It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
The US military is working on having robotic fighter jets in the air soon. The plan is to have armed Drone type vehicles in the skies taking on the enemy. Some of the benefits are: no fuel needed, there's no need to have a base nearby, no loss of human life, & cost effective. Here's the article:

The DBM software could help meet the needs of the Navy's planned new drone warplane. Last summer the sailing branch began landing and launching a pair of Northrop Grumman X-47B test drones aboard aircraft carriers off the East Coast.

The X-47B is supposed to lead to a combat-capable drone known as the Unmanned Carrier-Launched Aerial Surveillance and Strike system, or UCLASS. The Navy wants stealthy, armed, jet-powered UCLASS drones on its 11 flattops by the 2020s.

Originally conceived of as a modest robotic recon plane able to carry some small weapons like the Air Force's propeller-driven Predator and Reaper drones, UCLASS could evolve into a powerful and heavily-armed fighter as big as a 40-ton F-14 Tomcat — the Navy's classic Cold War jet.

Yeah, no one saw this coming! However, I wanna know what ATS thinks?

theweek.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

id imagine as a solider/pilot ...it would kill morale to have a victory and find out it was only over drones.. it would almost seem unfair to have a company lose 20 men and find out you only killed some robots..

this weapon would destroy the enemy morale in my opinion

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Good thread lostbook. Drones still need fuel but have a number of advantages. No pilot risked in combat. Can exceed G limits a human pilot couldn't take. Smaller with less weight as there is no pilot and cockpit. Greater endurance as no pilot in the aircraft.
I think this will be the future. Why bother with a fighter pilot in the plane when you can have one on the ground via remote control. Cheaper drones could be reasonably expendable unlike a jet with a pilot.

However having said all that conflict between nuclear powers is highly unlikely I think, they just eyeball each other because the risk of full scale war is insane.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
The US military is working on having robotic fighter jets in the air soon. The plan is to have armed Drone type vehicles in the skies taking on the enemy. Some of the benefits are: no fuel needed, there's no need to have a base nearby, no loss of human life, & cost effective.

"Cost effective"? That's almost humorous.

"No nearby base required"? And that's a good thing?

"No fuel needed"? Eh?

"No loss of human life"? Not the pilot, anyway.

See 'Terminator'.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Psynic

The US military is working on having robotic fighter jets in the air soon. The plan is to have armed Drone type vehicles in the skies taking on the enemy. Some of the benefits are: no fuel needed, there's no need to have a base nearby, no loss of human life, & cost effective.

"No fuel needed"? Eh?
See 'Terminator'.

No loss of human life "on the side of the US", but I see what you are saying. However, the other points remain valid.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

"No fuel needed"? Eh?
See 'Terminator'.

No loss of human life "on the side of the US", but I see what you are saying. However, the other points remain valid.

No, I don't think you do see.

If there's no pilot to die than the enemy will choose someone else to kill.

NONE of the "other points" are valid.

No need for fuel or nearby bases? That's just absurd.

And how you can consider a multi billion dollar project "cost effective" for a country that can't afford to look after it's own citizens is beyond me.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Watch out is right. China will be all up in that stealing everything they can on it. China figure it out on their own? Not on their life...

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

And how you can consider a multi billion dollar project "cost effective" for a country that can't afford to look after it's own citizens is beyond me.

If I had a million dollars I would freely hand it over to you simply for this statement alone.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
While it may be good to have drones for combat using them against China might not be a good idea considering China makes most of the electronics the US uses. I would guess there would be a lot of circuit boards and electronic components on the drones that are made in China. If something breaks down on the drones they won't be able to repair them if they can't get anymore reliable Chinese parts. Maybe before building them they might want to bring back some of the manufacturing plants they moved to China so we can defend ourselves.

top topics

join