It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

CDC mobilizing: Dallas Hospital confirms First Positive Ebola Case in the US

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 03:09 AM

originally posted by: ikonoklast
NBC news has released some new information that is extremely disconcerting:

Ebola Victim Thomas Eric Duncan's Nephew: I Had to Call CDC

The first person diagnosed with the Ebola virus in the U.S. wasn't appropriately treated for suspected infection until after a relative personally called the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention...

...Thomas Eric Duncan, 42, was initially sent home from Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas when he showed up on Sept. 26 complaining of fever and abdominal pain. He had to return two days later in an ambulance.

That was the day "I called CDC to get some actions taken, because I was concerned for his life and he wasn't getting the appropriate care," Duncan's nephew, Josephus Weeks, told NBC News on Wednesday night. "I feared other people might also get infected if he wasn't taken care of, and so I called them to ask them why is it a patient that might be suspected of this disease was not getting appropriate care?"

...Weeks said the CDC referred him to the Texas Department of Health and Human Services, which spoke to him and then took appropriate action. "I called the CDC and they instructed me of the process, and that got the ball rolling," Weeks said.

A CDC spokesman told NBC News the agency could neither confirm nor deny Weeks' account. The hospital did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

So first the hospital didn't pass on the information that he had been in Liberia to the doctors treating him the first time and he was sent home with antibiotics.

Then his nephew had to personally call the CDC and ask them why they wouldn't take proper care of someone believed to have Ebola.

But even that wasn't enough. Instead of the CDC taking initiative and immediate action, they instead put the responsibility on the nephew and told him that he should call the Texas Department of Health and Human Services.

Fortunately the nephew did all of this and kept calling and bugging people until an ambulance finally picked up his uncle and took him back to the hospital! If the nephew had not taken the initiative when the hospital and the CDC did not, things would be far worse!

But don't worry, the director of the CDC says he has no doubt they will be able to contain this. That seems pretty hard to believe considering how this has been handled so far.

I would like to believe that the CDC and hospitals in America are better prepared to contain and treat Ebola than medical facilities in west Africa. But if the nephew's story is true, it's mind boggling. Denial, incompetence, lack of initiative, irresponsibility, and overconfidence on the part of the CDC and medical professionals seem like an astoundingly bad way to approach this.

Yea if this is true the CDC needs to step up their game. This isn't going to cut it. What's going to happen if someone gets the virus, panics, and goes on the run? You're not going to have a responsible individual in every case.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 03:26 AM
a reply to: ikonoklast

Oh my goodness!!! His nephew had to call the CDC? The CDC pushed the responsibility onto DHHS? What the $!!!!?#&@!!!!!

This is an all around FAILURE for everyone involved.

& let's not forget patient zero & his GF, nurse dingbat!!! The two most selfish people in the world.

The more we find out the angrier I get!

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 03:42 AM
a reply to: nerdyclutzyblonde

Yes, exactly.

Thank goodness his nephew had some common sense and a sense of responsibility and didn't stop trying to get help.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 03:48 AM

originally posted by: windowpane
What's going to happen if someone gets the virus, panics, and goes on the run? You're not going to have a responsible individual in every case.

Yes, people have gone on the run multiple times we know of in Africa. One was trying to get to Minnesota, and only the fact that he got too ill first stopped him. But all 20 cases and 8 deaths in Nigeria trace to that one man. And one of the people he infected also went on the run and spread it to another part of Nigeria. Fortunately, Nigeria appears to have gotten it under control now.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 04:25 AM

originally posted by: MarkJS

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: MarkJS

It's not really as difficult as you think. They should stop all flights out of infected countries to ANY other country.
Only specific approved flights for relief efforts should be permitted out of the affected countries, and they should be strictly monitored and controlled.

Sorry... Sounds good, but fraught with holes in the logic. In that scenario, people would just have to first travel to a country that is allowing flights to other locations, then board there to go where-ever.

To try to explain it a bit clearer: While the US is a superpower, and can ban all direct flights W. Africa to/from the US, it cannot ban flights, for example // to Liberia to/from Somalia, // or Liberia to/from S. Africa, // etc. Banning direct flights to/from W. Africa to the US just extends their flights one more leg / stop-over, before flying to the US.

If they did make a law to ban all direct flights to/from W. Africa to the US, I don't think that the other surrounding countries would be too pleased - to all of a sudden have to deal with a huge flows of Ebola refugees coming to their airports looking for flights to the US. It could get to be a sticky situation.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 04:36 AM
a reply to: FamCore I like the map you shared, but why does it say one person dead and 1500 infected when I click on Dallas? It also says biological hazard in multi-states but gives no description on what exactly. My own state, Oklahoma, has the bio hazard!

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 04:37 AM
So apparently this man flew via Brussels to Washington then onto Dallas on sept 19/20

awesome, I was flying through Europe on sept 19/20 as well, via Paris CDG. it's scary to think myself and this man could have used the same rest room or been in contact with similar people in airport terminals

I'm also on my way to Brussels now before getting back on a long haul flight to Aussie.

Scary indeed..

Apparently this patient was vomiting in the streets after his initial doctor visit and also the morning the ambulance got him. this isn't good..

I've been in hostels for 5 nights in Paris and Netherlands and everyone's as sick as a dog. Bad coughs, fevers, there's some crook people around and I'm getting concerned this thing could explode.

Here's a bigger fear..

What's to stop Isis sending a few men to Liberia to handle dead ebola bodies.. Then fly to Heathrow or CDG and touch / interact with as much as possible? a bio bomb waiting to happen

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 04:37 AM
a reply to: MarkJS Would it be so bad to quarantine them then? When someone that has been to that area enters the U.S. can't we quarantine for 21 days?

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 04:46 AM
a reply to: derfreebie
How much does zmapp cost?

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 04:47 AM

originally posted by: Agit8dChop

Here's a bigger fear..

What's to stop Isis sending a few men to Liberia to handle dead ebola bodies.. Then fly to Heathrow or CDG and touch / interact with as much as possible? a bio bomb waiting to happen
Don't give anyone any ideas!
I think your risk factor of exposure on that flight would be low because supposedly Ebola is not contagious until the individual displays symptoms. I believe if the news is correct that the man did not display symptoms until he was in Dallas. Now I do feel bad for anyone who may have been exposed at the hospital, in the ambulance (I know now they have set the ambulance aside but I am sure there were more individuals transported after him), and then all the people in the apartment complex. He supposedly was vomiting outside the complex. Also, from what I have read he had quit his job with Fed Ex prior to flying to the U.S. and was staying with a girlfriend at her apartment. She has five kids and while they are staying home, they are NOT being quarantined.They are free to go as they please. The kids were in school until mid-day yesterday at four schools in Dallas ISD.

I think it was very obvious he knew he was infected because he had helped to carry an Ebola infected pregnant lady and then she died the next day, and the other individuals around her that helped carry her also died as well. So I think when he hopped on the plane he figured if he did have Ebola he would get better medical care here. Now he did have a Visa to visit so that took pre-planning and his gf/family were here so I do think he planned on visiting the U.S. anyway, but I think he knew he was taking a risk at exposing others.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 04:48 AM
a reply to: option158 I read online they were out of it? The article I read stated they were out of it and could not give it to this man in Dallas. It was on the Daily Mail so take it with a grain of salt.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 05:18 AM

originally posted by: Witness2008
a reply to: ikonoklast

I have been following your chart page. Excellent work.

The next couple of months will be interesting.

Do you remember where you were when 9-11 happened? Same thing with Ebola in the US. Except that Ebola in the US comes in waves - wave after traumatic, destructive wave. Unfortunately, this is probably just the beginning.

Click on the links in my sig. They are there for just this purpose- to give you peace in times of trouble.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 05:31 AM

originally posted by: tinaballerina
a reply to: MarkJS Would it be so bad to quarantine them then? When someone that has been to that area enters the U.S. can't we quarantine for 21 days?

Sounds reasonable. I wish that they would.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 05:51 AM
a reply to: tinaballerina

Not totally true you can still get infected for someone with Ebola even if they're in the early stages. But it is really hard and rare it would take a blood transfer of some kind, so namely you'd have to be trying to get it or really stupid. But even with .001% odds the world always likes reminding me that it's still there.

Later stages of infection are different from person to person it all depends on your immune system. The stronger it is the longer it'll take. In the US the cook time could go all the way to 30 days due to our medical care and higher standers of living. But this does not lower the chances of death.

I worry about the kids that where near him. Depending on how well he knew them they could be infected. Kids are more likely to spread a virus then an adult. If a kid looks ill a lost of adult and just about all parent will try and comfort the kid.

Three stops in his flight, staying with his girlfriend that has five kids and being in the later stages of infection but not doing anything about it. Yup this is not looking good. I do think we can still get a handle on this, we've not lost full control over it yet. But so far the amount of effort put forth by the government to stop this has been sad.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 05:53 AM

The US should not have to make laws regarding flights. This is not just a US problem, its a threat to every other country as well.

The airlines themselves should refuse to transport people from infected countries. Of course, it is going to take tremendous public pressure to do this as it affects their bottom line, unless airlines suddenly get a conscience. This would be the right and socially moral thing to do.

You are correct that it might be difficult to stop people from traveling on land to other countries and taking flights from there. The infected countries should close their borders and neighboring countries should close their borders as well. It is not fool-proof but it would at least be something to slow transmission.

This may sound extreme, and not the way America works, but until a cure or vaccine is proven then extreme measures must be taken. People need to step up and be responsible.

I am aware that if Ebola would come to my town, this type of protection could affect the liberties of myself and my family. But I have actually already planned ahead. If a quarantine ever goes into effect, we are prepared to do the responsible thing and hunker down and stay home. Hopefully it would not last longer than we have provisioned for. Everyone else should prepare for such an eventuality, so if a quarantine happens they are prepared to do the right thing.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 05:54 AM
Possible Ebola in HA

They won't confirm but it sounds like they have a possible Ebola case in Hawaiia. So that's it then. They will just keep flying in I guess.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 06:39 AM
a reply to: nukedog

Odd if it is true. Is there any word in how this person might have gotten Ebola in the first place? If it's a different strain? If it is it could be one of the not so bad ones...20% chance of death is still better then 80%.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 06:49 AM
a reply to: ObjectZero

Dr. Viray wouldn’t confirm any details about the patient, symptoms, or if the person had recently traveled to West Africa. But she did say red flags for Ebola include fever and recent travel to that area. “Why is this person being isolated?” KHON2 asked. “What we’ve asked the hospitals to tell us about is anyone with a travel history, and anyone with a fever. And when those things come together, we’ve asked them to be very careful and in an abundance of caution while you’re working, for whatever else might be going on, also make sure you isolate against Ebola, just in case,” she said. “So it sounds like this person does have a fever and recently traveled to West Africa,” KHON2 asked. “Again, I can’t be the one to confirm that,” Dr. Viray said.

So basically they did the right thing and once they found out he was recently in west Africa they took the proper measures. They won't confirm until the get the test done or even then I'm not sure they will confirm.

Just wanted to point out these people are flying around still.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 07:04 AM

They did last night.

Ebola Patient's Family Ordered to Stay Home for Two Weeks

Texas health officials have ordered four family members who had contact with the Dallas Ebola patient to stay home and not have visitors to prevent the potential spread of disease. The order, hand delivered to Thomas Eric Duncan's relatives Wednesday night by Texas Department of Health Services officials, legally requires the family to comply until at least Oct. 19, when the incubation period has passed and the family is no longer at risk of having the disease. The order also requires the family to be available to provide blood samples and agree to any testing required by public health officials.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 07:07 AM
This new suspected case in Hawaii, the officials are refusing to tell where the patient came from.

new topics

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>