It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Bans Political Fundraising Parties At Lobbyists' Homes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
The phrase to little to late comes to mind when reading the article, but then both the D's and R's love their lobbyists and the money they provide their bribes.

Lobbyists in California will be banned from throwing lavish fundraising parties at their homes and offices for state candidates under a bill signed Tuesday by Democratic Governor Jerry Brown, who vetoed other proposals introduced in the wake of a series of ethics scandals.

"As public servants, we have a responsibility to uphold the integrity of the offices we serve in," said state Senator Ricardo Lara, a Democrat from the Los Angeles suburb of Huntington Park, who introduced the bill.

Brown vetoed several other bills aimed at tightening campaign finance rules, however, including three introduced after two state senators were indicted on corruption charges.

source

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
They will still have them at banquet halls and hotels.
I wouldnt be surprised if the lobbyist' lobbied for this. That way when somebody leaves and gets a DUI smash and kill they can easier distance themselves from any responsibility.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Agree, as I see it this does very little to change the game of lobbying our politicians. Could it be the hostelry lobby promoted it to bring in more business?

edit on 1-10-2014 by AlaskanDad because: typo

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Not only that but have you ever had to clean up after a political fundraiser?

Vomit stains, spilled beer, knocked over shrimp cocktails. Not to mention the absolute hell that is peeling Ron Paul off of the carpet after he's had too many Colorado "candy" bars.

They're just tired of staring at the help clean up the mess. Takes them back to their fraternity days...

Each time a fundraiser is held at a politician's home, there's always a risk you'll slip on the grease dripping from their palms.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
getting the lobby money out of politics and abolishing PAC's are the biggest steps to being a democracy again.....politicians are whores.

I wish this had some teeth but sadly I agree with Tinner

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: howmuch4another

As I said in the OP:

The phrase to little to late comes to mind when reading the article, but then both the D's and R's love their lobbyists and the money they provide their bribes.

I wish we could ban lobbying completely!

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

Good for Jerry Brown! I would love it if a law was passed that if anyone was caught so much as letting a lobbyist buy them a cup of coffee (or martini as the case may be) they would be charged and relieved of their position.

Enough is enough. Seriously! Why should we have to put up with this crap?

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   

They will still have them at banquet halls and hotels.

Yeah, so maybe this should be seen as a ploy by the hotels to eliminate the competition? Sounds like true Capitalism in action. What could be better than... hey! Wait a minute...

Didn't the Supreme Court say that Companies are People? Hotels are companies aren't they? Wouldn't this bill ban Hotels (people) from holding lobbying/ fund raising events? Oh my gosh...

They are going to have to hold them in Churches now.

edit on 2/10/2014 by rnaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Interesting.

Clooney and company will be devestated!

Lot's of others do this.

Coming from California that is damn right hilarious.

'Ban' political fundraisers at home!!!!

Hell that is how the current guy in the oval office raised 2 billion dollars.
edit on 2-10-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: howmuch4another
getting the lobby money out of politics and abolishing PAC's are the biggest steps to being a democracy again.....politicians are whores.

I wish this had some teeth but sadly I agree with Tinner

Well whose fault is it that the vote goes towards the member with the biggest exposure money can buy? If Voters not just in America would take a fraction of the time to follow the world of politics they dedicate to entertainment it would help. And I am not talking about following the most exciting stories in the news.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Merinda

Yep. The uninformed voter train has left the station though and you aren't going to get stupid people to stop watching the Kardashians or Real Houswives. The unfortunate result of that reality is that it is almost impossible to overcome our current two party system with other viable choices. They just don't get the traction. FOX and MSNBC, WT and NYT will always push agendas. So a solution albeit unlikely is to outlaw lobbying and PAC's. Heck we could even ban all political ads as far as I'm concerned and only televise debates and candidate stump speeches and it would be a slightly better system.

new topics

top topics

join