It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctica Is Losing So Much Ice It's Throwing Off Earth's Gravity

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinker9917
I guess I could see how massive melting could throw off (what was) the current balance, but I don't know about actually changing gravity...

but:

Gravity is a force which tries to pull two objects toward each other. Anything which has mass also has a gravitational pull. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational pull is

I guess frozen ice would have more gravity then water that is distributed all over the earth.

Gravity follows the inverse distance squared law. So the ground directly beneath your feet has more attractive force than the ground at the opposite side of the planet due to distance. The forces from all the ground around you cancels out, so the dominant force is downwards. But any variation in surface height and mass density in the local surroundings will cause slight variations in the local force of gravity. That's what gravimeters can pick up. The US army were using them to detect underground tunnels because of the slight change in the force of gravity.

If you look at some of those odd shapes asteroids which are barbell shaped, the force of gravity is actually stronger at the ends than in the middle, so boulders would appear to roll uphill.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Antarctica ice extent is the largest ever on record, EVER. Even the arctic ice shelf has been increasing last couple years.

Seems like the earth is telling the global warming brigade that its the boss not man.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I've read other sources that say the ice is thicker than ever and growing.....

Which is it damn it!?!?

Do I nee to go up there myself and check it out to know for sure???

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
This article is a load of rubbish. I'm no scientist but gravity is relative to mass. When ice turns to water there is no change of mass to the earth so the gravitational pull of the earth will not change. I find it difficult to believe that the gravitational pull of the earth is 'regional'.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified
Seems like it eh? Indistinguishable from normal fluctuations? And what exactly are your qualifications? What makes you say that? Oh, a gut feeling or something. Gotcha. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend
Antarctica ice extent is the largest ever on record, EVER. Even the arctic ice shelf has been increasing last couple years.

Seems like the earth is telling the global warming brigade that its the boss not man.

A good example that people should read and understand their own sources first:

The formation of sea ice around Antarctica every year is one of the biggest seasonal events on Earth.

The ice is generated in what scientists refer to as "sea ice factories" or polynia - areas of the ocean surface where currents and wind patterns combine to generate sea ice.

"As soon as sea ice is produced in these polynias it is actually transported away from that so more sea ice can be produced," Dr Lieser said.

As the area covered in sea ice expands scientists have said the ice on the continent of Antarctica which is not over the ocean continues to deplete.

CEO of the Antarctic Climate and Ecosystems CRC, Tony Worby, said the warming atmosphere is leading to greater sea ice coverage by changing wind patterns.

"The extent of sea ice is driven by the winds around Antarctica, and we believe that they're increasing in strength and part of that is around the depletion of ozone," he said.

So the "record" amounts of sea ice is actually because of climate change (no one calls it global warming" anymore as that is such an inaccurate term for what is happening. The article even states the land ice is depleting (it is all going into the sea) and because of global climate change, that sea ice is whisked away much quicker, allowing more ice to form or slip off the land into the sea.

EDIT: And it isn't sea ice that is the problem. It's mass is already factored into global sea levels (it displaces the water) but the land ice is the problem. If that depletes, it will cause global sea levels to rise (as it hasn't displaced any water) and your own article states it is decreasing.
edit on 30/9/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Well.. If the center of gravity is being changed, then maybe that will cause the earth to propel itself into a more habitable, cooler orbit. So that would make global warming a good thing.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

Isn't it fun when they cheery-pick information LOL. No mention of course that there is a serious depression in the Indian Ocean caused by, guess what, gravity and it's always been there, it ain't changin' ;-) There are places all over the planet with gravity anomalies that are much more severe than the antarctic alleged field melt. And if they fool around enough with sensors and math, they'll be the poster boys and girls for Hoagland-like behavior where anything is possible based simply on math.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: tinker9917
I guess I could see how massive melting could throw off (what was) the current balance, but I don't know about actually changing gravity...

but:

Gravity is a force which tries to pull two objects toward each other. Anything which has mass also has a gravitational pull. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational pull is

I guess frozen ice would have more gravity then water that is distributed all over the earth.

Gravity follows the inverse distance squared law. So the ground directly beneath your feet has more attractive force than the ground at the opposite side of the planet due to distance. The forces from all the ground around you cancels out, so the dominant force is downwards. But any variation in surface height and mass density in the local surroundings will cause slight variations in the local force of gravity. That's what gravimeters can pick up. The US army were using them to detect underground tunnels because of the slight change in the force of gravity.

If you look at some of those odd shapes asteroids which are barbell shaped, the force of gravity is actually stronger at the ends than in the middle, so boulders would appear to roll uphill.

So would you say because on the opposite side of the globe from antarctica which would be the Arctic N pole which is seeing a heavy loss of Ice each year would that would be adding to the changes in gravity?

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

LOL should have read it first! Fact is the Antarctica ice shelf is largest on record and is counter to theories of warming sea's. We could be up to our necks in ice but people on the global warming gravy train would continue to tell us that CO2 is going to kill us and we must pay taxes because thats what they paid to do. All global warming models have proved [url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/climatechange/10310712/Top-climate-scientists-admit-global-warming-forecasts-were-wrong.html]wrong[/ url] with no significant temperature increases since 1998.

I am more concerned about a return to a little ice age.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Antarctica Is Losing So Much Ice It's Throwing Off Earth's Gravity

lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The things people will believe....

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Trust me...there's a whole lot more to come.,

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

Indeed, you should

But going back to this "global warming" thing - its such a simplistic term and I only really here it used by those who don't "believe" that climate change is happening. Personally, I think what is going on is a mix between natural cycles made worse by human activity - that is the most likely cause IMO.

Ironically, increased temperatures that melt land ice will cause all that freshwater to flood into the oceans, decreasing salinity and upsetting currents. If land ice continues to melt, raising sea levels and changing currents, it will most likely trigger an ice age of sorts, severely affecting places such as Northern Europe and the UK. Without the warming currents of the north Atlantic, we would be much colder than we are today.

It is hard to deny that our climate is changing. Here in the UK we've had some of the worst winters/summers on record over the past 20 years and the worst of those have been in the past 5-10 years.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
  • The measurements are of local gravity. Since the earth is not composed uniformly, there will be areas of higher and lower density, and these will create slight discrepancies in the gravitational field over those areas. This is normal and nothing new, although we have only recently had equipment sensitive enough to accurately detect it.

• The discrepancies being measured are so tiny as to be unnoticeable by all but the most sensitive detectors.There are much higher and lower areas on the global map at the beginning of the video than are shown in the Antarctic.

• The map shown in the article concentrates on only one small area of Antarctica. It is perfectly normal for ice to form in different areas during different time spans. In the vernacular, that is called "weather" and is nothing to be feared.

• Even the area that was concentrated on shows only a gravitational decline in one area. The areas around that one spot seem to be doing just fine.

• The fact that the earth has seismic activity and a molten core means these discrepancies will be somewhat mobile, adjusting to changes in crust thickness, crust composition, core composition and position, and anything else that moves density from one point to another. That includes melting land ice, putting asphalt on a roadway, building a house, digging a ditch, etc.

• The article claims a sea level rise of 0.51 mm/yr. How much is that? Take 5 sheets of 20-lb paper (standard copy paper) and that's how much they claim the sea level rises in a year. Don't ask me how that is being measured against waves that are normally several feet from crest to trough...

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
  • The measurements are of local gravity. Since the earth is not composed uniformly, there will be areas of higher and lower density, and these will create slight discrepancies in the gravitational field over those areas. This is normal and nothing new, although we have only recently had equipment sensitive enough to accurately detect it.

• The discrepancies being measured are so tiny as to be unnoticeable by all but the most sensitive detectors.There are much higher and lower areas on the global map at the beginning of the video than are shown in the Antarctic.

• The map shown in the article concentrates on only one small area of Antarctica. It is perfectly normal for ice to form in different areas during different time spans. In the vernacular, that is called "weather" and is nothing to be feared.

• Even the area that was concentrated on shows only a gravitational decline in one area. The areas around that one spot seem to be doing just fine.

• The fact that the earth has seismic activity and a molten core means these discrepancies will be somewhat mobile, adjusting to changes in crust thickness, crust composition, core composition and position, and anything else that moves density from one point to another. That includes melting land ice, putting asphalt on a roadway, building a house, digging a ditch, etc.

• The article claims a sea level rise of 0.51 mm/yr. How much is that? Take 5 sheets of 20-lb paper (standard copy paper) and that's how much they claim the sea level rises in a year. Don't ask me how that is being measured against waves that are normally several feet from crest to trough...

TheRedneck

Right?

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   

And then comes the winter, and it rains back. Frustating.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I dont get how that makes any logical sense?

Melted Ice does not magicaly vannish just turns to water, there is no net loss of mass as the mass of ice turns to water.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Oh, noes! Quick, let's tax everyone and we can stack the cash on the pole and fix the fluctuating gravity!

/facepalm

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok
You're misunderstanding. It isn't saying that earth itself has lost mass. The mass has just rearranged, causing these minor gravitational changes to specific areas.

edit on 30-9-2014 by LeviWardrobe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Yes agree, climate has been changing but the swings are still mild compared to recent history. What worries me is that Penn and Livingston (US solar observatory) predicted that the sun would go into another Maunder Minimum which last occurred during the little ice age. So I looked for reports of weather before the LIA and found articles that told of unusual hot summers in Ireland in the decades preceding the LIA. Doesn't mean that we are in for another repeat but it should be entertained as any dramatic downswings in temperature will devastate the world crops causing massive food shortages (much worse scenario than GW).

FYI recent study show that the Atlantic Conveyor was actually faster during last ice age which implies that it didn't in itself cause dramatic climate change in Europe as previously thought.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join