It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana Business Booming in Colorado, The new Silicon Valley.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: angkory13

Soon the whole country will be this way. Exciting times

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Its states like Colorado and Washington that make me believe that society actually has a chance to make up for all the mistakes we have made. I read all these articles about what good hemp (Cannabis) can do for people. I am very big into finding a cure for cancer, specifically pediatric cancer and it amazes me how much cannabis oils and treatments can do for patients. Yet, we live in a country that frowns upon it and it sickens me. The Marijuana industry can do SO MUCH for people and the economy, but its still illegal in 48 states. Not to mention, it helps people open their minds, think about stuff that they've never dreamed about and bring out a creative side to them that has been stolen from them by society.

They say Marijuana is a "gateway" drug, yeah a gateway to an open mind IMHO.

We do not own earth, earth owns us, mother nature has given us everything we need to survive, and the fact that Marijuana is illegal means that the government has placed a law on nature and to me, that is not right.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   
a reply to: angkory13

See, money does grow on trees.

Proof right there.

I can't think of any legitimate negatives regarding this wonder plant, it just seems to keep on giving.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
dude If you were right about that wet brain thing, dementia, craziness inducing marijuana - prohibition would continue and its not so there. Drugs interact with the brain, they don't dissolve it. Oh wait I'm stoned my brains melting...

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5
And in 20 or so years watch how many people develop mental illnesses / wet brain/dementia etc etc costing the tax payers a fortune .

Some of those strains are really strong and kill the brain with lots of exposure ,it is being noticed in the uk how much mental illness is going through the roof with smokers

Got any proof of those claims or are we just going with the standard Reefer Madness scare tactics?

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

And in 20 or so years watch how many people develop mental illnesses / wet brain/dementia etc etc costing the tax payers a fortune .

Some of those strains are really strong and kill the brain with lots of exposure ,it is being noticed in the uk how much mental illness is going through the roof with smokers

Got any links to back that up?

My observations of watching people over 30 years and seeing first hand what affect their life style has on them , but it is well known that long term use has a affect on mental health .

i help a church group a few hours a week and see first hand what drugs can do to a human be it Alcohol or mj etc and the long term affects are plain to see

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

Go over my post history, might change your mind. I am certainly not a braindead sponge. Now, there are certainly drugs out there (Meth, heroin...) that will destroy you. My assumption is that most of the burnouts you have witnessed are not on just marijuana.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Got any links to back that up?

My observations of watching people over 30 years and seeing first hand what affect their life style has on them , but it is well known that long term use has a affect on mental health .

Your personal observations aren't evidence of anything. Where are your control groups? Your testing variables? How are you accounting for if these people already had preexisting mental conditions that led them to drug usage (meaning drug abuse is a symptom and not a cause of their mental deterioration)?

ACTUALLY there was a few studies that came out that say that marijuana usage as a teenager can affect brain development, but that is true for just about any drug or narcotic. There is close to zero (if not zero and I'd bet that if there is any its biased) evidence of long term marijuana use having much if any negative effects on adults.

i help a church group a few hours a week and see first hand what drugs can do to a human be it Alcohol or mj etc and the long term affects are plain to see

How many of those people are JUST marijuana users and not users of other drugs such as alcohol? Your evidence isn't scientific at all and is just biased anecdotal nonsense.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Even though the main risk to physical health from cannabis is probably from the tobacco that it is often smoked with, new research has found that the cannabis plant also contains cancerogenic mutagens that can affect people's lungs.

Psychoses - schizophrenia and bipolar disorder

There is now sufficient evidence to show that those who use cannabis particularly at a younger age, such as around the age of 15, have a higher than average risk of developing a psychotic illness, such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.

A study following 1600 Australian school-children, aged 14 to 15 for seven years, found that while children who use cannabis regularly have a significantly higher risk of depression, the opposite was not the case - children who already suffered from depression were not more likely than anyone else to use cannabis. However, adolescents who used cannabis daily were five times more likely to develop depression and anxiety in later life.

www.rcpsych.ac.uk...

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Even though the main risk to physical health from cannabis is probably from the tobacco that it is often smoked with, new research has found that the cannabis plant also contains cancerogenic mutagens that can affect people's lungs.

Tobacco? I don't know any marijuana users who smoke tobacco with their marijuana. I know people who smoke marijuana AND cigarettes, but I've NEVER seen someone lace their marijuana with tobacco. Of course your point here also means little in regards to marijuana's dangers (since you are harping on tobacco and not marijuana).

Psychoses - schizophrenia and bipolar disorder

There is now sufficient evidence to show that those who use cannabis particularly at a younger age, such as around the age of 15, have a higher than average risk of developing a psychotic illness, such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.

A study following 1600 Australian school-children, aged 14 to 15 for seven years, found that while children who use cannabis regularly have a significantly higher risk of depression, the opposite was not the case - children who already suffered from depression were not more likely than anyone else to use cannabis. However, adolescents who used cannabis daily were five times more likely to develop depression and anxiety in later life.

For this, I direct you to this thread. Please read the whole OP since at the bottom I included the ACTUAL conclusion from the study (as well as a link to the study itself) and not the fearmongering conclusion that all the news outlets have adopted.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Actually, check that. I'll just post the findings and my summary here:

Findings
We recorded clear and consistent associations and dose-response relations between the frequency of adolescent cannabis use and all adverse young adult outcomes. After covariate adjustment, compared with individuals who had never used cannabis, those who were daily users before age 17 years had clear reductions in the odds of high-school completion (adjusted odds ratio 0·37, 95% CI 0·20—0·66) and degree attainment (0·38, 0·22—0·66), and substantially increased odds of later cannabis dependence (17·95, 9·44—34·12), use of other illicit drugs (7·80, 4·46—13·63), and suicide attempt (6·83, 2·04—22·90).

Interpretation
Adverse sequelae of adolescent cannabis use are wide ranging and extend into young adulthood. Prevention or delay of cannabis use in adolescence is likely to have broad health and social benefits. Efforts to reform cannabis legislation should be carefully assessed to ensure they reduce adolescent cannabis use and prevent potentially adverse developmental effects.

In other words, it's still pretty inconclusive, but they suggest not to let teenagers take marijuana. It's funny how that got turned around by our faithful MSM into marijuana being a direct link to not graduating high school.

As I've already said, marijuana isn't healthy for teenagers, but most if not all narcotics already are.
edit on 1-10-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Syyth007
a reply to: douglas5

I'm sorry, but I don't believe you know what wet brain is if you think it can be caused by cannabis. Mental illness can be exacerbated by psychedelic use, of course, but there is absolutely 0 proof cannabis can "cause" mental illness in healthy individuals - if you have a family history of mental illness, or suffer from a mental illness, using ANY psychedelic can cause a psychotic episode, but correlation is not causation.

Funny thing is, mental illness/wet brain (which is a thiamine deficiency)/dementia are all most definitely caused by alcohol abuse.

The lowest dopamine levels were seen in users who meet diagnostic criteria for cannabis abuse or dependence, raising the possibility that this measure could provide a marker of addiction severity.

Previous research has shown that cannabis users have a higher risk of mental illnesses that involve repeated episodes of psychosis, such as schizophrenia.

“It has been assumed that cannabis increases the risk of schizophrenia by inducing the same effects on the dopamine system that we see in schizophrenia, but this hasn’t been studied in active cannabis users until now,” said Dr Michael Bloomfield, from the Institute of Clinical Sciences at Imperial, who led the study.

www3.imperial.ac.uk...

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The main thing is to keep it away from those under 21, which is why all the legit legalization efforts insist on that. Then again, I wish the sugar and caffeine industries were as caring towards their customers as the legal marijuana industry folks are trying to be, and also insist on an age-of-use stipulation (21 for caffeine, never for sugar).
edit on 1-10-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

en.wikipedia.org...

A study at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine showed that very heavy use of marijuana is associated with decrements in neurocognitive performance even after 28 days of abstinence.[81]

Exposure to marijuana has biologically-based physical, mental, behavioral and social health consequences and is "associated with diseases of the liver (particularly with co-existing hepatitis C), lungs, heart, and vasculature" according to a 2013 literature review by Gordon and colleagues.[94]

Cannabis use disorder is defined in the fifth revision of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) as a condition requiring treatment.[94] Several drugs have been investigated in an attempt to ameliorate the symptoms of cannabis withdrawal. Such drugs include bupropion, divalproex, nefazodone, lofexidine, and dronabinol. Of these, dronabinol has proven the most effective.[95]

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
And another thing...isn't it nice that ATS is now allowing this type of discussion and data? I remember one night a couple of years ago where a marijuana thread was kept up for a few hours before being 404ed, and many of us posted and discussed the subject, all having a great time of it expecting the ax to fall at any moment. Now, these threads are getting kind of blah, which actually is a very good sign for America and the world (freedom speaking/seeking world anyway).

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Tobacco? I don't know any marijuana users who smoke tobacco with their marijuana. I know people who smoke marijuana AND cigarettes, but I've NEVER seen someone lace their marijuana with tobacco. Of course your point here also means little in regards to marijuana's dangers (since you are harping on tobacco and not marijuana).

Dude everyone i know smokes it with tobacco everyone or in a pipe , i gram of weed is £15 or $ 23 bucks , i know these things
solid is $10 a g ,and while it is not as strong older alcoholics that i have given it to to try and wean them of drink roll about like they have a carry out after a few puffs

I know the affect a little has on me

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

had to quote this just in case.
funniest post ever^^^^^^^
100% false as well

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: CardiffGiant

100% false as well

links please to show it does no harm

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

100% false as well

links please to show it does no harm

ill wait for your links to show that it causes mental illnesses / wet brain/dementia even though i wont read them

edit on 1-10-2014 by CardiffGiant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

en.wikipedia.org...

A study at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine showed that very heavy use of marijuana is associated with decrements in neurocognitive performance even after 28 days of abstinence.[81]

Exposure to marijuana has biologically-based physical, mental, behavioral and social health consequences and is "associated with diseases of the liver (particularly with co-existing hepatitis C), lungs, heart, and vasculature" according to a 2013 literature review by Gordon and colleagues.[94]

as above so below

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Tobacco? I don't know any marijuana users who smoke tobacco with their marijuana.

just wanted to chime in on this.....

ive known a lot of people that smoke grass mixed in with tobacco.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join