It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NFL penalizes Muslim player for praying

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
After every touchdown, stop the clock for ten seconds for celebration time, let players pray, dance, backflip, whatever. If they take longer than 10 seconds, delay of game penalty. Problem solved. Or just make it more boring by penalizing all forms of celebration. Personally I don't care, football is a boring game to watch IMO.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

Matt and Trey make fun of the ridiculous. This is ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid
Bahahaha Irish jigging in the endzone was nice. I like playing sports, I don't really like watching though. Boring as hellllllll. But then I suppose a lot of us that actually played a lot of sports feel the same. Of course my favorite to play is hockey

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: criticalhit

You seem to be confused...
The "National" in National Football League doesn't mean the league is state-run. It is a privately owned and operated institution and, as such, it is within its rights to create, enforce, and even choose to ignore any of its own rules as it see fit. That includes rules that may run contary to some Constitutional rights.

You have a right to turn off your television to avoid being subjected to displays of religiousness in the NFL. That is the extent of your freedom of religion in regards to the league. If the league believed that the majority of its fans were offended by Tebow's praying, and it was hurting their bottom line, I'm pretty confident we'd see the league place a ban on the prayer pose. The plain as day simple fact is we live in a world of majority rules in regards to private businesses and the capitalist marketplace and atheists and agnostics constitute a clear minority. I don't want to bluntly say you don't matter, because your cash is as good as anyone else's, but unless your outrage manifests itself in the form of significant loss of revenue, well... you don't matter.

originally posted by: criticalhit
it isn't "evolution" to be forced to deal with crazy superstitions the rest of us should have a degree of separation from such antics,

"There I was, my right arm held down by Chris Berman, my left arm pinned by Terry Bradshaw, Erin Andrews jamming toothpicks under my eyelids to keep me from blinking... forced to witness Husein Abdullah publically display his belie in and praise to a god."
How is anyone forced when they have an on/off switch on their TV? I believe you mean "I was faced with a difficult personal dilema of either changing the channel and missing the game I am entertained by due to my irreligious wont in life, or continue watching the game and whine about it later."

well aware the NFL isn't "State Run" lol

My point is when your HUGE enough that the majority of people in the nation will be exposed to your adverts, show, display...whatever, it probably would be a good idea to follow the basic guidelines your country followed in the first place... Separation of Church and State is meaningful, if I was the size of the NFL i'd probably limit public displays of your ideology on the very public playing field.

And yeah, I'd like it out of schools, off the side of the road and particularly i'd like those guys that knock on my door to go away (although blasting slayer and answering the door with "Have you heard about our lord and Savior Lucifer the Light Bringer" does make me smile)

Don't get me wrong, i'm pro freedom to "believe" basically what you like, I'm also pro Sodomy but I don't think that Tebow should be allowed to "bend over" the other teams Quaterback when he wins a game either. Nutty comparison? Not really... they are there to Play Football not make statements. Don't bring your personal "S))7" to work is pretty much a rule anywhere.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Brian Bosworth... used to line up behind an opposing QB he'd just sacked and pantomime laying down the pipe. I don't recall the refs ever flagging him for that, but I do remember Jumbo Elliott laying him out like he was a dead deer when Boz tried that crap on Phil Simms and the resulting backlash was flags and a fine against Jumbo. Your Tebow sodomy argument fails.

As I said, if offended, the offendee can either grow some degree of thickness to their skin or simply stop watching the game.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I'm on the other guys side on this one, it isn't "evolution" to be forced to deal with crazy superstitions the rest of us should have a degree of separation from such antics,

explain to me how you were FORCED to deal with his superstition again?

No offense but it seems to be that people have a lot thinner skin than they use to......

There is a difference between being FORCED and just being wayyyyyy to easily offended

edit on 9/30/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6
Sounds like an inconsistant rule then, no? The rule is supposedly to promote sportsmanship, is miming the anal rape of a QB not the epitome of unsportsmanlike conduct?

edit on Tue, 30 Sep 2014 19:55:22 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
Sounds like an inconsistant rule then, no?

Sounds like the bloody NFL for the last............ years. And I'm a fan.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

You do realize that when the separation of church and state was written is was for the sole purpose of stating that the United states as a whole wouldn't recognize one religion but would allow for all people of this nation to worship or not worship in your case whomever or whatever it is they like.

"Separation of church and state" (sometimes "wall of separation between church and state") is a phrase used by Thomas Jeffersonand others expressing an understanding of the intent and function of the Establishment Clause and Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. The phrase has since been repeatedly used by the Supreme Court of the United States.

The First Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ..." and Article VI specifies that "no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

Quoted from
en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I wouldn't really know about that. Only footbalkl I really watch, is on (american)thanksgiving day when I go to dinner at my uncle's, or we have dinner here. The other dudes are football fans and want to watch, so I tolerate it

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Save the religious stuff for after the game. Players are becoming actors so these antics are not surprising though.

Seems goofy that players get excited over a decent play when that is what they are paid millions to do. Maybe the fans should get to do something when they just play average.
edit on 9/30/2014 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Brian Bosworth... used to line up behind an opposing QB he'd just sacked and pantomime laying down the pipe. I don't recall the refs ever flagging him for that, but I do remember Jumbo Elliott laying him out like he was a dead deer when Boz tried that crap on Phil Simms and the resulting backlash was flags and a fine against Jumbo. Your Tebow sodomy argument fails.

As I said, if offended, the offendee can either grow some degree of thickness to their skin or simply stop watching the game.

No it doesn't lol... They draw into these guys private lives for anything they do, which is some what unconventional, yet what they do on the field is them at their job.

It's not about watch or don't watch, your being PAID to play Football, not express your personal beliefs, run it like a business, when your on the clock, your job is to play ball, what you do after is your own business, it crap, with the prayers and the statements and all the rest, my sanitation guy isn't allowed to flip me off if my can is 3 feet to the left or stop to pray in front of my cans lol... and neither am I allowed to do these things at work, it's common courtesy and being a professional.

And truthfully, if I was funding a team, I wouldn't want the players minds distracted by show boating prayers or anything else, it's called FOCUS man lol.... You can take the time to pray for a fallen team member in the locker room, in the meantime I can't see it as anything but a mental distraction that takes a guy off his game and he's making MILLIONS to Game and for a salary in the Millions if I was in charge he better damn well Game lol... The show boating is the same stuff, I went 22 fights in the ring when I was younger, I'd be damned if I ever stopped to "pray" after I landed a good shot or act like a goon... you want to stay focused and hit them again and cheering before you win is just foolish IMHO

I dunno, not honestly emotionally attached to this debate, I just think when your paid to do something go do it... I never much cared for the glory antics in the NFL period let alone stopping to praise Mohammed or Jesus or whatever. I'd clamp down on the whole aspect honestly.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

Bosworth was late 80's, man. The league instituted celebration and unsportsmanlike conduct rules because of players like him. The NFL used to be reactionary, which was smart... they didnt hunt for reasons to penalize and they didnt try to alter the essence of the game. The rules committee listened to the fans and to the players and only changed the rules if they had a compelling call to do so. Goodell has been different, constantly tinkering and modifying rules on the fly, often creating rules to fit ref/fan perceptions of the game rather than maintaining the existing nature of the game and expecting officials and the fans to accept that existing pedigree. I blame the tuck rule, to be honest. Even as a Raider HATER (serious on that one, if the Raiders were on fire in a room and I had a glass of water I'd drink the water and then wizz in the corner furthest from them) I admit the tuck rule was an asinine departure from NFL rulea making anu sense.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: falloutsover

You do realize that when the separation of church and state was written is was for the sole purpose of stating that the United states as a whole wouldn't recognize one religion but would allow for all people of this nation to worship or not worship in your case whomever or whatever it is they like.

"Separation of church and state" (sometimes "wall of separation between church and state") is a phrase used by Thomas Jeffersonand others expressing an understanding of the intent and function of the Establishment Clause and Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. The phrase has since been repeatedly used by the Supreme Court of the United States.

The First Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ..." and Article VI specifies that "no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

Quoted from
en.m.wikipedia.org...

"or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

You see that's the problem right there, the word "free" is pretty darn subjective.... and it's an un-winnable debate because of that.

"Free" to me follows the old "yelling fire in a movie theater" thing.

I'm "free" to do whatever I want UNTIL it subjects others to it, for example and i'll pick on my own, I was raised Jewish, the more religious among my neighbors decided that turning off their alarms on the Sabbath was prohibited and every Saturday these jerks would have their alarms going off all day and my life sucked because of it... That to me was NOT Freedom of religion that was being a douche bag and someone should fine them or something, a lot, like a G every time it happens IMHO because that violates my personal religious beliefs which I decided of my own accord involves frequent "nap" times for me to stay sane lol

Religion in general is funny topic, you know... my spirituality by nature is an INTERNAL thing, no one in theory actually can take that from me ever. 99% of any conflicts with religion involve "Outside" displays which are by nature things you inflict upon others beliefs...

Just saying, i'm not so sure anyone's relationship with the lord has to go beyond a temple or personal dwelling, I personally don't feel the need and these debates run the gamut in America into sexuality and other topics, i'm not even sure if we are dealing with "rights" here which is why I made the pseudo joke about Sodomy, there is a line and it's called POLITE in general to me, Sodomy is okay just not in the Produce aisle of the super market please sir....

edit on 30-9-2014 by criticalhit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
What the hell happened here?

Allow ME to pray:

Our patron, made of pigskin,
hallowed be thy game.
Give us this Sunday,
our weekly bread.
Forgive us our swears,
as we forgive those that swear against us.
Give us this day, a decent refereeing squad.
For thy control all. The power and the majesty... forever and ever.... Goodell.

Had you right up until the end but the Goodell part is actually relevant.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Whoa, no go niners in the prayer??

Awesome prayer tho lol

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Oh, I thought that you were talking about something more recent lol. Thanks for the education.
edit on Wed, 01 Oct 2014 03:05:30 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Oh look, he wants to be special. Keep catering to the bull# and you'll be beheaded.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join