It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO Airstrikes Target Grain Silos In Syria – Defeating ISIS By Starving Syrians?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Not sure what's going on with this, but an article is saying NATO is bombing grain silos in Syria.

Can anybody make some sense out of this story?

The article author(s) may be biased and may believe that the real target in Syria is the Syrian government, not necessarily ISIS.

As the United States continues its shrouded assault on the Syrian government, new targets for the U.S. airstrikes have emerged. This time, it is not oil refineries, but grain silos.

In an airstrike campaign that took place Sunday night, “coalition” aircraft struck “mills and grain storage facilities in Manbij,” a town in Northern Syria which was controlled by Western-backed death squads.

Manbij is located slightly northeast of Aleppo, the largest city in Syria which is itself the scene of fierce fighting between the NATO-directed ISIS forces and the Syrian government. The SAA began focusing on Aleppo intently in the last few months.

NATO Airstrikes Target Grain Silos In Syria – Defeating ISIS By Starving Syrians?

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Perhaps we want to force them to sell us oil for our grain. America is the largest producer and exporter of grain on planet earth by a long shot.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
airstrikes hit grain silos in Syria

According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, the strikes hit grain silos and other targets in the town of Manbij, reportedly mistaking them for an ISIL base. The group says silo workers were killed in the bombings. The number of civilian casualties is still unclear. Washington has not commented on the report yet. The US-led airstrikes also hit the entrance of the Coneco gas plant in Dayr al-Zawr, which is the country’s richest province in oil, and located on the Iraqi border

About the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights

SOHR is run out of a two-bedroom terraced home in near London by one person, Rami Abdulrahman, the Newyork times describes him being on the phone all day every day with contacts in Syria

Syrian Observatory - webite

in this video they even say he is based in London , but he joins us from Damascus Syria-- but the fountains in the background aren't moving , so who knows

edit on 1-10-2014 by ShadowChatter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

I thought we all knew isis was an excuse to bomb syria. A year ago our govt is pushing hard to bomb syria, civilians oppose it, then in less than a year there is a bew group doing things so horrible no one can respectfully and responsibly say no to striking them.. and they hide in Syria. We are bombing Syria but we are aupposed to think "we are bombing syria but not really."

I used to kinda doubt that (general?) gentleman who said we weregoing after 7 countriea in 5 years, but now it seems only the time table waa ambitious.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow
I thought we all knew isis was an excuse to bomb syria. A year ago our govt is pushing hard to bomb syria, civilians oppose it, then in less than a year there is a bew group doing things so horrible no one can respectfully and responsibly say no to striking them..

Kind of my take on it as well.

The administration really wanted to attack Syria and the stupid public opinion was not going to get in the way.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Im curious if you (not just you xue but anyone reading this) found out our govt was using an insurgent group to carry out a secret war against an entire country, how would you feel. I dont mean using b.s. excuses and knowing they went to war unjustly. I mean looking yoy in the eye and saying we arent attacking Syria when they really were.

I think we are creating an insane amount of enemies. The terrorism fantasy our media and tsa and fbi have lived for the last decade may end up our reality if we dont get out of the mid east and stay out.

edit on 1-10-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

link   
We're not coordinating with the FSA or Kurds either. Just hitting empty buildings and whatever makes it on to the target list. Sounds like Nam...

www.businessinsider.com...

We won't put FACs on the ground with the "moderates" or Kurds either. Makes no sense.

link   
This new air bombing campaign has been one giant cluster foxtrot since its inception.

I think most of us on here knew when obama announced it, that this would be an excuse for war against Assad and it would result in many civilian casualties.

As a side note, has anyone seen John Oliver's most recent Last Week Tonight clip on YouTube about drones?
edit on 1-10-2014 by ltdan08 because: drones

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: GogoVicMorrow

Im curious if you (not just you xue but anyone reading this) found out our govt was using an insurgent group to carry out a secret war against an entire country, how would you feel.

Not easy to form opinions on all this.

But knowing the "reasons" for a "secret" war would make it easier.

Not sure what the "reasons" really are.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ltdan08
This new air bombing campaign has been one giant cluster foxtrot since its inception.

I think most of us on here knew when obama announced it, that this would be an excuse for war against Assad and it would result in many civilian casualties.

As a side note, has anyone seen John Oliver's most recent Last Week Tonight clip on YouTube about drones?

Syria's government has the ability to contest air superiority, at least for a short while.

Were Assad's forces under attack it is a safe bet that Russia would be screaming bloody murder.

Why throw away being able to act against IS with impunity?

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I won't hold much stock in a report that starts with the line "As the United States continues its shrouded assault on the Syrian government" and ends with "the NATO-directed ISIS forces"..

I can't put my finger on it, but something tells me they have an agenda.....

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ltdan08

Except that it isn;t a War on Assad, is it? None of his forces have been targeted and they are even lauding the US-led strikes in Damascas and on State media as a "victory"...

That has continued since the US-led coalition began carrying out air strikes on IS targets in Syria.

The government in Damascus, which was accused of deliberately not targeting the jihadists between mid-2013 and mid-2014, has hailed the strikes as a victory, even though it has been made clear by Washington that there has been no co-ordination.

Link

So all this bollocks about it being a plot to attack Assad is precisely that, bollocks...

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

I can give you my personal belief and one of thw reasons im almost certain of.

Iran is next. There is no striking Iran without owning Syria's airspace and nit to mention Syria and Iran have pacts to gelp one another. I would say Syria is the last stop before Iran.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Drunkenparrot

Good point. But is it only a matter of time before Syrian forces become targets as well? How long before one of Assad's planes or AA batteries takes a pot shot at a US fighter?

On top of that, the Saudis have joined they foray as well. I can imagine that there is no command and control with all of the different fighting forces. I have a feeling that Putin might indirectly give the green light to Assad to start shooting at whatever's flying overhead.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

That would make no strategic sense on behalf of the Syrian Government - not while they are pounding the enemies of the regime.....I would imagine that their AA defences are under strict orders not to fire.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
The sad fact is the rest of the Muslim world thinks most Americans are brainwashed idiots and willing if not ignorant puppets of Israel.

I work next door to two men from Morocco who happen to be Muslim. As we've bonded over speaking French and become friends, they've begun sharing their politics with me.

They've made a few things absolutely certain.

1. No imam of any consequence has endorsed Isis. Isis follows no orthodox Muslim teachings. They have been created as a cartoonish freak to justify american aggression.
2. The war against Syria is an attempt to start the great war pitting Christians and hews against Muslims.
3. Israel has the most to gain by causing unrest in all Muslim countries and toppling as many governments as possible.
4. Most Americans are too distracted watching football and too politically ignorant to realize their country has been taken over by a coup of bribery (bakshish).
5. Unless Americans wake up, the rest of the world may indeed unite to fight americaamerica and its relentless war on Muslims.

The sad thing is I could not argue with them. What clear and present danger do grain silos present american citizens?

This is criminally insane and there is no justification.
edit on 1-10-2014 by mcChoodles because: spelling

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ltdan08
But is it only a matter of time before Syrian forces become targets as well? How long before one of Assad's planes or AA batteries takes a pot shot at a US fighter?

If Syrian forces target an Allied aircraft, I'm sure it will become a target. That wouldn't be the smart move. I imagine Assad is plenty bright. He's watching his various enemies kill themselves and can take advantage of this time to shore up his own position. He was smart enough to let ISIL and FSA (and others) duke it out among eachother at home. He'll be plenty smart enough to sit back and let the Americans and NATO do his dirty work concerning ISIL.

I can imagine that there is no command and control with all of the different fighting forces.

You'd imagine very wrong. Command and control is critical in such an operation, and everyone involved has experience in combined air ops together.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
You sound so willing to discredit all of this as soon as you can, and to be honest this seems quite usual for you, but dont forget this is a conspiracy site...

So its not suspicious at all to you they bombing OIL REFINERIES first of all? After making very clear in the recent past, including failed setups, that they have obvious intentions of toppling assads 'regime'?

Me thinks, they are going to bait assad into collaborating. Something he can no longer refuse in a matter of time, seeing the US is gaining support from his troops even and the grain could be used as a dealmaker... Once baited, the US has plenty of experience with the final blow, their checkmate move could be anything from framing him to straight faced elimination in the name of retaliation.

A small part of me (trust me, just a bit of healthy existential realism that makes me aware life can end as fast as it was given to me) wants to see this in a bigger picture and when I do, it looks like a major step is approaching rather fast, and its not going to be a step forward for us, at all...

When syria is gone as we know it (and to be honest, it already almost is, the ideology was destroyed a couple of years ago, only the infrastructure is left but in crumbles), only Iran remains, and today netanyahu has again informed obama he is really concerned with their nuclear program, so imo, the masters have already considered syria a done deal, time to focus on iran again, isis will be forgotten as soon as assad is replaced (the event that leads to his removal will be what distracts the public enough to make them forget we were there for isis in the first place, and they wont discover until they no longer care to remember they were again scammed) unless it can be further exploited to get to iran too, or they could reemerge later on when boogeymen are needed again.

Where it goes from there i can only make scared guesses. Iran will know when its the last one in the room everyone else wants dead, but i think they are smart enough to have some kind of life insurance arranged, and in the worst case, im sure theyd make sure they wouldn't be going out alone...

originally posted by: stumason

Except that it isn;t a War on Assad, is it? None of his forces have been targeted and they are even lauding the US-led strikes in Damascas and on State media as a "victory"...

That has continued since the US-led coalition began carrying out air strikes on IS targets in Syria.

The government in Damascus, which was accused of deliberately not targeting the jihadists between mid-2013 and mid-2014, has hailed the strikes as a victory, even though it has been made clear by Washington that there has been no co-ordination.

Link

So all this bollocks about it being a plot to attack Assad is precisely that, bollocks...

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Sounds like the exact same MO as with Libya and it's no fly zone, bomb all critical public infrastructure. Perhaps if military intelligence was not such a paranoid, self obsessed bully they might of actually learnt something about how that situation turned out. Or maybe they did and they just do not care?

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: NoNameNeeded

It's clear you only have a cursory knowledge of what is going on over there, then..

Why did they target Oil refineries? Well, they were ones setup by IS to process the crude they have been extracting from captured wells. If they take out IS source of income, that will lead to a degradation of their overall capability, won't it? Some sources say IS makes $2 million a day from oil sales.

But as you are clearly an astute strategist and clued up on what has been happening (and lets face it, most of the "IS is a NATO false flag" crowd seem to think IS didn't exist prior to June 2014), I am sure you were aware of this.

And, where does it say this is a "conspiracy" site? The motto has always been "deny ignorance" - ie, lets get to the truth, not half baked theories. And the thing about people who push these half-baked theories is that they always have this massively inflated sense of self-importance, that they've seen "the bigger picture", that everyone else needs to "wake up"...

I've been around long enough to see that the vast majority of the paranoid nonsense posted here never comes to pass, yet it keeps getting regurgitated. Apparently, we should have invaded Iran about a dozen times by now and those FEMA camps were in preparation for Martial Law that never materialized, for example.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join