It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

CDC mobilizing: Dallas Hospital confirms First Positive Ebola Case in the US

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:11 PM
a reply to: megabogie

Regarding the tourist visa, I'm trying to figure out a timeline.
So Patient Z quit his job on Sept 4.

For the past year, Mr. Duncan had worked as a driver at Safeway Cargo, the Liberian customs clearance agent for FedEx, said Henry Brunson, the company’s manager. Mr. Duncan quit abruptly on Sept. 4, giving no reason. But Mr. Brunson said he knew that Mr. Duncan had family members in the United States.

Was this the motivation?

In Monrovia, Mr. Duncan had lived in a neighborhood called 72nd SKD Boulevard, for two years, living by himself in a small room that he rented from the parents of the ill young woman he helped carry, Emmanuel and Amie Williams. Mr. Duncan had told them and his neighbors that his son lived in the United States, played baseball, and was trying to get him to come to America.

And this?

“His sister came from the United States and he asked for a day off so that he could go meet her at the Mamba Point Hotel,” Mr. Brunson said, mentioning a hotel popular among foreigners. “He quit a few weeks after that.”

So had he planned his first trip to the US? And right before he left, he helped the dying pregnant woman? Or was her death the catalyst? Impossible questions, I know.
edit on 1-10-2014 by drwill because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-10-2014 by drwill because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-10-2014 by drwill because: quote error

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:12 PM
One confirmed Ebola case on Aug. what a community is facing today...this is beyond serious.

MAKENI, Sierra Leone — “Where’s the corpse?” the burial-team worker shouted, kicking open the door of the isolation ward at the government hospital here. The body was right in front of him, a solidly built young man sprawled out on the floor all night, his right hand twisted in an awkward clench.

The other patients, normally padlocked inside, were too sick to look up as the body was hauled away. Nurses, some not wearing gloves and others in street clothes, clustered by the door as pools of the patients’ bodily fluids spread to the threshold. A worker kicked another man on the floor to see if he was still alive. The man’s foot moved and the team kept going. It was 1:30 in the afternoon.

In the next ward, a 4-year-old girl lay on the floor in urine, motionless, bleeding from her mouth, her eyes open. A corpse lay in the corner — a young woman, legs akimbo, who had died overnight. A small child stood in a cot watching as the team took the body away, stepping around a little boy lying immobile next to black buckets of vomit. They sprayed the body, and the little girl on the floor, with chlorine as they left.

As the Ebola epidemic intensifies across parts of West Africa, nations and aid agencies are pledging to respond with increasing force. But the disease has already raced far ahead of the promises, sweeping into areas that had been largely spared the onslaught and are not in the least prepared for it.

The consequences in places like Makeni, one of Sierra Leone’s largest cities, have been devastating.

“The whole country has been hit by something for which it was not ready,” said Dr. Amara Jambai, director of prevention and control at Sierra Leone’s health ministry.

Bombali, the district that includes this city, went from one confirmed case on Aug. 15 to more than 190 this weekend, with dozens more suspected...

It started with one...

Ebola swamps a city unprepared

Horrifying doesn't even come close. Officials need to stop placing embargoes on stories and saying everything is fine. Protective supplies, staff and training need to be

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:19 PM
a reply to: drwill

Wow! Great research there! I would say it look planned to me. I was looking into Visas and it's a drawn out process where they are interviewed at the embassy. The only specific time line I could find was that you should start at least3- 6 weeks before the planned trip.

I'm off to read your links. Thank you!

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:21 PM

Good researching on your part!

Megabogie - I don't always eat crow pie, but when I do I admit it.... Looks like I jumped the gun on you earlier, I apologize.

I will, however, stand by the fact that he knew what he had the first time he went to the hospital.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:30 PM
a reply to: Doodle19815

And I do agree with you that he knew he had it then. No need to eat crow or apologize...that's why we're all discuss and learn. Good bantering with ya!

(post by stardust22 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:34 PM
I found an online estimator for the wait to get a visa..Monrovia shows a 23 day wait for an interview

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:36 PM
a reply to: megabogie
That's a significant find. Thank you!

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:36 PM
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

That is pretty grim. I can not even imagine the horror that those nurses and doctors are going through.

I'm not so sure that our medical facilities would fair much better with a similar out break. The last emergency room I was in here in St. Louis was over crowded and filthy, and that was just the regular routine illnesses and injuries.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:38 PM

Thank you for asking the question. I've traveled a lot yet it didn't occur to me look into the visa aspect.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:38 PM

originally posted by: K_OS
At least they are checking people for fevers before they allow them on planes. It's a good thing there are no medicines like Tylenol or Ibuprofen that mask fevers. /end sarcasm

Good point. And brought me to this thought: a symptomatic person wishing to flee Ebola-land and head to 'the promised land' of modern medicine could drink something really cold (or chew on some ice) while waiting their turn to have a thermometer shoved in their mouth.

Also, who's doing these fever checks? Liberians? Because they just might turn a blind eye to lessen the load on their own country.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:40 PM

originally posted by: Doodle19815
I will, however, stand by the fact that he knew what he had the first time he went to the hospital.

One other possibility might explain his early actions. One of the many articles that I read today said that the Liberians are very mistrustful of their government, and some believe that Ebola is a hoax (that it's actually a government scam).

When Ebola first appeared in Liberia, many of the people in the country thought it was a scam crafted by the government to attract funds from international donors. This meant that Ministry of Health messages on precautions to avoid transmission fell on deaf years. Coupled with a culture that values close interactions with friends and loved ones and beliefs that medical ailments can sometimes result from “juju,” a kind of voodoo magic, residents’ mistrust of government has carried Liberia to its current state of crisis.

One morning in July, Satta Watson woke up to see about 150 people standing outside of the window of her home in Monrovia. Seven people had died in her neighbor’s family across the street in the previous month, but many community members doubted that Ebola was the cause of the deaths. That morning, the community gathered to prevent representatives of the Ministry of Health, accompanied by local politicians, from taking away another ill neighbor.

That said, there's no doubt that he knew he was exposed to something nasty before boarding that plane. 'Wonder if he already had the visa because of what was happening around him. Then, when he was exposed, he decided it was time to use it and go. We'll probably never know. I do agree with you though, Doodle -- I think by the time he went to the hospital, he knew.
edit on 10/1.2014 by graceunderpressure because: Clarify that I'm arguing with Doodle

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:42 PM

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
From my post on september 4th:

Make note of the size of the expected outbreak in the US according to the graphic above.

It's only a matter of time, some researchers are warning, before isolated cases of Ebola start turning up in developed nations, as well as hitherto-unaffected African countries.

This is something ATSers have been saying for weeks, even months, now and it is only recently being reported as being said in the scientific community.

The probability of seeing at least one imported case of Ebola in the U.S. is as high as 18 percent by late September, researchers reported Tuesday in the journal PLOS Currents: Outbreaks. That's compared to less than 5 percent right now.

As time goes by, it becomes more of a certainly; when, not if.

And its here now, no longer when...

There's a 25 to 28 percent chance that an Ebola case will turn up in the U.K. by late September. Belgium, France and Germany will have lower risk. "But it's not negligible," Vespignani says. "Sooner or later, they will arrive."

The closer to Africa the more likely it is to show, and sooner.

The researchers calculated the impact of severe restrictions on flights from Ebola-affected regions. An 80 percent reduction in air travelers would do no more than delay the impact of Ebola by a few weeks. (A 100 percent choke-off of air travel is considered impossible.)

Impossible by choice.

"Unless you can completely shut down the transportation systems, these kinds of efforts will, at best, buy you a little time," Longini says. "And they can be quite counterproductive because you're interrupting the flow of help, goods and services. It can make the epidemic worse in the country that's being quarantined."

All commercial traffic should have been halted weeks ago and only allow aid/food/supply flights, but that was deemed too damaging economically.

A Few Ebola Cases Likely In U.S., Air Traffic Analysis Shows

First off, I'm trying to quote you. Sorry about any gaps in your post. Want you to know that it was not I who deleted your post, or part of your post. ATS will not allow >1 deep nested quotes any longer.

OK, just realized something as I'm reading through this thread... People want all flights to/from W. Africa stopped. Sounds reasonable.

But suppose a guy in W. Africa still wanted to go to the US? Would he not just find an alternate route? For example- patient zero it was reported flew to Belgium first, then to the US.

OK... No problem... We shut down all flights from Belgium to the US. It is contained.

Well then what if a guy in W. Africa really, really wanted to go to the US, but flew to London first... then changed planes in London to fly to the US?

OK... No problem... We shut down all flights from London to the US. It is contained...

So on and so forth. The solution to "stopping all flights to the US from W. Africa" is not as simple as it sounds. That is why they are saying that it is impossible. This is the rub: If we really want to stop all flights to/from W. Africa, by virtue of the wack-a-mole effect, all international flights in the entire world will have to be stopped. See the problem now? It's not just about stopping 4-5 flights a day, it's about stopping the progress of all the civilizations of the world - Western, Mid East, and Eastern. Are we willing to do this? Probably not. At least not at this point, IMO.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:43 PM
Slick. Just before the Mid-term elections.

Just another misdirect/diversion from out real time issues.....

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:45 PM

originally posted by: JustMike
a reply to: Doodle19815
Young people would do worse. Cytokine storms hit hardest in those whose immune systems work best.

That's the theory, based on the old Ebola outbreaks. All the pictures I've seen of survivors are 30's or younger, however.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:50 PM
The older Ebola literature from the 70's, as I recall, said that Ebola destroys connective tissue. If that is still true, a healthy circulatory system with lots of extra connective tissue is the best defense against the course of the disease, once it is in the body.

Vitamin C and protein are two good reasons why Ebola wont be as bad in the West.

Also the West has less skin to skin contact in public.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:58 PM
a reply to: MarkJS

It's not really as difficult as you think. They should stop all flights out of infected countries to ANY other country.
Only specific approved flights for relief efforts should be permitted out of the affected countries, and they should be strictly monitored and controlled.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 10:06 PM
Oh crap.. My local news ( I live in Central Texas) just said troops from Ft Hood will head to West Africa to help." target="_blank" class="postlink"> s-soldiers-to-fight-african-ebola

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 10:06 PM
He could have already had that visa.. and had the trip scheduled back to the U.S. - which would make more sense. Then it was just a matter of him deciding if he wanted to go on an already planned trip, or not go because there was the possibility that he was infected.

Unless someone was privy to his travel plans, I don't know why folks assume he planned this trip out of fear after he thought he might have been exposed to Ebola. He may have just continued on his already planned trip to visit family.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 10:12 PM

edit on Octpm10ufpm2014-10-01T22:13:15-05:0031uWed, 01 Oct 2014 22:13:15 -0500 by ManufacturedDissent because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>