It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher Destroyed Again And Again By Reza Aslan

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
To counter what Bill Maher recently said on his HBO show about Muslims, Bill Maher on Liberals That Defend Muslim Atrocities

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Reza handed everyone their butts on a silver platter. He has a habit of making ignorant reporters look stupid the interview he did with FOX was classic.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

That was fabulous...

To quote the broadcaster:

"Oh damn... That was an ass-kicking the likes of which I have not seen in a long time."

That was a great debate.

~Namaste

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I don't think you will get much of a response here because it does not perpetuate the outright lie that Islam is to blame.

We need to be looking at the countries individually and recognize that our own allies may be worse than any "extremist" group we can demonize.

Great video!

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
That was refreshing.

Someone who can think! And he's on tv!

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
That was a great video ! Comparing all Muslim countries to the likes of Saudi Arabia and Pakistan is .....well stupid! S^F

+31 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I've started looking at the video interview with Mr. Aslan.

His first point is that female genital mutilation (FGM) is not an Islamic problem, but an African problem. Interesting. Consider Africa then. Leave out, for the moment, the countries with FGM rates of 15 % or lower. How many countries in Africa have a FGM of higher than 15%? Twenty-one. How many countries in Africa? Fifty-four.

Lets look at countries in Africa with high rates of FGM. UNICEF says the countries with rates of 90% or higher are these:

Djibouti.............97% Muslim
Egypt................95%
Guinea..............84%
Somalia.............99%

Slightly better are the countries with rates of 70-89% FGM

Burkina Faso.......59% Muslim
Ethiopia............33%
Mali.................92%
Sierra Leone.......71%
Sudan...............71%

Now let's look at the countries in Africa with FGM, but less than 5%

Benin................25% Muslim
Cameroon..........18%
Niger................98%
Togo................12%
Uganda.............12%

His claim that it is an African problem and not a Muslim problem doesn't stand up to evidence. In this case the lion is tamed and sent to bed without his saucer of milk.

But still, he has a point that FGM occurs largely in Africa. Is there something there? Sure there is. FGM occurs more in the North of Africa than the South. The Muslim population of North Africa and the Middle East is 91%. The Muslim population of Sub-Saharan Africa is 30%.

All of the evidence points to FGM being a Muslim problem NOT an African problem. I wonder where else Mr. Maher is right and Mr. Aslan is wrong. I think I'll take a look.

+20 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952
I've started looking at the video interview with Mr. Aslan.

His first point is that female genital mutilation (FGM) is not an Islamic problem, but an African problem. Interesting. Consider Africa then. Leave out, for the moment, the countries with FGM rates of 15 % or lower. How many countries in Africa have a FGM of higher than 15%? Twenty-one. How many countries in Africa? Fifty-four.

Lets look at countries in Africa with high rates of FGM. UNICEF says the countries with rates of 90% or higher are these:

Djibouti.............97% Muslim
Egypt................95%
Guinea..............84%
Somalia.............99%

Slightly better are the countries with rates of 70-89% FGM

Burkina Faso.......59% Muslim
Ethiopia............33%
Mali.................92%
Sierra Leone.......71%
Sudan...............71%

Now let's look at the countries in Africa with FGM, but less than 5%

Benin................25% Muslim
Cameroon..........18%
Niger................98%
Togo................12%
Uganda.............12%

His claim that it is an African problem and not a Muslim problem doesn't stand up to evidence. In this case the lion is tamed and sent to bed without his saucer of milk.

But still, he has a point that FGM occurs largely in Africa. Is there something there? Sure there is. FGM occurs more in the North of Africa than the South. The Muslim population of North Africa and the Middle East is 91%. The Muslim population of Sub-Saharan Africa is 30%.

All of the evidence points to FGM being a Muslim problem NOT an African problem. I wonder where else Mr. Maher is right and Mr. Aslan is wrong. I think I'll take a look.

Well, being a Muslim, let me tell you why you're wrong....

First, as Mr. Aslan SAID in the video, FGM is prevalent in Ethiopia and Eritrea as well. Those are majority Christian countries. Should FGM now be a "Christian problem"?

Second, FGM has no basis, nor any originating command in Islamic doctrine. Its origins are strictly traditional.

That's like saying child molestation is a Catholic priest problem...

ETA: If the fact that it doesn't occur all over Africa negates it being an "African problem" then how can you switch it to a "Muslim problem" when it doesn't occur all throughout the Muslim world?

You're trying too hard..
edit on 30-9-2014 by unphased because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Cont.

His next point is:

But again, this is the problem, is that you make these facile arguments, like that, women are somehow mistreated in the Muslim world. But that's certainly true in many Muslim-majority countries.

What? He says that Maher is right! That's two for Maher and none for Azlan. Maher's wiping the floor with Azlan.

I wonder if FGM is considered by Azlan to be mistreatment of women?

+10 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952
Cont.

His next point is:

But again, this is the problem, is that you make these facile arguments, like that, women are somehow mistreated in the Muslim world. But that's certainly true in many Muslim-majority countries.

What? He says that Maher is right! That's two for Maher and none for Azlan. Maher's wiping the floor with Azlan.

I wonder if FGM is considered by Azlan to be mistreatment of women?

Maybe you should actually quote his entire response... stop acting like fox news...

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Lol...Aslan didn't 'pulverize' anyone. These are religious issues, and religion (no matter the flavour) is the problem.

He gave a pedants' argument- sure he was good at it, but it was pointless.
edit on 000000001412amb14America/Chicago by Hushabye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I love Reza Asla. You wont get any argument from me. Although I authored the other thread I still agree with what Reza said here as well.

I hated Mahers position on Islam and Muslims in general. On religion really. I agree there are dangers when defending Muslims under a blanket statement, the same as vilifying them under a slippery generalization.

Its hypocracy to just pretend there arent issues we should be concerned with, if truly concerned...Its also hypocrisy to pick and choose what those issues are so as to always have your guys come out on top.

I hate the whole "only liberals do, only conservatives do" comments though. I would say sane people everywhere seek balance no matter their political ideology.

Its not good to give a free pass to any one group. The same way its not wise to pass one judgement on a people and apply it to all people.

SO good on you sir /maam. You kicked my threads ass. LOL. I dont see it as a loss. I see truth and reality being clarified so I am happy. I also hate Maher very much sooo....I am happy either way.

Keep it up. Hold it down.

edit on 9 30 2014 by tadaman because: added more, changed wording

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Bill Maher is a total idiot. And Aslan kicks ass.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

I'd say it was an African problem more than a Muslim problem.

Prevalence of female genital mutilation by country

Female genital mutilation (FGM) is practised in 30 countries in western, eastern, and north-eastern Africa,[5] in parts of the Middle East[6][7] and Asia,[8][9] and within some immigrant communities in Europe, North America and Australia.[5][10] The WHO defines the practice as "all procedures that involve partial or total removal of the external female genitalia, or other injury to the female genital organs for non-medical reasons."[11]

According to a 2013 UNICEF report, Egypt has the world's highest total number with 27.2 million women having undergone FGM, while Somalia has the highest incidence rate of FGM at 98%.[3] Estimates about the prevalence of FGM vary by source.

Egypt, one of our closest allies in the Middle East, but FFM is mostly prevalent in Africa but if you wanna pin it down on religion then you can blame both Islam and Christianity.
edit on 30-9-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

I forgot about that interview.

"Again is on the second page of the book"

I love how she continues to ignore his Phd and only wanted to focus on his religion.

I just ordered his book on Amazon and look forward to reading it.

+10 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: unphased

Dear unphased,

May I thank you for your restrained response? You're a credit to ATS. With your permission, I'd like to explore your very worthwhile points. Honestly, there is nothing I like better than being shown where I am wrong. How else can I search for what is true.

I agree with you that Ethiopia and Eritrea are only 33 - 35% Muslim. As a matter of fact, my post mentions Ethiopia and it's statistics quite clearly. But YOU ARE RIGHT. I WAS WRONG in my treatment of Eritrea. My map had a long line leading off to a corner with Eritrea's name on it, and I overlooked it entirely. It should be in the same category as Ethiopia.

Still, that doesn't change my thought on the subject. Out of the top ten countries for FGM, eight are majority Muslim, and six are over 70% Muslim. Out of the lowest five countries, four have 25% or less Muslim populations.

First, as Mr. Aslan SAID in the video, FGM is prevalent in Ethiopia and Eritrea as well. Those are majority Christian countries. Should FGM now be a "Christian problem"?

No, because The majority Christian countries in Africa have lower levels of FGM than the Muslim countries. How do I know? I didn't before, but you've forced me to go back and take another look at the statistics.

I checked to see the countries with a rate of 25% or less. This adds The Central African Republic with a Muslim population of 9%, and Tanzania with a Muslim population of 30% So now, I've listed the statistics for 17 of the 21 African countries which have FGM rates of over 5%.

All right, we've got the seven lowest countries and only 1 of the 7 has more than 30% Muslims. At the other end, of the ten countries with the highest rate of FGM , only two are non-majority Muslims.

Well, to do a thorough job of it, here are the four countries with FGM rates of 30-49%

Chad..............56% Muslim
Ivory Coast......36%
Nigeria...........48%
Senegal..........96%

With the exception of Senegal, the numbers are pretty much what you would expect. FGM is much more correlated to Islam than Christianity, or location in the continent of Africa. (Remember, 36 African countries don't have FGM.)

[quote]Second, FGM has no basis, nor any originating command in Islamic doctrine. Its origins are strictly traditional.
That's like saying child molestation is a Catholic priest problem...[/quote]

I'm sorry to sound abrupt, but, so what? It's what people who claim to be Muslims are doing and they're still considered Muslims. From Wikipedia:

Surveys have shown a widespread belief in practising countries, particularly in Mali, Eritrea, Mauritania, Guinea and Egypt, that FGM is a religious requirement.[98] Gerry Mackie and John LeJeune write that practitioners may not distinguish between religion, tradition and chastity, making it difficult to interpret the data.

Mackie writes that FGM is found "only in or adjacent to" Islamic groups. There is no mention of it in the Quran. It is praised in several hadith (sayings attributed to Muhammad) as noble but not required, along with advice that the milder forms are kinder to women.

ETA: If the fact that it doesn't occur all over Africa negates it being an "African problem" then how can you switch it to a "Muslim problem" when it doesn't occur all throughout the Muslim world?

The fact that this is most prevalent in Africa and not in the rest of the world, MAY (but it makes sense) be a leftover from the Muslims conquest of Northern Africa in their great sweep across the continent. They did not conquer much of the South of Africa, and FGM is not found there.

You're trying too hard..

Trying to hard to find the truth? Is that possible? I'd like to thank you for your help in bringing me along.

With respect,
Charles1952

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: unphased

Dear unphased,

You are helping me yet again, Thank you over and over.

Maybe you should actually quote his entire response...

Let me explain why I didn't. First, I'm a slow typist, and I had to go back and forth to make sure I quoted him correctly. If I had to do the same for his entire response, you wouldn't hear from me until the weekend.

Second, nowhere in his response did he take back those words. It was the same "Well, not every Islamic country mistreats women (a claim I have to take on faith), so you can't make any statements about Islam." Maher was not delivering a carefully nuanced address. Aslan said many Islamic countries do mistreat women (how many women outside the Muslim world think it's just fine to be beaten with a stick, even if it's only as big as a thumb? Here you'd be arrested for it.)

Once Aslan says that, and doesn't retract it, he's given the point to Maher in the eyes of any reasonable observer. Oh, and the comment:

stop acting like fox news...

If you'd care to stay away from personal attacks, I'd be grateful. As I've already told you, I'm happy to be proved wrong. Please, find my statements to be wrong and I'll be even more grateful. But this comparison to Fox, isn't accurate or helpful.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Dear Swills,

Have the numbers persuaded you differently? If not, did my discussion of them? I'd be grateful to find out where they are wrong. I've discussed it in a slightly earlier post.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Oh man ever since I saw the video that buster showed, I have been a fan of reza.
Great video, tho I could of done with out the commentary of the young turks guys.
I think the videos they pull up, just don't need them to stop it and tell me something I figured out for my self.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

But that's certainly true in many Muslim-majority countries.

I just watched the video and didn't hear him say these words.
He does say it happens in the extremist countries like Iran, Iraq and Saudi but then goes on to say about it doesn't happen in many muslim-majority countries

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join