It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Failing our veterans: We cannot leave US Marine Tahmooressi behind in Mexico

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Link to the House Foreign Affairs Committee’s Subcommittee
And to Fox News

Marine Sergeant Tahmooressi is a United State Marine. He is a non-commissioned officer. He is a machine gunner, an infantryman. He is a decorated combat veteran who deployed twice to Afghanistan, meeting the enemy in fierce combat. During that combat, amidst IED attacks and ambushes, Sergeant Tahmooressi literally saved the lives of fellow Marines. He was so good that he received a meritorious battlefield promotion to Sergeant, a prestigious honor in the Marine Corps.

The paradox before this committee, this Congress—and especially this White House—could not be more stark: this administration negotiated with the Taliban, and exchanged five terrorist killers with American blood on their hands, for the release of Army Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl—a soldier who deserted his unit on the front lines less than 2 months into his first tour of duty. Yet this administration has invested little-to-no effort negotiating the return, from a neighboring country, of a highly-decorated Marine with two combat tours? Sgt. Bergdahl cost American lives. Sgt. Tahmooressi saved them. Does this not matter? Will we not fight to bring him home?

It is time to bring our Marine home, and give him the care he has earned.

Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi has been imprisoned since April 1 2013 after being arrested on the Mexican side of the San Ysidro border crossing with weapons in his pickup truck. In a 911 call after being detained, he told the operator that he had mistakenly driven across the border. he clams he simply got into the wrong lane and right there at the border told the Mexican Agent he made a wrong turn and just wanted to turn around and go back to the US. he also mentioned to said officer he had three weapons in the car with him... a rifle, shotgun...both locked up in the truck and a CC pistol which he has all the proper licenses and permits for.

"OK, I'm at the border of Mexico right now," Tahmooressi told a 911 dispatcher at 11:30 p.m. March 31, according to a recording obtained by the San Diego Union-Tribune. "My problem is I crossed the border by accident and I have three guns in my truck and they are trying to possess ..they're trying to take my guns from me."

During the 102-second call, the dispatcher explained that there are signs warning that it is illegal to enter Mexico with guns. Tahmooressi responded by saying he tried to turn around and return to the United States, but was stopped before he could.

Malitary Times

Instead of letting this Young Marine go work things out with the US customs agents they instead arrested him for smuggling firearms into Mexico.

I watched his Mother testify just moments ago on C-span where she told a horrific story of her son being tied spread eagle to a post, beaten whipped and threatened with rape!

Anyway the outrage right now is all of this could have been settled months ago if only our President Obama would have picked up the phone, called the Mexican President and asked for the return of this young man.

Let me tell ya all too...On C-span just now... all the Foreign Affairs Committee members were in complete agreement, both Democrats and Republicans in saying Obama has never paid more than lip service when it comes to American Vet's. That he is either a coward--- or totally Indifferent to the plight of American Citizens being held and tortured in Foreign lands..

If you read through the comments made by the Committee one point of note is that there is a standing order that no service man or woman may visit Mexico... the reason why is simple...at the height of the war in Afghanistan, when things were really bad for us there... it was still nine times more dangerous to visit Mexico than fight in Afghanistan...
edit on 1-10-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
He shouldn't have crossed the border with guns. He broke their laws, and is paying the price. I don't feel bad when a mexican breaks our laws and go to prison, why should I feel bad for an american going to prison for breaking mexican laws?

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

So it was okay for Obama to release 5 key al qaeda leaders in exchange for another young Marine who was captured while AWOL... but not this kid who made a wrong turn, admitted to his mistake as well...

That could have easily been you or I who got into the wrong traffic lane... He made a simple mistake that's all.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

I have zero sympathy for this guy. You're telling me a decorated veteran got lost and accidentally crossed the border. How about the fact that he'd crossed the border several times before that.

www.nbcsandiego.com...

How about the fact that America has been intervening in south and central America for decades with arms sales, support of criminal elements, and regime changes to keep the drug war going?

m.huffpost.com...

If you actually pay attention to Mexican affairs in Mexico they've been battling drug lords armed with American weapons and backed by Americans secretly.

m.thenewamerican.com... artel-exposed-as-partners&utm_referrer=#2472

I say let him face Mexican justice. Mexico is a sovereign nation and he knowingly broke their laws. Just being a soldier does not make you a hero automatically nor should it give you immunity to the law (it doesn't in America only in foreign countries) It's time we stopped playing that card.

More importantly if you really cared about veterans you wouldnt be trying to advocate saving this one single guy who clearly got caught breaking Mexican laws. How about instead you spread awareness of the utter lack of support for law abiding veterans living in the US? They have extreme levels of unemployment and mental illness and can't even get decent health care from the VA.

www.nbclosangeles.com...

It's a shame this one guy has to suffer but I'd rather help one law abiding veteran get his life on track than coerce a sovereign nation into releasing an obvious criminal.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Time to go get the young man.

The Drug Lords walk right out of prison there.

He screwed up. He paid a price...

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I feel way more terrible for the the homeless veteran panhandling on my local highway offramp. He gets more help from random drivers than from our government which he fought for.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
If you are an american AT the mexico border, have you smuggled weapons INTO mexico? the answer is no.

They should've let him turn around - instead they decide to torture him.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

The difference is that the Taliban is not a government. They can deal with them any way they want. Mexico IS and has laws of due process.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: nrd101

Amen Brother...
If he was really trying to sneak guns into Mexico then why would he stop there at the border and tell the Guard he had guns in his truck...

it was an honest mistake... nothing more... and yet look what this has all turned into

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
These laws are to stop gun trafficking...this was so obviously not gun trafficking so what is the problem here?

in response to Tavi: Obvious Criminal? you sir are the criminal for not having a heart.

edit on 1-10-2014 by nrd101 because: added in response to tavi

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

True...
But the Obama admin have done nothing by way of talking to the Mexican authorities.

less than one hour ago on C-SPAN the House Foreign Affairs Committee’s Subcommittee Apologized to this guys mother, Apologized to Mexico for the mistake. then admonished the Obama administration for there lack of due diligence in this matter.

BTW Lieutenant Commander Montel Williams was Pissed during the hearing...

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I also watched the hearing and what struck me was the fact that only one dem member returned for the meeting. Monteil Williams mentioned that Vets were watching the hearing and would make note of those who cared enough to return.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn

You bet your fuzzy red 'A' we did.
True that we Vet's make up less that 1% of the nations population... but we have friends and families
and we all vote...

ETA... I liked at the end where Williams said he has a lot to say on the matter of how Vet's are treated by out Government ...
but he's promised to keep his thought and comments to himself until this new bill is put into effect... but he did promose in just 30 some days... he'll be voicing all those thought, loudly and to anyone who'll listen

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Yeah. And this happened to me at the US border in Maine in the mid 80's. They searched my car and found my brothers hash pipe. They took my car, even though I didn't even know that was there and I had to manage a way home and cost over $5000 to get my car back for NO reason. So, yeah. It happens. And they host gov't sets the rules.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Wasn't (at the time) living in your car in CA illegal, not to mention having guns in the car?

He knew he had guns in the car. He should have alerted someone prior to crossing into Mexico.

There are posted signs at the border crossing about firearms being illegal.

"Accident" or not ---- it was really stupid.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
US veterans should be protesting on the border calling for a boycott of Mexico by Americans.

Stopping all American tourist travel to Mexico would be a big massage to Mexico.

They should also call for a investigation into the road layout that traps people who take a wrong turn.

This is not the first case there was one in El Paso Texas a few years ago.
abcnews.go.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

why do Americans think that the laws of other countries don't apply to them ?

if you do the crime then be prepared to do the time .

i have many american friends that i have met during my time living and working all over europe
and they all say the same thing ( I AM AN AMERICAN I HAVE RIGHTS ) they don't realise that these rights are for when they are in america , when in other countries they should obey the laws of that country .

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Yeah. And this happened to me at the US border in Maine in the mid 80's. They searched my car and found my brothers hash pipe.

I have to go through 3 check points driving from AZ to CA.

I ALWAYS clean and check my car before leaving. Even though drugs have never been my thing.

One time I found a friends legal in CA, but empty, medicinal pot container. Could have been an issue.

Personal responsibility.

edit on 1-10-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Did the mom watch what she said happen?
I wouldn't put it past the mexican police to do something like that put doesn't mean that I would take her word as fact.
I still don't get how you just make a wrong turn into mexico, there are signs on the American side that tell you are about to enter, why was he not able to turn on around on American soil?

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

yeah... but did they hold you for 184+ days...and counting...
without due process or having your day in court?

setting aside the allegations that this young man is being tortured ... Shouldn't someone have done something to look into this matter long before now?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join