posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 05:19 PM
1. Always keep wordpress up to date.. prevents someone from exploiting a hack
2. Keep your plugins up to date for the same reason
3. Enable akismet, it's free if your site is not commercial.. you just need to get an API key.. it's great at blocking comment spam
4. There are tons of great plugins that are free.. httbl is one that I use a lot.. I usually just search for "security" or "spam"
5. Enable captcha, it's not flawless but it keeps out a lot of the botspam
I do a TON of work with wordpress and joomla.. that's just some basic suggestions
IMPORTANT: Back up your site files and database prior to upgrading, not every upgrade goes smooth... and test things after.. especially important if
things have gotten too far out of date.
edit on 9/29/2014 by miniatus because: (no reason given)