It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

forms of meditation may alter the brain / can we test scientificly our ability?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
forms of meditation may alter the brain

Researchers measured brain activity before, during, and after meditation using electroencephalograms.

They found striking differences in a type of brain activity called gamma wave activity, which is involved in mental processes including attention, working memory, learning, and conscious perception.

Story in this link
content.health.msn.com...

I wonder if those that are more often in the meditative state, more sensative ect might be tested and found to be function on a higher level in some areas as well.
(I myself find it very easy to slip into a different state and as a normal constant, I also have lower blood pressure, body temp and shollower breathing than do others)

I really do feel that they would find a medical or scientific way to sort out the real from the fake within this 'paranormal' arena. (not that I feel anything is 'para' normal...it is all perfectly normal.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Of course it does......we have known this for centuries....some Zen monks have been tested and proven to be able to slow their breathing along with other physiological changes.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I remember reading about monks who were capable of controlling their heart rate and body temperatures, even to the point of sleeping in the snow wearing nothing but their tunics (probably the wrong word, I don't know what they wear).

I believe that meditation doesn't necessarily alter the brain, just enhances it's control over the body.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

Of course it does......we have known this for centuries....some Zen monks have been tested and proven to be able to slow their breathing along with other physiological changes.

I guess what I should have asked as a 'sub-question', is this: What exactly IS gamma (the jist to save me the hassle of looking it up right now). I wonder if this particular activity can lead to other 'activities' being monitared -
You know, actualy, I'm absolutley possative (no reason, just hit me that it's true) - that there is something measured that science can show and proove what so few believe.
Not that I have to ask why they don't talk about it.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I could have told them this without the experiments..It's a fact..anyone who practices joga can vouch for that..Take for instance the Kundalini..or the Natarai. which are dynamic meditational sesions...the whole idea of them are to cause a trancendental state of mind..this is not even the relaxtion type where you are induced to visualize another reality,these are much stronger forms of meditation...even slowing down ones physiological system such as metabolic rate,blood flow,heart and breathing..this is not new knowledge...come on...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
You may want to read this page from my web site....it's about taking the brain into the Alpha state for meditations and it does work but you have learn to do it which takes some practice. I use it for all meditations and any major workings I do.

www.geocities.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Horus_Re
I could have told them this without the experiments..It's a fact..anyone who practices joga can vouch for that..Take for instance the Kundalini..or the Natarai. which are dynamic meditational sesions...the whole idea of them are to cause a trancendental state of mind..this is not even the relaxtion type where you are induced to visualize another reality,these are much stronger forms of meditation...even slowing down ones physiological system such as metabolic rate,blood flow,heart and breathing..this is not new knowledge...come on...

Ok - I think the point of this thread is being missed.
The point isn't that there is a difference or that it is measured. My point was to relay my pondering on if there are other things measureable, or if this gamma thing is something in itself, that might be some sort of proof as to who has 'something going on' and who just has a bunch of lucy guesses.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Sure,I have also read that a Zen master could stop the flow of blood....after cutting through an artery...scence of well sensation/pain..walk on burning coal there's a Buddhist festival every year where people from alover the World go to see..

I've read somewhere that man uses only 10% of his brain capacity..we only know of five scences but there must be atleast another three that within say a couple of hundered years man will and must learn to use,they're there I wouldn't even say dorment...OK..you could say with some individuals they have manadged to kill them..but I'm sure that another sixth sence would be functional by the end of this century..atleast an incling of what someone else is thinking of you while looking through their eyes...not stareing at them??you know what I mean..It's a scence.well I seem to have no trouble with percieving what others might be 'inclined' to think...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I wish I had the $ and the scientists to go looking into this kind of thing. I saw a man at the gas station not too long ago - he was terminal. It was in it's begining stages, whatever it was, but he had no idea. If I could have just told him he needed to go see a doctor, get some tests run - never know, could have saved his life.
If I had told him? Too many times of that would let everyone around know 'what's up' and I'd be tagged as a nut.
If there were proof, I could have simply told him and that would have been that.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I'm sure the gamma wave could be monitored and measured, once the appropriate amount of electrodes are attached. I know very little of the semantics of brainwave monitoring.

Even if gamma waves are monitored and measured, I'm sure that the mainstream scientific community would find some way to dismiss the gamma wave activity and the 'para'normal experiences people have, if a connection was found between the two.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Lady V,thanks for the link....

Lady S,sorry but I misunderstood your point obviously..

I hope this can make up for my ignorance....
www.crystalinks.com...

Enjoy....

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Lady V,thanks for the link....

Lady S,sorry but I misunderstood your point obviously..

I hope this can make up for my ignorance....
www.crystalinks.com...

Enjoy....

Not ignorance on your part...I was too hurried tonight to type my thoughts completely or read them before posting. (SO in the room)
I peeked at your link. I do energy work and will be working with my Chakras here shortly (this is the only way I've found that I can get myself to fall asleep.)

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Lady S, DON'T HOLD YOUR INSTINCTS BACK...Don't fight them..they are there for a reason,come on..you have had countless of previous experience with them,it's an evolutionary process man developed through thousands of years..I remember as a child my grandfather 'Insisted' that I followed my instincts..He said to me "Even if you don't feel like going to school,for some reason or other..Don't..their your instincts,you could end up falling down the stairs as soon as you walk out the door." ,It was an example He was giving me,and to this day I have it as a second nature...I always follow my instincts..I'm teaching my son the same,mind you He has a great advantage on my days & circumstances,he even goes to a pedagogy school and does joga scince he was three,he's almost seven now.MO...my life....Love....

[edit on 7-12-2004 by Horus_Re]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Lady S, DON'T HOLD YOUR INSTINCTS BACK...Don't fight them..they are there for a reason,come on..you have had countless of previous experience with them,it's an evolutionary process man developed through thousands of years..I remember as a child my grandfather 'Insisted' that I followed my instincts..He said to me "Even if you don't feel like going to school,for some reason or other..Don't..their your instincts,you could end up falling down the stairs as soon as you walk out the door." ,It was an example He was giving me,and to this day I have it as a second nature...I always follow my instincts..I'm teaching my son the same,mind you He has a great advantage on my days & circumstances,he even goes to a pedagogy school and does joga scince he was three,he's almost seven now.MO...my life....Love....

Good lesson to teach him! I do follow my instincts, I just wish others (namely the one with the swollen eye, slashed open elbow and hurt back) would take my advice to heart as well!
You'd think they'd learn!

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Hey my dominat chakra is 'sahasrara' .I have my stones too &the altar..I lay cards also...I'm into numerology too..
14/2/70. it's a very ironic date for me to be born on as I have'nt know my parents atall....so much for the 'love child' ....

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
It may be well documented - but is not well practiced. If everyone knows how beneficial this is for them, then why are so few willing to practice it?

Here are a few more links to some of the many studies done on what we already know is good for us:

Meditation as Medicine
www.wholefitness.com...
- I've personally read this book and truly enjoyed it. The how's and why's are answered from an MD's perspective, having dedicated himself as well as his life's work to the service of others

www.sciencedaily.com...
- study on Zen Meditation

The Physical and Psychological Effects of Meditation
www.noetic.org...
- very insightful reading

Now you have plenty to further your journey...

[edit on 12/7/2004 by Juanita]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I've never read their attempts at meditation..

But I'll suggest Alan Watts.... he really knows his meditation ..

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Hey my dominat chakra is 'sahasrara' .I have my stones too &the altar..I lay cards also...I'm into numerology too..
14/2/70. it's a very ironic date for me to be born on as I have'nt know my parents atall....so much for the 'love child' ....

I wish I knew more about the significance of the stones. Certain ones draw my attention, and one - no idea what on earth this thing is, but I HAD to have it. Somehow I felt it belonged with me.

I do alot of energy channeling - some in, like Rieki, some out - no name for that, but it works wonders for getting rid of my pain and helping others in certain areas of need.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juanita
It may be well documented - but is not well practiced. If everyone knows how beneficial this is for them, then why are so few willing to practice it?

Here are a few more links to some of the many studies done on what we already know is good for us:

Meditation as Medicine
www.wholefitness.com...
- I've personally read this book and truly enjoyed it. The how's and why's are answered from an MD's perspective, having dedicated himself as well as his life's work to the service of others

www.sciencedaily.com...
- study on Zen Meditation

The Physical and Psychological Effects of Meditation
www.noetic.org...
- very insightful reading

Now you have plenty to further your journey...

[edit on 12/7/2004 by Juanita]

I've never practiced any yoga or what-have-you, but my body is naturaly in a state that would make a doctor think I was in meditation. (no clue why)
And I do deal very well with things.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngelaLadyS

I wish I knew more about the significance of the stones. Certain ones draw my attention, and one - no idea what on earth this thing is, but I HAD to have it. Somehow I felt it belonged with me.

I do alot of energy channeling - some in, like Rieki, some out - no name for that, but it works wonders for getting rid of my pain and helping others in certain areas of need.

Reiki; there are books ..here's a quick site that shows and explains the stones,you'll have to search you dominant ones based on your birth date and that's how you find the chakra and it's stones..

www.bestcrystals.com...

You will find also what shape and colour your altar should be..etc..etc..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join