It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group: HubbleRobotic Rescue Mission Uncertain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
A major advisory group has estimated that a robotic mission to rescue the Hubbel would cost up to $2 billion dollars and have a 50:50 percent chance of success. This could doom any future plans to rescue the system. We really need regime change at NASA. O'Keefe seems to be pressing for the demise of the Hubble even though astronauts have voulenteered in droves for the mission

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - Trying to save the famed Hubble Space Telescope with a robot would cost $2 billion with just a 50-50 chance of success, an aerospace research group is advising NASA in the coming days.

And that thumbs-down is likely to be preceded by another potentially negative finding from the National Academy of Sciences due to report on Wednesday.

Both reports could spell doom for the popular, aging Hubble, whose fans have lobbied heavily to get it repaired to prolong its life and continue its stream of stunning and revealing pictures from space.
Hubbell

[edit on 12/7/04 by FredT]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
feh. feh feh feh.

i wish, just for once, that someone would do something to help hubble. i'd think that legislators would have pushed for more money for the program, its very popular with the people electing them.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Well this is what he had to say this summer about it..
Of all the robots that have been proposed for saving Hubble, including NASA�s own humanoid Robonaut, Dextre holds the most promise for being ready on time, said Al Diaz, NASA�s science mission boss.
�As it turns out, we haven�t found any tasks that I would characterize as being outside the capability range of the robot that we have planned,� Diaz said in a news briefing. �Now I think, though, you have to take into consideration the risk that�s associated with doing those tasks.�

If i'm correct it was the Canadians who came up with the robotics'dextre'..
And was'nt it initially planned for 2011...
Astronomers have said they would be at a loss if Hubble is abandoned and the Webb is lost in a rocket explosion or has crippling design flaws.

Here are some pics,
hubblesite.org...

new topics

join