It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dallas Ebola patient came in contact with 80 people, including children

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I'm watching the local morning news, and they just gave this breaking news. I'm waiting for a link to appear on their website. I will update as more info comes out.

UPDATE:

As many as 80 people had contact with the first person to be diagnosed with the deadly Ebola virus in the United States, a significant jump from the 18 cited earlier, NBC News reported on Thursday.

Less than an hour before this story, I read the reuters article that he had contact with 18 people. Now that number has jumped to 80. How many will it be by dinnertime tonight?

Dallas Ebola patient vomitted outside apartment on way to hospital

Scores may have been exposed to US Ebola patient
edit on 10/2/2014 by halfpint0701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: halfpint0701

Yes, its been all over the news...
Link

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Gully

Thanks for the link!

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

There's never been a documented case of transmission by air, so unless he's spitting on everyone, or playing with vomit there is very little risk.

go wash your hands NOW!!!! LOL.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I still think that he became symptomatic before he arrived here. I just don't buy that he was not symptomatic until the 24th when he then went directly to the hospital only to be turned away. Sorry, but I don't go to the hospital unless it is something worth going for, meaning he would have had mild symptoms before that day ie he was contagious. Everyone from the airplane and airport all the way to the apartment he was staying has had potential contact if you ask me.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

There's never been a documented case of transmission by air, so unless he's spitting on everyone, or playing with vomit there is very little risk.

That they told you about....If you believe them, that is....................

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

According to the CDC spokesperson from Tuesdays conference "We are all connected by the air we breathe". Take that as you will.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I believe they've mutated this with the common cold and many people amongst staff in Africa got sick, and they're safeguarding the fluid transmissions, have lots of protocols in place for that. So, don't think its just fluids.

link   
Here's a little timeline on this ebola event as I 've watched it. Early yesterday morning Duncan's known contacts being reported were the EMS team and one family member......mid-day it was EMS team isolated and five children in contact with Duncan....later in afternoon 12-18 reported contacts with Duncan....this morning as you report 80 contacts.Let's see what is reported tomorrow and hope it's not hundreds of contacts.

link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

I fail to see the joke in this.

It just takes his sweaty handshake and the other person to have a little wound, a scratch on his finger or just wiping his face.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
TV News is reporting that patient zero was 'wildly throwing up all over the place' when the ambulance picked him up. Throwing up in the apartment, outside the apartment ... and I'd imagine in the ambulance as well. Considering we know that ebola is spread through body fluids ... and that it can live a very long time on surfaces ... I'd say that ground is very contaminated.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Dear god people, the CDC has this completely under control! ISIS is getting pounded, the border is sealed, job numbers are awesome, Wallstreet will be back up over 17k! This is Murika! Number 1!!!!

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
1 ml (Milliliter) of body fluid can have up to 100 million Ebola virus particles
edit on 2-10-2014 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   

so unless he's spitting on everyone, or playing with vomit there is very little risk.

Whew!
Thank goodness. The patient has to play with the vomit for it to be infectious. The chances of a patient spitting on everyone are pretty slim also, so next to zero chance of infection by saliva, eh?

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
This is a little off-topic, but I feel it relates to the overall topic, which is Ebola and the spreading of this disease. Is anyone doing any sort of prepping now? Like picking up extra water/food/supplies/etc.? Maybe it's a little extreme to even think this now, but I was thinking it couldn't hurt to have some extra supplies or even a bugout bag.... If anything, is there anything anyone would recommend to pick up. Maybe something most people to think of?

To the OP- This story is getting scary, yesterday they were saying the contact total was under 20. Today we are seeing that number quadrupled, and who knows, even this updated figure could be conservative or way off... I do feel its going to get a lot worse before it gets better and a lot of people are under the assumption that it's very difficult for an epidemic in a country like USA, I totally disagree with these types of people. I

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
They dropped the ball on the first patient, and yet they say they can contain this.

Doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537
Is anyone doing any sort of prepping now? Like picking up extra water/food/supplies/etc.?

We are always a bit prepped up. But yesterday I decided to pad our preps with a few extra items from our long term storage company. I placed the order and usually I get the order within two weeks. This morning I got an email saying that they have some unusually high number of orders coming in and they won't even be able to start processing my order for another two weeks. That means I won't get my supplies for at least a month. That's twice as long as usual.

I'd say a lot of people are extra prepping ... not enough people ... but a lot more than usual.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_

According to the CDC spokesperson from Tuesdays conference "We are all connected by the air we breathe". Take that as you will.

That went off like a bomb in my mind. Did you notice the guy behind him spin a 'correction' real quick?

If Ebola gets a foothold the world population could be 3 billion inside a couple of years. Airborne variant = same damage, less time.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This angers me to no end how the hospital knowing had a sick man that potentially had Ebola, knowing where he was. Then proceed to send him off with antibiotics.

A nurse asked about the travel as part of a triage checklist and was told about it. “Regretfully, that information was not fully communicated throughout the full teams. As a result, the full import of that information wasn’t factored into the full decision making,” Texas hospital official Mark Lester said.

Starting to add up, not negligence on behalf or that we no there's apparently no preparedness measures until recently outside of the affected African areas, that information is intentionally being held back due to ignorance. Or is it something more-higher ups telling them not to worry, etc., obviously they are not even considering preparedness?

"It can't happen here!" Oh? Thanks, it is now.

A spokesman for Brussels Airlines, the only airline to fly direct scheduled services between Brussels and Monrovia, said he could not confirm that the passenger had flown with the company. "We also have not been contacted by anyone to tell us to take measures or contact passengers because of an infected passenger traveling with us," spokesman Geert Sciot said.

Why would that not be an ordered standard? Underestimating the threat?

Dr. Christopher Perkins, Dallas County Health and Human Services Medical Director, said that of the 18 people who had been in contact, many were "close family members".

The children among them "did not have any symptoms and so the odds of them passing on any sort of virus is very low", said Mike Miles, Dallas Independent School District superintendent.
- Exs from OP Source

Close family that used the same bathroom as him? Shared eating utensils in contact with saliva?

People or even animals that walked down the sidewalk that came into contact with the vomit?

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: SpaDe_

That went off like a bomb in my mind. Did you notice the guy behind him spin a 'correction' real quick?

If Ebola gets a foothold the world population could be 3 billion inside a couple of years. Airborne variant = same damage, less time.

How about that Canada's Health Agency removed the "airborne spread through humans is strongly suspected" to "airborne transmission has not been demonstrated between non- human primates" under the from Mode of Transmission section of the report.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join