It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick Question About Dog ID Tags (What Info To Include)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Admittedly a somewhat stupid question. In my defense, I have had a very long day and a few glasses of wine.

I'm getting my boy a new collar with a "scruff tag" and was wondering what information you all think I should include on it. It's a nice leather collar and there is a metal plate that connects the two leather pieces and sits on the back of the neck. I think it looks better, and I would like to eliminate the tag jangle.

So, I'm just doing his name and my phone number. For some reason I feel like I'm missing something. They give you 4 lines to engrave. I was thinking maybe his pet license number, or micro chip number, but that seems redundant if he's found with the collar. Again, long day.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I just put my dog's name, phone number (yes. He has his own iPawn), and address on his tags. If you don't want your address, maybe the vet's address will be better if he has a tracer chip. That way if they take him there, the vet can then contact you.

I don't know what else would go there...

What he enjoys? Long walks on the beach, chasing balls, and sand boxes?

His favorite kibble? Movie?

I'm teasing you Domo. That's a nice collar btw. Do you have a link for something similar handy? I have mine with a dainty necklace sort of collar and he keeps getting out of it every time I turn around.
edit on 9/30/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Smartypants.

Domo's dog enjoys a nice stroll 5 times a day, making an appearance at the dog park at least 3 times a week (less than an hour is unacceptable) and prefers to dine on whatever his owner is currently eating. In a pinch, the best dog food is acceptable, as long as there is praise and the occasional hot dog piece mixed in as a surprise. He requires scratches, pets, and enjoys the occasional smooch on the forehead. He is always allowed on the bed, and a pillow must be provided for his personal use. The couch may be off limits, but it's never off limits. Make sure to put something heavy in front of the fridge door, otherwise he will open it and stare at the contents, though he never steals food. He has yet to catch the bunny that plagues his dreams.

Here's A Link WIth Similar Collars And the one I'm about to order.

My girlfriend just got a new pup and was asking me to look at all these different dog tags (she found a better dog tag on a different site that I can't remember). Decided to click on collars on this site and saw this one. I had been wanting to get my buddy a leather collar with an info plate, so I clicked on collars and saw this. I like it more than the kind that are fastened with rivets, even though that's what I was initially hoping to find.

A few dogs at the dog park I go to have the leather collars with a brass plate that I really like. I'm still torn.

i think you can find some good ones on Amazon too.

Oh, if you're like me and you're tape measure is lost Google screen tape measure. I was going to some elaborate lengths to measure this pups neck.

My boy has taken over my spot on the couch so I'm sitting on the edge of my seat, getting poked by puppy paws and watching his eyes do that creepy thing where they roll back. His ears smell like tortillas.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Your dog sounds like my dog. I guess most of them do to an extent.

My boy's collar is one of those beaded chains (like people use to hang their dog tags (people tags lol) from), with a tag hanging from it. It jiggles constantly. And at the age of 3, he has decided that he would like to start chewing on it when he's bored. After a bit, I find that he has broken it off and I have to go in search for it.

This might be the alternative I need.

I literally lol'ed when you said his ears smell like tortillas. It's a running gag here that when our wee chihuahua gets hot/warm, he smells like corn chips. And he does. Exactly. When he cools off, no more corn chips lol.

I can picture you sitting on the edge of your couch now. It's funny how they take over everything just because they can. I always picture mine saying "I do what I want"... because he usually does.

But seriously, I think your the vet's address (I wasn't trying to sound like a smartarse during that one
) would be a good addition if you don't want to put yours. If he has a chip, that's probably the best thing you can put. I haven't had mine chipped yet, but he never goes outside unless he's being carried. We only really have a tag because I felt like people looked at him like an orphan when we would take him with us in the car... kind of like nobody cared enough to buy him one. It sounds silly, but there it is.

Thanks for the linky too.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   

What kind of dog do you have? Mine is about 50 lbs. and has snapped a few (fairly robust collars) getting squirrel crazy on long walks. I think I know what you're talking about with the chain. That would last a night over here.

I always think my pups smell like tortillas. Apparently their feet actually do (though I don't dare sniff dog feet). I can't remember what causes it, but I want to say some sort of yeast thing. There are a TON of people that apparently smell their dogs feet. I think I'm weird for smelling the top of the head... I just leaned over and sniffed my boy's ear, still tortilla. He said "rrrrrghhhhh".

My family has always been very pro adopting. I got my guy from a shelter so he came with a microchip. I'm thinking it's redundant to put that on the collar. The thing just leads back to my name and number.

Just bit the bullet and ordered the collar. My boy's name and my phone number. They had an option to order through Amazon which enabled my laziness.

The picture is of a dog that looks almost exactly like mine, though obviously younger. The markings are incredibly similar to the point I wonder if this is a close puppy relative. Only difference is that my buddy has gold eyes, every other marking is the same that I can see.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Aww... I bet he's a bonafide beauty.

If beauty makes you uncomfortable since he's a well... A he... We can go with tiny handsome.

Here's my hairy son -

Looking every bit that he's not ashamed of himself and also, sans his collar. As usual lol. I'm not sure what his feet smell like, because like you... I'm not going there. But the rest is corn chips all the way on a hot day. It very well could be something bacterial, because most dogs I have eve been around have the same scent. It would make sense.

And yes, you are right about the redundancy. I didn't think about it like that. I think I could have gotten mine chipped when they neutered him at the SPCA for an extra $15 and for the life of me, I can't quite recall why I didn't go ahead and have it done. I guess I was thinking that losing his male parts may be a bit much already. An insult to injury type of thing. Who knows? It's definitely something I am going to do if we ever decide on getting him another playmate.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Ha! Most people assume he's a girl dog. He's a little too pretty. There's also the assumption that I got him from a breeder, nope. I got him from the same place most of the people around here adopt from. I'm pretty sure he was ditched because the owners were aware he needed some some expensive surgery to fix his knees. Thousands later and carrying him everywhere while he was in a cast for three months (once per leg so 2xthousands and months) and my guy is a happy pup with a happy owner. I certainly don't miss carrying a 50 lbs. dog up and down 3 flights of stairs a few times a day, but I'm glad I did.

I would probably try to steal your dog. Adorable. I'm a horrible dog snuggler and have a tendency to smooch. That pup would get spoiled rotten if we met. If you're ever near Seattle and need a dog sitter, I'm available.

You should get the chip done. It's basically just a shot with a sightly larger needle. Dogs are way less candy ass than us humans. I think it's super cheap too, maybe $45. Worth it if your buddy gets lost. Saves time, money and heartache. I think all shelters in WA won't let you adopt a dog without it being neutered/spayed and chipped. Surprised it's optional. Are you sure it's not a thing where the dog is chipped but you have to register it?

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I tell my dog he's pretty all the time. When my daughter was much younger, she had a hard time figuring out how a boy dog could be pretty lol. It happens!

Your guy is lucky to have you. Not many people would do that for any animal. Being an owner of chihuahuas, I am all too aware of leg problems unfortunately. It's a lot a money when you look into fixing anything like that. People want a cute little puppy to love forever until it needs medical help... Then it's not as cute anymore and that is terrible.

And I'm a dog snuggler too, so he would be all to willing to already snuggle with you. He's spoiled x10.

I don't think it's been too long here since they made the chip mandatory from the shelter/SPCA. The last time I went it was still a choice but the spay/neuter was not. We've been thinking about adding on, so I might find out if the chip is mandatory here shortly.

new topics

top topics

join