It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher Destroyed Again And Again By Reza Aslan

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: charles1952

You have little knowledge of religion or Islam.

Most devout religious people in any religion would be classified as extreme.

The Hindu visiting the white house now is fasting to some Hindu god while Obama drinks wine and eats pheasant.

The history of Christianity, before the secular revolution in Europe, is littered with extreme violence.

Even today you still have pockets of extreme Christians in America who want to bring back God in the government.

Look at the devout Jews in Israel. They are almost the exact same as devout Muslims in terms of their Shariah (RELIGIOUS LAW)

Where the most Muslims are in Indonesia, Malaysia and Turkey (where westerners love to go on honeymoons) has little if any Muslim violence.

For a group who hasn't had a secular revolution Islam isn't really that bad though does have problems in mainly Arab countries or where colonialism was most pronounced.

The problem is that Maher is a person who hates all religion.

So you are basically saying two wrongs make a right?

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Saudi Arabia is the most serious and dedicated nation of the Muslim religion in all of it's aspects.

No it isn't...
Saudi Arabia is a Wahhabist state...
Which follows the teachings of Al Wahhab, not the Prophet Muhammad...
They're as far from Islam as can be!

Wahhabism in action. Saudi religious police chasing woman for showing her toes with nail polish.

edit on 1-10-2014 by Boeing777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Bill Maher is an ignoramus…a lightweight. This guy likely never will be invited back on Maher’s show because he would embarrass the ignorant bigot Maher.

Can you post some video of him being on Maher's show?

pssst he has never appeared on Bill's show!
edit on 1-10-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Imagine that, generalizations are always wrong. Very interesting, and entertaining video! It's pretty easy to see that the MSM line is very easy to destroy if you even do a day or two of fact checking.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
Reza handed everyone their butts on a silver platter. He has a habit of making ignorant reporters look stupid the interview he did with FOX was classic.

IMO just another lost soul trying to argue religion with logic, unfortunately it does not work. Religion is circular argumentation one passage points to another to prove, or disprove that one.

And what is even more humorous is the fact this person touts his credentials and degrees.

Religion and faith are just that, people either believe or not, anything else added is merely man-made BS.

Peace,

RT
edit on 1-10-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Boeing777

In all fairness, that video also shows some semblance of law and it being respected. Women are "advised" not to do something their religion considers wrong. They dont have the LAW on their side allowing them to do a thing to her though. She wont lose her head over it. She even challenges them and shames them in her own way. So....

While its complete BS that she even had to go through this at ll, its still awesome that she COULD affirm herself. She may be chastised or suffer some other form of shaming....but in the end its worth it and I am sure she is glad to pay that price, though she shouldn't have to.

Nice video for BOTH sides IMO.

edit on 10 1 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

In the interview he claims he was on the show many times.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: mahatche

No, Im saying that there is a difference between extreme religiosity and radical violent religious people who justify violence by their interpretation of their religion.
Even in Islam you have extreme pious people who would never advocate the acts that the ISIS nuts do.
When the Catholic Church was burning people at the stake alive at the same time in Catholicism you had pious monks who wouldn’t hurt a fly

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Great video! Thank you for posting, Star and Flag. I highly recommend people read some of Aslan's work. I've personally enjoyed reading Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth and No god but God (Updated Edition): The Origins, Evolution, and Future of Islam

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: theNLBS

I am a little curious, I'm only half way into the Aslan rebuttal video, and he hasn't impressed me with his accurate analysis or presentation of facts and logic.

Aslan had time to prepare anything he wanted in terms of a rebuttal, he had a world of facts at his fingertips, he's claimed to be an expert in this stuff. He goes up against a comedian with a strong political feeling in an area, someone with limited time in which to lay out broad concepts. Aslan doesn't do very well at all in his rebuttal. In fact, he fails to overcome Maher's points at all.

I'm glad you enjoyed his work. Was it for his writing style? Skillful use of unusual words? From the little I've seen of him so far, I'm not going to him to get a good understanding of Muslim issues.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

His writing style makes digesting all the facts that are presented fairly easy. I read "Zealot: The life and times of jesus of nazareth" first, the latest book he wrote. When I finished reading his book, I was completely awe struck by the awesomeness of the historical Jesus. I even shared the book with my girl friend, a former catholic, who shared my same sentiment.

I recently finished up his second book "No God but God" When I wanted to know more about this alleged terrible and violent religion, Islam. He wrote the book in much the same way he did about Jesus, using Muhammed's life and teachings as the central focus and expands outward exploring how the original teachings have evolved and bastardized. The central reason.... Muhammed failed to appoint a successor. I will admit it was interesting to read the admiration he held for other monotheistic religions and based most of his teachings off current, at the time, Judaic and Christian practices.

There's still a lot of messed up stuff happening within the muslim community, however it was worth the read to get a perspective on why things are so screwy and not just because Merica.
edit on 1-10-2014 by theNLBS because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Dear Sremmos80,

Thanks, very gentlemanly of you. I try not to distort things so I take your comments very seriously.

you do need to finish the sentence.
The way you have it quoted, it does sound like he is agreeing with bill, but what he actually says completely refutes what bill says. He is saying it happens in those countries, that are majority muslism, but that they are still the extreme of it compared to the rest of the countries with higher populations that it doesn't happen in

I thought I had finished the sentence, so I went back to the video. Aslan's next words were:

Do you know that Muslims have elected 7 women as their heads of state in their muslim majority countries?

Aslan's sentence must be completed by now. But you know me, so I went looking. Wiki gave me five names, this site gave me the same five:

www.wisemuslimwomen.org...

Benazir Bhutto........... Pakistan
Megawati Sukarnoputi.. Indonesia
Khaled Zia ............... Bangladesh
Sheik Hasina Wazed..... Bangladesh
Tansu Giller.............. Turkey

OK, so seven or five, what's the big deal?

Well, I looked at the five. Megawati Sukarnoputri was not elected president, she was elected vice-president. The president was removed by the Peoples Consultative Assembly (a liitle like impeachment and conviction in the US?) she filled the vacancy but was not elected on her own.

Tansu Ciller gained office in another unusual way.

After the death in office of President Turgut Özal (which according to some was part of the 1993 alleged Turkish military coup), DYP Prime Minister Süleyman Demirel won the 1993 presidential election on 16 May 1993. Suddenly the important position as Prime Minister and leader of the DYP was vacant. Ciller was no obvious candidate, but the three male contenders could not muster the resources, skill and support to compete effectively. Ciller was a professional urban women, young and smart with higher Western education. The media supported her, as well as the business community, and externally she gave the impression that Turkey was a progressive Moslem country. On 13 June 47 year old Çiller fell 11 votes shy of a majority in the first ballot for party leader. Her opponents withdrew and she became the party's leader and on 25 June, the [List of Prime Ministers of Turkey|Prime Minister]] of the DYP-Social Democratic Populist Party (SHP) coalition government.

So at best, she was chosen by her party's governing body and went on to be president without being elected by the people.

So instead of Aslan's seven, we're really at three, fewer than half of his claim. Only in Pakistan and Bangladesh have the majority Muslim people voted for a woman to fill the role of president or prime minister.

But, dear Sremmos80, I think you may be saying that later in his answer he says that many Islamic nations are not extreme. What we get from that is that many are, and many aren't. That doesn't do a very good job of refuting Maher.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

So instead of Aslan's seven, we're really at three, fewer than half of his claim. Only in Pakistan and Bangladesh have the majority Muslim people voted for a woman to fill the role of president or prime minister. But, dear Sremmos80, I think you may be saying that later in his answer he says that many Islamic nations are not extreme. What we get from that is that many are, and many aren't. That doesn't do a very good job of refuting Maher.

He was still right and Maher was wrong. How many female Presidents or Vice Presidents has America had?

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Dear Buster2010,

Aslan said Muslim majority countries had elected seven heads of state. He was wrong. Why do you claim that Aslan is right? Have you got any evidence of the seven leaders?

What was Maher wrong about? He never even talked about women leaders, how could he be wrong about it? If Aslan says, correctly, that many Muslim nations do mistreat women, then Maher is right. Or are you saying that Aslan is wrong when he says that?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

The core of the problem is Islam, and those who are called extremist. Those Extremist are only living up to the actual teaching of Islam, and they happen to control a few countries. Their overall goal is to install Sharia Law in more countries. This man Reza Aslan does a good job demonstrating that by listing out a number of secular governments as if they are Islamic states, we all know they are not Islamic states because those countries constantly deal with terrorism from said "Extremists" too. It is clever, but really is dishonest at its roots. His comments are clearly as misleading as Bill Maher's comments, but the only difference is Bill Maher is a comedian and this guy Reza Aslan is actually on a news channel.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

edit on 1-10-2014 by theNLBS because: late to the party... Sorry

Here I believe he misspoke slightly. In his book he lists several female heads of state and "political party leaders".

Mame Madior Boye in Senegal

Tansu Ciller in Turkey

Kaqusha Jashari in Kosovo

Megaqwati Sukarnoputri in Indonesia

Nurul Izzah anwar in Malaysia

Benazir Bhutto in Pakistan

Khaleda Zia and Sheik Hasina in Bangladesh

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
i like how he mentioned that atrocities in Saudi(19 beheading) goes unreported all because US gov and their MSM is in bed with Saudi.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: luciddream

Raising, for me, the question "Why are there atrocities like beheadings?" Certainly the Saudi Princes have had at least a generation of wealth, and power in the Western world, how can it be just their "Culture?"

You're surprised that it isn't being reported. I'm surprised that it's happening.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
why when one side is wrong they are filthy liars and when the other side lies they "misspoke"?

I don't have a dog in the fight I just thing its incredibly biased to even use that as an argument.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

If its their religion, why aren't countries like Turkey, Indonesdia, India, and other countries with muslim do not do Beheading?

What about Muslims in Canada or the US? where are all the beheading this Religion suppose bring?

Its Culture. The culture in certain middle east countries have not evolved yet.

For outsiders(unless they have been to a normal muslim country or grew up with normal muslim kids), its easy to paint the whole 1+ billion with same brush.

edit on 10/1/2014 by luciddream because: grmr

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join