It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CGI just got real

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: rigel4
Sort me out a lush sex slave..
decent build quality please.. I don't want to break
it.

touch effect gloves, occulus rift, pressure pads, this software.... the mind boggles.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I foresee a future where overpaid actors are a rarity and video games rock.

Interactive movies or games that are more like movies take your pick.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi video games rock..

well i certainly prefer Los Santos (gtaV) to my actual locale. if i could be 'in' it i would stay there.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Check out the movie "Looker" from 1981. In short, it's about an advertising agency that scans the likeness of real women into their computer system, after they've had cosmetic surgery to make them "perfect". After getting their likeness, they kill them so they don't have to pay them for using their likeness in commercials.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
WTF? Double post.
edit on 10/1/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: rigel4
Sort me out a lush sex slave..
decent build quality please.. I don't want to break
it.

3d printer will be your friend my friend

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

I'm willing to bet we will be inside the show for the most part.
It will be optional, but I bet most people will embrace the idea of being in the show and a part of it almost as much as watching.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
CGI is used more than people realize these days.

Ive been designing and selling 3D assets for games,films and adverts for about 6 years now. Its not my main source of income but its great fun
The only annoying thing is i dont know who buys them or where they get used, though i have spotted a few on the history channel a few times. All i get to know is which country the person buying them is from.

edit on 1-10-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

It really is isn't it, so deep and philosophical, lol.

Too bad it won't be around until Sons of Anarchy and Jax Teller are gone

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkblade71

Yep, it will spawn a whole new set of UFO hoaxes.

Or additional pretexts to war...

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

The person is real...with CGI APPLIED to the piece. ie: Real person w/ CGI effects.

Can you share where that is stated at?

On the artist's site he says he put 800 hours into this work and is working on a body that will take, of course, much longer. That's a big claim you are making, and if only a claim but not evidence,when one should be encouraged to continue working to advance the graphics field, especially since it is volunteer work(he's not being paid). Also, as stated he can't continue advancing in the future without compensation, due to time-which is a likely scenario for anyone with that amount of dedicated hours, if people share his work on the net without proper accreditation to him.
edit on 2-10-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4
i find it odd that the ultimate goal of photorealism is to be indistinguishable from what is real. its ultimate aim is to be undetectable.

I would disagree with this.

The ultimate aim is often to make money through entertainment. Its goal is to be hyper real or photo-real, but very few resources are spent on making it undetectable. This is especially noticeable when looking at the public's reactions to executions. When presented with the Hollywood blood splattered hyper real and the 'actual' real, many of the public think it's the reality that's fake. They actually expect people's head's to explode like water melons, muzzle flashes the size of Hiroshima and Hollywood style acting pre-execution. Most work flows are interested on making 'feel' right, not making it 'be' right whether that's the acquisition method or the events that are being questioned.

In the case of ISIL / ISIS, all joking aside, this technology wouldn't be that useful to them. Yes, it might convince joe-public but natural photography statistics would allow intelligence agencies to unmask it. Digital imagery carries with it many attributes that CGI work flows are not designed to replicate. Can it be replicated? Sure. Efficiently by ISIL? Not amazingly likely.

Also the questioning of future proofing. Even if your ability to foil detection methods are robust there is always the chance you will leave something behind in the image. With a video, you're leaving behind 20 - 30 images a second to scrutinize. Why bother when you can behead someone for real?

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   

So glad someone else has seen The Third and the Seventh! I've been loving that short for a few years and have nothing but respect for the attention to detail. I love the house in the woods, magical.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   

I think this technology will mean that one day we will see real snuff movies in the movies and we will just put it down to computer animation. I think TPTB and the military and enforcement complex will use this technology to play games with our minds and further direct our views on many things and people.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: learnatic

I don't doubt for one minute that this high quality CGI technology already is being used for nefarious purposes... it has probably been used for years now.

Thoughts like that can make a person start questioning everything they're seeing on tv, on the news, etc.

Is it live ?
Or is it Memorex ?

*shiver*

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
a reply to: learnatic
I don't doubt for one minute that this high quality CGI technology already is being used for nefarious purposes... it has probably been used for years now.

Some good purposes too. Has been used to entrap sex offenders and in criminal trials etc ...

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I didn't say it was stated. Just like a 3D printers...everything has an origin point to build on/from.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

No it's not - it's all CGI.

I do this for a living, though not on that level.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

beat me to it! This was a great movie...or maybe I just remember it that way since it ran as an endless loop on cable back in the day. This movie is ripe for a remake. The tech, from the virtual actors to the "Light Ocular-Oriented Kinetic Emotive Responses (L.O.O.K.E.R.) gun", is more relevant today than in the 80's

edit on 10/2/2014 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

No. This is completely rendered. He spent about 800 hours on it. It's not a real person with CGI applied.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join