It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is cheating natural?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

Well it's just as valid to point out that there are animals which mate for life, and will not even take another partner if their chosen mate dies, which is a sad, but also beautiful thing if you ask me.

Look, whether it is natural to cheat is not a matter for the whole species, but a matter of the individual. My mind is hardwired for loyalty beyond reason, and some minds are hardwired for the fast fix. It's not a matter of one blanket thing fits every psycho-sexual condition! That is not how human minds work.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

That's a ridiculous question. What is natural? Something that happens in nature? what is nature? Earth? So basically, if it happens, it's natural...

But seriously - Cheating is a lie, that's the only differentiation between cheating and just having a lot of sex. Cheating is when you make a commitment to someone, and break that promise; lie.

So sex is natural yes... Lying is natural yes.. So cheating is natural.. As natural as any human action. Is it morally acceptable? I think that would make for a better debate.
edit on bTuesday201423b by Infinitis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Do not complying or being honest to the idea of the group depend on the group you are surrounded by.

1. You have a group that come together that have equal power and say on how the group should work. Going against the group idea instead of leaving the group if you do not agree with the consensus is wrong since the group are trying to create a symbiosis.

2. You are forced into a group to play under the group rules and have no real power to really change the group. Sometimes within this group caring about the rules and not following them is a good thing since the group is un symbiotic in nature and only cares about keeping themselves safe while sacrificing your freedom of choice.

Current society and economic system is very much example 2 trying to make you believe it is example 1.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Cheating is a loser's way of winning. Winning at a game, which means something material is at stake, or egotistical pride. When it comes to knowledge, "cheaters never win" if the goal is knowledge, and this is the philosophy section so that should be the goal, then cheating is both unnatural and counter productive.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
"If you want monogamy, marry a swan."
--from Heartburn by Nora Ephron

This question doesn't really have a yes/no answer imho. One must factor in environment and family dynamics. The child of a narcissistic mother, for example, may grow into a narcissistic spouse who has little empathy for his/her partner and even less interest in maintaining family unity. Impulse control and OCD tendencies may have an influence also. I'd like to think that we humans aren't hardwired to keep the species alive by spreading DNA. That we can make a decision to be a swan.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Cheating is pretty much the loser's option. Or if you are desperate enough the question of whether or not to cheat is immaterial. It really comes down to your capacity to feel guilt. Guilt has been instilled in all of us pretty much from birth, its an effective control tool. If everyone suddenly felt no guilt about cheating and lying reality as we know it now would begin to unravel. Urgent measures would have to be taken to get us all back on track. Its a fascinating web that holds us all together.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
ehh that's how you pass some nasty diseases. I wouldn't condone such an action and if i was with a girl who did cheat i would leave her for fear if contracting a disease.

But that's just me i guess some people out there are like pokemon masters in this regard. Gotta catch em all.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Cheating or not cheating is a social condition just like cannibalism. Some societies promoted cannibalism and saw no problem with it. Some societies robed and plundered and saw no problem with it.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: guitarplayer

Eh i guess sleeping with so many lovers can be on par with cannibalism in the sense that they are plundering future wives.
Nowadays tho i think that has lost some value, At least to me i don't see many woman worth the presuit. I don't like being their *14th* guy or something LOL. I don't want what ever organisms that hitched a ride. That's how a percentage of the populations are inflicted with STIs and STDs. Take Africa for example, they say you have a 1 and 4 chance of running into someone with who's infected with HIV.

It infects the linage too, If it gets in the germ-line. Any diseases you pick up you pass off to you child too in most cases.
I think people are being careless and are brewing a soup of self destruction right now.

Just wait till STDs get worse, then the entire population will think twice about these *Wild times*

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
interesting topic.
Consider this, Cheating is supernatural.
Cheating is Temptation and the original temptation was
SuperNatural.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Does not cheating imply an agreed upon set of rules? I do not think that one bird agreed with another bird,"hey, lets not take one another's nests."
To my mind, cheating and hypocrisy go hand in hand. A mate who promises fidelity and then dallies with another is a "cheater". A person who sits at a poker table with an established gentlemans set of rules of the game and then pulls an ace from his cuff is a cheater.

To say that cheating is part of human nature I think is short of the point. Do children agree to rules willingly? I think not so much. They have always seemed to me to be rather free agents until they are inculcated with the working rules of their society. When, at an age that they agree with moving forward with their lives with those rules taken axiomatically and they then or later violate those rules, it is not that they are cheating someone else, or the system, but rather that they are violating the creation of themselves which in part was an agreement to those rules.

If there was a buton for "best answer"'. You just got it.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

People so often try and equate natural human behavior to animal behaviors to justify or whatever.

I can't see why anyone does this. Most animals won't go to war with their own kind or kill just for fun. it is natural for animals to smell butts, we are not animals why should we use that as an example?

We need to look to ourselves, what does it do for us or to us and those we love?

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee
it is natural for animals to smell butts, we are not animals why should we use that as an example?

Ahhhhhhh, butt smelling ----- natures perfume. No, humans have to manufacture the sensual aphrodisiac of scent.

Humans are animals.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Assuming you mean romantic/sexual relations, monogamy is probably not natural for humans. Our closest living relatives (chimpanzees and bonobos) are both essentially polygamous/sexually promiscuous. There's some evidence of prehistoric human civilizations practicing polygyny. There's actually, though, a pretty broad spectrum of sexual and romantic social structures historically amongst humans, including monogamy. (Sometimes monogamy is the best choice for survival of offspring. It's why a lot of bird species at the very least practice short-term monogamy.)

That said, just because it is natural does not mean it is moral. If a person wants to be in a polyamorous type relationship, you know what is also natural to humans? Talking about stuff.

(If you're just talking about "lying" or "swindling people" or whatever, that's probably also natural? There have been some experiments that show that intelligent animals [I recall an experiment with pigs] will lie to or cheat other animals of the same species. Again, just because it's natural doesn't make it moral. Murder is natural too. Doesn't make it moral.)
edit on 10/2/2014 by asilvahalo because: clarified a point

edit on 10/2/2014 by asilvahalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
On a biological standpoint, men's responsibilty is spread as much seed as possible(unlimited sperm production) and women(9 month gestation between reproduction) is to pick a good seed.

its called cheating because of what our current social structure...marriage, finance, medical advancements etc..

I would say "cheating" is natural. Tho you should let the person know the type of relationship you want at the start.
edit on 10/2/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Humans are animals.

Humans are mammals we are supposed to be humans.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: olaru12

I'd ask: "Is monogamy natural in the human species?"

I'd say NO.

I think the divorce statistics agree.

Personally I'd say polygamy or even polyamory is more natural to the human species.

Monogamy is man made. It might be for a good reason, such as prevention of spreading sexual diseases. Sanitation in early days was a problem. There's also the religious aspect. And blood lines.

Then why do humans have such possessive natures and jealousy? Most people feel pain when their lover wants more than one.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: idmonster

Well thank you id. But alas you and I can never be friends as you are a worshiper of the sacred shoes and I am a devout follower of the Holy Gourd.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I think it is natural. The problem is that we should always look to overcome those tenancies whether natural or not that are disruptive to balance.

I wont lie. I cheated before. I am a filthy cheater. I wont do it again though. I am also NOT sorry for it.

It was a beautiful experience. In the end it made me see how much I value my wife. It made me grow a bigger heart.

Its just one of those things. If you are honest enough with yourself and others you will benefit from your experiences. You WILL find balance. If not you will cling to the negative or the false positives. You will lose your balance. I could have said, "oh I feel love for this new woman", "I guess I love her now instead".

What I said was " I love this woman". I asked "what is love?"

I found a new definition for love. One that was deeper than anything I ever thought I knew. I could love two people and not feel less for one because of the other. I learned not to compare people. I learned to compare myself to who I wanted to be to the world. I learned I wanted to be a loving person.

When I looked at everything in retrospect from that vantage point I saw that I was more in love with my wife than I ever thought possible.

Thats why it was good for me. Us.

On the other hand, I have seen people jump from flower to flower looking for "love". They were just looking to figure out what love was to them, and then turning away from it and the necessary hard questions to figuring it out....because of fear of self. They lost everyone they found..."side piece" or not.

Cheating is not for everyone. It can be natural. It can be an abomination. It depends on the person..

edit on 10 2 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

originally posted by: olaru12

I'd ask: "Is monogamy natural in the human species?"

I'd say NO.

I think the divorce statistics agree.

Personally I'd say polygamy or even polyamory is more natural to the human species.

Monogamy is man made. It might be for a good reason, such as prevention of spreading sexual diseases. Sanitation in early days was a problem. There's also the religious aspect. And blood lines.

Then why do humans have such possessive natures and jealousy? Most people feel pain when their lover wants more than one.

I remember a documentary. It was of a bush people.

One wife was taking care of the home, the other was out in the field helping with crops.

The woman taking care of the home was asked if she got jealous of her husband having 2 wives. She replied: "That would be stupid. If I had to work in the field, who would take care of the home".

Mammals do have hierarchies, emotions, and jealousies.

But, IMO, human monogamy is mostly social conditioning.

I really don't think it's natural to the human species or psychologically healthy.

edit on 2-10-2014 by Annee because: Spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join