It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great Vape Thread

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I just wanted to add my thoughts on that video of the congressman or what not in his hearing investigation -

it was obvious from the beginning they are accusing them of using advertising directed at kids like they've already
been convicted! I seriously can't remember seeing an advertisement for vape let alone one aimed at children, the whole premise of the hearing was propaganda aimed to slander the industry. how petty.

It is obvious how the FDA wants to regulate vaping, by squeezing the life out of small time vendors in exchange for big tobacco. Because only the big tobacco companies will be able to afford the new regulations, where you must have everything laboratory tested and pay 150,000 to FDA to become a legal "vape" company. This is one area where government needs to mind its own business, nothing is wrong with the current system!! NO one is selling vapes to children - get real, all the regulations will do is hurt everyday people(small locally owned vape stores) and vapers and work to further big business interests.

edit on 1-10-2014 by nrd101 because: added (small locally owned vape stores)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: nrd101

I couldn't agree more with you on that thought. I think they are absolutely doing it to hurt those in the business and help big tobacco in the process. It's stunning to think they would rather folks keep smoking and die than take part on a much healthier alternative. They are fear mongering to the masses, and that does affect those that are looking into vaping as an alternative to smoking.

Those of us who have been doing it for a while pay no mind to it as we can feel how much healthier we are, but the new folks?? You can't really blame them for being nervous after they read all the propaganda being out out.

The people behind this blitz should be more than ashamed IMO. they may very well have blood on their hands if they get what they are asking for.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I am just worried as I'm sure a lot of people are, that the new regulations will mean an
end to the freedom of choice we have. They were saying things like new devices will have
to be tested and certified with the FDA, no more China clones, things like that. Which really irks me since
all it is - is a battery system - your basic tube with battery and actuator. Costs all of $10 but these regulations could
easily tack on 100 dollars on top of that, if they do what they said they're going to do, and we don't even have a choice!
We are a democracy, but all these new vape regulations are just going directly into place by order of FDA with no input or vote of the American people OR they're elected representatives.

you see, this really IS an actual conspiracy on so many levels literally threatening to end the businesses of thousands of successful private individuals and families - through orwellian backdoor legislation

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: nrd101

Again, I can only agree. I have been stocking up in batteries, coil heads, and tanks for a while now just in case something goes down and I can't get them.

I really think this will probably be like the whole brass knuckles are a paper weight thing when it comes to the equipment. People will find a way to see it under a new name/usage.

As far as the ejuice goes?? I share your fear like many others do. I sincerely hope that we don't wake up one day and it's all gone. That would be a travesty on so many levels.

And yeah.. I do think this is a multi faceted conspiracy. No mom and pop shop will be able to afford what they are asking. The only ones that will be able to afford it is big tobacco. Do we really want to trust them with our health like so many did years ago? I think they have shown that they do not care for anything but the bottom line.

Vaping has a huge following and hopefully with the regular folks and CASAA, we can stave off the regulations and the ensuing shut downs. I'm keeping my fingers crossed at any rate.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Here is a link - seems kind of old about 4 months for the Whitehouse removes E-Cig regulations from proposal
Whitehouse Deletes E-Cig Regulations

And also this article from The American which I found very encompassing and illuminating
A Flawed E-Cig Regulation

Here is an excerpt from the article on The American, A Flawed E-Cigarette Regulation

The proposed regulation’s fatal flaw, though, involves the requirement that “new” e-cigarette products file premarket applications with the agency. Because products introduced since February 2007 are considered to be new, the requirement would apply to virtually all of the products now on the market, as well as future products. The FDA’s own analysis makes clear that the administrative burdens of this requirement would have devastating effects on the e-cigarette market.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I'm curious after reading the latest posts on this thread, do any of you vapers have kids? If so, do you vape in front of them? My kid used to see me go outside to smoke cigarettes, and I hated it. It's one of the biggest reasons I wanted to quit. Vaping allows me to be a little... more discreet. I've thought about not being sneaky, and if she sees me going out to do it, well she just does. I figure I would say to her something along the lines of "this is a machine for adults that is helping mom stop the nasty cigarettes". Mine is purple with a shiny silver tank though, and I wouldn't want her to be drawn to it or anything.

Just curious what your thoughts or attitudes are about vaping around children. Hopefully no trolls jump down my throat. I'm not talking about legislative bs or anything, just personal thoughts.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: MojaveBurning

I quit smoking when my daughter was 15 so she was very happy with the change over and old enough to understand what was going on. I smoked cigarettes in front of her and I vape in front of her now and I can tell you which one she prefers. It's the one that doesn't involve any smoke sticking to her clothes in any way.

I think we try to hide a lot from our kids and I think our kids need to know that sometimes we make bad mistakes too. Like choosing to start smoking. That was a bad choice and one we regret. Hiding it from them may help avoid awkward questions but also ruins a chance for a learning experience IMO.

Of course, all kids are different, and younger ones may not need to know everything. But I don't think there's anything wrong with telling them that you kind of screwed up and you are trying to fix it.

Sometimes it's comforting to know that our parents aren't as infallible as we are normally led to believe.

Your equipment being different colors shouldn't be any different than things in the house that are "pretty" but shouldn't be touched. Even pretty things can hurt you. I think they accept things much easier than we give them credit for. My daughter was a it more curious because she only knew cigarettes for many years. After I explained how it worked and why I was using it, she's a lot less impressed. She knows it's hands off.

As usual, I am sure there will be some that disagree with my thought processes, so this is my opinion only. Every kid is different and should be taught accordingly. But I do think a lot of parents go out of their way to make their kids think they've never nor will ever make a mistake. That's an impossible and unfair standard to set for them IMO. They don't need to know every secret you have of course...
edit on 10/1/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I just started Vaping a couple weeks ago, but I'm still mostly smoking because I'm trying to find flavors I like. Can someone please explain 'Throat hit' and PG/VG to me? What is a 'mod'? Why would you want one? What are advantages/disadvantages of different batteries, tanks etc? I see these all the time and really haven't found an explanation that doesn't include a ton of acronyms (which I also don't know) and 'Oh look at me I'm cooler than you I speak Vape speak and you don't' attitudes lol.

I'm totally clueless here and probably spending way more money than I need to figuring it out on my own. I got a Halo for the Battery, tank etc. cause they fit my hand well and are really easy to use.

I did notice the first few times I inhaled I about coughed up a lung. Now I do the cigar thing and inhale slowly after I draw it into my mouth and that seems to work. I am having to get 18-24mg nic for now. OMG I went 2 days without a ciggy on 12mg and I almost tore the drywall off the walls and was burning everyone in the house with a look Doh!

The 18mg is... ok. The 24mg so far is good but I really need to find some good flavors and stick with them. I found a place that sells small (5ml each, 7 bottles any flavor, nic level, PG/VG etc for each bottle.) sample packs and that's great, but most places you have to buy at least 10ml and I don't want that much yet till I find 3 or 4 flavors I like ya know?

Any suggestions and such would be great thanks in advance

Lil

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
a reply to: Shana91aus

I started my smoking cessation by getting the most powerful OTC patches along with the Blu e-cigs (Cherry). I'm off the patches now and a e-cig will last me days. I even puff on them after they have given up the ghost. (Habit I guess and it keeps my hands busy)

Cherry sounds so good! It certainly helps the quitting process having something to keep your hands busy, which is another reason why i think vaping is so successfull.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Wow i didn't know that, could you possibly let me know where you got yours or what type because just looking it up on google i end up getting really confused by it all and give up! Yes the kick to the back of the throat is what im looking for in vaping, glad you understand
shisha pens are basically the same as Ecigs i think but the ones i have are disposable, from what i have read they have a liquid cartridge thing and some contain nicotine some don't , i do like shisha though the pens are just a vaporizing version.

Im thinking i might skip the patches this time because its not like i have successfully stayed smoke free with that method in the past, and i accidentally fell asleep with one on the last time i had one on and had the strangest vivid dreams EVER so it put me off them! I smoke 8mg cigarettes about 15 a day sometimes more but i think i would do better on the lower dose i am easilly nauseated! But then i don't want it to be too low and fail! I am feeling positive though! Yep i am trully over it its such a disgusting habit and its such a waste of money $22.50 for a packet of 25 cigarettes here where i live its pathetic! thanks so much for the info your awesome!

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

How old is your daughter? I think being open with them about it is the best way to go, my daughter just turned 7 today and even though she is still young she always tells me i shouldn't smoke, yet another reason why i need to quit it makes me feel so guilty and i feel like a bit of a bad mum when she says that, but she is also very aware how bad smoking is and says she will never smoke, i know she is only young but i hope that it does prevent her from trying it out with her friends some day and becoming addicted. i think just take it as an opportunity to educate her on it and smoking and why your vaping, its best for kids to learn it from us before they hear about it later on at school or something and think that its all cool and stuff, plus being open and honest with them shows them that they can be open & honest about things in return, i have 3 small children and can't do anything alone anymore, so appreciate that you have a chance to be sneaky though haha!

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I had an Eco vape for awhile that I had just bought from a vape shop in town. It was my first one and I now see that I got ripped off horribly! And now I know that it was really not that nice of one. So while I was camping a month or so ago I had dropped it on a hike and it was lost for good

So I decided this time Id do some research and see about online options. Im usually really impatient when having to order something, but decided to give it a go once I saw how much I could save by ordering it.

The first one I got from the shop was about 120+ the battery, tank, 2 flavors, charger. This time I found the company Halo after reading tones of great reviews I ordered one last weekend got a starter kit with 2 batteries, 2 tanks, and flavor, charger, and a case. All for UNDER $100! Im really excited for it to show up

Since I lost my other one Im back to smoking again and I absolutely hate it everything smells now! before I started vaping I didnt notice it as much (obviously I knew they did smell) But now Im almost put off by it...but I still love that nicotin haha. I should be getting my new one in the next couple days Ill come back and let you all how they are.
Best part is that this comp is all american made
even their liquids are made here and they are supposed to be pretty tasty.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lilroanie

Any suggestions and such would be great thanks in advance

Lil

I am no professional but will try to do the best I can to answer your questions... So please bear with me.

Throat hit is that feeling you get in the back of your throat when you hit a string cigarette or hot box a weaker cigarette.

The ratios for the juices do lots of things.

Larger PG ratios will give you more of a sharp/strong throat hit. They are thinner and will not clog up your tanks/coil heads as much as a juice with more VG does.

Larger VG ratios will give you tons more vapor. When you exhale you will see much more of a "cloud" than you would with PG. It usually carries more flavor and sweetens the liquid. It's throat hit is generally milder and smoother.

Thats why most people use a mixture of both. Most places you can order from allow you to pick the mixture you are wanting. My choice is usually 90 PG/10 VG. But I will take a 70 PG/30 VG if that is the only thing the company carries or what they advertise as being the best mix for their flavors.

A mod is the exact same thing you have in your halo battery, except you can push more amps and wattage thereby changing the entire flavor of your juice. They are usually bulkier, and you can buy batteries that last for days and days. I have never purchased one and do not think I ever will. My set up works great for under half the cost. There is much more maintenance that goes into having a mod as well and a lot of folks either really love it or really hate it.

After you've been vaping for a long while, you may find you want to try one (because some of them are spectacular to look at) and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't recommend anyone starting out with one though because you may well get discouraged enough to not bother anymore.

I also understand what you mean by some folks in the vaping community. A lot of them are snobs and it doesn't take long to realize that. After a few years of doing it, they tend to forget how insane it is to make a decision these days about anything when you are new. I spent a ton of money that I didn't have to because everyone always thinks the new thing is the end all be all of awesomeness. I don't do that anymore.

I know of one company that sells 1ml bottles right off the top of my head... www.zeusejuice.com...

I have ordered from them some grape candy flavor and while it was good, it did not have enough flavor for me.

I am sure there are others, but I will dig around a bit and see if I can find some for you. It definitely sucks to spend a lot of money and hate every juice out of the order. The key to quitting is finding what is called your "All Day Vape". That's the vape that you will smoke 99.9999% of the time and it took me about 6 months to find one myself.

Like I said, I will look around for you and post again if I find anything of interest. If I can answer anything else, please just ask. I will do my best.

originally posted by: Shana91aus

Wow i didn't know that, could you possibly let me know where you got yours or what type because just looking it up on google i end up getting really confused by it all and give up! Yes the kick to the back of the throat is what im looking for in vaping, glad you understand
shisha pens are basically the same as Ecigs i think but the ones i have are disposable, from what i have read they have a liquid cartridge thing and some contain nicotine some don't , i do like shisha though the pens are just a vaporizing version.

Im thinking i might skip the patches this time because its not like i have successfully stayed smoke free with that method in the past, and i accidentally fell asleep with one on the last time i had one on and had the strangest vivid dreams EVER so it put me off them! I smoke 8mg cigarettes about 15 a day sometimes more but i think i would do better on the lower dose i am easilly nauseated! But then i don't want it to be too low and fail! I am feeling positive though! Yep i am trully over it its such a disgusting habit and its such a waste of money $22.50 for a packet of 25 cigarettes here where i live its pathetic! thanks so much for the info your awesome!

Holy crap at the high prices batman!! Wow. I thought it was bad here.

For a stronger throat hit it is just as much about the equipment than it is about the juice, but it does take both to work well.

I use fairly inexpensive equipment. But started off with pretty cheap stuff so I was just as disappointed as you. I feel your pain.

I use a variable voltage battery. You can find these through doing a google search as I don't want to seem like I am advertising for anyone. I prefer the Innokin itaste VV express kit (googling that will get you results to stores that carry them so you can compare prices if you're interested), and the Innokin clk 1280 express kit. Both of these will allow you to adjust your setting on watts and amps which will in turn change your entire vaping experiences.

Some juices taste better with low wattage and amps. Some juices can really dazzle you when those are turned up to burn hotter.

Your choice of juice will also matter. Some juices will not have a throat hit worth 2 cents regardless of how much power you put to them. They just won't. Picking a juice with a higher PG content will help the throat hit a lot.

The best fruity flavor, with the best throat hit I have ever had is here... www.apolloecigs.com...

This has been my go to liquid for a solid year. Nothing else I have tried has compared to this. It tastes exactly like grape jolly ranchers and hits like a horse kicking you in the back of the throat.

The only thing that has knocked this off it's perch was the juice I mentioned in the OP. You could probably go with 6 mcg on your nicotine as you get nauseated often from the 8 mcg you smoke. The next highest would probably be 12 on most vendors. It's important to not go overboard because that does increase your failure risk. You can always take an extra hot if you need it, but you can't take out the nicotine after you've ordered it.

I hope that helps somewhat. I'm just a vaper myself and can only attest to what has worked for me and share what I have learned. Ask as many questions as you want and I will try my best to get back to you about it. I'm really hoping more folks will come in and offer their advice on occasion and what worked for them.

You can do it. You just have to believe in yourself and go for it!

a reply to: Stuprimori

I'm excited for you! I do hope you share your experience when you get your new equipment. Waiting for vape mail is tedious at best. I'm always like a kid at Christmas when I have new stuff coming in. I also try to stick to all USA products and I WILL absolutely NOT buy ejuice from anywhere but USA. We do have some standards where they do not. When I first started I tried some of them and foul doesn't even begin to cover it. Seriously.

Stroll on back when you get your new setup going. It's always nice to hear a review personally than just be told it's good...but it now.

Stick with it mate! You can kick it!

edit on 10/3/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I did something similar and told my son(7 years old) I wasn't smoking anymore, but I was doing something that wasn't as bad for me. He seemed to get it. I, too, hated my son seeing me smoke a real cigarette and really freaked, when he said he liked the smell of them AHHHHH! I have been vaping, mostly now for about 2 months and already feel better...I will admit, I do cheat sometimes and have a real smoke, as my wife has not been converted yet and they are still available around the house. As far as flavors go, I enjoy the tobacco flavored juices, but have recently tried one called "syncafe" that tastes like a good cup of coffee. I should try the fruity ones, maybe to help curb the urge for real tobacco possibly as one other poster stated.

Good luck with the continued vaping!

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
What's the one thing on every ATS vaper's mind right now?

Ebowla

Sorry I couldn't help myself. That will be all.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Thought you all would want to see this very cool e-pipe.
I have one on the way and some more cool flavors.It should make a nice replacement for my worn out V2 s.

www.epuffstore.com...
edit on 5-10-2014 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I'd like to try vaping, but leery of the nicotine in it...I know there's non=nicontine vape juice out there so some reccomendations for vapers/vape juice?

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TheToastmanCometh

Yes do not start anything with nicotine if you do not smoke already.
That being said , I would try a PG, VG, MIX* (70PG/30VG) with 0% nicotine and black cherry seems to be popular although I have not tried it yet , and they have a lot to choose from.
The e-pipe would be a good starting kit I think. (It is about 55$ and comes complete)
highbrowvapor.com...
I have ordered here and they have great customer service and free priority shipping.
edit on 5-10-2014 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheToastmanCometh
I'd like to try vaping, but leery of the nicotine in it...I know there's non=nicontine vape juice out there so some reccomendations for vapers/vape juice?

Bluemoon above gave good advice on both counts. I would initially not recommend anyone to vape that was not doing it to wean themselves off of cigarettes. I would ask that you think about inhaling anything into your lungs.... seriously. Most folks wouldn't even vape if it were not a healthier option than traditional cigarettes. I know I would not have. The lungs are not made for things like that and you should count yourself lucky that you have not damaged them with cigarettes already.

That being said... (And I know you already know that, I just felt the need to say it again) Bluemoon's link is a good one for juice. I just recently found Highbrow Vapor and have made 3 orders in 2 weeks because I was amazed at their products.

DO NOT get any juice with nicotine in it. Highbrow does over a 0mcg nicotine option for all of their liquids. Select that, as it is highly addictive and not something you want to start if you don't have to.

As for equipment to start? I would probably go with a cheap ego set up. You can google ego starter kits and compare prices that way. They are pretty cheap and will work well for what you are wanting to do.

a reply to: bluemooone2

Have you tried one of the epipes?? I always wondered if they hit like a regular ecig? They have ecigars too!

And that guy in the video actually has some pretty good reviews. I subscribe to him as he usually has a review about most of the new stuff coming out, sometimes before it even hits the shelves. It's always nice to see how something works before you have to lay out the money for it.

edit on 10/5/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
So I have been considering going this route for a solid year. I'm sure some have you have tried different units and the......whatever you would call the liquid. Any suggestions? I don't want to go the route most do and the whole trial and error. I.e. I know there are disposable units....but I'm sure there are some down falls with them. Am I better got to a smoke shop or just the local convenience store?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join