It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Probiotics for Gluten-Sensitivity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Here's hoping that my story may help others who are sensitive or intolerant to gluten.

A couple years ago, I was sick for 4 months. Every day. The doctor couldn't figure it out. I eventually started to lack nutrition and energy. He did a celiac test and it came back negative. I did some research and decided to try an elimination regimen. I cut out sugar, then lactose, then fat, then MSG, etc. No change... Then I cut out gluten. Two days later, I was revived! I did a few tests to make sure that was the problem and every time, I got sick and then recovered when I cut it back out. For the past two years, I have been avoiding gluten for the most part (some things are worth the suffering). I discovered I have a tolerance threshold, so I could have a little bit without getting sick, but when I exceeded that threshold, I would get sick.

Fast forward to about 2 months ago, I was doing some research on probiotics (totally unrelated to my intolerance) and discovered how sugar has really messed up our guts over the years (See Video here). More research on probiotics that could possibly help balance that bacteria ensued. Talking with those knowledgeable on the subject, I ran across what is considered the best probiotic on the marked, so naturally, I got some. It's called Prescript-Assist. I've been taking it since then. Accept no substitutes! It's expensive, but it's very highly rated.

Over the past month, I have eaten gluten many times (maybe 10 times) and never reached my threshold... What gives? I can have gluten now??? So, back to the research... And what I found has been pretty amazing.

Interesting article!

In a startling paper discussing treatment alternatives for celiac disease, research from George Washington University School of Medicine finds that probiotics provide a viable solution for gluten digestion and intestinal health – and likely their absence provides the smoking gun for the cause of gluten sensitivities.

Health Impact News

I just ate a WW tortilla wrapped around my morning omelet. Delicious! I can't believe I can eat gluten again! I imagine if I ate a lot, I may reach a threshold, but I have no intention of eating a bunch of carbs anyway, so I think I'm pretty safe.

Hope this helps someone!

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Huh, very interesting, I'll have to suggest this to my friend. I don't have problems with gluten myself but my best friend has suffered for years with all sorts of gut problems and intolerances, particularly gluten.
It'd take me a long time to explain her story but basically she gets very intense cramping (she compares the pain to giving birth) and daily vomiting, amongst other problems.
she suspects it's more than just a gut bacteria thing (not enough tests done, but that's the NHS for you) but I personally (from what I've seen of her and read about) suspect it's a mix of a few problems and this might really help with some of her intolerances.

I've tried suggesting a gut flora transplant to her, but (and for good reason if you know anything about it) she's not keen on that idea. I definitely think your story will persuade her to give this a go though

She'd love nothing more than tucking into a bacon sandwich without the regret the next day brings haha

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I got genetic testing and loaded the info to livewello. That is a great site. It takes a lot of research to untangle your problems and a part of that deals with eating the right foods and problems with making enzymes and probable solutions. If you don't open a thousand articles a month to research possible solutions, you are not going to figure out anything from this. Maybe someone who has an extensive background in genetics and understands epigenetics as related to diet can do this faster. I look for alternate paths for enzyme productions and lack of enzymes that cause a reduction of other enzymes. This means that inducers and inhibitor activities of foods have to be investigated to figure out possible solutions.

Now, I don't have the genes for gluten intolerance but do have some genes that aren't double copied that can cause celiac disease. But I still had some of the symptoms of gluten intolerance, so I designed my own bread recipe and I can eat that with little problem. I can also eat a sour dough limpu rye bread made locally and this is not raised with yeast, the sourdough process uses a type of bacteria that is safe for most people and tollerated well.

Sourdough bread could possibly give us a beneficial bacteria. My uncles and aunts used to make bread with a starter and were healthy other than some genetic heart disorders which are unrelated. When they quit making their own breads and started eating out they started to get health issues that may have been construed as gluten intolerance. But I doubt if they had that. Now, there are many things that can cause similar symptoms, such as the effects of wheat that can allow improperly digested proteins to pass through the intestines where they can get into the blood. Some foods share similar exitatory chemistry that open this pathway. The albumin in milk and the egg white are two of these. The tomato is another culprit as are some of the other nightingshade family members. Also bananas and a few more foods were included in this. I do not have a problem eating potatoes though, but the rest of the things I have mentioned do bother me. Now if you eat the whole egg overeasy, the yellow ties to the white in the gut and stops this from happening. It is possible that some things you can add to milk can bind the albunim also, like chocolate. Egg also can bind to any heavy metals and safely take them out of the body. Milk is an antidote to many types of troublesome things also. So I know they have good points.

Now the increased immune system response from opening these gates and the need to clean up the improperly developed proteins can lead to inflamation and contribute to many disease symptoms.

Avoiding wheat will lower this problem from happening as will lowering intake of milk. Remember though, these foods have some good properties too that need to be present. Milk is a beta blocker that regulates the adrenal gland and the chemistry of bread is a calming chemistry. Too much calm is not good though as is not enough. If you do cut back on these make sure you do not get anxiety disorder, adding other chemistry is necessary. Also remember, these two foods are both doping so you will be able to think better and people might wind up joining ATS to find out what is real.
edit on 1-10-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ozig1

I hope it helps your friend. It takes a few weeks for the probiotics to kick in and I highly recommend the brand I take, not just any store-bought brand. Let me know how it goes.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I've had lactose intolerance for over twenty years. Suffered from stomach aches and digestive problems every single day. Doctors didn't have any answers, except for taking lactaid pills, which didn't do much. If you've never suffered from digestive problems, count your lucky stars, it can be real bad.

After some research of my own, I discovered probiotics. What was missing in my digestive system was the right bacteria to make the enzymes my body needed to digest food properly. I started taking a probiotic (called VSL3). After a few weeks, I started noticing the difference. Now a year and a half later, all I can say is THANK GOODNESS for probiotics!! It's been like getting a new body.

The one I take is expensive, but worth it. Frankly, I would've paid more to stop the pain and discomfort. A side benefit is that I haven't caught a cold or flu since I started on the probiotic. Further research led me to some studies that show that the digestive system is 80% of the bodies immune system. I used to catch colds all the time (pretty much all winter). Now I am a new man indeed.

Yogurt and fermented vegetables also contain natural probiotics.

I also hope this helps some people out there with similar issues.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Chronon

I like kimche myself. A tiny bit goes a long way. I think gardinieria is good on sandwiches too, the better stuff at the Italian place tastes like it is fermented.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I have a thread in the food and cooking forum about making your own sauerkraut (delicious!!!) but when you heat it, it kills most of the probiotics, unfortunately. I've never tasted kimche.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Just to keep in mind gluten sensitivity is not same as celiac disease ( celiac is autoimmune disease) if you know someone who is celiac they should not in any circumstances eat gluten.

Sometimes celiac disease cannot be tested by blood alone, some people have false negative in blood tests( anti-tTG, IgA and anti-DGP, IgA) are due to total IgA deficiency.. then to confirm celiac there needs to be biopsy. Im not sure how they tests in US is it blood tests alone but here if there is a symptoms even the Iga is low they do biopsy. For example my kid who has celiac tested part of these blood tests were negative but in biopsy small intestine tufts were all gone. Even then he had no lack of iron and hemoglobin was 140 which is not even bad.

70% celiac sufferers are still hidden and only 30% of celiac sufferers are diagnosed. if you have any doubts if you have celiac or not.. take the biopsy to be sure.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

congrats on unraveling that mystery.

I thought Celiac was a gluten intolerance???

I don't take a high-end probiotic...but it has helped gut health for me and Emily.
If I got a bigger issue....I'd def. try the stuff you're using.

Sugar is poison, wheat is altered so many cannot digest it...the list goes on and on....
Read this if you haven't aleready
Salt Sugar Fat

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
I thought Celiac was a gluten intolerance???

From what I understand, with sensitivity, the intestinal lining is not damaged, just inflamed, but still causes symptoms. I found this:

Gluten sensitivity differs from celiac disease in that the body views gluten as an invader causing a direct response in the form of inflammation inside and outside of the digestive tract, and with this disorder one's own tissue (lining of small intestine) is not attacked, as we see with celiac disease. Once gluten is removed from the body, the inflammation goes away unlike the symptoms associated with celiac disease.

Source

I had a celiac test and it was negative. But the sensitivity did exist. But I had a hamburger bun yesterday and NO symptoms! I can't believe it! I've got to be careful not to eat a bunch of bread now! LOL

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I have celiac, and I have had a similar conversation with a friend lately. Replacing the good things that our bodies need can only help right? Having more than an intolerance, I don't dare touch gluten still, but it may be a way to help speed the healing of the damage. I have been drinking raw milk lately, and the jury is still out on whether its helping or not. My boys are thriving on it though. We have never gone through so much milk. I will look into the probiotic that you mentioned!

I'm glad this works for you! Thanks for sharing, I will pass this on! First hand experience is invaluable, granted not everyone is the same, but it gives us a starting point.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

A biopsy is common here too. I personally was lucky(?) enough to avoid that personally. My numbers were off the charts and I was already so nutrient deficient from the damage, we went immediately into damage control. There hasn't been a question on the diagnosis once. Gluten is a terrible poison to my body.
I had seen several other docs before my current one, and they all sent me on my way with repeated rounds of useless meds over the years. I had seen one lady just a few weeks prior to seeing my current doctor, and she argued with me about antibiotics. When my current doc took my hemoglobin levels, they were at a 4. I should have been in the hospital at that point. He's been bringing me back to human ever since. I feel better than I have most of my life. Our medical system here is really not that good. People are overly fast to write a useless prescription to get you out of their office in a timely manner.

Wow, sorry for that mini rant. I just didn't need to get so sick before someone figured it out. It makes me wonder how many others are suffering needlessly. Benevolent Heretic, I'm happy for you that these probiotics are working so well. Hopefully they can help others too!

top topics

join