It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utah family found dead under mysterious circumstances

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Source

There are still more questions than answers in the case of the family that died mysteriously Saturday in their home in Springville, Utah. "There was no blunt force trauma, no stab wounds, no gunshot wounds," a local police lieutenant tells KSL. "Nobody went in the house and shot these people or stabbed these people. What's left is something chemical, like carbon monoxide or a poison," but authorities don't have many leads there. "There's nothing, no note, no barbecue or gas heater, no container with a skull and cross bones on it."

Benjamin and Kristi Strack and three of their children were last heard from around 7am Saturday; their oldest son and his grandmother found their bodies, all of them in the parents' bedroom, around 8pm that night. There was bottled water and soda in the room, which holds a large-screen TV, and authorities are looking into the possibility that the family was watching or planning to watch a movie

The drinks are being tested, notebooks and phones at the scene are being looked at, and the next step is to await the results of toxicology tests, which could take a month or more. The family's three pets, which were not confined to the same room as the family but were in the house, were all found alive

I've been following this tragic story the last couple days and am puzzled over what could have happened. My initial thought was carbon monoxide, but it's strange how the pets survived, even if they weren't in the same room.

Also, carbon monoxide would be more suspect at night when they're all asleep. This was at 8PM and it appears they were settling in to watch a movie. It seems odd that the gas would kill everyone at the same exact moment - I would think that someone would have shown symptoms, even if only seconds before someone else, which would have set off some sort of panic or alert. I'll be interested to see what the toxicology report shows.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: cleverhans

i believe I read the house was a duplex with a family next door unharmed as well.
odd

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

|I just through this out there for a guess...poisoned by ricin. You can dissolve castor beans in acetone and get it and for some odd reason certain animals can live through it. In fact I think a duck can eat like 80 castor beans and survive. As a disclaimer I am only saying this through my botany education in college and that is all. When I saw the animals lived it made me wonder if it was something like that.

Now as to why someone would want to do that...i dont know I could be way off the mark on this.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: deadcatsrule first off, I am really sorry for the family...but it is a mystery for sure....pets still alive, no obvious gas leak of any kind....we need to see what the autopsies show.....a real mystery here.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Very sad. And very strange.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Wow thats really strange, and so sad especially for the family members that found them, obviously the grandmother and son didn't smell anything when they found them then ? It didn't really say in the article just that once the firefighters got there atleast one door had been open and a strong breeze was building so they couldn't smell anything.. Maybe the drinks will hold the clues.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Were they Mormons or Ex-mormons perhaps?

A lot of strange stuff going on behind those curtains...

The doctrine of Blood Atonement states that there are sins that the Atonement of Jesus Christ does not cover. Therefore the sinner himself must be sacrificed to receive forgiveness for their sins like the animal sacrifices made in the Old Testament. The sacrifice must include the shedding of the sinner's blood.

On October 15, 1985, two pipe bombs shook the calm of Salt Lake City, Utah, killing two people. The only link-both victims belonged to the Mormon Church. The next day, a third bomb was detonated in the parked car of church-going family man, Mark Hoffman. Incredibly, he survived. It wasn't until authorities questioned the strangely evasive Hoffman that another, more shocking link between the victims emerged... It was the appearance of an alleged historic document that challenged the very bedrock of Mormon teaching, questioned the legitimacy of its founder, and threatened to disillusion millions of its faithful-unless the Mormon hierarchy buried the evidence.

But, the Hofmann portion of the story could never have happened were it not for persistent fear of the Mormon Church leadership that early Mormon historical documents could discredit the Church in the eyes of the faithful if they were to be found and made public. Hofmann played on this fear by claiming to have located various documents and offering them to the Church leadership at huge sums before someone hostile to the Church might acquire them and publish their contents. The Church leadership sought to get the documents by arranging their purchase through third parties who would then donate them to the Church so that the Church could plausibly deny it possessed the documents. These documents would then be placed into The Vault where they would never again see the light of day.

If this sounds like too much conspiracy theory to spin, the reader should wait until he or she gets to the portion of the book dealing with the investigation and trial of Mark Hofmann. Evidence that Hofmann had killed two people was overwhelming, but the entire legal system began rapidly to lose interest in prosecuting him when it became known that the Mormon Church wanted no part of the publicity that would be generated by all of the disclosures coming out in a trial. Gordon B. Hinckley, then not yet the head of the Mormon Church, simply told the lead detective he was not interested in testifying about his involvement in purchasing documents from Mark Hofmann, and he eventually got away with it! As intriguing as Mark Hofmann's tortured plots are, the glimpses into the Mormon Church and its influence over the media and the legal system in Salt Lake City are equally fascinating.

The Mormon Murders

edit on 30-9-2014 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Under certain conditions sewer gas fumes can also cause this to happen. Same with hydrogen cyanide gas. It could be just about anything. Both could have consumed something that stopped cellular respiration. Burning urethane can do that too. There are many possibilities.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I would have thought that Carbon Monoxide poisoning could have been ruled out if the bodies were not cherry red, or pink upon discovery, before the room had time to disperse any gaseous contents throughout the rest of the house.

Seems to me that all that remains, is the possibility that the soda bottle had something deeply noxious inside it. I find the assertion that the toxicology testing will take a month or so to be absolutely laughable however. It does not take a month to complete a battery of laboratory tests. It takes a month to get around to doing the tests however, churning through a backlog to reach them, which is pretty bloody stupid in and of itself. But let's be realistic. These tests that need doing, in reality, would probably be less than an afternoons work for a lab assistant.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I agree with your reasoning OP. It seems to me that the most logical explanation would be deliberate poisoning, although it is not likely that they all drank from the same beverage, and I would assume a poison dissolved in liquid would be the most likely method by the person doing the poisoning. For someone outside the family to have put something in everyone's drinks, it seems they would have to have been there around the same time, unless somehow they poisoned unopened drinks hoping that someone would drink it eventually, but this does not account for all of these victims being found together.

I think that a family member would be the most likely culprit if they were purposefully poisoned. One of those in the house could have put something in the opened beverages at the same time. This still seems a bit unlikely. CO2 poisoning could have made them all sleepy and thus no one was roused to get help or raise the alarm. If the source of CO2 was released in a relatively concentrated dose near the family members and then ended not long after the family was already poisoned, perhaps the dogs were spared. But if the CO2 were to keep building up, the dogs could not have survived. I think a gas like that is not likely, and I still think some type of poisoning is more likely. Perhaps they ate some poisonous mushrooms or something. It would not be the first time a family was killed from picking mushrooms and eating them with their dinner, although that is a long shot. Most people wouldn't do that. The toxicology report will provide the explanation. If it was a poison that is difficult to detect, like one of those that has been mentioned, things will get even more strange.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Updated reports show that carbon monoxide levels were okay when tested in the home, but could have dissipated if that was the cause. Their eldest child, 18, thought something was odd then went to his grandparents. His testimonial plus the planned blood test may conclude something. The blood tests can take six weeks or take months. Their personal history is not involved in the investigation, that shows the husband borrowing money from his employment and a misdemeanor for both of the couple, but could be reconsidered if foul play is discovered.

To answer the question in a prior post, I do believe they were Mormons(ex or present), but am not seeing that confirmed.

one source

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid
Were they Mormons or Ex-mormons perhaps?

According to this piece, there is a rather good chance that this is an LDS or EX LDS family...

Since Springville was settled by members of the Church of the Latter Day Saints (LDS or Mormons), there is a rather good chance this is a LDS family. The names appear to be Mormon. As one site says, certain names...

Could only be LDS: Cumorah Hill, Liahonna, Ensign, Nauvoo, Kirtland, Templa, Templer, Tempella, Tempalia, Ziona, Deseret (and Desereta), Tabernacle, Woodruff, Pratt, Tithing, Quorum, Helamans Warrior, Iron Rod, Morona, Manti, Stripling, Nephi Courage, Celestial Glory, Celestian, Brighaminie, Zion, Xione (pronounced "zion").

Family's Mysterious Deaths In Ancient Hobble Creek

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Where's all the conspiracy theories on a conspiracy theory site. I say bioweapons test or maybe nanobot attack.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Sounds like a family suicide via poison.

family fun for everyone.

If this was planned by one of them it is sick as well as deeply sad.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
A while ago there was a thread about the Jumping Jack Flash Hypothesis. It stated methane was being released along with hydrogen sulfide. The theory states that these fumes have a tendency to come out of bodies of water. One of the predictions from the hypothesis states:

C. More multiples of people will be found dead in their homes, as if they'd dropped dead.

Might be a coincidence.

As a consequence, the oceans, lakes and seas have begun to plume increasing amounts of hydrogen sulfide into the atmosphere. This is an ancient extinction event. Hydrogen sulfide is the likely culprit in many if not all previous planetary extinction events. Hydrogen sulfide is a deadly broad-spectrum poison. It is lethal to humans with one or two breaths in concentrations of 1 part per thousand. In other words, if the air you breathe is 99.9% clean and 0.1% hydrogen sulfide then you're going to be dead after one or two breaths..

But since most of the predictions and supposed effects outlined in the hypothesis seem to be happening, perhaps there is something to it.

Jumping Jack Flash Hypothesis

There are some very strange coincidences between current events and what is outlined on that site. I'm not a scientist so I can't say whether or not it goes beyond coincidence.

I hope they discover the cause, it's very sad.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I grew up in the Mormon Church as a kid and got out as an adult, but I don't recall the doctrine of blood atonement.

"The doctrine of Blood Atonement states that there are sins that the Atonement of Jesus Christ does not cover."

Interesting concept though, think I'll look in to that one.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I don't understand the 18 year old thinking something is odd and going to his grandparent. Why would he not go himself.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Both could have consumed something that stopped cellular respiration.

Five people would all have had to consume enough at the same time.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
High on the list of things to look for will be cyanide in the beverage bottle.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The house was a duplex,im tring to find to article that states the other family in the duplex was home.Ive been in numerous duplexes at times you can usually smell what your neighbor is cooking ,so I would think any kind of gas is out.

if its ruled foul play my money is on the 18 yr old son

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join