It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Gmail been compromised again?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Following the recent Gmail problem, I changed my password as recommended, but this morning I cannot log in.

In its place I am treated to an endless series of (forgot the name for it) "type in the letters you see above", but I still cannot log in.

Suggestions or comments appreciated. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I have 2 Gmail accounts and never received any notification about any issues that needed addressing .So I cant help you in that respect but wanted to mark this thread and see what others might have to say ....peace a reply to: aboutface

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I'll be curious about what you find out, because I have seen the same issue on another board.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

I have been signing in and out of gmail all morning (since about 5ish am, est). I am in western NY and have had no problems as of yet. However, it IS gmail... so that could change at a moments notice.

Hope your issues clear up soon.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

It would seem you have some kind of redirect trojan. You will notice that the website ,where you have to enter the letters and numbers is not the normal google one, look in the address bar, There are some extra letters. Nothing really to worry about. I have noticed it on 2 computers one at work, one my wives.
All you need to do is download and run spybot search and destroy and it should resolve the issue.

Here is a free download

spybot-search-destroy.en.softonic.com...

Hope this resolves your issue. If it doesnt there are a few other things you can try. Let me know

Regards

edit on 1-10-2014 by maythetruthbeknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Here is one way to check if your Gmail is compromised.
IsLeaked?
I used this a few weeks back when there was the big Gmail hack and sure enough, mine was compromised.

Just enter your email address and if it's been leaked it will show you the first two letters of your password, if not then it will say so, but you should still change your password just to be safe.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: maythetruthbeknown

Did as you recommended, complete scan too, nothing found.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

It says my account has not been compromised.

I opened another account, did a Google troubleshoot to reset the password. I then tried to access it again, but still no luck.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Well so far I've learned nothing about why I cannot log into my account even after a password reset. Has the poster on the other board resolved the issue?

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Thanks for the idea of opening a second account. I've done that, and I hope that one will work.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Hard to believe that there was nothing found when you did your scan .Mine always has a few items to correct . Try updating your spybot and rerun a scan .. a reply to: aboutface

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

No issues on my end either...of course I try to not use GMAIL or HOTMAIL because of all the hacks over the years. On your end? Perhaps you picked up some maleware? Run the free version of Malewarebytes

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1
I've done two full scans in the last couple of days. I have lots of security running and not one has picked anything up.

edit on 1-10-2014 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Gmail actually has good security.

I recommend that everyone go to their gmail page, click on your little avatar and click "account."

You want to turn on 2-step verification. Any time your account is accessed from a new device it will send a text to your phone and will not let the person log in unless they put in the code in that text.

In this day and age this is necessary and quite honestly any service that doesn't offer this should not be used.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Djarums

Could it be that the problem lies within the Google -YT interface? I first went into Google, then without signing out went into YT and afterwards signed out there. A while later I tried to access my mail account and could not... still can't.

edit on 1-10-2014 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
They way YT works with my Gmail is this ...If I sign into one account (Gmail) and go to YT I am already signed in and all my subscriptions for that account will show up .If I then sing out of that account and sign into the other ,my YT changes automatically and my subscriptions associated with the Gmail account . If I am not signed into Gmail my YT will be a random one with no subscriptions associated with it . a reply to: aboutface

top topics

join