It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctica Is Losing So Much Ice It's Throwing Off Earth's Gravity

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I just stumbled across this article in my morning internet travels, and if true, I wonder what the repercussions are. There seems a lot of people on ATS who deny the climate is changing (or has been changed by humans), and who ridicule those who accept anthropogenic warming. It seems there is constantly new and seemingly scarier evidence emerging for the amount of damage we as humans have done.

www.gizmodo.com.au...

Rising sea levels inundating coastal cities are the least of our global warming problems. According to a new report by the European Space Agency, the loss of snowpack along the antarctic ice shelf is throwing off Earth’s gravitational field. Yeah, pretty sure that’s bad.

For the last four years, the ESA’s GOCE satellite has circled the globe, mapping the Earth’s gravitational field in unprecedented detail. And between 2009 and 2013, the GOCE revealed, the melting of the Antarctic ice sheet has progressed enough to actually decrease the region’s gravity.

It’s just a small decrease, not like we’re going to see penguins floating off into space, but it is yet another example of how global warming is rapidly changing our planetary dynamic.

edit on 30-9-2014 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I can't wait for people to point out that gravity is a constant and that human activity can't affect the earth. That's always fun.

Interesting read and just amazing that we study such a minuscule and specific facet of the earth like gravity fluctuations in Antarctica. We really have so many irons in the fire.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Is there now a danger of a major polar shift?

This has been predicted.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
SnF..bookmarked, i will read latter after i have my psikotest..

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Hasn't the ice returned this year, though? I know that I read that recently...
2nd

+13 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
What? If gravity is determined by the total mass of earth, then how is melting ice affecting it? It stays on the earth and doesn't lose any mass... unless... *gasp*

THE ALIENS ARE STEALING OUR ICE!

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Nope,
I dont believe it
Ice melt affecting Gravity??? no

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Is the mass of melted ice less than the mass of frozen ice?

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
What? If gravity is determined by the total mass of earth, then how is melting ice affecting it? It stays on the earth and doesn't lose any mass... unless... *gasp*

It does not affect the overall gravity of the Earth. It is slightly weaker in that area, not world-wide.

link   
Isn't it more of a shift in gravity, it's lower at that area so it would have to be higher in another area to balance out? I don't know for sure.

link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

Gravity varies globally, it isn't uniform.

Second line...

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I guess I could see how massive melting could throw off (what was) the current balance, but I don't know about actually changing gravity...

but:

Gravity is a force which tries to pull two objects toward each other. Anything which has mass also has a gravitational pull. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational pull is

I guess frozen ice would have more gravity then water that is distributed all over the earth.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Aldakoopa

It does not affect the overall gravity of the Earth. It is slightly weaker in that area, not world-wide.

But... aliens!

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Wonder if China's gravity has increased since the filled up the big dam? I hear that it affected the earths rotation.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold
Hi Cucky.

I think you may have opened a can of worms here, between those who believe climate change is natural, and those who believe it's all man made. Either way, the earth itself will be just fine. It will be around long after we're gone. Us on the other hand. We may not fare so well. I think we need to give credit where it's due. It is industry that has done the biggest part of any damage done to the planet. Not the average Joe or Jill.

Still, as Stu said. Gravity varies globally. How are they so sure it is melting ice causing the fluctuation?

edit on 9/30/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/30/2014 by Klassified because: oops

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Exactly...

The Earth's core is said to be molten! How would the center of gravity/mass change in a liquid?

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified
Because it is basic physics. Massive objects affect gravity. If the mass is all in one place and you spread it out over a large area, its gravitational influence will change. There is no question that the mass at our poles spreading evenly over the oceans will have an effect. It's simple physics.
edit on 30-9-2014 by LeviWardrobe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoOfYFoOt
Hasn't the ice returned this year, though? I know that I read that recently...
2nd

Sea Ice has returned which does not displace much mass at all. What they are referring to is the loss of glacier mass most of which is on land. Some of which are 4,000 meters above sea level.

I do believe Antarctica has received about 9cm of growth to its glaciers in the past 2 years but at the same time it has experienced a lot of loss from glacier break off into the sea which has been disproportionate.

Basicly mountains of glaciers breaking off has displaced the mass of antarctica effecting the gravity in that region.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: LeviWardrobe
a reply to: Klassified
Because it is basic physics. Massive objects affect gravity. If the mass is all in one place and you spread it out over a large area, its gravitational influence will change. There is no question that the mass at our poles spreading evenly over the oceans will have an effect. It's simple physics.

Ok. But the effect seems as though it would be miniscule, and nothing more measurable than the normal fluctuations. Thanks for the physics lesson.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

A two and a half mile tall glacier?

Wow...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join