It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC Confirms Patient In Dallas Has The Ebola Virus

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
It's not confirmed if he's a US citizen or not but they did say that he's visiting family. Wow, wrong time to visit(or even go to) from an infected area is that's the case, but maybe trying to save himself.

Dr. Frieden said he believes "a handful" of people had contact with the patient between the 24th and 28th, including family members and "a couple" community members. Those people are to be monitored by the CDC starting Tuesday.

The virus is not contagious until symptoms are present. Early symptoms of Ebola include sudden fever, fatigue, and headache. Symptoms may appear anywhere from two to 21 days after exposure.

Source
Let's hope they caught the symptoms on time, not before spreading it unwillingly.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Well, I guess it was only a matter of time...
edit on 30-9-2014 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinker9917
I wish we had more background on this guy, such as his profession which would give us an idea on how many casual contacts he had on a daily basis. I'm assuming he is single though (which means he could've frequented bars and restraunts/fast food places), because they don't mention isolation of family members.

10 days is a long time in an instance such as this...

I agree, on one hand, it would be nice to know more information but really, what good would it do? There are people traveling back and forth to Africa every day and anyone could be exposed and not know it. Any of these people could have contact with any number of people and how could it truly be tracked? And if that persons travels were traced, then what? Quarantine every person that might have been at the same public place?

My only hope is that they can at least quarantine those he has been in close contact with. I also pray that the medical workers stay safe that are treating him.
edit on 30-9-2014 by CINY8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Wonder if this patient will be a candidate for Zmapp. The results of the drug look promising so far, based on an extremely limited number of trials.

Looks like production of the drug may ramp up soon. Source

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Hi,

First of all, I am not religious person but my prayers are with you. Second, this was bound to happen with the amount of negligence from everyone, not only the US, but every country. As a third point, I think the US has the capacity to contain this pretty fast if contact tracing is precise in implementation. Good luck to you from the other tip of the Americas.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: dizzie56
So now ebola is in the US. When are going to stop the flights to West Africa? When are we going to stop letting people who are contaminated in? When are we going to learn that all we are doing is endagering ourselves?

First of all, flights in and out of these countries can't simply "stop". To do so would cause massive economic damage that is not justified by the imagined risk.

Second, how do you check thousands of people a day for a virus that doesn't present itself as easily as people here seem to assume? Should everyone coming off a flight be quarantined for a week or two?

While this threat should not be underestimated, there is a lot of nonsense and BS fear-mongering out there (on here) that simply doesn't make sense and is really quite ignorant.

Ebola is transmitted through bodily fluid. It is NOT airborne. It is treatable. It hasn't mutated. The reason there have been so many deaths in other countries is because they have very poor medical services, spread out over a massive area, with little communication and little education. The same would NOT HAPPEN in the USA for the reasons stated.

As for those thinking this is "deliberate", have you ever heard the notion that extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence? You know what evidence means, right?

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I know people live for doom & gloom but it's really not a big deal at all, ONE person has it.

I think I read that 3000 people have been killed in Africa so far from it.again, not a big deal really.

More people die in the USA every year from the flu..put it in perspective and don't freak out.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: mwood
I know people live for doom & gloom but it's really not a big deal at all, ONE person has it.

I think I read that 3000 people have been killed in Africa so far from it.again, not a big deal really.

More people die in the USA every year from the flu..put it in perspective and don't freak out.

The problem is the one person could have infected others, since he wasn't quarantined first off when the symptoms were initially present-hospital misdiagnosed? Imagine hearing this locally! Wonder how many ATS Texas members feel especially in the Dallas area. They should take caution, find out of they were anywhere near where the patient had been and to contact health care officials.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

a reply to: voyger2

I wish they would just shut down all travel for a while to and from west africa. In fact, lump the middle east into that one too. But you are right, it will be very hard to guarantee that all persons coming in will be monitored for 21 days.

The President will never allow it, neither will the liberals.

They will say it is racism to stop all air traffic from ebola infected countries, and it is cultural bigotry to stop flights from countries where ISIS rules.

The problem was all the liberals and progressives were in denial that ebola would ever reach the USA unless we ourselves brought victims for treatment. The liberals on this site actually made fun of me for saying it was inevitable that Ebola would reach the USA on it's own.

In this case, I truly hate to say I told you so.

But because the countries where Ebola is the worst and spreading it to the world are predominately black, the President will not allow the USA to do the prudent thing and cut off flights from those countries. He is too interested in his image and not at all interested in the safety of the American public. I'm sure he'd love to see the population decimated by Ebola and so lower the population to make environmentalists and liberals/progressives and Democrats happy.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: mwood

I agree that its not time to panic, but where the CDC has projections of over half a million cases by the end of January, I think caution and preparedness is in order.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
When I searched this topic I found dozens of sources listed within the last few hours. All these sources were calm and confident which is a stark contrast to the fear mongering in most Ebola articles in the past.

If they said nothing and things got leaked it would look like a cover up/conspiracy. The way they've been so open and calm about it reeks. Even fox news didn't mention a single tiny smidgen of fear and we all know fox news loves their fear mongering.

Whether a real threat out of their control or a false flag this is frightening. Despite the wide variety of news outlets reporting this in the last few hours almost all of them sound exactly the same and every single one mentions the CDC director Tom Friedan saying "there is no doubt in my mind we'll stop it here". I haven't seen any articles this calm and confident on anything in my recent memory and that worries me.

On the less reasonable and more crazy conspiracy guy side, I find it interesting that this is in Texas. Yes Texas is a state with a large population so it makes sense but also Texas is the state by far most likely to rebel. There is no state in the US with anywhere near Texas's pedigree and history is independence.

If you start seeing articles in a few weeks about the numbers of cases in Texas spiraling out of control the end times are here for America. Even in the case of no conspiracy whatsoever if it appears to be showing we'll see martial law and quarantines. If this is a real conspiracy that's the whole point.

In the case of this being a conspiracy of population control and enacting a police state any plan would require subjugating Texas first. The blue states are way too disarmed and too split into factions to put up much organized resistance and most red states are too low in population and resources for it. In any situation of the need for rebellion Texas is the only possible candidate for leading the charge.

Either way this is very frightening. Let's hope to God that the CDC's confidence is justified. America is a powder keg and an extremely frightening epidemic could set it off easily. Most people I know are terrified of getting the flu let alone Ebola.
edit on 30-9-2014 by tavi45 because: formatting

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I really hope that this case can be contained, but to tell you the truth, I dont put much faith in the CDC. All you need is one careless nurse, one slip-up, and the containment can fail. While we are not a 3rd world nation, our medical system is already overburdened. If more cases begin to pop up, it wont be long before the hospitals are filled to the brim. You cant treat everyone.

America is already in bad shape. It wont take much to push us over. Its about time we start praying.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

a reply to: signalfire

Good point. But if he flew into Dallas, an international airport, he came into contact with alot of people. A whole lot of people. All he had to do is blow his nose on a napkin and the stewardess accidentley touched it as he threw it out and then its over.

Well no, as he was not symptomatic when he was on the flight or in the hospital. All passengers were checked for fever going onto the plane. He was negative, and didn't even exhibit symptoms until 2 days after he arrived in Dallas. So the airplane / airport is safe.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: samstone11

Well First off, I am assuming you are not currently infected with Ebola. With that in mind this is like asking to sue the government because their was a car crash in your town and they didn't help prevent it....

I don't think jumping to, how can I sue the government for this outbreak, is the best way to go.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I think it should be said that even though I agree this was most likely NOT the result of some intentional plan to introduce the disease to the US, inaction, poor decision making, failing to implement more rigorous control mechanisms, etc all carry the same end result. It could have been prevented (but only for a time given the number of cases in the countries it is coming from).

Second, any astute ATS member already is well aware of our president's propensity for untruths and half truths, so when he recently got on the bandwagon that the US needed to step up and confront this virus I felt he was actually saying I know something you, the public, doesn't know and that is we're headed for a disaster no matter what. Of course he wasn't going to tell us the whole truth, and for once for good reason, but as soon as I heard him wanting to commit American resources in my mind I thought there's something terrible about to happen he's not telling us.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: mwood

Nah. They found one person with it who's been running around with symptoms for four days. It's likely that a dozen people have it then.

You find one roach on the kitchen counter and it means that there are thousands in the walls.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: samstone11

Money won from a lawsuit would have little value at that point.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Russia for example has quarantined healthy people who have been in African countries

Some 335 students from high-risk regions in Africa remain in quarantine in Russia for Ebola, a Russian health official said Wednesday. About 1,000 residents from African countries were put in quarantine for the virus, and the majority have been cleared, the Interfax news agency quoted Chief Sanitary Inspector Anna Popova as saying. No case of Ebola has been detected in Russia, she said, adding that due to high migration flows the country is not 100-percent guaranteed from the risk. Russian authorities are prepared not to let the virus spread into the country, with strict medical control imposed at the ports of entry, she said. At Moscow's airports visitors must walk through detectors that sound an alarm if the person's body temperature is above normal.

Link

A healthy Kenyan student was quarantined at a Russian hospital for 11 days on suspicion she was infected with the Ebola virus. After 11 days in isolation, she was cleared and is now back in class. Beatrice Mutave, a 21-year-old medical student from Nairobi, was said to have had a high temperature of 37.2 degrees during a random test conducted on African students at Volgograd Medical University, around 900 kilometres south of Moscow. - See more at: www.the-star.co.ke...

Link

The Russians are doing what US people think that cannot be done. Everything can be done, but some issues are being seen as using excessive force.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: dizzie56

i was wandering why America which is so obsessed with protecting its citizens from terrorists at great expense did not ban flights from Africa.seems if you die from terrorists it's very bad buy dying from ebola is acceptable..

on a side note why don't you people study blood electrification,colloidal silver,ozone bagging as treatments against ebola?
vast amount of information on the net.

yet you all waste time on celebrities like kim kardesion's underwear favorite color.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

So now ebola is in the US. When are going to stop the flights to West Africa? When are we going to stop letting people who are contaminated in? When are we going to learn that all we are doing is endagering ourselves?

First of all, flights in and out of these countries can't simply "stop". To do so would cause massive economic damage that is not justified by the imagined risk.

Second, how do you check thousands of people a day for a virus that doesn't present itself as easily as people here seem to assume? Should everyone coming off a flight be quarantined for a week or two?

While this threat should not be underestimated, there is a lot of nonsense and BS fear-mongering out there (on here) that simply doesn't make sense and is really quite ignorant.

Ebola is transmitted through bodily fluid. It is NOT airborne. It is treatable. It hasn't mutated. The reason there have been so many deaths in other countries is because they have very poor medical services, spread out over a massive area, with little communication and little education. The same would NOT HAPPEN in the USA for the reasons stated.

All flights in and out of west african countries could stop, economic reasons or not. Its not that hard. The government grounded ALL flights right after 9/11 so its not impossible.

If they have to quarantine people who are coming in and out of west african countries for a couple weeks then so be it. Again, its not that hard. They quarantined almost the entire Japanese population during WW2 for fear of them being spies. Also, I believe that if you are traveling to certain countries you should know the consequences of your actions like if you travel to west africa you have a chance of contacting ebola or being abducted if you go to the middle east or certain parts of central/south america.

Also, I dont consider it fear mongering when a disease makes you bleed out of orifices that you never thought you would bleed out of. And there is NO cure for it as of yet. Its really not that treatable. The treatment is to drink/iv fluids as much as possible and cross your fingers right now...thats it. Well, besides the experimental drug that was taken by the dr. who went over to west africa and dosed himself as a last ditch effort. But even that isnt totally proven yet. Also with it being so spread out in west africa it has a great potential for mutation. I just rather take caution and this just gives me another reason not to go to texas.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join