It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate Disruption's "Confederacy of Dunces"

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: xuenchen

I think I see what you are getting at. Even though I am all for renewable energy I do think solar is not that economical when it comes to other alternatives. Coal is still the cheapest form of electricity of that there is no doubt.

I am not a cost accountant; however, I believe that fossil fuels are considered 'cheap' sources of energy primarily because so many direct costs of waste disposal, toxic clean-up, acute and persistant health costs are born by the state and the taxpayer and those costs are not figured into the cost of fuel.

Fossil fuel sources have been subsidized by public moneys for as long as it has been used.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

In a nation where people willingly stuff their faces with the likes of McDonalds to the tune of billions of dollars the health benefits of renewable energy is a hard sell.

Just so you know I am not disagreeing with you on what you presented it is just as a nation we never seem to look at things with long term goals. As I already pointed out Geothermal is cheaper than coal in the long term over coal yet coal plants go up year after year while Geothermal remains stagnant.

The human species still has a long way to go IMO.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I think we agree on all these points. It's true that the greatest hinderance to, forgive the word, progress on this grave issue is the lack of ability by our leaders of all stripes and the rank and file to consider anything in the long term.

The inability to think long term has it's origins in fashionable business models. Also I think it is driven by a sub-conscous 'anti-communist' feeling.

There is also the spector, today more then ever perhaps in history, to blind faith in doctrines that closes minds to any possibility outside one's religion and I use the term religion to mean economic, social and spiritual schools of thought. Being open minded and willing to change your ideas is considered heresy and treason - a woe to anyone that considers new ideas or approachs.

I just read earlier today (and unfortunately the cited reference in the article was wikipedia but I'm certain it is referenced better there) that FDR started his presidency intending to help business. He believed that would help the economy of the times. When hee found that his initial policy wasn't working (open mind, aware of facts) and shifted his policies to ones that directly helped the majority of people and eventually brought the country out of the depression.

I think it's important to learn (eduction is required for critical and rational use of our minds) to be aware of what you are doing now but also of the possible consequences of that action both individually and collectively. That we are responsible for and our leaders don't just act for themselves they act, by our leave, for all of us.

Dieties of all manner help us now.

<< 1  2   >>

join