It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food stamps coming to the UK

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Back in the day when people were unemployed and couldn't get a job, they became self employed and learned a trade - starting at the lowest rung of the ladder. If people could make a living being 'rag and bone men' then I'm sure there are a lot more people on benefits who could do something with their lives..

..but not everyone, didn't they tell you how the pyramid scheme of society works when you became a citizen?

watch the void.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

This is very wrong IMHO and at the next election I'm not voting Conservative!

And this idea will force a lot of people to go back to Labour or vote UKIP.

And unfortunately some people still havn't woken up to the fact that they are working in a Prison System.... they don't see that if you spend your whole life working 50 hours per week, you have no time for anything else... no time to enjoy life... no time to do what you want to do... not what the system says you should do. They hav'nt woken up to the fact that they are prisoners! Its exactly the same concept... There are CCTV everywhere (Just like at a Prison) and once inside your building, you are in there virtually all day (just like a prisoner). I could quote a great Monologue from 'The Matrix' here but I won't, if you havn't worked it out by now, you never will.

Unless, you are working Part-Time, then you have your Freedom to study something YOU want to do. It's all about your WANT to get up in the morning... it's your life after all. Why should anyone be made to do a job they don't want to do? No one should be made to do it, that is Slavery!

Seriously, you guys don't know what 'Freedom' is.

I remember when I quit work, you know what my answer was when the Benefits Officer asked me how I felt? I said 'Free', 'I feel Free'. She smiled and signed me off.

Another thing I'll tell you is that I've worked many different jobs and none of them gave me any pleasure... I'm now doing something which I enjoy doing and what I WANT to get out of bed for....

You see, its all about that WANT.... Live to Work, not Work to Live.
edit on CDTFri, 03 Oct 2014 15:08:33 -0500u3103x133x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
How about because its the gov who is giving them the money?

The government gives a lot of people money. This is a very slippery slope you don't want to go down. I bet the government has subsidized something you partake in. Should they dictate how you do it?

How about because tax payers (the ones who give the gov the money to give to these people) want to know its not being spent on booze or down the pokies/slot machine/fruit machines?

This is an issue with the product not the store is it not?

How about because its an incentive to get off your ass and find work so you dont have to answer to anyone how you spend your EARNED money?

Most of the people in the US who get assistance work, I know things are different in the UK but you have more getting help (percentage wise) and lower unemployment. With food stamps inparticular over 50% of recipients are working and getting minimum wage, I imagine it's higher in the UK. Are you supporting a system where the employer doesn't have to pay enough for the employees to live, but then the state gets to take freedoms away from said working employee just because they're having to subsidize wages? I don't think that's the social structure you're intending on where the poor are less free than the rich.

How about because it is a way of ensuring the money stays in circulation and keeps the local economy ticking over as opposed to being buried in the backyard of some drug dealer?

Again, this is an issue of the products a person is buying, not where they shop. The more legitimate things a person can buy, the more economic activity they'll create.

So far the only reason Ive heard is that by giving these people hand outs you in theory stop them from committing crimes, to me that almost seems like bribery or paying tribute.
The Romans paid off the Vandals and Goths to keep them from running amok, to be honest thats basically what this seems like "here take this pittance, we dont want anything in return just dont cause any trouble"

Are drug rehab centers bribery or paying tribute? The better a populations quality of life is the happier and more productive they are. They also happen to be more law abiding.
edit on 3-10-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JAK

I'm in the USA so i know nothing about UK issues.
I do know that from reading your replies, you seem pro death/pro-suffer to all those down on their luck or can't find work or those who need to eat.

That's stomach churning.
I work 40 hrs a week at my factory job 5 days a week at 9 dollars an hour (min wage here is 7.25 so 9 an hour is FAR Above min wage) and I still am barely making enough to get by. Even when I cap off at max pay of 10.91 in 6 months, I will barely be able to survive. My rent is 400 dollars a month for my 2 bdrm old trailer, my electric and water bills total up to 120, we do not have television but we do have internet which is 15 dollars a month. And my school loan payback (Which I was going for my Bachelors as up to 2012, 3/4 of the way done but loans ran dry so I can not return until I repay the 58k I owe) is 500 a month. Food, can barely afford it but do anyway. I do not have a vehicle because I owe 1800 dollars on license from a speeding ticket and no insurance ticket. No DUI, no nothing. Just fines that grew with interest over the years. So all I have is a home, an old laptop that barely runs and I work my tail off. I'm getting on food stamps so my son and I can eat. I don't even have insurance because I can't afford it.

so I should die? I'd be better off dead? THIS is life for the working poor. We work 40 hrs a week busting tail in a rubber producing plant (rubber as in for doors, engines, anything which requires the need for rubber, not pencil erasing rubber or sexual rubber) that has no ac, is hard hard work, put in long days, sometimes overtime but rarely.... and STILL have to get help to make ends meet.

Such is America. Work your butt off and still suffer. I'd rather work and have that pride, though sadly one's pay dictates the depth of pride as well. But according to how I interpreted your reply to folk, it's better for those who need govt help to die. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
People disgust me at times.

Now if you mean those who are healthy and sit on their butts day in and day out blowing money on stupid stuff and playing vid games and online all the time and so on, yeah, point made. But STATE that. Else everyone who needs help, even the hard working folk, will take it to mean them.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
a reply to: mr-lizard

Can you give me a sincere reason why an unemployed person should shop were the government tells them to shop?

How about because its the gov who is giving them the money?

That's a dictatorship. 'We give you YOUR hard earned tax back in the form of cards that you can spend where we decide'

How about because tax payers (the ones who give the gov the money to give to these people) want to know its not being spent on booze or down the pokies/slot machine/fruit machines?

How about because the people on the dole are and have been tax payers all their lives. People need outlets, people need comfort even in the form of small luxuries. To deny people that is a dictatorship.

Even if they DO spend it on cigarettes, you do realise cigarettes / booze are TAXED right?

How about because its an incentive to get off your ass and find work so you dont have to answer to anyone how you spend your EARNED money?

That's an assumption without substance. Unless you truly believe people don't want jobs.

How about because it is a way of ensuring the money stays in circulation and keeps the local economy ticking over as opposed to being buried in the backyard of some drug dealer?

Make your mind up. You were just arguing against the money being taxed on cigarettes and booze. Do you know how an economy works? It sounds like you really have no idea what you're saying to be asbolutely honest. Educate yourself, honestly it doesn't hurt.

I could keep going but I wont.

Small blessings.

Maybe you could tell me why the Gov should give any money at all to those who are fully capable of working?

If they're fully capable of working, then that suggests they're either in work or seeking work. Why shouldn't they have lives whilst they search for jobs?

So far the only reason Ive heard is that by giving these people hand outs you in theory stop them from committing crimes, to me that almost seems like bribery or paying tribute.

That's some warped, conservative rubbish right there. Absolute nonsense.

People deserve a life. People are not machines. I PAY taxes, it bothers me not one bit if people occasionally treat themselves to something that will give them a little bit or morale.

I'm more concerned that people like yourself are gaining any access to social power. You seem to have absolutely no idea how an economy works. Society needs safety nets.

Truly, your mindset is disturbing and a sad reflection of how soulless society is becoming. Shame on you. I pity you, and I hope one day you educate yourself.
edit on 3-10-2014 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
It is a scam!
the MP's are geting paid off by Tescos.
or who ever gets to be the one shop to use the card at.

ther dant care what they do with the money.
they just give them it
and thats thire bit done.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Here's a link to sign and share. To protests against these fascist things..

you.38degrees.org.uk...

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: sarra1833

Well done and well said.

Hope you get out of your predicament someday! It can suck when you put everything in but feel you are getting nothing out.

Work your whole Life and end up with nothing!

Peace be with you.
edit on CDTSat, 04 Oct 2014 06:19:20 -0500u3106x120x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Coudn't pick up your link but I will try to get in and vote.

Our country has been highjacked by a tiny group who think they know if all and can do whatever they like with our politics by putting people in parliament who will pass the laws that keep the majority of people here living on the breadline, and their heirs maintained to the custom they have come use to.

I don't share one thing in common with the people in parliament today they might have come from the moon yet they put themselves into a position that governs mine and the majority's lives. They make decisions that the majority - in a democracy - wouldn't agree with and reap the benefit of other country's wrath onto the heads of innocent people who have no power over the decisions the government takes - usually purely for the benefits of the corporations with whom they keep their money safely tucked away in in the form of shares. The law of disclosure of interest when making laws doesn't seem to apply to anyone in parliament today - they just step over their own laws as though they don't exist yet prosecute the little person if they so much as think about transgressing some petty law they put in place.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

To call a government a dictatorship for limiting the places one csan spend money given as a handout by that gov is making light of dictatorships if you ask me. Ask people who live in actual dictatorships if they can see a comparison.

I know of plenty of people who were receiving the dole and had barely worked at all, not teenagers, men and women mid to late 20s.

I realise that booze and cigs are taxed and heavily so, are you aware the money generated from taxes doesnt come close to covering the amount spent on the healthcare for these people. Im a drinker and smoker so Id like you to point out either in this thread or any other where I have told someone they shouldnt smoke or drink or where I mentioned the tax applied to them. Ill help you out here, you wont find any because I never said any such thing or even implied it.

Sorry but your also making assumptions and one based less on reality than mine by saying those on benefits must be looking for work. How do you make that leap of logic??

Instead of insulting me how about explaining how an economy works if I got it so wrong? But rereading what I wrote and then what youve written it would seem its you who doesnt have a clue.

People deserve the right to be able to provide for themselves and there families, they dont deserve to have someone do it for them!!!!!

Im likewise glad people like you arent in power, youd give in to every whiner and lazy ass fecker who feels like they are owed something instead of going out and working for it.

You want to improve your lot in life or have luxuries and holidays, get a fricken job and do as you please!!!!
You dont work, you get bare minimum to survive till you do work. Why should I pay for someone elses holiday or even a trip to the movies?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   
You know why schemes like this gain traction?

It's because people like me are sick of working hard trying to help chavs who won't help themselves. I can't give my employment details on here due to sensitivity concerns but, you know, when you are talking to a crying mother, trying to get her some money because she sounds absolutely desperate and hasn't got a washing machine or a cooker in the house and three kids to support, and you offer some information they need to write down and they respond with " hang on, I'll just type it into my iPhone" you just think WTF??????

This represents only a fairly small proportion of the people I work with, but a significant one, and I can see why some would welcome vouchers or cards as a good idea.

BTW, the scenario I describe as an example above actually happened to me. I was gobsmacked that she values having an iPhone over life's essentials.
edit on 7-10-2014 by waynos because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join