It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Inspector General with USDOT Says Stop All Flights From Ebola Affected Regions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
She appeared on CNN this morning, the transcript is below.

Who she is: Mary Schiavo

Mary Fackler Schiavo, J.D., is the former Inspector General of the United States Department of Transportation (DOT), where for six years she withstood pressure from within DOT and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) as she sought to expose and correct problems at the agencies.

Here's the link - all credit to ATS member drwill for finding it.

edition.cnn.com...

What she said:

COSTELLO: Mary, do you envision a time in the near future, maybe if we see another Ebola case, let's say in Boston or some other city in the United States, that the travel ban, or at least a partial ban, might be implemented?

MARY SCHIAVO, CNN AVIATION ANALYST: Well, absolutely. And it's just a matter of common sense. We see people in moon suits telling us not to worry and fly the world. But what they don't understand is the nature of an aircraft. And let me draw a parallel to the ambulance in Texas. The ambulance in Texas took this gentleman to the hospital who has Ebola. The ambulance is then taken out of service and they are scrubbing the school where these five little children went, in moon suits, to take any precautions. You cannot do that to an aircraft. An aircraft is a $350 million flying computer, and there's no way to disinfect the seats, there's no way to disinfect the bathrooms and you're forgetting about the people who work in the belly of the plane, who load it, who service it. It is a trajectory through which the virus can be transported and you can't clean it. And that's the problem, an aircraft is not an ambulance, and you just can't do that.

COSTELLO: So what are you suggesting, Mary? Should there be some sort of ban or a partial ban be put into place?

SCHIAVO: Yes. Absolutely, and it should be a ban on the aircraft. We should suspend service to those infected areas. Yes, people can still travel to Brussels and travel to the United States, but it's not possible for us to contain it on the aircraft. You're focusing on the people and I think we need to focus on the actual service providing instruments, the aircraft, the services, the things that go on the aircraft. So, yes, I think a ban is in place and it should have been put in place long ago. Like I said, they're standing there in moon suits telling us it's OK to get on the plane. It's not. No common sense.

It does only seem to make sense to me.
WSY ATS?

I'm personally shocked and outraged by the governmental response to this crisis.
Local, State and National.

edit on 10/2/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

yesterday I watched DW News it's a German news outlet kind of like the BBC...

anyway while the news anchors were talking about the Ebola case in Dallas they did start asking if it was past time to ban all European Flights from infected regions of Africa...

Of course that's not going to stop all those Refugees who sail on makeshift boats out of Africa and into Greece, Italy and Span... but yeah this idea has been going around for a few days now

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

they're standing there in moon suits telling us it's OK to get on the plane.

It's not. 

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
This should have happened months ago. Considering they have continually stated how bad this had been spreading, someone is asleep at the wheel when they should be slamming the brakes on all flights out of that region. Almost seems like they want it to spread...hmm

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Despite warnings to the contrary, countries are closing borders.

Travel restrictions are seen as ineffective at controlling outbreaks like this, and they are likely to cause serious problems with the treatment and containment of Ebola. In fact, health experts are often damning about the use of travel restrictions in these situations. "The first thing people do is say, 'Well rather than prepare let's ban travel,'" WHO's Assistant Director General Bruce Aylward said at one recent briefing. "That's when you're going to get killed, because this virus will exploit it."Despite criticisms like this, a number of countries have put restrictions on their borders or tightened travel controls recently. While the exact details of the restrictions are hard to confirm, health advisory group International SOS keeps a list that details reported travel restrictions. You can see how the Ebola restrictions stand on the map below:

I couldn't get the image to load, but you can see it at the link. I have read all of the pros/cons of travel restriction; I wholly agree with supplying the area with supplies and care. But it seems prudent to step up the game and employ more stringent stop-gaps. I know my opinion isn't popular or mainstream, but the argument of "viruses do not respect borders" cuts two ways. Why make it easy peasy for Ebola to flit around the globe? While an expert has referred to Ebola 2014 (CNN Live/ 10/1/14) as a "dress rehearsal" for worse pathogens to come, I fail to see the logic of putting a log-jam into the free flow of travel. Just sayin'.

www.washingtonpost.com...

edit on 2-10-2014 by drwill because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
From all affected regions?

You mean close the border from Texas?
They would never do that, at least not until it's too late to do any good.
edit on 10/2/14 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Out of political correctness and a need to control/frighten the population, they won't do it for a long time, if ever.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I am all for stopping all flights out of that region.

I was watching the news this morning and they were talking about how clean the planes are, and that alone is a bunch of BS.
Anyone who has traveled around on air planes will tell you they are dirty. it is hard to ignore the finger prints and smudges next to the windows on air planes.

They are dirty machines. That alone tells me they are lying, and money is more important than health.

Stop the flights before more ebola infected people make it anywhere out of the effected regions.
These countries should be quarantined until they get it under control.
IMO

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

Well Schiavo says it - due to the nature of modern planes being flying computers, it's impossible to sanitize them to the standards needed to prevent Ebola from spreading.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nucleardoom Almost seems like they want it to spread...hmm

Ya' Think?

It has occurred to me that letting it spread does fit the Globalist Elites thinking. From them I get the message that its somehow unfair the disease is located only in Africa. In a Globalized world, all must suffer equally.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Containing the virus would have been my first priority, like why they quarantine dogs entering Hawaii; because there are no rabies on the island...yet?

Scattering after dropping the petri dish is looking pretty nefarious/inept.
Quarantine it like Chernobyl!!! I'd say like Fuku, but that's a bad example to follow...seems par for the course?

(Can't you see your pants are pulled down) directed at inept/nefarious bunch of "health-workers" failing to do the first thing correctly, if you must study it, do it on your own dime for one, then act responsibly (show respect for the item) when you bring it out into the elements. Electricians know not to touch a live wire, so, what gives?

Just like nuclear energy, 'we need another reactor to keep this reactor online.' "Consequences schmonsequences. we know what we're doing, trust us. Radiation is unavoidable, anyways."

Don't we have like a catalog of everything that's bad for us? Maybe rockets were supposed to be meant for something a little more friendly-like toward Earthlings? Maybe to ship-out what we know would otherwise be our downfall?

I get the feeling the funds I put aside so as to be a member of community in which I live with and share as a commoner, the benefit of so being associated with my peers is a farce.

Follow the yellow brick road?

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: drwill

I fail to see the logic of putting a log-jam into the free flow of travel. Just sayin'.

The free flow of travel is what is allowing this virus to jump continents. I see it as a very logical step in curtailing the spread of it. How could it possibly not slow the spread down?

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nucleardoom

I fail to see the logic of putting a log-jam into the free flow of travel. Just sayin'.

The free flow of travel is what is allowing this virus to jump continents. I see it as a very logical step in curtailing the spread of it. How could it possibly not slow the spread down?

My bad! I misspoke, and badly. I meant to say that a log jam needs to be implemented. And it should have happened months ago. I also meant to say that I have read the pros/cons of closing borders and restricting flights...but that's like giving Ebola a boost, a free ticket to ride.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

And I totally believe she is correct.

I agree 100% just from observing the many flights I have been on over the years.
Dirty machines, that are not cleaned properly, and probably can't be.
Not for as many flights as an airplane takes in a week.
They would have to be grounded for days just to scrub one plane out.

That certainly is not cost effective.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

My bad! I misspoke, and badly. I meant to say that a log jam needs to be implemented. And it should have happened months ago. I also meant to say that I have read the pros/cons of closing borders and restricting flights...but that's like giving Ebola a boost, a free ticket to ride.

Not a problem, we all short circuit from time to time. I agree with you 100%, we need to shut this down as quickly as possible.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Nucleardoom

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Ya' Think? It has occurred to me that letting it spread does fit the Globalist Elites thinking. From them I get the message that its somehow unfair the disease is located only in Africa. In a Globalized world, all must suffer equally.

Always keep the Georgia Guidestones in the back of your mind, because it wasn't made for nothing, I use it as a warning reminder myself. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
If this isn't a red flag to most of us I'm not sure what is.

new topics

top topics

join