It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Need To See This!! Routine Traffic Stop Escalates Beyond Belief!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: paxnatus

Those in the car must have a bit altered sense of reality approaching level of blank stupidity.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Yeah.. she got really scared and didn't know what to do. I don't think she meant any harm. She should have just taken the ticket but maybe she thought admitting guilt had implications, like a search. Maybe she really thought she was free to go and her mind was on what a search would turn up. She was obviously terrified of the idea of being put in cuffs which is why she ran when he told her to turn around and why she didn't want to get out.

It was dumb, but nothing justified the cop shooting at a car load of kids. He just pulls up, with no idea of the situation and starts firing rounds. Ridiculous. Honestly after the shots she was smart to run to a public place.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TheWhiteKnight

Cops aren't supposed to shoot out tires, that endangered the children the same as if he shot at the windows. They had her info the whole chase was stupid.

I agree she was acting stupid, but people are afraid of cops. I don't think the son acted wrong - automatic response to sensing your mom's in trouble.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: paxnatus
a reply to: occrest

That is what I mean!!! The woman brought every bit of this on herself including endangering her own children! Personally the cop demonstrated more patience than I would have!

pax

I completely agree, yet back when this happened everyone was blaming the cop. The cop who fired his weapon was attempting to shoot the tires out, which in my opinion is justified for one main reason: you will endanger more people by engaging in a high-speed chase, thus every attempt should be made to stop the vehicle. This is also why the officer's bashing of the window was justified. It would be one thing if the cops escalated this situation, but this was not the case at all, as evidenced by the video.

I think the fact that there was drug paraphernalia in the vehicle may have had something to do with it, although the ignorant woman could have gotten away with that had she cooperated initially. She was driving with a suspended license, was going 21 mph over the speed limit, and had the option to take the ticket or see the judge. So she refuses to do either, so the cop, after patiently trying to get her to comply, eventually goes to call dispatch and ultimately make the decision for her. So she flees from the officer, which is highly illegal and just plain stupid, and he goes back and is STILL patient with her. Fleeing like that is immediate grounds for arrest. He tries to pull her out of the car, and everyone is screaming for no reason, and when that fails he doesn't even hit her or anything. He would have been perfectly justified to do so in that situation, simply because of the obvious non-compliance of the woman. He's lucky he didn't escalate it though, even if he would have been justified.

I hate police abuse, but sometimes people are just asking for it. When the cop does everything correctly, and the person will not comply, there is nothing left but force. They are authorized to use it justly, and I just think it would have been just. That boy is lucky he didn't get shot to be honest. On the one hand he was not a threat in that he had a weapon, but he was a threat in that he exited the vehicle and quickly approached the officer. Given the situation, the boy obviously had intentions of confronting the officer in some manner, otherwise he wouldn't have done what he did. Thus the officer was justified in drawing his weapon.

So the woman is not complying, the guy is acting semi-aggressively, and then they lock themselves in their vehicle. Considering the woman already fled once, the cop doesn't want her to flee again, because as I said this just makes things dangerous for anyone who is driving on that road in the vicinity. So he attempts to break the window to get to the non-compliant suspects. At that point whoever shut the passenger side door is also under arrest, or at least I would hope so. The cop never did anything to cause these people to fear him, as he was acting in an appropriate manner. The breaking of the window was justified, no matter which way you slice it, because they essentially barricaded themselves from the officer.
Had the other officer been firing into the vehicle that would have been a no no, as the cops were never attacked. The use of force was justified, but the use of deadly force was not justified. But firing at the tires is a useful method of keeping a perpetrator who is under arrest from fleeing.

You have to understand that at that point it was no longer a traffic stop. At least two individuals were under arrest, and thus were resisting arrest and attempting to flee. So keeping them from fleeing and endangering other drives, it is completely fine to shoot out the tires. Yet that officer was fired if I remember correctly. Now I know there were some saying that the video was edited, but I don't see what could have been edited out. So unless the cop did something horrible that was edited out, I don't see why people are siding with this woman, who brought all this not only on herself, but upon her passengers.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
...Yeah. I just got a speeding ticket from the CHP. I signed for receipt of the ticket, which is what this lady was asking to do. I didn't have to tell the officer that pulled me over whether or not I agreed with his decision to cite me. Hell no! ...

INCORRRECT
The officer explained NUMEROUS times...with her constantly BABBLING...that she had two normal options, and one more exceptional option...
Right now - Today - You must elect to:
1. Accept the fine
2. Take your chances in court within the next 30 days
OR
3. If you elect to choose neither...and will not sign this 'citation' (acknowledging that LE has accused you of this infraction)...the/a judge will see you...today.
That is quite common with out of state license plates in numerous states (for which I can attest, personally). I have not been pulled over in New Mexico, but...have heard stories - that would derail this thread.

IMO - she was paranoid as hell, because of the paraphernalia in the vehicle...and, with the children in the vehicle, as well - she knew she was going for the long haul (lose the kids to Social Services or...whatever), on top of whatever her wildest paranoia could have mustered under the circumstances...she simply did not realize that she was being offered a Get Out Of Jail Free Card...and rather, in her lunacy, attacked the one that was attempting to give her a break.

...This woman wasn't arguing over the ticket, she was arguing over admitting guilt or setting a court date, and being told that she COULDN'T change her mind later! Is that legal in New Mexico? It's not a precedent on the state website.

She may have been arguing over "admitting guilt or setting a court date...that couldn't be changed later"...but those weren't the options offered... The options...were stated above.
edit on 9/30/2014 by WanDash because: you know

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Thanks for the information. I didn't realize that cops aren't supposed to shoot out tires. But the cops did report via radio that he fired at the tires, just to repeat for those who did not fully comprehend the video. BTW…how on earth do these cop cam videos get online?

It's sad that such loose change is allowed on the freeways. The high speed chase is exactly like a speeding bullet fired into a crowd, or a text message addict behind the wheel, and I am pleased that no one's live was mangled due to the chase. The cop will probably get fired for letting her off the license rap, which ruins it, for everyone. Ah, well, the fringe of the universe is still, and blue…

reply to: GogoVicMorrow

# 288

edit on 1-10-2014 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
a reply to: skunkape23

....or something. In my state (or maybe city, not sure) we have "no chase" laws, when there are children involved.

That is a good policy. Agreed with 100 percent.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: windword
That's your impression of the video...? The ignorant imbeciles in the minivan thought that the cop was going to rape that ignorant woman? That's the last thing the nice cop had on his mind. She was repulsive in so many ways...

EDIT: Rape was not on his mind at all!

edit on 30-9-2014 by Mikeultra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: GogoVicMorrow
It wasn't just the driver/woman acting stupid when the 'back-up' cars arrived...
Almost everyone that had been in the van was outside, and, from someone-driving-up's perspective, they were virtually-ON the lone, arresting officer...
And, as soon as back-up arrived and exited their vehicles...all those that had exited the van, climbed back into the van...then...the van took off, again.
There was no time to ask questions at that point.
They were probably aware that the van had attempted to escape the first stop...
Now, they're taking off, again...
Arriving on the scene, there would have been little to convince the back-up officers that those they'd seen in aggressive postures/proximities to the formerly-lone-officer, were "CHILDREN"...so, how would/could he have known?
He made a decision to try and stop the escalation NOW, before greater tragedy might occur...and attempted to shoot/flatten a tire.
That seemed apparent to me, in watching the video... If it wasn't to you...take another look.
At no point was the driver, or - were the occupants of the van...fearful of being raped or abused.
They were afraid that greater consequences might befall them, if the drug paraphernalia was found.

Guilt-laden hysteria breeds idiocy.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: WanDash

The officer explained NUMEROUS times...with her constantly BABBLING...that she had two normal options, and one more exceptional option...
Right now - Today - You must elect to:
1. Accept the fine
2. Take your chances in court within the next 30 days

Yes. This is what the officer was telling her. She was objecting to
1. Admitting guilt
2. Making a commitment that she wasn't sure she could keep, or would want to carry out. When she asked, the officer told her that she couldn't change her mind later.

Do you have anything to back up that those are the normal and only options for every driver pulled over for speeding in New Mexico? Because this site seems to suggest differently. www.dmv.org...

If you elect to choose neither...and will not sign this 'citation' (acknowledging that LE has accused you of this infraction)...the/a judge will see you...today.
That is quite common with out of state license plates in numerous states

She wasn't given the option to choose "neither" and just sign for the receipt of the citation.

Was this an out of state driver? How do you know that?

she simply did not realize that she was being offered a Get Out Of Jail Free Card

She had an expired license. An expired license isn't a big deal. A suspended license, on the other hand is a different story.

At no point was the driver, or - were the occupants of the van...fearful of being raped or abused.

Really? And you can tell how? I see it differently. I see a woman who was afraid of being raped.

‘Don’t Get Pulled Over’ Is Cop’s Stellar Advice To Women Afraid Of Getting Raped By Police

edit on 30-9-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mikeultra
That's your impression of the video...? The ignorant imbeciles in the minivan thought that the cop was going to rape that ignorant woman? That's the last thing the nice cop had on his mind. She was repulsive in so many ways...

EDIT: Rape was not on his mind at all!

Was it legal for that cop to demand that the woman plead guilty or not guilty before leaving, and threaten that she would be arrested if she didn't?

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I don't live in New Mexico, so I can't answer that question. What makes you think the woman and her spawn thought the cop might want to rape her? That is out of left field! I noticed the newspaper article did their usual thing, reporting that the moron black driver was pulled over by the white cop. Like it was all about race. Not that she was speeding...I see an ignorant woman who should have died in a fiery wreck along with her whole entire stupid family. They could have killed numerous other intelligent families on the road.

edit on 30-9-2014 by Mikeultra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I haven't received a ticket in a long time, but in my early days of driving I got a lot of tickets and I'm sure I had to sign it. Never made a scene like the idiot in the video did. Most times I just mailed the fine in, a few times I tried to fight in court but that never goes in your favor. The judge always said, Who do you think I'd believe, you or officer So and So?
edit on 1-10-2014 by Mikeultra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
These were your words.

The cop was threatening to arrest her and take her to a judge immediately if she didn't make a decision. The woman was clearly terrified of being arrested and abused in front of her children. From looking at the tape, it seems to me that she and her children were afraid the cop was going to rape her.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Mikeultra

Really? Because I saw a sleazy cop trying to usurp this woman's rights by coercing her to admit guilt, for some unknown agenda that smells pretty illegal to me.

I saw a cop determined to arrest a woman and who used all kinds of charm to get her to get out of the car and to get her to turn around so he could cuff her. (gave me the creeps) I saw a terrified woman run to her car and her kids run to her defense.

I saw a woman so terrified of being out in the middle of nowhere, at the mercy of the police, police that proved themselves to be "out of legal bounds", that she risked "too much" to flee to a populated safe area, where there were witnesses.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22
These were your words.

The cop was threatening to arrest her and take her to a judge immediately if she didn't make a decision. The woman was clearly terrified of being arrested and abused in front of her children. From looking at the tape, it seems to me that she and her children were afraid the cop was going to rape her.

So?

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
She could have been arrested at the 1st stop for driving with an expired license! After she took off she was definitely going to be arrested. I think the whole family is a bunch of idiots! I hope karma catches up with each and every one of them! Are they special? They don't have to follow the law like everyone else? In their feeble minds, they think they are special, and that's what gets them in trouble! Bad attitudes...

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Mikeultra

I never said anything about race.

I haven't received a ticket in a long time, but in my early days of driving I got a lot of tickets and I'm sure I had to sign it. Never made a scene like the idiot in the video did.

How would you react if the officer made you sign to admit guilt and accept the fine, or set a court date to fight the citation, right there, with the officer? What if you plead the 5th, and so, he arrested you? Would you make a scene like an idiot then?

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I didn't say you did. I was referring to a newspaper article that felt the need to identify the motorist as black and the cop as white. That's how it is these days, you realize that, don't you? Here is the article.

Farrell is the black woman from Tennessee, whose minivan, full of kids, was stopped by a white state police officer, Tony DeTavis, near Talpa, a neighborhood in the vicinity of Taos last October for speeding.

www.taosfriction.com...

Article was posted my Murgatroid here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   

...Yes. This is what the officer was telling her. She was objecting to
1. Admitting guilt
2. Making a commitment that she wasn't sure she could keep, or would want to carry out. When she asked, the officer told her that she couldn't change her mind later.

Do you have anything to back up that those are the normal and only options for every driver pulled over for speeding in New Mexico? Because this site seems to suggest differently.

I think I claimed 'not to know about New Mex-i-co'...but that I have found that to be true in other states...(including the one I live in)...
But, in attempt to assist in determining if the officer's claim (that she must choose to accept the charge or meet with a judge within the next 30 days) was legitimate...please consider the following...
NM Traffic Citations...stuff
Here are a couple of excerpts... Hopefully, they will be of some benefit... If not... ...

(EXCERPT)
...2.3 Change of Plea
It is quite common for an individual who has signed a citation to pay the penalty assessment to show up at the court asking to be able to talk to the judge. What this person usually wants to do is change his or her plea. ...when an individual signs the citation and agrees to pay the penalty assessment, he or she is pleading guilty to the offense charged. The statement on the Uniform Traffic Citation reads...
Penalty Assessment: I acknowledge my guilt of the offense charged and my options as explained to me by the officer. I agree to remit by mail the penalty assessment shown above.

It is pretty clear that, by signing the above statement, the individual is admitting guilt and agreeing to pay the fine. However, it is...common to hear a person say that he or she was upset, confused, told to sign there, signed in the wrong place, didn't know what they were signing, and...other reasons asking to change the plea. A 1969 Opinion of the Attorney General (No. 69-88) advocates the position that, once signed, an individual's agreement to plead guilty and pay cannot be changed. ...

(EXCERPT)
...9. NON-RESIDENTS
...The Nonresident Violator Compact...provides for the nonresident to sign a citation promising to pay or appear (unless the offense provides for immediate arrest). ...

...Was this an out of state driver? How do you know that?

You can probably tell that I am located in West Texas... I drive in New Mexico often, and I see New Mexico LICENSE PLATES in my own community...constantly... I know New Mexico plates... The plates on the 'suspect vehicle' are not issued by the State of New Mexico.

...She had an expired license. An expired license isn't a big deal. ...

I might agree...if you qualified that statement with "for someone acting rationally, and in their right mind".

Thanks for the questions.
Hope I was of some help.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join