It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC mobilizing: Dallas Hospital confirms First Positive Ebola Case in the US

page: 53
<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: k3d59

Thank you.
Jillian

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Who is this guy?

Dr. Frieden defended the lack of a more robust screening process at airports in the United States, saying the costs would not be worth the potential benefits.

"Like any intervention, there are upsides and downsides," he said. “There are a lot of downsides. You slow travel, You end up costing people money. Who’s going to get screened? Who’s going to train them? If you have a positive, where are you going to bring them to?"

They don't care about slowing travel so Chertoff's evil body scanner company can get rich, they can give trillions to criminal banikers, but when there's an actual danger it's too expensive to check people coming from connecting flights from West Africa.

He should be fired for this attitude.

Source

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kentuckymama
a reply to: antarYou are awesome! Thanks for the positive thinking boost. I needed that.

Jillian

Just wanted you to know the two suspected in Kentucky were something that happened last summer and not a current situation according to this. That might make you breathe a little easier.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nicorette
Who is this guy?

They don't care about slowing travel so Chertoff's evil body scanner company can get rich, they can give trillions to criminal banikers, but when there's an actual danger it's too expensive to check people coming from connecting flights from West Africa.

Source

I think you are dead on accurate with this post.

Shutting down American air travel to and from West Africa is going to cost big corporations money. So, with blatant disregard for the public health risk, we elect to keep airlines open. What a croc of BS. Screening people coming from this region takes too, long and would also cost people money, so we elect to wait until they've interacted with the public for 5-10 days, and then pick up the pieces.

WTF

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nicorette
Who is this guy?

Dr. Frieden defended the lack of a more robust screening process at airports in the United States, saying the costs would not be worth the potential benefits.

"Like any intervention, there are upsides and downsides," he said. “There are a lot of downsides. You slow travel, You end up costing people money. Who’s going to get screened? Who’s going to train them? If you have a positive, where are you going to bring them to?"

Source

Who ever he is, he is an idiot. Those questions he is asking? They needed answers YEARS ago.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: drwill

OMG. It gets worse:

...He felt weak and cold, he told Troh’s daughter, Youngor Jallah.

So Jallah took a quick trip to Wal-Mart and bought a $50 brown cotton blanket. When she returned, she draped it over Duncan’s shoulders and then gently lifted him by his back to try to get him to drink some hot tea. That’s when she looked into his eyes and knew in her heart that things were very bad.

“I’ve been seeing Ebola on TV, how it starts, with muscle pain, red eyes. When I see his eye, it is all red, and I think maybe this time it is Ebola virus and I should be careful,” Jallah, 35, said in an interview with The Washington Post at her nearby apartment, where she and her family have been quarantined.

So according to the WP, she too is quarantined in her apartment in a different location??? Why have we not seen this reported elsewhere yet?

She took his temperature — 102 degrees.

“I’m going to call an ambulance,” she said.

Duncan tried to resist. He had been to the hospital once already, several days earlier, and all they had done was send him home with antibiotics. Jallah didn’t listen to him. She dialed 911.

“My daddy is going to the bathroom constantly,” she told the operator, referring to Duncan, whom she considers her stepfather.

Fifteen minutes later, two paramedics knocked on the door. Jallah greeted the two men but told them that they couldn’t enter until they put on gloves and face­masks.

“He just come from Liberia,” she explained. “For safety, don’t touch anything. Viruses.”

She didn’t use the word Ebola, she said, because she didn’t know whether it was the lethal virus. All she knew was that Duncan was very ill and that Liberia was being devastated by the hemorrhagic fever. The paramedics asked Duncan to walk to the ambulance, which he did, but they would not let Jallah give him the blanket.

The article continues:

Jallah didn’t wait to watch the ambulance leave. All she had on her mind was getting to the hospital as quickly as she could, she said. She headed to her red Toyota minivan with the blanket in her arms, joined now by two cousins she had picked up earlier on her way to the Ivy Apartments and her father, Joe Joe Jallah.

An hour later, the four family members were still sitting in the ER waiting room at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, waiting to hear when Duncan would be given a room.

“We’ll let you know,” a nurse said each time Youngor Jallah asked.

So the family continued to wait, watching people come and go through the emergency room. All the while, the neatly folded blanket that hours earlier had covered the first person in this country to be diagnosed with Ebola lay on the chair next to Jallah. The virus can be contagious on surfaces from a few hours to a couple days depending on the material and exposure to sunlight.

More....

Finally, she was told that Duncan had been moved into a room on the first floor.

“But he’s in isolation,” a hospital staffer said. “No visitors.”

Reluctantly, Jallah and the others left the hospital and returned to Troh’s apartment. While a cousin swept the floors, Jallah placed the blanket she had bought back on her mother’s bed, sprayed disinfectant throughout the apartment and sprinkled liquid Clorox on the furniture.

“Oh, you just bought that blanket,” her mother complained.

But Jallah was insistent. Later, she bought her mother sanitizers, a makeshift mattress and two new blankets.

No one in the family has seen Duncan since he left the apartment Sunday morning in an ambulance.

Also living in Troh’s apartment at the time were her son Timothy Wayne, 13, and two men in their 20s, a relative named Oliver Smallwood and a friend named Jeffrey Cole. The four are now quarantined in the apartment.

The night before Duncan was taken to the hospital, Jallah and her partner, Aaron Yah, had left their daughter and three sons, ages 2 to 11, with Troh for the night.

The children usually spent part of each evening with their grandmother because Jallah’s job as an overnight nursing assistant overlaps with Yah’s as a health aide. That Saturday night, the four kids slept overnight on their grandmother’s ­couches.

On her way to the Ivy Apartments on Sunday morning, Jallah had called Yah to tell him that Duncan was ill and that he should come right away to take the children home.

Three days later, on Wednesday evening, Jallah and Yah were visited in their second-floor apartment by health officials from the state and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The officials took everyone’s temperature and told them that they should not leave the apartment.

But then...

“We don’t have any food,” Jallah said. “What do we do?”

She was told that she and Yah, but not the kids, could go to the store. The two health officials also said they would return every day to see how the family was doing.

On Thursday afternoon, as their 6-year-old daughter drew in a coloring book, the other children were flopped on the couches in the family’s living room, the big-screen TV turned to CNN. Crushed crackers and bits of toys littered the dark-brown rug.

Both Jallah and Yah seemed to be taking the restrictions in stride, although neither is able to go to work. More important, they say, all of them remain healthy.

On Wednesday, Jallah spoke with her mother, who told her daughter that she was feeling fine.

“Just pray to God,” Jallah said to her mother. “There’s nothing we can do. Ask God for everyone to be okay.”

Jallah and Yah are careful not to shake the hands of visitors and when someone leaves, they use a sanitizing wipe to turn the doorknob to let the person out.

www.washingtonpost.com...

I know I've quoted a lot of material, but each sentence just blows my mind. Moreover, I think it's important to document the precise words, in case they change for some reason.

That blanket was dragged through the ER and stayed there for hours.

The daughter is a nursing assistant and continued to work until today. Her 'husband' also present at the time is a health aid, presumably also working until today.

She and Yah are allowed to go shopping. They are allowed to have visitors.

THAT'S quarantine???????

I hope Texans are especially lucky.
edit on 2-10-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Oh my word.

The children usually spent part of each evening with their grandmother because Jallah’s job as an overnight nursing assistant overlaps with Yah’s as a health aide. That Saturday night, the four kids slept overnight on their grandmother’s ­couches.

I think I'm going to be sick.

edit on 2-10-2014 by ValentineWiggin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Loam, I found myself just gasping at every line of your post! The horror is just astonishing -- the children, the blanket, the waiting room visit... holy crap, wiping the doorknob for exiting visitors???

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

The CDC is falling utterly short on upholding their resposibilites in regards to public health.

Frieden should be fired.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
A goldmine and a horror story all rolled into one.
The CDC has left so many loose ends, just like the cracker crumbs on Jalla's rug.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonyMason
A public outcry is needed. Dr. Freaky needs to be kicked to the curb.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I've now read the two article's I've posted several times. It's clear we are not taking this seriously.

For all the naysayers citing how sophisticated we are and what wonderful infrastructure we have to protect us, come tell me that in 21 days.

Morons. Meet the new deniers.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Not just fired, but prosecuted for endangering the public health. Frieden just made a public statement that the bottom line for corporate interests is more important than our health and well being. Government officials are nothing more than corporate thugs, and they know that they are untouchable.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Oh you shouldn't worry too much, unless of course there is a confirmed connection to a low income group :p

Captain Tripps!
Can't wait to go to Vegas and join the dark side.....

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
So true.
Even if the Dallas debacle is somehow contained, Big E isn't going to curl up and die. It will keep hitting back.
We'll never be able to drop our guard.

edit on 2-10-2014 by drwill because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Witness2008

Yeah, I agree completely. It really is disturbing when the director of the CDC clearly holds corporate proffit in a higher regard than public health. I mean, shouldn't that be your sole and only concern? Who gives a crap about slowing down travel or who loses money! We're talking about the increasing potential for an ebola outbreak in the United States. That should be the only thing the director is worried about.

I agree with loam, as well. Being a 'first world' nation isn't going to mean dick if there is a massive outbreak of ebola. Time for the deniers to see the clear danger this poses to Texans, and the entire country.
edit on 2-10-2014 by AnonyMason because: sp

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
How dare Dr. Freaky! I used to travel quite a bit, and I can't tell you how many times I've narrowly missed a flight--and missed flights--due to delays in security lines. I've even had a carry on bag stolen because it went ahead of me and the passenger in front of me was detained due to an innocuous object in her carry on. I, like all other passengers, took all of the TSA crap in stride. I'm sure travelers would gladly endure delays if it meant something was at least being done to curb Ebola (and other bugs). And if it costs more... well, so do Hazmat suits.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Speaking of public health. Anyone wonder who our Surgeon General is and what's he doing or saying? Or more importantly, what about the new Secretary of Health?

*crickets*

edit on 3-10-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
A lame duck surgeon general?

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam

OMG. It gets worse:

Thanks for posting this and I agree with your comments wholeheartedly .

But whoa, what a weird spin from the Washington Post. The dog waggers have certainly been working overtime on damage control. I literally became nauseated as I read the article.
edit on 3-10-2014 by hurdygurdy because: Didn't mean to quote entire article

new topics

top topics

<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join