It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

One Year Ago: The Obamacare Rollout (and ensuing boondoggles)

page: 1

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:17 PM
Well it's been a year now since the ACA Obama.Care exchanges opened for "business".

Since then, we have seen a few changes and delays associated with the ACA.

We have also witnessed many questionable fallouts and oversights.

How has Obama.Care affected the majority of citizens?

For better or for worse?

This article might be as confusing as the ACA.....

On October 1, 2013, the 'Affordable' Care Act opened for business. What played out over the ensuing months will go down as one of the most catastrophic Washington failures in US history. The program's buggy, broken website crashed repeatedly. Obamacare's under-vetted navigators turned customers away in droves. Consumers were sent to nonexistent brick-and-mortar enrollment locations. Millions of Americans' existing plans have been canceled, as required by the law's new coverage mandates (with millions more in the pipeline). Costs, both in terms of premiums and out-of-pocket expenses, have soared for many. Major pieces of the law have since been unilaterally altered and delayed, while multiple states have abandoned their proprietary exchanges, flushing away hundreds of millions in taxpayer dollars in the process. In spite of the administration's triumphal spin, enrollment figures have fallen far short of expectations, with risk pools looking older and sicker than projected. The nation's healthcare tab is still growing. Access to preferred doctors and hospitals has been curtailed. And, dogged by data security concerns, remains under construction and won't be fully functional for November's second open enrollment period.

follow the links for confusing details ....
One Year Ago: The Obamacare Rollout

Obama.Care isn't quite as shovel ready as many would have believed

Is the Champagne *Really* Korbel ?

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:36 PM
What we were sold was a bill for universal healthcare -

What we got was a huge bill for our healthcare.

My Dad still defends Obama and says the republicans stymied him or he tried his best.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:36 PM
a reply to: xuenchen

There should be more rage from the American public but for that many Americans would have to leave fairy tale land. The cost of the website alone is a pure example of how burdening this will be on the public. Most anything (if not everything) that the government has consumed has become financially and morally corrupt.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:37 PM
If you ask me, the details weren't confusing at all. The article pretty much laid out what everyone already knew, and what most people were stating from the start. The bill was horrible. It did absolutely nothing except raise the already rising cost of healthcare, prevented low income people from affording healthcare, and completely screwed over a lot of people that already held adequate plans.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.
The passing of the Affordable Care Act was a last attempt to keep insurance companies alive. Ask anyone in the healthcare industry, healthcare and insurance costs were climbing at an unsustainable rate. The passing of this bill actually falls into a pattern I noticed a while ago:

What are 3 of the biggest industries in the states? Automotive, housing, and insurance.

The big 3 car makers were starting to go down. What happened? The cash for clunkers program, to dupe people into trading in their perfectly fine automobiles, scraping them, and getting them to pick up another car payment. When that didn't work? Taxpayer bailout.

The housing bubble was growing unstable, so laws were passed to make banks hand out more loans to make more money. That didn't work, so...... You guessed it. Bailout.

Health insurance industry is growing out of control. What happens? A law is passed to force everyone to purchase healthcare at a higher cost with higher deductibles. And guess what is more than likely going to happen based on recent history? I'll give you a clue: it starts with a "B", and ends with "ailout"
edit on 1-10-2014 by dothedew because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:23 PM
a reply to: dothedew

I want to believe you. How do you explain the death of the single-payer proposal while the ACA was still being written? It certainly wasn't because of Obama and the Dem's.

Lacking a democratic super-majority in the senate we were stuck with this forced, private insurance garbage. Unfortunately, the HoR at the time agreed to only single-payer or gov. mandate. Seeing the moderate Dem's and the GOP in the senate weren't going to vote for single-payer we have what you see now.

Healthcare issues we're seeing today and blaming on 'Obamacare' are, almost, purely political. The 23 states who have flat-out refused to expand Medicaid have seen premiums rise faster and higher than the 27 states who actually expanded Medicaid. On top of that you've got a new, very conservative, HoR actively working against the law. So that when problems arise from the intentional derailment they point their fingers and say, 'See? We told you their idea was bad!'

Then you have to remember that the only thing that seems to matter in this country is jobs. Jobs. Jobs. Jobs. That's all I hear about this election season, who's going to create more jobs. Kill the insurance industry with single-payer and there will be a lot of people out of work. So we're going to have to swallow this pill because, though it's bitter and getting worse, it's way, way, way better than what we had before it.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:48 PM
a reply to: links234

I see that we've come to the "damned if we do, even more dammed if we don't", and yes, I agree. As much as I hate to say it, this is better than our earlier system (minus the penalties, of course).
However, my main fear about this law, and everything that had ensued because of it, is that it's going to fold, and bring everything down with it.

Here's where my other issue lies. IF, the ACA does bankrupt the insurance industry, I don't see how we could go back from it. I honestly don't think health insurance was supposed to be used the way it is now.

As another poster said on another thread some time ago, health insurance started coming around during the early 1900's or so, during the wars. The plans were marketed towards the industrial workers, who were already healthy to begin with (no gmo's, fast food, blah blah blah). So basically, these companies were making money hand over foot (besides the occasional workplace accident).

Once all of these people started actually NEEDING their insurance and cashing in on the benefits in their old age, premiums had to go up to compensate for the money they were spending. Continue this cycle over the decades, leading up to the last generation of" baby boomers " who are retiring and becoming elderly, all of the health ailments coming from the good we eat, and you end up in our current situation.

If anything, the ACA may have postponed the the health crash I predict. Maybe temporarily, maybe indefinitely. Time will tell. All I know is in the meantime, lots of people are getting really angry at our current situation with this act...

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:45 PM
Was that a year ago?

Seems i misplaced all my paperwork to sign up

Whoops maybe I'll try again this year

(Not really though lol )

I'm a van dweller so where would they send all my packets

top topics