It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CGI just got real

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
i think this is rather impressive. soon we won't be able to distinguish reality from graphics.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

Is that all CGI? Up until recently (or now) the hardest thing to fool with CGI was the human brain recognizing a human face. Before that it was hair, and before that, flowing water. So, computers can now trick the brain into thinking a face on screen is really human and not computer generated (and I guess I mean from scratch and not overlaying someone's face onto a computer template)? Better tell some of the companies making the newest "cartoon" features, which all or almost all have a cheap-looking quality about them, at least to my eyes.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Yep, it will spawn a whole new set of UFO hoaxes.

What is cool about this is that when VR is available to everyone, it will be much more realistic than it already is.
That I am looking forward to.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
It almost looks better than reality if that makes any sense

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I wish they had done it with hair on his head... that's been a huge problem... but otherwise, it's just processing power and detail.

Cool and just going to get better (unless something nasty happens, that is.... achoo!).

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

soon we won't be able to distinguish reality from graphics.

That's what they're after. Imagine what the government and corporate media can pull off with the newest audio-visual technologies. Not that they would ever do such a thing, mind you.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4
i think this is rather impressive. soon we won't be able to distinguish reality from graphics.

Soon we won't be able to distinguish a fake beheading from a real beheading.

Oh wait,..............

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
@ Aleister - agreed, the hardest thing is to convince the human eye that it is seeing another human rather than CGI

i find it odd that the ultimate goal of photorealism is to be indistinguishable from what is real. its ultimate aim is to be undetectable.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Put the head on an HEV suit, give him a crowbar, make him look like Walter White and Half Life 3 is confirmed.
edit on 1-10-2014 by Septimus because: added text

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

If that is all CGI and not a composite actor digitised then it is really good, NVIDIA projected this was going to become the norm about now about four years ago, but of course cue the end of the real actor's, take earlier attempts such as Tron Legacy reimagining of Jeff Bridges or avatar and you could see that they were pure CGI but this is so far more advanced that I am actually not certain and would think this was indeed an actor if asked.

I wonder if Three D printing technology will ever get up to a resolution that it could print that head out, the applications are almost mind blowing, but admittedly I just want that nine series array for a gaming rig.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

The person is real...with CGI APPLIED to the piece. ie: Real person w/ CGI effects.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I could still tell with the head that it was fake. The eyes, more particularly the spot between the upper and lower eyelid where they meet. It tells me it is fake. No wrinkles, and to perfect to be real.

Still pretty damn good, but it was one of the give a ways.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

oh drat i thought it was all graphics. sorry!

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Good to see you (if a post and a user name is 'you'). Remember the good old days, when Woody Allen's 'Zelig' and 'Forrest Gump' made people ooohh and ahhhh about computer technology and its ability to put people into historical scenes? My favorite CGI moment was when I was watching the Robin Williams 1999 film 'What Dreams May Come' in a totally dark theater and the scene of him walking within an impressionistic painting came on. That was the first time in my life my mouth involuntary dropped open.

edit on 1-10-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

Is that all CGI? Up until recently (or now) the hardest thing to fool with CGI was the human brain recognizing a human face. Before that it was hair, and before that, flowing water. So, computers can now trick the brain into thinking a face on screen is really human and not computer generated (and I guess I mean from scratch and not overlaying someone's face onto a computer template)? Better tell some of the companies making the newest "cartoon" features, which all or almost all have a cheap-looking quality about them, at least to my eyes.

You confuse CGI and AI

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Pretty cool. They are getting awfully close to climbing out of the uncanny valley.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
this is also very good, though of course hard surfaces are less of a challenge than skin, to the CGI artist. nonetheless, this is quality;

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

There goes acting careers! I'm sure Hollywood and Advertising firms would love to produce movies and commercials without paying for the high cost of actors. If this technology continues to advance, we may never know if were watching the real president or a CGI.

We'll never know what is real anymore so I guess it will only create more thoughts of conspiracies in the world.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Actually the BIG game will be replicating DEAD actors one day.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
3d Scanning helps that ALOT as opposed to actually BUILDING that.
edit on 1-10-2014 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join