It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is panhandling worth it? My preliminary results.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Let me give you a little background on what's been going on with me the last few days. I lost my job about 3 months ago ( don't ask). I've been out of work since and was forced to vacate my apartment in the middle of September. I have a car and a few clothes left. Most all of my other stuff has been liquidated. A friend has been letting me sleep in his camper in the backyard for now. I'm qualified for food stamps so I don't have to go hungry.

My problem was that I quickly ran out of money to put gas in the car and buy cigarettes and personal necessities. I know, I know, I should quit smoking and I'd have that extra money. I smoke Phillies mini cigars and I get them for about a buck and a half a pack. But that's neither here nor there.

I had to come up with a way to generate some cash flow. I had heard about making good money panhandling and it happens that there's a city in the area that issues panhandling permits. I know I don't really need a permit because panhandling has been declared a form of free speech. I decided to get one, though, just to keep things on the up and up as far as the city police were concerned.

The permit doesn't cost anything and I had to sign a release form for them to do a background check. I filled out the application on Monday (September 29th) and picked it up that afternoon. All they ask is that you not be at the off ramps of the interstate that runs through the city from 6 to 9 a.m. And 3 to 6 p.m. because of heavy traffic, which sounded reasonable to me.

So, armed with my permit and a sign that read, "homeless veteran please help", I set out to see if there was any truth to the stories. I didn't actually start until about 1 o'clock on Tuesday because I was having a hard time convincing myself that this was a good idea. But I screwed up my courage, picked out a spot about a block off the end of the exit ramp and held up my sign.

This is my third day and this is what I've gotten so far:

Tuesday 1pm to 3pm
$25 cash
McDonalds coupon for medium fries
Hardees big chocalate chip cookie

Wednesday 1pm to 3pm
$20 cash
23 ounce Arizona iced tea

Thursday 11am to 3pm ( with a 20 minute lunch break)
$70 cash
2 granola bars
3 7-11 quarter pound hotdog coupons
one meal at McDonalds that an employee offered to pay for.

The young lady from McDonalds also gave me a bag of non-perishable groceries. There was a couple of cup-of- soups, a foil pouch of tuna, a box with some crackers and a can of chicken salad, a couple of granola bars, some snack cakes and a few other things. Probably about $20 worth all together.

Please understand that I don't condone this as a lifestyle and my inner morality was initially against this. BUT, after these initial results, I can see that this could be a very lucrative undertaking.

This is just to tide me over until I can get back to working grueling hours for low wages under an unappreciative boss /slave driver...um...hmmm

edit on 10/2/2014 by N3k9Ni because: typo

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

There was a story here in Michigan about a well off man from the ritzy North suburbs who drove his nice expensive car everyday to park it near a freeway entrance, changed his clothes to jeans and hoodie...grabbed a sign...and was making like a couple hundred $$$ a day!

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I've heard stories of people making it through college by doing this...also same with playing music.

Where I used to live a guy got busted after they basically rounded a bunch of them up and found out one was a very wealthy man who for whatever reason was panhandling for extra cash.

I think playing guitar somewhere quiet on a beach would be nice ...I could do that haha

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
If you lived down under, I'd offer you a room. Sorry!

Good to see that there's good in the hearts of your fellow Americans, and it seems a vet can survive (not exactly thrive) well on the streets. I wonder if just regular homeless have as much luck? Maybe remove the veteran part and see how that changes things?

I would have been a bit down on you about the smoking, but I read a really enlightening story on the Huffington Post written by a lady who is poor and destined to always be poor. It really gets you inside her mindset, and gave me a better understanding of the smoking thing.

I smoke. It's expensive. It's also the best option. You see, I am always, always exhausted. It's a stimulant. When I am too tired to walk one more step, I can smoke and go for another hour. When I am enraged and beaten down and incapable of accomplishing one more thing, I can smoke and I feel a little better, just for a minute. It is the only relaxation I am allowed. It is not a good decision, but it is the only one that I have access to. It is the only thing I have found that keeps me from collapsing or exploding.

It might have been on another site though, perhaps her blog? But anyway smoking to her is like coming home and having a expensive glass of red wine, or retail therapy... It's her life crutch. Also, I used to be a smoker (2 years free now!) so I understand the addiction, but when I was poor it was the first thing to go. It was kind of easy for me because I had harder things on my mind to deal with, but I understand how it's the last thing some people want to let go of. They give that 30 seconds of 'thank god, exhale' after first lighting up. You feel good for those 30 seconds. Anyways, hang in there and I hope things pick up for you.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I've made over a 100 bucks on a good day sitting a park and playing guitar in Austin. A cute dog helps.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

There was a story here in Michigan about a well off man from the ritzy North suburbs who drove his nice expensive car everyday to park it near a freeway entrance, changed his clothes to jeans and hoodie...grabbed a sign...and was making like a couple hundred $$$ a day!

There's a story like that in every town. It's an urban myth (for the most part) that is told to help people sleep better at night when they brush off the needy.

The particular case in my town was a man who I personally got to know (because I wanted to check out the story) and it was total bunk. Ironically, after a while, he did get a car and people saw what a piece of crap it was and they finally stopped spreading the rumor and moved on to some other one.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Stories like yours frustrate me to no end. Every damn place I walk into these days is begging for money. The problem is, it all goes to "charities" where anywhere from 75 to 90 percent of donations are eaten up by "administrative costs". In other words, they're a scam like everything else. If people would stop giving to these criminals, and start supporting those who could really use a helping hand long enough to get on their feet again, we could take care of everyone who really needs the temporary help and a whole lot more.

On top of that, we have a government that sends billions of dollars out of the country yearly, they stole from us through taxes(yeah, I said it.) and fees. There should be no reason for anyone in this country to be homeless or down and out, unless they just wanna be. Unfortunately, it isn't going to change anytime soon.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I've made over a 100 bucks on a good day sitting a park and playing guitar in Austin. A cute dog helps.

Yeah, when I was living in Seattle, I accidently panhandled like that all the time. I honestly just liked to play in Pike Place one of the landings towards the water and people would throw money into my guitar case. I started keeping it shut and people still dropped money. I never made a sign to discourage it because I thought that would be a bit snooty and I started getting into the habit of giving it away on my walk back to my apartment.

If it weren't so cliche and exhausting, I'd do that to make money where I live but I end up bored nowdays if I play more than a couple of songs.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

I'm sure that being a veteran has a lot to do with it. I've had people say, "Thanks for your service" and "Semper Fi" ( I was Navy, but still).

I even had someone from a veteran's outreach program stop by and give me their card. I'm sure that if I weren't a veteran it would be a much different story.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

What was your MOS?

If it's in my field, I'm hiring.

U2U me if you want some privacy.

beez

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
My girlfriend's mother panhandles. She doesn't stay in one spot though, she travels constantly, then goes back home at the end of the day and counts the haul.

Supposedly she makes more that way than she would sitting in one spot.

A man once told me that the most successful panhandlers ask for tiny amounts. Ten cents, five cents. He said most will be willing to give the quick nickel or dime, but not a dollar or more. By the end of the day, he claimed the numbers add up.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
i think your pathetic.
but youre begging for money so i guess you dont care what people think.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

well sir, dont worry.

I am sure you will get back to a better place. You sound honest and smart enough. You are the type of person I would empty my wallet for.

I dont believe in hand outs, but I do believe in helping people out who merit that help. I am sure every cent you get will be well spent and will help you until you can stand on your own feet again.

While you are hitting the bricks, remember this....Your dignity and self worth is not dictated by the contents of your wallet or the esteem others give for free. Your worth is defined by who you know you are and who you aim to be.

Hold it down.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

Have you ever been hungry...?

Simple question really. Has your belly hurt...caused pain from not eating....I am not talking about hunger before you raid a fridge filled with goodies.

Have you ever cried because you cant feed your kid? Have you ever been psychologically spat on?

You just shat on this man.

I dont hope karma gets you. I WILL PRAY TO THE F-ING DEVIL HIMSELF SO YOU GET SOME.
edit on 10 2 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I'm a former street kid. I did about 10 years on the streets off and on. Panhandling. I'm going to share with you the 4 best tips I can give you for panhandling.

#1: Never stay in the same spot for more than a week. People will get tired of seeing you and your money will dry up. If you live in a big city, I highly suggest moving a few blocks down every couple of days.

#2: Always cooperate with cops, no matter how angry you might be. The police can be a major thorn in the side of a panhandler, stay on their good side.

#3: You make the best money on the weekend. Try hitting up a spot around a popular bar on a saturday night. I'd always end the night with 80$+ in my pocket.

#4: Be as helpful as you can with people. If someone asks you for directions, tell em with a smile on your face. Drunk guy wants to find the nearest strip club. Walk him there. Speaking for my personal experiences this is when you get the BIG money drops. I've gotten 20$'s 50'$ and 100$'s before.

If you need any advice. Feel free to message me.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

Wow, totally uncalled for.

I hope one day you have to endure what this poor guy is going through. In MY world, people like you don't last very long...

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock
I've heard stories of people making it through college by doing this...also same with playing music.

If you play music, you are a busker, and there are plenty of said people, natural talent that someday might be famous. Plenty of stars began their music careers as such.

@ the OP.

I don't see how you can call it "lucrative" dear lord. But if it helps you get by for the time being, don't feel bad. As long as you make an effort at getting back on your feet you aren't abusing the system of charity. I give to people on the street, but it irks me if thats all they intend to do their entire life.

And no, it's not lucrative.

Signing a contract for 10-20 million is lucrative, pocket change isn't. It's sad the world has such disparity.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Stories like yours frustrate me to no end. Every damn place I walk into these days is begging for money. The problem is, it all goes to "charities" where anywhere from 75 to 90 percent of donations are eaten up by "administrative costs". In other words, they're a scam like everything else. If people would stop giving to these criminals, and start supporting those who could really use a helping hand long enough to get on their feet again, we could take care of everyone who really needs the temporary help and a whole lot more.

On top of that, we have a government that sends billions of dollars out of the country yearly, they stole from us through taxes(yeah, I said it.) and fees. There should be no reason for anyone in this country to be homeless or down and out, unless they just wanna be. Unfortunately, it isn't going to change anytime soon.

This.

This is something that everyone needs to keep in mind before giving to or buying anything from a professional charity.

Any charity to be legal only has to forward 10% of the proceeds to the end cause. The rest can be kept for administrative cost. Charity is huge business. Non profits make huge profits.

Want to feel good? Give money directly to those in need, like the op. They will get 100%. And the 1% charity CEO can go make his millions somewhere else.
edit on 10 2 2014 by caterpillage because: Spell check fail

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

What was your MOS?

If it's in my field, I'm hiring.

U2U me if you want some privacy.

beez

Electricians mate. Third class petty officer. But that's been many years ago (late 70's) and I didn't pursue the field after I got out. Send me a U2U if you think you have use for me.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

So, armed with my permit and a sign that read, "homeless veteran please help

Please tell me that you are a veteran and not lying.

Nvm, just seen your post above.
edit on 2-10-2014 by thesaneone because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join