It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious illness hospitalizes Calgary children

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
(((Mods: I did a search using the title of the article but didn't find anything)))

Calgary’s medical officer of health says in less than week, officials have identified four cases of a mysterious, neurological syndrome afflicting children in our city.

Dr. Judy MacDonald says the disease causes an acute, rapid onset of paralytic-type symptoms, including weakness in a limb or the face.

“What we’ve been seeing is weakness in a limb or weakness in a face that’s the picture in some of these cases” says Dr. Macdonald.

The children are currently receiving treatment at the Alberta Children’s Hospital.

Of the four cases, three have tested positive for entero-rhino virus.

“We want people to be aware that neurologic findings are a possible severe complication of Enterovirus D-68.”

Two more cases involving paralysis have been confirmed in B.C. Both patients are under the age of 20, and both have tested positive for Enterovirus D-68. There are also have been cases of paralysis reported within the past week in Colorado, Boston, Missouri and Michigan.

Mysterious illness hospitlizes children in Calgary, Alberta

For those who don't know:
Enterovirus 68 (EV68, EV-D68, HEV68) is a member of the Picornaviridae family, an enterovirus. First isolated in California in 1962 and considered rare, it has been on a worldwide upswing in the 21st century.

EV68 is one of the more than hundred types of enteroviruses, a group of ssRNA viruses containing the polioviruses, coxsackieviruses, and echoviruses. It is unenveloped. Unlike all other enteroviruses, EV68 displays acid lability and a lower optimum growth temperature, both characteristic features of the human rhinoviruses. In fact, it was previously called human rhinovirus 87 by some researchers.[5]

edit on 10 1 2014 by Sabiduria because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
This isn't a mystery at all!!! Non polio acute flaccid paralysis has skyrocketed in India and guess what? Polio vaccines are more widespread than ever with polio decreasing in record numbers. The polio vaccine is making people more prone to other entero viruses that can cause flaccid paralysis. But they will NEVER admit that .
edit on 1-10-2014 by GreenMtnBoys because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: GreenMtnBoys

Yep, you are right. I just read all about how this is happening by the thousands in India. Thousands.

It's only a matter of time until these diseases, including ebola, spread like wildfire and cannot be contained because of antibiotic resistance (in the case of bacterial infections) and suppressed immune systems caused by an overload of vaccines.

Doesn't surprise me a bit.

edit on 1-10-2014 by fictitious because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
easy peasy depopulation by ole mother earth......

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Sabiduria

I'm curious as to the vaccine schedule these kids may have had, more importantly, if any of the children that have come down with Picornaviridae were vaccine free.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Why does the media keep calling it a mystery virus if it's been identified? Because it's a "mystery" where it came from? Kind of lost on that, forgive me.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Mass media keeps stuff as vague as possible so no one can connect the dots. If you have no idea what is going on you tend to trust the ones that say they do.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   

polio isn't actually decreasing.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Yes, depopulation done by mother earth
nudge nudge

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreenMtnBoys
This isn't a mystery at all!!! Non polio acute flaccid paralysis has skyrocketed in India and guess what? Polio vaccines are more widespread than ever with polio decreasing in record numbers. The polio vaccine is making people more prone to other entero viruses that can cause flaccid paralysis. But they will NEVER admit that .

This is total speculation. You just assume that because they are vaccinated for polio it makes them more prone to other enteroviruses. That doesn't really make much sense. Where is your evidence that people that aren't vaccinated for polio aren't just as susceptible to this virus?

Yeah, you don't have any.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: fictitious

Yep, you are right. I just read all about how this is happening by the thousands in India. Thousands.

It's only a matter of time until these diseases, including ebola, spread like wildfire and cannot be contained because of antibiotic resistance (in the case of bacterial infections) and suppressed immune systems caused by an overload of vaccines.

Doesn't surprise me a bit.

You guys just talk complete nonsense on here. What would antibiotic resistance have to do with the Ebola virus and enterovirus? Antibiotics aren't used nor are they effective against viruses. Antibiotics treat bacterial infections.

Also, he's not right. He's just speculating.

edit on 2-10-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sabiduria

polio isn't actually decreasing.

The number of people especially children contracting polio IS decreasing in India while NPAFP is increasing! That's my point. It's a direct result of the OPV vaccine causine an opportunistic effect for other enteroviruses. This has been a problem in India for years now.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow

This is total speculation. You just assume that because they are vaccinated for polio it makes them more prone to other enteroviruses. That doesn't really make much sense. Where is your evidence that people that aren't vaccinated for polio aren't just as susceptible to this virus?

I don't have nor do I care to take the time to educate ignoramuses like yourself , you can google the info for yourself but here is the summary:

…while India has been polio-free for a year, there has been a huge increase in non-polio acute flaccid paralysis (NPAFP). In 2011, there were an extra 47,500 new cases of NPAFP. Clinically indistinguishable from polio paralysis but twice as deadly, the incidence of NPAFP was directly proportional to doses of oral polio [vaccine] received. Though this data was collected within the polio surveillance system, it was not investigated. The principle of primum non nocere was violated.[1]
edit on 2-10-2014 by GreenMtnBoys because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Wow. Uncalled for attack or what? Have some civility lest someone less of an ignoramus than yourself calls you out:

“In the states of Uttar Pradesh (UP) and Bihar, which have pulse polio rounds nearly every month, the non-polio AFP rate is 25- and 35-fold higher than the international norms. The relationship of the non-polio AFP rate is curvilinear with a more steep increase beyond six doses of OPV in one year...

The primary series of 3 OPV vaccinations should be administered according to the schedules of national immunization programmes, for example at 6 weeks, 10 weeks, and 14 weeks, or at 2 months, 4 months, and 6 months. In addition, a birth dose should be given as soon as possible after birth when the potential for poliovirus importation is very high or high and the transmission potential is high or moderate”

According to the WHO study, the incidence of NPAFP reported in the India study that you cite directly correlates to significantly higher than recommended doses of OPV.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I have brought up the oddness of recent attacks of a virus that is only affecting children in other threads and still have not found a previous occurrence of such an outbreak. CDC reports shown to find reported cases of E-68 only in patients between ages of 6months to 16years. I'm sure"reported" is somewhat of a keyword there but this just does not compute for me. I understand kids pass stuff between each other at school all the time. We are talking about a virus here. A virus selective by age?! Kids get the flu virus at school so do adult teachers, and they bring it home to adult parents. As far as what is reported in these instances that is not the case, which is outside of the norm.

We have to seek out other commonalities with these cases. Vaccine administration would seem to be the most logical avenue to explore. Schools require vaccines prior to beginning each school year for a student to attend (depending on the child's schedule of required vaccinations). School just started for the year, and we start getting reports of this outbreak. 1 & 1 usually adds up to 2. Though we will never get the information, I am curious as to how many children who's parents have filed objections allowing their child to not be vaccinated have been infected with this "mystery virus". That seems to me to be a pretty easy way to determine if the link is vaccine related. If unvaccinated kids are getting sick too we would need to start looking at other options.

I am just puzzled by an age selective virus. Seems to me (though I could be ignorant to other such outbreaks) there would have to be a human hand designing something so selective.
edit on 2-10-2014 by wastedown because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-10-2014 by wastedown because: grammar

edit on 2-10-2014 by wastedown because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-10-2014 by wastedown because: grammar

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508

Wow. Uncalled for attack or what? Have some civility lest someone less of an ignoramus than yourself calls you out:

“In the states of Uttar Pradesh (UP) and Bihar, which have pulse polio rounds nearly every month, the non-polio AFP rate is 25- and 35-fold higher than the international norms. The relationship of the non-polio AFP rate is curvilinear with a more steep increase beyond six doses of OPV in one year...

The primary series of 3 OPV vaccinations should be administered according to the schedules of national immunization programmes, for example at 6 weeks, 10 weeks, and 14 weeks, or at 2 months, 4 months, and 6 months. In addition, a birth dose should be given as soon as possible after birth when the potential for poliovirus importation is very high or high and the transmission potential is high or moderate”

According to the WHO study, the incidence of NPAFP reported in the India study that you cite directly correlates to significantly higher than recommended doses of OPV.

It's ONE study genius. You missed the point! The same thing that is happening with pertussis is happening with polio. There were 600k plus outbreaks of NPAFP! Many in countries with heavy polio vaccination. The take home message is you want hear about nor have they researched if the increase has anything to do with vaccines. It doesn't take a phd in statistics to figure it out and read between the lines hence my original quote.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Witness2008

As if it's truly a "mystery" lol.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Really? WHO is saying that polio is "an extraordinary event" is spreading to a degree that constitutes a public health emergency. It had been going down over the years but now it is flaring back up. 10 countries have polio problems and the WHO thinks it will only rise.

Quick, vaccinate your children with heavy metals, toxins and god knows what other crap. Funny how there was a big decline in people refusing vaccines and now there are all these illnesses that are "out of control" where you can be "saved" if you get a vaccine. *roll eyes*

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow

I don't have nor do I care to take the time to educate ignoramuses like yourself , you can google the info for yourself but here is the summary:

…while India has been polio-free for a year, there has been a huge increase in non-polio acute flaccid paralysis (NPAFP). In 2011, there were an extra 47,500 new cases of NPAFP. Clinically indistinguishable from polio paralysis but twice as deadly, the incidence of NPAFP was directly proportional to doses of oral polio [vaccine] received. Though this data was collected within the polio surveillance system, it was not investigated. The principle of primum non nocere was violated.[1]

LOL.. you calling me an ignoramus. Correlation does not equal causation

You can insult away, but you aren't educating anyone. Nice sourceless information. Correlation does not equal causation, ever hear that? Consider yourself an ignoramus now educated. YOU ARE JUST SPECULATING.

How about this for a thought.. since you apparently can't speculate anything but the most fear mongering scenario. We will take the info from your sourceless quote. It says it is indistinguishable from Polio, but the year after there are no more Polio cases the number jumps. Perhaps prior to the year with no Polio many cases were misdiagnosed and so there weren't actually more cases. You are talking about a third world country with very poor record keeping and many people without proper healthcare.

The best part.. that's just one consideration.. here is an even better one. Maybe it has nothing to do with polio vaccinations! Maybe it's just a big outbreak of a different virus.. you know like here in the US. Nothing has changed about Polio vaccinations from this year to last year, but there is an enterovirus spreading like wildfire. So if your assumption was correct than last year, or the year before, or the year before, or the year before there should have been these increased paralysis cases. So you jumped on the most extreme consideration rather than just realize that occam's razor would suggest there is just a new outbreak.

The irony of being called an ignoramus by someone who speculates, sensationalizes, and doesn't consider all possibilities or think critically. Sigh.
edit on 3-10-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

"Line up for your vaccines, can't get into school if you aren't vaccinated" /end sarcasm. That's exactly what they want.
Ebola, polio, Entero 68 all coming around flu season. Quick, everyone needs to get vaccinated or there is going to be mass deaths.

((As soon as I finished typing that out, I could hear this in my head))

What the end game is, I'm not sure but they have a couple different things set up so they will end up winning in some form or another.

1) Increase in vaccines (at a time when more and more people are refusing to get vaccinated)
2) Decrease in population (specifically those who are deemed weak)
3) Fear & panic to keep people distracted

This will probably end up killing multiple birds with one stone
edit on 10 3 2014 by Sabiduria because: (no reason given)

top topics

join