It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NFL penalizes Muslim player for praying

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Oh boy ATS, prepare yourself for the incoming storm.

When Kansas City Chiefs safety Husain Abdullah intercepted a Tom Brady pass and returned it for a touchdown Monday night, he did what so many other NFL players do to celebrate a big play: He paused to make a religious gesture of thanks.

But Abdullah, a devout Muslim, found that his religious display was met with less latitude than, say, Tim Tebow when he brought Tebowing into the NFL. Abdullah was penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct because he slid to the ground, then knelt in the end zone.

Washington Post

By this morning, the NFL had clarified the ruling and stated that he should not have been penalized.

A strict reading of the rulebook reveals why Abdullah was flagged. Using the ground for celebration is not allowed, although Tebow was allowed to kneel. The penalty comes under Rule 12, Section 3, Article 1 (d) of the NFL rulebook, which states that “players are prohibited from engaging in any celebrations or demonstrations while on the ground” as part of the league’s crackdown on excessive, elaborate celebrations. Mike Pereira, the league’s former vice-president of officiating and now a Fox Sports commentator, pointed out that there is an exception to the rule: going to the ground in prayer.

But is this a little too late? I know that the NFL has back tracked and apologized, but will this still upset many in the Muslim community?

After all, the referee was quick to penalize him when he saw him doing that. Did the referee even know it was an Islamic prayer? Or did the referee just assume he was show-boating?

You be the judge:

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

edit on 103030p://bTuesday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: gatorboi117

I've always found that rescinding a call AFTER the game to make no sense. What are they going to do? Call both teams back, restart the clock at the play and have them play the game over? LOL

I thought he just looked tired after the run and was catching his breath. And I have no problem with a person giving thanks to his/her God if they feel that way.

With the exception of those idiots who give thanks after killing defenseless people. Those guys need to be penalized 15 yards...deep, and buried.
edit on 30-9-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Was he praying or simply catching his breath? Short prayer if it was.

Can't say.

Peace

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

But is this a little too late? I know that the NFL has back tracked and apologized, but will this still upset many in the Muslim community?

Oh no...they will be upset...

...I'm so getting used to that.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
that video does not show the slide so it's hard to tell if that could have been misinterpreted as show boating, as far as the video shows he was just praying and should not have been called a penalty. there is freedom of religion in this country not sure how the nfl observes those rules but they sure didn't have any problem allowing tim tebow to do his thing when he was in the league. i don't think the ref called the penalty because he was a muslim praying, at least i hope not, that would be wrong on so many levels.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

This is going to be a great story to follow...personally the only reason that I would care is that it may slow things down...you always see a football player put his hands together and pray to god or do the cross on his chest..If there is a rule that you cannot celebrate a touchdown but getting down on a knee or knees than so be it...

Pretty messed up that they let Tim get away with his famous prayer celebration...but two wrongs don't make a right

Very interesting indeed.

In this kindergaten country we live in just revise the rules and make it no celebrating, highfiving or showing any form of exhilaration when scoring..why should we celebrate the fruits of our labor...

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
No, they fined him for sliding into the endzone on his knees. It is the media outlets that are making this very much non story into something that it is not.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Based on the posted video, it appears his prayer pause was quite short-lived...and as such should not have been penalized any more than a Tebow moment, somebody making the sign of the cross and pointing heavenward, etc.

IMHO anyway.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
They have a new rule.

You can't go to the ground in celebration....Dumb

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
These referees dont really have any idea WHAT religion these guys are, nor do they have a vested interest in penalizing someone for their religious views. The flag was for excessive celebration/showboating. That being said, I dont believe that the penalty FOR excessive celebration was justified. I have seen much worse not get a flag, and I have also seen much less get a flag, but it is kind like holding, it could really go either way.
edit on 30-9-2014 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

This is the NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell way of showing the players he means business after the the Ray Rice MMA elevator match with his wife.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

So, he was penalized for celebrating on the ground, because the official didn't realize he was praying. When this came to light, they removed the penalty... What's the problem again?

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
First the NFL made the right call by addressing this issue first thing this morning, getting ahead of it before it spirals into a giant poo storm.

The facts are as follows he slid into the traditional prayer stance for Muslim prayer, while he has every right to pray the sliding is against the rules.

My personal feeling while watching live on TV was the ref didn't throw the flag until he rested his head against the ground in a sign of prayer. That personally ruffled mine and many other people's feathers, thought not hussein Abdullah's he took it like the pro he is.

Another note Abdullah is a devote Muslim who took a year off of football to travel to mecca he also fast during Ramadan which takes place during training camp and preseason. It is widely known around the NFL what his religious beliefs are and he is not shy to expose on them when asked.

I personally was very excited when the chiefs took a chance on him when he came back to the NFL last year. 41-14 go Chiefs! !!!

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I have no problem with an outward display of praying during a football game. That being said, I'm going to church Sunday with ten of my friends and have a football game during mass. The priest will referee.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
When a player is hurt on the field you will see players from both teams take a knee and pray.
He was penalized for celebrating not praying.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Dude needs to fill out a "Hurt Feeling Report"

Rules are rules, except when it comes to muslims?? Really..

This is the game and these are the rules.. get used to it or over it... yer call.

It a white christian were to do this he would be under the same rule and no they would not take it back..just sayin.

Are we now to have one set of rules for muslims and one set for all other's?

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Next time he should bring his prayer rug and do the prayer more properly.

Converted Muslim in the US that are not from Arab countries are look upon with contempt by the Muslim Arab nations that practice true Islam

I say do not penalize the fool, we have after all freedom of Religion even if is practiced "improperly".

edit on 30-9-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: DogMeat
Rules are rules, except when it comes to muslims?? Really..

READ! He was not upset at all and the penalty was removed.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Trying to find a video that actually includes the slide(the actual supposed infraction) rather than just a montage of him catching the ball then cut to praying or just praying or everything else completely unrelated to the event/missing it in its entirety.
Because I can't honestly see how "sliding in" would be considered "showboating" outside of a very strict enforcement of "using the ground to celebrate"... which I then have to ask... if I'm standing on the ground, am I not using it?

But then the NFL has had no credibility for a long time.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join