It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa Detects an X 100,000 flare with Swift

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Nasa has detect s super stellar flare in a nearby binary star system.

The "superflare" came from one of the stars in a close binary system known as DG Canum Venaticorum, or DG CVn for short, located about 60 light-years away. Both stars are dim red dwarfs with masses and sizes about one-third of our sun's. They orbit each other at about three times Earth's average distance from the sun, which is too close for Swift to determine which star erupted.

On April 23, NASA's Swift satellite detected the strongest, hottest, and longest-lasting sequence of stellar flares ever seen from a nearby red dwarf star. The initial blast from this record-setting series of explosions was as much as 10,000 times more powerful than the largest solar flare ever recorded.
"We used to think major flaring episodes from red dwarfs lasted no more than a day, but Swift detected at least seven powerful eruptions over a period of about two weeks," said Stephen Drake, an astrophysicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, who gave a presentation on the "superflare" at the August meeting of the American Astronomical Society’s High Energy Astrophysics Division. "This was a very complex event."
At its peak, the flare reached temperatures of 360 million degrees Fahrenheit (200 million Celsius), more than 12 times hotter than the center of the sun.

The largest solar explosions are classified as extraordinary, or X class, solar flares based on their X-ray emission. "The biggest flare we've ever seen from the sun occurred in November 2003 and is rated as X 45," explained Drake. "The flare on DG CVn, if viewed from a planet the same distance as Earth is from the sun, would have been roughly 10,000 times greater than this, with a rating of about X 100,000."

www.nasa.gov...-_VboB8s

Sounds intense. Like they said in the video I wouldn't want to be on a plant orbiting one of those stars. Also not exactly related but her is a CG rendering of the earth's magnetic field and plasma destiny of a Carrington class CME,

edit on 1-10-2014 by BGTM90 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I wonder what would happen to earth if our sun let one of these go. Someday we maybe gambling with earth as greater Solar Flares threaten humanity, but like a billion years from now when we have it all figured out. heheh

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: nrd101

If the flair was powerful enough and engulfed or Earth i imagine we would all end up crispy or dead due to the radiation.
edit on 1-10-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: nrd101

Well, in the first video, they point out that the star from which this vast flare came, was in fact a star that is quite a bit younger than our star, and that younger stars flare with greater frequency and magnitude than older ones, perhaps related to the fact that they spin very fast when compared with older stars.

Our Sun is not in the same tumultuous period of its lifespan, it has moved past that point. That is not to say that the Sun is not capable of producing damaging flares. As we know from the Carrington Event, our Sun can put out flares which can damage communications and power networks, and create insanely southerly aurora activity at the poles.

However, the largest flare we know of, that has issued from our star is little more than a drop in the ocean compared with this event discussed in the OP. Think of it this way. Our Sun shoots bullets. The star from which this vast flare came however, plays with nukes.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Snf sir! Is that any record from Nasa this gigantic flare influence nearby planet or other sun??
I wonder what happen to nearby planet..

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Awesome stuff… star sex. They are exchanging fluids during a fling or affair… a flare.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: BGTM90

So if the Carrington Event destroys the telegraph wires and would destroy the modern grid system, what would a flare this size do to us?

The mind boggles......

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Any solar flare of that magnitude would fry our planet like an egg. However as TrueBrit pointed out our own star is somewhat older and hence entered into a more stable period. Which is not to say it could not happen to us just that there is less probability given the current cycle of our Sun.
edit on 1-10-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

the flare reached temperatures of 360 million degrees Fahrenheit

Wow, That would cause blistering.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: cheesy
Snf sir! Is that any record from Nasa this gigantic flare influence nearby planet or other sun??
I wonder what happen to nearby planet..

I think we could safely say if it's close enough it's now Toast.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

IDK about this size, But Dr. Robert Schoch a geophysicist has some interesting idea's about large solar outburst effecting the earth in the past. Here's a link to the page on his website about solar events.

www.robertschoch.com...

I do agree with andy06 our planet would probably be destroyed maybe even reach sterilization temps.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
It would be crazy if someone here was able to give birth to a new planet like ours.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Also not exactly related but her is a CG rendering of the earth's magnetic field and plasma destiny of a Carrington class CME,
You are confusing a solar flare with a CME.
A flare is a burst of electromagnetic radiation(x-rays, uv, visible light, radio). A CME is a burst of matter(plasma). Though they are often (not always) associated with each other each has very different effects. Apparently there is no way of knowing if there were any CMEs associated with these events. All that was detected were the flashes.

In any case, a flare of such intensity from the Sun could be, um, problematic for life on Earth.

edit on 10/2/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

how problematic phage? as in loss of all comms? power grids or like below?

just interested ?

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum_Squirrel
Satellites would be cooked, pretty much all of them. The upper atmosphere would become heavily ionized, radio communications would become a problem. Sure.

But levels of UV, x-ray, (and probably gamma) radiation at those levels would penetrate the atmosphere at highly unpleasant (deadly) levels.

(That movie was stupid, btw. I watched it one rainy Saturday.)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

lol yes it was slightly silly i just used the clip to illustrate the extremes and wondered where you sat between them , ty for the reply

Q

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Also not exactly related but her is a CG rendering of the earth's magnetic field and plasma destiny of a Carrington class CME,
You are confusing a solar flare with a CME.
A flare is a burst of electromagnetic radiation(x-rays, uv, visible light, radio). A CME is a burst of matter(plasma). Though they are often (not always) associated with each other each has very different effects. Apparently there is no way of knowing if there were any CMEs associated with these events. All that was detected were the flashes.

In any case, a flare of such intensity from the Sun could be, um, problematic for life on Earth.

I'm not confusing anything I know the difference between a flare and a CME. I labeled each when I was talking about them and thats why I said I know the second video is not directly related. I just thought it was a cool video and I would add it in.

EDIT

Oh I see. I think you confused my OP with my second post. Yes I should have stated in my second post that I was referring to a CME. Sorry for the mistake.
edit on 2-10-2014 by BGTM90 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join