It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crowd Source! Coming up with a name for this....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I did an experiment today using a cardboard sign. Instead of asking people for their money I asked them for a job. I started doing this today around 2 and by 4 o'clock I was working on someone's backyard.

So this beg's the question.... What would you call someone like this?

This isn't the illegals hanging around home depot looking for work, this is actually going onto a street corner where you would usually find beggars or pan handlers. And holding up a sign that say's

"WILL YOU HIRE ME?????"

On the back I wrote the following:

"I DON'T WANT YOUR $$.
I NEED A JOB.
FOOD IS APPRECIATED.
A JOB IS THANKFUL."

On the money sign I did it in a fashion where it was circled and crossed out. I also wrote a www and circled it and crossed it out. I don't want to be treated like an android and going onto a website to "apply." I want to talk directly to these people. I wanted a job to do...

I had several people offer me money. I shook my head and pointed at the sign that says I don't want your $$. Within 10 minutes of some people they actually brought me food. Burgers, sandwiches, candy, soda, water. I had been handed two business cards and told to call a number by another. But I didn't want to do that. It seems so inhuman. I was happy that these people would go out of their way to feed me but what I really wanted was a job. It wasn't until later in the day that someone actually picked me up to do some yard work. He ended up paying me 40 bux for the day and I am going back tomorrow to finish out the yard for another 40.

The experiment proved me wrong. I didn't think anyone would hire me at all. But now that I have done something with this it prompted me to nick name it.

What would you call someone like this? It is obviously not panhandling. And hired help only makes sense in the business world when you work under the table for a company. So I was wondering what nick names you guys could come up with and why you would call someone that?

The best answer I could come up with is a "Nick" - Transitive Verb: 'in the Nick of time.' Or 'to catch at the right point or time.'

My real first name is Nick... And it seemed so ironic that I was able to get someone to hire me at a point where I really needed money. And the other person didn't have time to do his yard work himself. I figured using this definition to define someone's job profession is to be a nick could be socially acceptable and easy to remember.

Can you guys come up with something better?

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
BADASS For Hire!

"Hire me because I'm the

Best At Delivering Amazingly Superior Service."

Your sign will stand out.

Peace

edit on 29-9-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Nice word play and acronym.... But.... how would the public perceive it? Might be coming on a little too strong don't ya think? While I might be good I wouldn't consider myself amazingly superior to someone else. Just able to deal with a lot of BS that jobs have.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: GiulXainx
a reply to: jude11

Nice word play and acronym.... But.... how would the public perceive it? Might be coming on a little too strong don't ya think? While I might be good I wouldn't consider myself amazingly superior to someone else. Just able to deal with a lot of BS that jobs have.

Ok,,

JOTS

Johnny On The Spot

Safe.

Peace

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: GiulXainx

Great initiative.

Try to keep in mind that everyone else with a job that was in your position at one point or another had to do the things you would prefer not to ,to get hired.

Being willing and hardworking are two of the things I value in an employee the most, following the same procedures as everyone else is the third thing I look for.

If someone is unwilling to follow the hiring process of a company, how is an employer expected to think they will follow through with the job requirements as is, and not "do their own thing"?

Working for someone is like joining a team, even when working for yourself or individuals.

My advice is to use your method to get those cards and numbers and then go through with the interview process. You may just get a very good job out of it.

I applaud your ethic.

Cheers

new topics

top topics

join