It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

36,000 walrus converge on Alaska Beach in strange new phenomenon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Due to the melting sea ice, a strange new phenomenon is growing each year. Walrus are converging on Alaska beaches and the trend has been occurring since 2007. This year, the numbers have grown to 36,000, from what was a normal number of tens, sometimes hundreds of walruses each year. That's a significant number. The article states that they would normally use sea ice as a resting place as they followed the ice receding into the Bering Sea during summer months until they ended up in the Chukchi Sea. There's been so little sea ice that they are now getting stranded on the beaches. Experts are studying what effects this is having on their health, food supply and behavior.

Stranded walrus are new phenomenon and we don't know how bad it will get

In pic above, 1500 walrus are gathered on Northwest coast of Alaska.

“Occupying these areas and foraging these areas concentrates tens of thousands of walruses in a smaller area that is already known to be less rich than their off-shore foraging ground, and there is a concern that they could deplete the resources,” he said. “We don’t have a good measure of that — these are simply hypotheses or concerns we have.”
Some of the 35,000 walrus have been taking long trips offshore to forage, Fisbach said, while others have been sticking close to shore. Journeying farther out to sea may grant the walrus access to better food supplies, but it could also mean that they’re expending more calories than they’re gaining, Fischbach said. He’s working on a project that involves attaching radio tracking devices to the walrus so that he can track their behavior in the group — where and how often they go to forage and how often they rest — and compare it to historical data on walrus behavior.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Interesting read, thanks for posting this.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

It's not melting sea ice that caused this. You can't make sweeping generalizations. The walruses most likely had a big democratic convention and voted that they all wanted a change of scenery. Stop spreading propaganda. Note: this was written with extreme sarcasm.

More crazy and obvious signs from mother nature to get our # together. She's really trying hard to warn us. Maybe people would listen if mother earth became CEO of Earth, Gaia Jones.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
isnt this the customary time that they have their mating season?

Mating season is long, from about December through March. The walruses will consume much less food during this period of time. The males can become very aggressive with each other for the right to mate. They can also become aggressive towards the female that they are mating with. There is evidence that the various types of scars and cuts around the necks and backs of walruses are due to this type of interaction.
ah so a tad bit early for their mating season but that may be playing a factor in why they have all moved there

www.walrus-world.com...

animals.howstuffworks.com... general info on the walrus as i found some of it interesting

although for those skeptical of the OP's link here seems to be a counter point or at least counter argument www.climatedepot.com...

Zoologist Dr. Susan Crockford: Mass haulouts of Pacific walrus and stampede deaths are not new, not due to low ice cover - 'The attempts by WWF and others to link this event to global warming is self-serving nonsense that has nothing to do with science...this is blatant nonsense and those who support or encourage this interpretation are misinforming the public.' 'The Pacific walrus remains abundant, numbering at least 200,000 by some accounts, double the number in the 1950s' 'Dating back to at least the 1604, there have been reports of large walrus gatherings or haulouts.' - 'Walrus haulouts are not unusual and have long been recognized and islands have been set aside for such gatherings.' Walruses known to migrate away from ice in late summer & fall: “In the non-reproductive season (late summer and fall) walruses tend to migrate away from the ice and form massive aggregations of tens of thousands of individuals on rocky beaches or outcrops.” AP’s own reporting debunks unprecedented walrus claims: The AP reported on 40,000 walruses in a haulout just 7 years ago in a single location. Walrus stampede deaths drop dramatically from 3000 in 2007 to 50 in 2014?: AP: 2007: ‘3,000 walruses die in stampedes tied to Climate’ Walrus stampede deaths benefit polar bears: 'Stampeded remains of 100 walruses fed up to 185 polar bears'

no idea on if the above is factual or not just figured some one far smarter then me on this issue would be able to tell(not a biologist my self)

www.nbcnews.com... i guess NBC ran with this story back in 2007 as well

en.wikipedia.org... wiki on walrus for what its worth

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

edit on 1-10-2014 by theyknowwhoyouare because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Doesn't seem that strange to me. If I needed a rest from the ocean, I'd go to the beach too. It isn't as if they are climbing trees. That would be strange.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

hahaha you beat me to it. Damn I wanted to point out how gullible the global warming fanatics are

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I didn't appreciate the majesty and physical presence of these creatures until I saw one in person.

A beach full of thousands must be something truly incredible.

I'm going to pass on comment regarding the climate change debate.

Thanks for posting this.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Probably doing a pow wow about how stupid we are and the stupid # we do.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

It's not melting sea ice that caused this. You can't make sweeping generalizations. The walruses most likely had a big democratic convention and voted that they all wanted a change of scenery. Stop spreading propaganda. Note: this was written with extreme sarcasm.

More crazy and obvious signs from mother nature to get our # together. She's really trying hard to warn us. Maybe people would listen if mother earth became CEO of Earth, Gaia Jones.

Even before the sarcasm assurance, I was still smiling.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I don't know what's true or false here. Were they having these strandings before? I don't know but it's no surprise that the skeptics would have their own back up article. Isn't there always. Every time it becomes obvious that the natural cycles of things are off, both sides have a war chest full of ammunition to refute the other. In this case, there is enough evidence to show that ice is retreating and it would make sense that walruses would become stranded being they aren't long distance swimmers. The article states (and this comes from the experts who study their movements) that prior to 2007 there were only hundreds of walruses coming on these beaches. That's a significant jump to 35,000.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

They don't look stranded to me. They're right next to the water. They are able to maneuver on land. So how are they stranded?

If its cold that they're after, it doesn't make sense that they would pile up like that and be getting warm.

What are you and this article getting at?

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The walruses are moving into Town. GTFO Humans. Hogging all the territory.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
This is an article from 2013 on the same thing in Alaska:

Thousands of Walruses Swarm Beach

A 2011 article points out how global warming is blamed. Again in Alaska.

Walruses Leave Three Weeks Early

Alaska, 2010:

Walrus Swarm 2010, Alaska Dispatch News

From the first few pages of Google search results. Seems like a lot of people think this happens often.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: smithjustinb

They don't look stranded to me. They're right next to the water. They are able to maneuver on land. So how are they stranded?

If its cold that they're after, it doesn't make sense that they would pile up like that and be getting warm.

They swim. But, they can't swim for too long so they use icebergs to rest as the ice moves north in summer and then back again in fall. But, since there isn't the ice, they are stranded along the beach. They swim out into the sea to get food and that's about it. Sometimes they swim further so they are being studied to see what affects this has on them.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Alaska, 2010:

From the first few pages of Google search results. Seems like a lot of people think this happens often.

It says it my post that this isn't something new, just that it's increasing but that it has been happening since 2007. Prior to that it was small groups sometimes even less than a hundred walruses.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Alaska, 2010:

It says it my post that this isn't something new, just that it's increasing but that it has been happening since 2007. Prior to that it was small groups sometimes even less than a hundred walruses.

Nope, sorry. It's been happening over the last 45 years.

At least two documented incidents like this have occurred in the recent past: one in 1978, on St. Lawrence Island and the associated Punuk Islands and the other in 1972, on Wrangell Island (Fay and Kelly 1980, excerpts below).

I believe that back in the '70s the world was worried about the impending Ice Age, were they not? Anyhow, the link provided contains the relevant excerpts.

Upon reflection, I am forced to conclude that walrus may not be the brightest of critters.

edit on 1-10-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I know that Rezlooper

After reading the OP I wanted to see the stories from previous years myself through Google.

Honestly I personally have no idea whether it's global warming or something else but animals, the people, the planet have all been messed up for a long time. I don't think the public will get any answers for a long time.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

originally posted by: smithjustinb

They swim. But, they can't swim for too long so they use icebergs to rest as the ice moves north in summer and then back again in fall. But, since there isn't the ice, they are stranded along the beach. They swim out into the sea to get food and that's about it. Sometimes they swim further so they are being studied to see what affects this has on them.

Thanks for clearing that up. I expect if sand is a problem, they will adapt to it. That's how evolution works.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Why not blame chemtrails or HAARP for this unusual walrus behaviour, especially HAARP, that's responsible for everything these days.

But chemtrails can pack a punch too, even more so when used in conjunction with.......you guessed it: HAARP.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join