It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

CDC mobilizing: Dallas Hospital confirms First Positive Ebola Case in the US

page: 66
<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 04:20 PM
Just now jumping in. On my local news, they said there is another POSSIBLE Ebola case in Washington D.C. I just heard it on cbs 3 news....I'm still watching......

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 04:32 PM

originally posted by: whatnext21

originally posted by: graceunderpressure

Here is my guess...
The EMT's that were with him in the ambulance, the Drs that treated him on the 1st and 2nd visits, the nurse that did the triage on the 26th, the four or so in the house, and I think they have severely underestimated it to be only 10 IMHO.

I believe there are 4 adults and 5 children.

That's 10 including the patient. I don't think they are including the Doc's, EMT's & Nurses that came in contact.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 04:35 PM

originally posted by: j.r.c.b.
Just now jumping in. On my local news, they said there is another POSSIBLE Ebola case in Washington D.C. I just heard it on cbs 3 news....I'm still watching......

Now there are actually two new possible Ebola cases in the greater Washington, D.C. area, at two different hospitals.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 04:37 PM
Here it is...

"Paramedics who transported Ebola patient test negative
Posted: Oct 01, 2014 8:01 AM CDT
Updated: Oct 01, 2014 11:08 AM CDT"

So why would they test those guys but not her? And if they did test her why wouldn't they have reported that she tested negative??

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 04:41 PM
I'm going to go ahead and say it. That was a big middle finger to the cdc from Dixie land. "Look cdc we don't need your bumbling asses to handle this properly."

I commend them. Things seem to move a lot quicker when alphabet agencies don't get in the way. I'm willing to bet they do have fast private tests and the cdc has to push a paper around the country before they can even get a permission slip to take one.

Or they are using some sort of HIV positive vs aids mentality and simply saying he doesn't have Ebola at this time -__-

Second thought, far more likely, he is exhibiting symptoms similar to Ebola in the early stages and if he did happen to have it they could tell right away by then with a simple blood test.
edit on 3-10-2014 by nukedog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 04:45 PM
a reply to: loam

More today about Jallah and Yaw, the couple not really in quarantine as explained earlier...

CDC have not contacted second family in Ebola 'quarantine' for 24 hours - and now they are coughing and sneezing

Relatives of Ebola victim Thomas Eric Duncan who were put under observation by CDC after they visited him on the day he was taken to hospital are still waiting for an answer about what they should do 24 hours after they begged them for help.

Aaron Yah, 43, and wife Youngor Jallah, 35, yesterday told of their ordeal in isolation and revealed that they had not received direct orders to stay indoors.

Today MailOnline returned to the family's small apartment to find a family without answers, without power following violent electrical storms that brought down lines and running low on food, water and diapers for their youngest child.

Most troubling of all some family members are beginning to show cold-like symptoms.

Ms Jallah repeatedly wiped her eyes - which appeared sticky - with a paper towel while a child sneezed and coughed in the background. While it is unlikely to be related to the Ebola virus, they did not look as healthy as they did when MailOnline visited on Thursday.

Ms Jallah said: 'We asked the CDC last night if we have to stay indoors and they said they would come back to us overnight and tell us this morning.'

The CDC had been in contact with them over the last few says, checking their temperatures and blood pressures.
But it was close to midday when Youngor spoke and the family was still waiting for officials to visit and answer their questions from Thursday.

The couple live in the home with their four children: three boys aged two, four and 11 and a daughter, aged six.

The family has also had no instruction about how to dispose of the waste already accumulating in their small second floor apartment. The waste, which may be contaminated, includes soiled diapers.

Remember this couple worked through Wednesday in medical roles and have been permitted to shop for their needs and have visitors.

What a cluster #.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 04:48 PM

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme
I think he was arrested overnight, maybe early morning hours. So less than 12 hours probably. Still a whole lot less time than the DC cases (at least one of them). Weird. Very.

a reply to: antar
Wow. Caught that too. And so nonchalantly.

I thought the testing to confirm the presence of the Ebola virus takes 24 to 48 hours?

24 hours for negative & and additional 24 hours to confirm a positive if the initial test doesn't pass would be my guess.

Test results for the Ebola virus typically take 48 hours.

The hospital said it will take 24 to 48 hours for testing to be completed,

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 04:51 PM
a reply to: loam
From reading your previous post, Jalla was the one who bought a $50 blanket at Walmart and used it to cover patient z, and she also brought it with her (in her car) to the hospital, right? So, a fulminating bit of cloth, covered with a biohazard, had quite a journey. And yet none of the good ole boys have stepped forward to help.
Attempted murder charges would be levied against anyone who put a person in a potentially fatal situation. Oh, unless you are Dr. Freaky/CDC/Dallas GOBoys.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 04:55 PM
Maryland now

ROCKVILLE, Md. - A Montgomery County, Maryland hospital says they're treating a patient with flu-like symptoms who has a travel history that matches criteria for possible Ebola, but the patient has not been diagnosed with Ebola at this time.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 04:58 PM
Great....just great....Ebola is not the kind of thing we should be issuing exemptions for, one would think.

Feds lowering safety standards for Ebola waste, group charges

An emergency preparedness group is charging the federal government with lowering safety standards for disposing of Ebola waste in Dallas.

The Healthcare Coalition for Emergency Preparedness (HCEP) issued a statement Friday blasting anticipated federal guidance to allow the Dallas hospital to transport and dispose of the waste.

The guidance is expected to overcome a regulatory conflict that orders hospitals to discard Ebola waste like any other biohazard but effectively prevents waste management companies from transporting the material.

HCEP Executive Director Darrell Henry said that in order to minimize risk, the Dallas hospital should have its own waste sterilizer on site or transport the Ebola patient to a facility that does.

"There is no reason for [the Department of Transportation] to lower safety standards when there are affordable, existing technologies commonly used today that allow hospitals to properly and safely treat substances infected with Ebola on-site," Henry said in a statement.

"Appropriately disinfecting waste on-site instead of trucking it across the city will help promote confidence in our health system and government agencies' ability to protect the public."

Waste management is an enormous challenge in caring for Ebola patients, who generate significant volumes of bodily fluid that are active with the virus.

They turned down a sterilizer?

A person aware of negotiations with Texas Health Presbyterian said the hospital apparently turned down a sterilizer offered by Bryan Whitfield Memorial Hospital in Demopolis, Ala. The source did not know the reason for the decision.

The Department of Transportation guidelines are reportedly set to come out Friday afternoon.

Also an update on Ashoka Mukpo, the freelance cameraman for NBC who tested positive for Ebola in Liberia; he is being transported to Omaha, Nebraska and should arrive Monday.

He will be the second American treated at the Nebraska Medical Center.

The Nebraska facility treated Dr. Richard Sacra last month after he also contracted the disease in Liberia.

Nebraska is one of the four biocontainment units in the U.S.

There is another unit at the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases in Fort Detrick, Md., one in Missoula, Mt., and a third at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, Ga., which is where Dr. Kent Brantley and nurse Nancy Writebol, the first two Americans to catch the disease, were treated.

Happy Friday!

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 05:04 PM
a reply to: MrLimpet

Interesting report on testing issues.

Duncan tested negative for the virus when he left Liberia

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 05:08 PM
More about duncan...

PinterestGoogle PlusRedditStumble UponDigg itLinkedInEmailClick to close7shares4

Local Baptist church in Dallas, Texas, said on Friday Thomas Duncan came to the U.S. to marry and 'start a new life in America' He was to wed Louise Troh, who is currently quarantined in apartmentDuncan had quit his job on Sept. 4 and had spent time as refugee in Ghana Unclear how long they'd been a couple but have at least one child together Troh has been in the U.S. since the 1990s and previously lived in Mass.,It is possible to wed in America after arriving on tourist visa

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 05:10 PM
Two patients in Virginia showing possible symptoms are being tested for Ebola, though they claim it is unlikely.

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Two patients in Virginia were tested for Ebola after displaying possible symptoms, however state health officials believe they do not have the virus.

Two VA Patients Tested

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 05:15 PM
a reply to: JustMike

TY, I wish I would have paid more attention to the guy in the news last night, I wonder where he got the 90 day number.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 05:21 PM
a reply to: k3d59

False-Negative Results of Plasma of Patients with Severe Viral Hemorrhagic Fever (Ebola)

Viral hemorrhagic fevers (VHF) are acute infections with high case fatality rates, associated with the risk of nosocomial transmission (3). A rapid confirmation of the clinical diagnosis is therefore required by methods such as antigen capture enzyme immunoassay and serologic detection of immunoglobulin M. With the development of PCR technology, it has become possible to rapidly test for viruses that cause VHF (4, 5, 10). We have recently confirmed a case of acute yellow fever with fulminating hepatic failure by reverse transcription-PCR (RT-PCR) (2). In spite of the very high viral RNA concentration in the plasma sample, it initially tested negative. A confirmation by PCR would have been missed if we had not tested a duplicate sample...

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 05:21 PM

A Chattanooga hospital has set a plan for a potential infectious patient with Ebola. NewsChannel9 explained Thursday how the Hamilton County Health Department kicks into gear in the threat of an outbreak, and on Friday, NewsChannel9's Briona Arradondo went inside Memorial Hospital where, just that morning, staff members were briefed on how to handle a suspected Ebola case.

Chattanooga Hospital Preps For Ebola

ETA: Finally loaded the video. It's planning, so far no patients.
edit on 3-10-2014 by Yeahkeepwatchingme because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 05:23 PM

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
Two patients in Virginia showing possible symptoms are being tested for Ebola, though they claim it is unlikely.

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Two patients in Virginia were tested for Ebola after displaying possible symptoms, however state health officials believe they do not have the virus.

Two VA Patients Tested

This is all so shocking & nerve wracking!! I'm still sitting here wondering why I passed the big CDC truck here in our small town in south jersey! I can't help wondering why they were in town. I keep hoping they were just passing through & not hiding anything.....I'm not worried for myself at all. I'm worried for my kids. I think a few more positive cases here in the U.S., & something serious should be done to stop this. What?? I don't have that's not possible to halt ALL flights anywhere for a short duration, it's already here, so what now??

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 05:25 PM
a reply to: Stormdancer777
Heaven only knows. Hopefully he was simply misunderstood something. That ninety-day figure doesn't really fit with anything. Not incubation periods, not doubling rates... Nothing. Perhaps they had some quarterly data figures and he misread from there. Hard to say.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 05:28 PM
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

That just sounds like good sense to me. They know cases might appear in their region (as they can just about anywhere because of modern transport), so they're being pro-active.

Better safe than sorry. After all, a level 4 bio hazard situation is not something that comes along every day. The protocols are much tougher and it's wise to know what must be done -- and especially must not be done.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 05:31 PM
My heart goes out to the baby and children. Terrible. I can't imagine

top topics

<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>