer.

5. Get extra weatherable food supplies: Ramen Noodles, Canned Goods.

6. Self Defense Implements.

7. Cheap early warning alarm system, fishing line tied to bells. Tie this onto stairs, as early warning system. Use pets as early warning system also.

Looting will cause the most destruction, as the disenfranchized take to the streets. Stay away from urban setting with the highest population density. The healthcare system will not be able to handle a huge number of people looking for critical care treatment. Most businesses will shutdown, ie supply chain breakdown. This results in shortages that people will fight with each other to get. Get enough supplies to survive the winter.

The cheapest barrier protection are garbage bags and duct tape modified to make hazmat suits. Clean zone is your home, danger zone is the outside. When going from zone to zone, you need a interzone that may have dirty material that is taken off and disposed of and taken outside. Or when going outside, dress up in modified hazmat suit. Treat everything outside as dirty. If bringing supplies into clean zone, disinfect as much as possible. The supplies themselves should have outershell that guarantee separation so that material inside has very little chance of being touched by infected person during the packing process. Pick older dated goods, since this decreases probability that it was touched by infected person.

A old tanning bed generates enough UV light to kill surface bacteria/viruses. This could be another layer among many for disinfection. Don't rely on just one.

Plan where you sleep, so that your home funnels intruders into killzone.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I am off to the wilderness to bug out shortly as a "practice" get away from the # hitting the fan. Was hoping to make a thread on it but think maybe as I am a new member it wont allow me to make new threads.

I am going to just up and go.. quit job and prep for real dont think I am going to wait for the SHTF

Would be a great adventure/experience either way.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Do I have a plan?
Yes, however it greatly depends on the severity of the outbreak in my area. I will be substantially surprised if it gets outta hand in wisconsin. I am planning on waiting it out to see if it turns out to be a true epidemic.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Honestly, if it were to spread to catastrophic scales, where would I go? How long could I hold out? I plan to just continue on as normal.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

What if just one guy showed up who needed help and didn't have the virus? would you turn him away?

i would turn him away in a second.
once i lock it down, nobody is getting in.
i cant think of a good reason to let anyone into my safe zone unless the rewards of having them around is greater than the risk.

if i let someone in that means they will be eating my food and drinking my water. that is 1 more person that could get sick and could infect my family.
so yeah, they would be on their own

edit*
we are talking survival here. not charity
edit on 5-10-2014 by CardiffGiant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Biotech2024

www.npr.org...

from NPR..

---------One set of projections comes from Jeffrey Shaman, an associate professor of environmental health sciences at Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health. He's making models of the Ebola epidemic for the U.S. government. When he first saw the results of his models, the numbers were so high that he was afraid to make them public.

"I didn't want to scare people," Shaman says. "But we're really in uncharted territory here. We've never had a sustained outbreak of Ebola like this, certainly nothing of this magnitude."--------------

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

It may not be nice, but that is tradition and the way things are done. Never before have the tribes had to worry about an exodus fleeing the cities to the country side, and I doubt they would change their ways for random strangers. Historically (and now), the locals know what tribe and village they belong to so they wouldn't try to enter/trespass on territory that was not theirs.

As far as turning away one guy who didn't have the virus - first there is no way to tell if he doesn't have the virus... And second, it probably wouldn't just be one guy. Lastly, it kind of depends on what that one guy would do to pull his weight and earn his food. It's hard work!

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
If you've bought into the whole "Ebola spreading across the USA" panic, then you've already lost.

The media are telling you that this can only be spread by fluid transfer, which, according to Ebola doctors in Western Africa, is completely wrong. Ebola doctors in Western Africa are saying it can be transmitted just by being in the same room, something that seems to be confirmed by the 160,000 hazmat suits the White House has sent to Western Africa.

The mere fact that the media is spreading fear and panic, along with completely incorrect information about the virus, means that you've completely bought into a false panic.

Although Ebola is highly transmittable, and you work with the public, if you're gonna get it, you're gonna get it. The only thing you can do to avoid being exposed in the event of a major outbreak in the USA is to stay home.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I was thinking about this just the other day. I'm a 15 yr old girl in high school so there really isn't much I could do. My parents certainly don't think Ebola will become a problem. They seem pretty sure the cases will be contained and this will all blow over. It could very well blow over but if it doesn't my family would be screwed. If Ebola does become a huge problem I am quite curious to see how it will change society. It could drastically change everything a lot. It sorta makes me think of The Walking Dead. Of course that's very different but its similar a little bit. I wonder if the abandonment of structured society will happen to us just like in The Walking Dead.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Its just about winter time so a large percentage of our populations will not have the luxury of simply being able to pluck food from trees or gardens. That being said Ebola does seem to thrive in warmer climates, personally im happy where I am here in the UK, lets see Ebola take on a Scottish winter, my bets on the snow and ice.

Good points. I don't think a winter will make the disease any less virulent, but a cold winter does keep people more indoors and less exposed to others who may have it.

If it hit Manila here, that would be terrible news. We don't have a cold winter, and the place is very densely populated.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

I'm afraid I wouldn't want you as a Friend!!

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
a reply to: CardiffGiant

I'm afraid I wouldn't want you as a Friend!!

i can assure you i wouldnt want you..hahahah
i dont have friends in real life. just my wife.
dont mean to be a jerk man...just the way it is

either way, friend or no friend, stranger or not. if we get into a situation where we have to lock down our house to survive then i dont want anyone else around. thats just one more person i have to worry about.
i dont trust people as it is. i am definitely not going to trust anyone in that situation. i can not see what they could possibly offer me that would have me change my mind.
pandemic lockdown survival mode is no time to make friends

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
The idea of Ebola going airborne (naturally) is a bit unrealistic, as it would be nearly unprecedented in nature. I'd be more fearful of someone weaponizing it to become so.

Even still, the same precautions one takes to avoid the flu, is pretty much what you'd do. Like another poster said, the mass hysteria is the bigger threat to safety.

Even without being airborne though, the main concerns (for me) are that it appears much like the flu, so people will ignore it, and that it has such a long incubation time, making it just that more likely to infect others once symptoms show (and then for those to infect more, and so on). That's going to be the real challenge of any lockdown.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join