It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Baby Rescuer Hits $27 Million Lottery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
One week ago, Devi Faris-Cifelli relied on donations to provide a burial service for babies who passed away without any means of a formal burial. When her phone rang, instead of hearing that another small casket needed be ordered, she heard "you have won 27 million dollars!" Faris-Cifelli helped win passage of the Safe Haven law and has made it her life's work to spread the word that scared and confused parents should drop their newborns at firehouses and hospitals rather than abandon them.

www.cnn.com
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- All too often, the ring of Debi Faris-Cifelli's cell phone means there is another abandoned newborn at the morgue, another forsaken child for her to name and bury in a shoebox-size coffin under a white cross in the California desert.

Last week, though, Faris-Cifelli -- who has had to rely on donations, grants and fund-raisers to give babies a decent burial -- got a very different call.

She had won the California lottery.

The jackpot: $27 million.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Here's another feel good story. Call me "Dr. Feelgood", as I try to find the stories that make us feel good about ourselves, and others. In this wondeful country of more than 300 million, I read a miniscule fraction of those who do not deserve to breathe the same air as you and I. Yet I am also aware of the VAST majority who go to their jobs, pay their bills while giving up the little gifts we all like to but ouselves - be it a CD, a fishing pole, a new toy just for us, yet never get one moments recognition.

This woman dedicated her life to deal with tragedy of a sort I'm not sure I could handle, frankly.

Good things really do happen to good people.

[edit on 7-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I'll tell you from experience, as a nurse and a funeral director, that what this woman does is the most emotionally exhausting thing ever.

she deserves what she got.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 02:23 AM
link   
What a great story. Imagine if fate, or a 'higher authority' rewarded those who carried out only good deeds?. What a wonderful world we would live in.

This lady deserves good fortune!

[edit on 20/10/2004 by BillyTheCat]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Oh yes. She defintely deserved it. I don't think I could do what she does. The very thought of it makes me cringe. She is an amazing woman.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 04:02 AM
link   
At the risk of seeming tasteless, I am not sure how showing respect for dead babies makes Debi Faris-Cifelli a "baby rescuer", but the way we treat our dead is one of the fundamental things that defines us as human beings.

That she has to do what she does at all is both heartbreaking and telling. It is grim work, and painful to read about, let alone actually undertake as a duty.

As time passes, I am becoming more and more convinced that there are no coincidences, and this story reinforces my thinking in that regard. There does seem to be a message here -- to me, anyway.

Though her work is terrible to read about, the fact that such a fine human being as Debi Faris-Cifelli has come into this kind of wealth leaves me feeling good inside.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 05:02 AM
link   
YAY!

I love it when you can watch miracles!

God has blessed this woman, and may God continue to. Just imagine the good she will be able to do now!

top topics

join