It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is death preceeded by visits from the dead?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
When my Grandmother, parents and even my mother in law were close to dying, all of them of long illnesses and not sudden death, all talked about visits or recounted conversations with people in their lives who had died before them. Is this memory induced conversation or is it actual visits from beyond the grave?It has been speculated that before you die you recount your entire life, but the coversations were always in the present tense and not about old memories. Could it be the mind trying to come to terms with the end of its time or is it really relatives welcoming the soon to be dead home?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I believe that when we are close to death (via health issues), the persons mind does somewhat take on a transformation. It goes through stages that allow it to accept the inevitable (and in some cases completely deny it), and keep from the state of panic.
Even in those who have horrid accidents, those who know they have only so long to live, the transitions begin and they come to grips quicky.
It's after the person has gone through these stages and 'altered' a bit to a more open/peiceful and accepting point of not so much 'give up' but acceptance, that I think many do become more aware of things that most people don't see/hear/feel.
I'm sure just as many may believe it to be how it is going to be so strongly that they do , if they get to the state of delierium, imagine things.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I posted this on another thread on this same subject..
I sat with my mother and my father while they passed...both saw and my mother spoke to people as they passed....there were entities in the room that I saw with my father in the corner...bright shinning, flickering lights that showed up about 24 hours before he passed.....he saw them too, though by that point he was weak and couldn't speak, but he would try to raise his hand to them when they would move over the bed at the Hospice....I know in my heart that someone comes to help you cross to the Summerland...

Years ago this was very evident as people died at home now days many people die alone, in a hospital drugged up to relieve pain

EDITED to add link to the other thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 12/7/2004 by LadyV]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Before my father died of cancer, he did the same thing. He would
wake from sleep and tell us that he had seen and talked to his mother,
his brother and my grandfather. The last comment he made about
this was that they "looked wonderful and bigger than life". A few times
he would also laugh and talk in his sleep like he was conversing with
someone.
Some say it's the death of the brain causeing hallucinations. I prefer
to believe differently.
Anyway we'll all get the chance to see for ourselves one day.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by elaine
the death of the brain causeing hallucinations.

This lame explanation always annoys me....if that's true, then all those dying have the same hallucinations of only dead loved ones....never anything else...just loved ones that have already passed...that doesn't make sense....if it were a dying brain hallucinating...it seems there would be random hallucinations of all sorts of things...past happenings, life events etc....

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

Originally posted by elaine
the death of the brain causeing hallucinations.

This lame explanation always annoys me....if that's true, then all those dying have the same hallucinations of only dead loved ones....never anything else...just loved ones that have already passed...that doesn't make sense....if it were a dying brain hallucinating...it seems there would be random hallucinations of all sorts of things...past happenings, life events etc....

That's true LadyV.
And the conversations my Dad was haveing were in the present tense
and did'nt seem like hallucinations. It like he was in two worlds at the
same time.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Ditto that Lady V.
I have seen one time (actualy I posted alot about this particular family and house) - where the woman dieing went through this for many months intead of just days. It was actualy kind of scarry to get past this certain spot in front of her bedroom door (I always kept it open so I could run in - how embarrising)...
Anyway. She'd call me down there often because someone told her this or that. Or would want me to bring them a sandwitch too - all kinds of things. She was always with company.
I hope that once I'm in my last months and days, or getting senile ect - that I don't start talking out loud to those around me. LOL.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
When you talk to people that work in a nursing home, they often have stories about residents that begins to see departed loved ones shortly before their own deaths.

I have heard them say things like, "Mrs. X is seeing /talking to her late husband ( sister, mother, etc) -- double check her vitals, (or keep a closer eye on her)." Many of them see things like that as a precursor of death.

My grandmother used to 'sit with' people who were near death ( before there were hospitals all over the countryside). She had several interesting stories of their last moments before death. Some would hear beautiful music, as well as see departed relatives, and one complained of his feet burning! (Grandma said he had not been a very nice man, and might be going somewhere besides heven!)

[edit on 8-12-2004 by frayed1]

top topics

join